• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As release is almost upon us tomorrow, I want to say that I hope you will enjoy Battle for the Bosporus! Today I will be showing the changelog, mention some cool stuff we are giving out for free and also talk about an onboarding experiment we will be running soon… so lets jump in!

Changelog
################################################################
######## Update 1.10.1 "Collie" ########
################################################################

####################################
# Battle for the Bosporus Country Pack
- New Focus Tree for Greece
- New Focus Tree for Turkey
- New Focus Tree for Bulgaria

# Features
- Reworked Focus Tree for Yugoslavia (Death or Dishonor)
- Reworked and tweaked the starting position for Romania (Death or Dishonor)
- added a number of new releaseable nations to the game
- The Heavy Cruiser 3d Asset Pack has been merged into the base game
- added a special infantry model with Pickelhaube for Unaligned Germany (Waking the Tiger)

##################################
# Bugfix
- Fixed a bug where Serbia was using the incorrect country colours.
- Banning Communism or Fascism should now also remove foreign communist/fascist influence national spirits.
- fixed foreign equipments not showing up under stockpiles ui
- Yugoslavia may now complete industry focuses if the owner of the province is their subject
- fixed enemy ship count now showing up in strategic region ui
- added some missing descriptions of special ship hulls (MtG only)
- Fixed some mods being erroneously removed at game start
- The external actor on the losing side of a civil war no longer get their units wiped if they were in the winner's territory as long as the civil war did not become a full blown out war
- Yugoslavia will now lose the Anti-German Military spirit if the military has already instigated a coup.
- Rocket sites will now properly delete remaining stock when captured and not crash the game further down the line
- fixed a missing national spirit icon in the French tree
- fixed some issues with AI operative assignments that was trying to make them assign same operative multiple times
- Fixed operative being stuck on rescue mission when there are no operative left to rescue
- Added a nudger generated file to the list of files to backup and remove by the Clear Cache action
- Added missing "do nothing" option to an event
- Set ROM starting ruling party to non-aligned
- Updated Institute Royal Monarchy focus to start with 65% Non-Aligned support
- Fixed a typo in wtt_events_l_english.yml for Germany Anti-Soviet Pact news pop-up
- removed Italian_generic_land_4 soldier and added Britain_generic_land_6 soldier instead.
- new hat for error dog
- added portrait to vanilla GER

# Balance
- naval supremacy is now scaled to a percentage depending on enemy intel level instead of getting reduced to 0% at low intel
- Germany can no longer annex Yugoslavia with a single focus and no input from the Yugoslavian player under certain circumstances

# Stability & Performance
- improved performance of national focus gui when there are focuses with many prerequisites or expensive allowed triggers
- Fixed OOS triggered by displaying the description of some focuses and event effects
- Improved performance of CPoliticalMinister that was evaluating decision with an ai_factor of zero
- Fixed CTD when interacting with the army portraits while merging armies
- Fixed CTD in AI code
- Added allowed trigger for ai strategy plans
- Fixed CTD related to carrier air missions
- Fixed OOS caused by localized state name
- Fixed CTD caused by effect from history trying to access the not yet initialized graphical map

# Modding
- add the modifiers navy_leader_start_level, navy_leader_start_attack_level, navy_leader_start_defense_level, navy_leader_start_maneuvering_level, navy_leader_start_coordination_level to match the sames for army_leader.
- Fixed has_dlc trigger to return false when the name of the dlc is not known
- Added support for nesting localization strings, i.e. use a localization key within another localization string, enabling strings like "Unlock $nukes$ in the $technology$ screen" where 'nukes' and 'technology' are localization keys.
- Added support for dollar signs in localization strings. Normally a dollar sign denotes the start or end of a variable. With this change "$$" will produce a single dollar sign in the resulting string.
- add_equipment_to_stockpile effect now accepts variables as producer
- added faction_leader scope change
- added custom_modifier_tooltip support for dynamic modifiers
- added add_victory_points/set_victory_points effects
- Added console command Audio.PlayEffect to play a scripted sound effect at will
- added can_be_produced trigger to equipments so they can be blocked for certain countries for production
- Added the ability to specify a variable refering to an idea for triggers and effect has_idea, add_ideas, remove_ideas, swap_ideas, add_timed_idea and modify_timed_idea
- Added support for the triggers is_enemy, is_friend and is_neutral to adjacency rules to enable script to determine which rule to use. Evaluation order is documented in adjacency_rules.txt.
- Added global.province_controllers game variable array that returns an array containing the controller for each province, where array index is mapped to province ID. For example global.province_controllers^4135 returns the controller of Gibraltar.
- Added equipment buildable trigger

# Database
- Added a series of decisions for Yugoslavia to promote a communist uprising in Bulgaria, Albania, and other Balkan nations
- Added General entry for Constantin Sanatescu
- Hooked Iraqi fascist leader into vanilla
- Added Kurdistan tag, history, and leaders

Heavy Cruiser Pack now free for all!
thumbnail.png

When we stopped selling the Colonel Edition and moved most of the cosmetics there to new armor packs instead we had nowhere to put our Heavy Cruiser pack and we figured it would just be a nice thing to give it away to everyone for this update - so thats what we did! It will now be baked in. The pack contains the following ships 3d models :
France - Algérie
USA - Baltimore
UK - Exeter
Soviet - Kirov
Japan - Mogami
German - Prinz Eugen
Italy - Trieste Class

Onboarding Experiments
Hearts of Iron is not a game known for how easy it is for new players to get into it... and that is probably not going to change ;D But we do feel like we could do a lot better job at helping new players out here. We have a lot of ideas around improving the pretty basic tutorial, more context help and helping you see changes in patches and such that we dream of doing, but much of this is still in some far away potential future. Right now though we have gotten help from our awesome experiment group at Paradox Arctic in testing some stuff on you all. Well some of you at least...

See we are doing this as a test to compare how the changes affect new players so the system will automatically enable it only for certain people next week, so do not worry if you see stuff your friends aren't or the other way around.

So what have we actually done? We have integrated little short video clips tied to alerts and such to help illustrate how to deal with them. These are also accessible from the ingame menu for browsing. Do note that this is not some full coverage of features yet, but we hope it will be enough to see if there is any impact on new player behaviors and if it works out there is a good chance we will record and add more in the future if we roll it out for everyone.

Here are some pictures of how it looks:
1602622933726.png

1602623025795.png

1602623057297.png

So see you all tomorrow for the release and for some followup diary the week after :) Oh and because you will ask. The release is aimed to go out in the afternoon tomorrow, but hey its 2020 so I don't dare give you any exact times ;D

I don't know if this is on purpose or not, but the Battle for the Bosporus isn't listed as an 'Expansion' like every other DLC of this type on the Steam page.

nu2a.png

I am also really hyped btw :)

Last edited:
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
please, add the region of northen dobruja to romania! (just take the coastal part of muntenia and make it a state, that way it will be more historical accurate)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Isn't that kind of how Tyrol gos stuck with Italy, despite being predominantly German?
The alternatives to the focus seems to imply that the "Slavic Transylvania" covers only Banat, not entire Transylvania, so I would see this as tearing Banat from Transylvania under flimsy pretenses of uniting it with Western Banat.
As far as I know, South Tyrol ended up in Italy due to winning World War I. I'm not aware of any Italian demands for autonomy of South Tyrol based on ethnic reasons.
Tearing Banat from Transylvania under pretenses of uniting it with Western Banat is a fine pretext, especially when considering that in 1919 - 1920 Romania and Yugoslavia had a diplomatic dispute over Banat, with both of them claiming all of Banat.
But tearing all of Transylvania under the pretenses of granting autonomy to the Slavs in Transylvania doesn't even work as a pretext due to Slavs being less than 8% of the population of Transylvania, while Romanians being 58%.

I'm aware that throught history, rulers have used any sort of pretext and excuse to annex more territory, but they had to be believable excuses. Even if you disagree that Yugoslavia should have all of Banat, at least you can understand the reasoning of reuniting Banat. Even Stalin when he invaded Poland, he did so under the pretext of protecting Ukrainians and White Russians. And he claimed that Finland attacked first in 1940. But what is the reasoning of requesting autonomy to a region based on ethnic reasons, when the ethnicity in question is less than 8% of the population of that region?

Reactions:
I don't know if this is on purpose or not, but the Battle for the Bosporus isn't listed as an 'Expansion' like every other major DLC on the Steam page.

View attachment 641555

I am also really hyped btw :)
It's not a major DLC, just a conent pack with some focus trees. It wasn't even made in-house.

There will be some post release diaries of course (so we can show stats, talk bug fixes and such like normal). We will see if we need a break until we start 1.11 'Barbarossa' diaries. Probably at least a short one is needed but we will see :)
Er.. such short break would likely last up to mid January, no?
Since we're already in mid October, we can expect the post release DD to go into early November, so if a break of even a few weeks is taken, it'll likely overlap with vacations.

Sorry for sounding so petulant, I'm craving for news of this "Barbarossa" thing (whatever it may be about;))

As far as I know, South Tyrol ended up in Italy due to winning World War I. I'm not aware of any Italian demands for autonomy of South Tyrol based on ethnic reasons.
Tearing Banat from Transylvania under pretenses of uniting it with Western Banat is a fine pretext, especially when considering that in 1919 - 1920 Romania and Yugoslavia had a diplomatic dispute over Banat, with both of them claiming all of Banat.
But tearing all of Transylvania under the pretenses of granting autonomy to the Slavs in Transylvania doesn't even work as a pretext due to Slavs being less than 8% of the population of Transylvania, while Romanians being 58%.

I'm aware that throught history, rulers have used any sort of pretext and excuse to annex more territory, but they had to be believable excuses. Even if you disagree that Yugoslavia should have all of Banat, at least you can understand the reasoning of reuniting Banat. Even Stalin when he invaded Poland, he did so under the pretext of protecting Ukrainians and White Russians. And he claimed that Finland attacked first in 1940. But what is the reasoning of requesting autonomy to a region based on ethnic reasons, when the ethnicity in question is less than 8% of the population of that region?
Is it really that much flimsier than other justification of the era? The Marco polo bridge incident and soviet occupation of the baltics had even less basis in reality imo.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is it really that much flimsier than other justification of the era? The Marco polo bridge incident and soviet occupation of the baltics had even less basis in reality imo.
Yes, at the Marco Polo bridge incident the Japanese claimed the Chinese attacked them. While the Soviet Occupation of the Baltics started as a grant to military access, followed by attempt to install puppet regimes and culminating with the Soviets claimed that the Baltic states are collaborating against the Soviet Union.

Consider Yugoslavia makes such a claim, not only that Yugoslav people themselves can see the ridiculousness of such pretext, Slavic autonomy for a region with hardly any Slavs, but the international community would treat it as a joke. In the Soviet cases, there were no cameras, so the USSR could claim they were attacked by Finland and Finland would have no evidence to prove otherwise, you can't prove it's true, but can't prove it's false either. But here, the falsehood is self-evident, and this focus is meant to be on the non-aligned/democratic path.

Reactions:
Yes, at the Marco Polo bridge incident the Japanese claimed the Chinese attacked them. While the Soviet Occupation of the Baltics started as a grant to military access, followed by attempt to install puppet regimes and culminating with the Soviets claimed that the Baltic states are collaborating against the Soviet Union.

Consider Yugoslavia makes such a claim, not only that Yugoslav people themselves can see the ridiculousness of such pretext, Slavic autonomy for a region with hardly any Slavs, but the international community would treat it as a joke. In the Soviet cases, there were no cameras, so the USSR could claim they were attacked by Finland and Finland would have no evidence to prove otherwise, you can't prove it's true, but can't prove it's false either. But here, the falsehood is self-evident, and this focus is meant to be on the non-aligned/democratic path.
Considering that this is the same international community that threw Austria, Czechoslovakia, poland, china, Ethiopia, Albania, finland, and Yugoslavia itself under the bus, I somehow think no one would make that big of a fuss over romania. And it's not like those very same democracies hadn't propped up minority rule in other places *cough* south africa and the Belgian Congo *cough*.

Edit: 69th response in the thread. Nice. :cool:

• 1Like
Reactions:
Count me among the people not excited about the return of the pikelhaube. That said, I assume we can adjust to a stahlhelm version of the uniform in the division designer? Still a buy...

Can you guys make an automatic system that you can let AI do things? for example, I don't like to command the troops, the front line. So, there is an option allow AI to control the military movement, and I can focus on the construction or something else?

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Considering that this is the same international community that threw Austria, Czechoslovakia, poland, china, Ethiopia, Albania, finland, and Yugoslavia itself under the bus, I somehow think no one would make that big of a fuss over romania. And it's not like those very same democracies hadn't propped up minority rule in other places *cough* south africa and the Belgian Congo *cough*.

Edit: 69th response in the thread. Nice. :cool:
Like Stalin, Hitler too used pretexts for the annexation of Austria and Czechoslovakia. Countries need to play nice or at least to appear nice. If he wouldn't have, and would have made his intentions clear from the beginning, it is likely the international community would have been more firm and less applesing in dealing with him.

You may be right that no one would make a fuss about Romania. But at the same time, nobody would take Yugoslavia's demand seriously, including Romania.

If they are going for full military strength, why not go full honest "we are stronger than you and want to divide you", like Romania can do in its focus, rather than use a joke pretext that is self-evident how ridiciulous it is, autonomy for a region because less than 8% of the population in that region are your people.

The same democracies colonized Africa in the name of racism and bringing Christianity. Romania is in Europe, white and Christian. And the minority rule was imposed after the region was colonized, I don't think the British and the French used very small ethnic British or French minorities in Africa as an excuse to invade.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Great work, guys!!! But, as a regular British Raj player I have two questions:

1. Could the Turkish faction management system (Kemalist states vs Traditionalist states) be implemented in Raj as well, so that clever faction management could prevent separatism in East and West Pakistan?

2. Please please please fix the fascist/communist civil war path for independent India!!!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I really hope there is a way to disable the heavy cruiser pack, The french cruiser causes nasty graphics artifacts for me under Linux since man the guns.
Changed graphics card, disto and driver versions and nothing seems to fix that.

Reactions: