• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
mcaryf said:
A very useful aid - any chance of adding 1936 IC's and other data?

Mike
Yup, next updte should go this way. Also locating provinces (by both name or ID) is scheduled in upcoming release.

Panther II said:
Excellent tool. One wish your screenshot above has the grid coordinates (e.g. x - 15000, y - 8000), the internet site does not show them. Or have I missed something?
The screenshot above is outdated, but you can still show coorinates. You must set them on/off on the settings page (follow link "more settings" at the top of the map page, just below main controls).

Panther II said:
Outdated - oops. Maybe you think about including the values somehow again? Giving absolute coordinates, would be usefull in my opinion. I really like the way they are represented in the screenshot.
Yes, it is mentioned in the Suggestions scheduled for implementation ;)

Things are going forward. :) I've made preparations to enable hit-testing (first step to the context sensitive map) and I'm trying to find a satisfying way how to display political map now. Here is the picture how it looks after first attempts.

beta5-01.jpg

Last edited:
Development of next release of online map is going forward. I was mostly consolidating code, but now I'm getting to the "real things". It is not yet published, but here are few screenies.

NOTE: Screenshots are small just to save net traffic.

Grid and coordinates display
I've tweaked coords display. It now works in two major modes:

beta5_grid1.jpg

alpha-numeric

beta5_grid2.jpg

classic x-y coordinates

Drawing on map
It is now prepared for drawing lines, marks, text and also custom images on map.

beta5_draw1.jpg

example of usage

Other improvements and possibilities
Having hit-testing prepared, it is just one step to the context sensitive map. I'm now wotking on enabling province detail info, scenario sensitive information and other useful info hoi2 player might want to see. Another thing I'd like to implement is enabling you to import YOUR OWN save and view its data (map, province info, political situation, units).

Next release will contain victory points display, province search and province detail info. Front-end support for drawing on map will be enabled after these features are finished and tested.

During first half of next week 5th release should be off.

Last edited:
I must postpone release to the next week, since I'm too busy right now. This time it should be definite. It will be out till next week Friday.

Pre-release news

Recently I was preparing data to draw map correctly. There are still many questions, but it is already starting to look the way I want it to.

I was concentrating on the dynamic drawing of scenario-specific information on the map (ports, bases, AA batteries, fortifications, etc.). Including political map view. Here are some result I got (click to enlarge):

- These maps were drawn based on 1936 scenario.
- You can see country borders are still not finished.
- Symbols drawn on the map (particulary on 2nd picture from the left) are not based on 1936 scenario, I've filled some manually into the database to test the engine. In beta5 release, it'll be based on real 1936/38/39 data (i'm now dealing with loading of these information).

beta5_vp1.jpg

This is map mode displaying VP provinces. Less VP=lighter fill. Again, it is based on manually fed test data.

To sum it up, there should be following new functionality in beta 5, released this Friday:
- three map modes (terrain, political, victory points)
- two grid numbering modes (X/Y coords or simplified)
- two grid offset modes (absolute - grid starting at the beginning of the map, relative - grid starting at the beginning of current view)
- possibility to show/hide country borders, province installations or VP symbols
- display map based on different scenarios (initially 1936, 1938 and 1939)
- new zoom levels will be 1:1, 1:2, 1:4, 1:8, 1:16, 1:32 and 1:64
- minimap of world displaying current view rectangle
- ability to "save" current view and recall it again later (or share it with friend) as link

Things dependent on time (if I have lack of time, they'll be implemented later)
- drawing on the map
- possibility to load and view your game saved in .eug file
- advanced customization

Last edited:
This is getting better and better... keep it up :)

BETA 5 Released

OK, it is finally out. I'm sorry for one day delay, but I had some problems publishing new version to remote servers. Nonetheless it is out :) Enjoy. I'll post some descriptions and details later.

http://www.ederon.net/hoi2iom.aspx

Last edited:
Lord Ederon said:
OK, it is finally out. I'm sorry for one day delay, but I had some problems publishing new version to remote servers. Nonetheless it is out :) Enjoy. I'll post some descriptions and details later.

http://www.itworks.sk/hoi2map.aspx
What took you so long? ;) :D

No, seriously, outstanding work. This will come in handy for any future AARs.

Thanks for your work :)

Atruejedi said:
Yes, quite superb. If only you used my color mod... at least for the terrain map. ;)
Colors of terrain map won't change that easily, but colors used in other map modes are something that can change quite easily. :) So post any comments/suggestions how to change it and it may be changed.

Lord Ederon said:
Colors of terrain map won't change that easily, but colors used in other map modes are something that can change quite easily. :) So post any comments/suggestions how to change it and it may be changed.

See link in sig ;)

[EDIT]Oh crap, I just realized the download isn't working... :eek:o [/EDIT]

[EDIT AGAIN]

There, now the link works. Check it out. I specifically recommend it because the default colors in HOI2 make it incredibly hard to differentiate between "hills" and "desert" terrain.

[/EDIT AGAIN]

Last edited:
BETA 5 Features Summary

As I've promised, I'm now going to summarize new and changed features provided in BETA 5 of Interactive Online Map (IOM). I've also updated first two posts of this thread, so you can also get better overview what is available in IOM from there.

New in BETA 5
  • Map is now drawn based on data in the database
  • You can now choose from five scenarios (1936, 1938, 1939, 1941 and 1944)
  • Zoom levels are now 1:1, 1:2, 1:4, 1:8, 1:16, 1:32, 1:64 and 1:96
  • There are five modes you can view map in (terrain, political, victory point, infrastructure and industry)
  • There is now minimap indicating position of current view (you can also use it for jumping around the map)
  • Grids and coordinates style is now more adjustable by user
  • Province locator has been added - just supply province name and map will be centered on it
  • Province IDs are now displayed up to 1:4 zoom level
  • View size 400x300 has been added
  • You can turn on/off drawing of province installations (AA, forts, etc.)

What has changed in BETA 5?
  • Ability to adjust colors of grid, coordinates and province ID's was temporarily disabled
  • Sizes of grids you can choose from has changed.

What has to be solved till next release?
  • Country borders
  • Choice of colors for political map and other map modes
  • Performance

I'll now listen carefully to your feedback and slowly work on further enhancements. Keep commenting, there is yet much to do :)