• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Gudromstein

Recruit
Apr 15, 2020
It's December 1940 and im playing with Germany. I had no problems to add Hungary, Italy, Japan, Finland, Thailand and Romania to axis faction but its different with Bulgaria.

I failed to trigger 'Bulgarian Claims' cause i added Romania too soon to axis faction, then i dont know what to do and I dont want to puppetize Bulgaria.

Is there any way to achieve it?

You can try to Influence them close enough to the Axis to admit, if their Neutrality is low enough. If it's close to 25 due to all of the GER and SU threat, but not quite low enough, it might require a few spies raising the SU's threat for a few months. If not close, then it's probably a choice of either console commands (cheat codes), forcibly puppeting them, or nothing.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You can try to Influence them close enough to the Axis to admit, if their Neutrality is low enough. If it's close to 25 due to all of the GER and SU threat, but not quite low enough, it might require a few spies raising the SU's threat for a few months. If not close, then it's probably a choice of either console commands (cheat codes), forcibly puppeting them, or nothing.
Thanks for reply

Then i think i have to use console commands because Bulgarian neutrality is 54 and the highest threat against them is 25 (SU).

How can i use console commands? Will it bug my game? I've read some comments that HOI3 have several bugs.

Console commands generally work as described, but if you tag-switch to another country to enact decisions or declare war goals, DO NOT start the clock! The AI can undo all of the nice organization and planning you've done over the past few weeks in the country you're playing in a matter of a second or two. I accidentally did that, ONCE, and ended up re-starting the campaign rather than deal with the mess. I would suggest saving your game, tag-switching and making the changes, tag-switch back, and then re-start the clock for at least a day of in-game time. If it's all looking as expected, THEN you can consider it a success. If not, you have the saved game to revert to.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Another way would be to edit the save game. Since it's just a text file, and you can use Notepad++ to work your way through it

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, with 54 Neutrality, you COULD boost Threat in the Soviet Union, and probably manage to admit Bulgaria to the Axis somewhere around 1950....

The original Espionage and Diplomacy functionality up to and through the Semper Fi expansion might have allowed a few options. Most of those actions were seriously nerfed to prevent abuse in Multi-Player, where 4-5 different countries would all spam the same mission against a target, and the sum of all of those actions could practically wreck countries, or force wild nonsensical changes of government in the next election. Picture the Axis with a Fascist Australia, Canada, and USA involved. A few of those actions were rather exploitable even in SP. Spam enough Threat on the UK and everyone else runs away from the Allies, rather than joining, with the result that the UK and France fight alone against GER, ITA, and the traditional Axis minors. Now, some of those actions are at a mere 1-2% of their original effect, and nearly pointless. They needed reduction by nearly an order of magnitude, and got almost two orders instead.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Console commands generally work as described, but if you tag-switch to another country to enact decisions or declare war goals, DO NOT start the clock! The AI can undo all of the nice organization and planning you've done over the past few weeks in the country you're playing in a matter of a second or two. I accidentally did that, ONCE, and ended up re-starting the campaign rather than deal with the mess. I would suggest saving your game, tag-switching and making the changes, tag-switch back, and then re-start the clock for at least a day of in-game time. If it's all looking as expected, THEN you can consider it a success. If not, you have the saved game to revert to.

Thanks you so much for helping me

Currently, I am playing FTM but in the past i used to play an older version. I fear if i should switch another nation while playing with Germany because I have some bad experience on this game and i have read that there are some bugs:

• Once i was playing with Germany and i decided to switch Italy in order to attach italian divisions to the Reich (i didnt start the clock) . After save my game and playing again with germans, my game crashed because Luxemburg refuse to surrender despite having the bar totally in red. I noticed it too late.
  • After that, I restarted my game and i was playing as usual, until one day my savegame was too heavy to be loaded ... it weight more than 300 000 kb!!! Since that day i use CCleaner (i read that someone recommended it) and at present I dont have that kind of problem.
  • Finally, i have read in this forum that some divisions suddenly vanish, and no one knows the reason.
Then i decided to buy the last HOI3 version (FTM) and i decided to play again with germans (maybe the last one) but right now i avoid to switch another nations while playing with this one and before start Hoi3 i run CCleaner.

Then my question is: Does FTM have bugs?

To answer the question in your previous post, yes. FTM has bugs. Plenty of them. Air Combat is bugged to a fare-thee-well, and naval combat needs plenty of love.

As to your second post, it wouldn't have to be a programmer. I've been editing my save games quite a bit.

• 1Like
Reactions:
…..
  • Finally, i have read in this forum that some divisions suddenly vanish, and no one knows the reason.
Then i decided to buy the last HOI3 version (FTM) and i decided to play again with germans (maybe the last one) but right now i avoid to switch another nations while playing with this one and before start Hoi3 i run CCleaner.

Then my question is: Does FTM have bugs?
First, FTM is not the final expansion. It was followed by Their Finest Hour. Even TFH has bugs, although the final patch for TFH does take care of a couple of them. The list of expansions is:
Semper Fi
For the Motherland
Their Finest Hour

You need each the previous expansions to install the latest, or else buy the full collection. In my opinion, the base game only became "marginally playable" after the 1.3 and 1.4 patches, and it wasn't until the final patch for Semper Fi that it really started to get decent.

I've seen units "vanish", but usually if you group-select everything in the province, they reappear. It seems to be a graphics issue. Then you have air units, which depending on settings, may run themselves to the point of destruction and "vanish". In my last game, I had a fleet in port, covered by INT based in the province, and with 4 CAGs in carriers as part of the fleet. The AI repeatedly sent ONE naval bomber or CAG at a time to bomb the fleet. They didn't return to base, and over the course of a year that had to exceed 4 wings of AI-controlled aircraft simply wiped out.

Since you don't have your game registered here on the Paradox site (no visible game icons in your signature block), you can't view the sections of the forum with patches and mods, and there are definitely patches for the game. You only need to load the last patch for the latest expansion you have, because the expansions include (and overwrite) the patches from the previous expansions. Enjoy.

• 1Like
Reactions:
First, FTM is not the final expansion. It was followed by Their Finest Hour. Even TFH has bugs, although the final patch for TFH does take care of a couple of them. The list of expansions is:
Semper Fi
For the Motherland
Their Finest Hour

You need each the previous expansions to install the latest, or else buy the full collection. In my opinion, the base game only became "marginally playable" after the 1.3 and 1.4 patches, and it wasn't until the final patch for Semper Fi that it really started to get decent.

I've seen units "vanish", but usually if you group-select everything in the province, they reappear. It seems to be a graphics issue. Then you have air units, which depending on settings, may run themselves to the point of destruction and "vanish". In my last game, I had a fleet in port, covered by INT based in the province, and with 4 CAGs in carriers as part of the fleet. The AI repeatedly sent ONE naval bomber or CAG at a time to bomb the fleet. They didn't return to base, and over the course of a year that had to exceed 4 wings of AI-controlled aircraft simply wiped out.

Since you don't have your game registered here on the Paradox site (no visible game icons in your signature block), you can't view the sections of the forum with patches and mods, and there are definitely patches for the game. You only need to load the last patch for the latest expansion you have, because the expansions include (and overwrite) the patches from the previous expansions. Enjoy.
Hi again. Thanks you for answering

I have a last question

Does Hearts of Iron 3 "Their Finest Hour" Version 4.02 is playable as any other game of any other video game brand?

I mean, Does it have so many bugs that can crash your game?

Last edited:
They're all playable in their own way from about 1.4 onwards as long as you have the most recent patch. That said, there are a few that can cause CTDs and most of these are corrected or documented.

Hi again. Thanks you for answering

I have a last question

Does Hearts of Iron 3 "Their Finest Hour" Version 4.02 is playable as any other game of any other video game brand?

I mean, Does it have so many bugs that can crash your game?
HOI3 with TFH has been quite stable on my machine, although I did have one incident a few weeks ago where the game minimized and then reverted to full screen after about 10-15 seconds, and ran fine from there. No idea why, but I've seen it happen with other programs in Windows 10. I think I've have about 1 actual crash in the past year, over probably 200-400 hours of playing time.

The few remaining bugs in TFH are mostly annoyances, not game-breakers, such as one province not getting supplies from my not-too-distant capital more than one or two days a month, despite having a garrison unit there for over a year. I moved the garrison division to the neighboring province, and it's had no supply issues since. I've also had units become invisible a couple of times, but group-selecting in the province made it reappear, or by selecting several provinces in the area if you don't know which one it's in. There are also a few wonky details in the decisions and surrender events, where a country may not get the provinces it expects due to the prioritization of war goals. Overall, it's about as buggy as most other brand software out there, which means it's not bug-free by any means, but can be played without much concern about game-breaking situations. I certainly can't say that about the base game, without patches or expansions to fix the mess that it was upon release.

Then i think i have to use console commands because Bulgarian neutrality is 54 and the highest threat against them is 25 (SU).
Just remembered this, probably a bit too late..... I believe a country can join the Axis faction if its neutrality is within 25 points of its highest threat, so you only need 4 points of additional threat to bring Bulgaria in. 50 Neutrality - 25 Threat = 4 points to go. That's doable by raising Threat in the Soviet Union with spies.

Last edited: