• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mar 19, 2001
I'm wondering whether it is better to purchase the English or localized version (in my case German) and would much appreciate any advice regarding that question. Unfortunately, I recall that previous German translations weren't always complete, which was suboptimal, but not too great a problem. My concern is primarily its compatibility with various mods, utilities and pat...err...enhancements. :) As I do not own a credit card, purchasing directly from Paradox is somewhat problematic though I might get someone to do it for me - should the localized version face compatibility issues with the post-release official and fan-base stuff.

That reminds me of something. Would it not be better to have multiple language CDs? Those who'd want theirs in the localized or original version would then have that choice right out of the box. I believe that is very much in the interest of us customers and should certainly be closely considered by Paradox and its business partners.

Anyway, I am looking forward to HOI2. I skipped HOI given the various issues which scared me off. Might have gone for it once hearing that v1.06 was a good deal better, but figured I might as well wait for the upcoming HOI2 instead with its improved naval, logistics, R&D etc models and streamlining. Sounds like a good deal of the previous micromanagement chores involving lots of clicks but little decision-making are gone. That sounds very promising. Too much micromanagement has previously scared me off buying Victoria (or should I reconsider?) and prevents me playing Ck as much as I'd otherwise do. I found the numerous decisions forced upon me regarding some insignificant offspring of a courtier of mine most distracting. Such petty issues coming on to your table add no strategic depth and heads of dynasties should not be molested with such trivial matters.

In any case, the HOI games are complex beasts. It was to be expected that it was only truly going to come in its own after the initial version. After all, World in Flames - kinda the boardgame equivalent to HOI - also took six editions before settling down - improving much as the HOI games various aspects of the game.

Clemens August said:
I'm wondering whether it is better to purchase the English or localized version (in my case German)

From what I read here, the german version has some changes from the original that make purchasing the original version more appealing.

(unless you like a guy called 'Gorink' to lead your airforce or have a german head of state called 'Hinner', or something... :rofl: )

Plus, buying directly from Paradox gives more of your money to them, which helps the company more and allows for more great games in the future... :)

Lucianus said:
From what I read here, the german version has some changes from the original that make purchasing the original version more appealing.

(unless you like a guy called 'Gorink' to lead your airforce or have a german head of state called 'Hinner', or something... :rofl: )

Plus, buying directly from Paradox gives more of your money to them, which helps the company more and allows for more great games in the future... :)

That is indeed laughable. I'm all for not having any swastikas in the game, but Gorink etc is just dumb. What on earth brought them to do this sort of thing? If they refuse to write Hitler properly, then why do they wish to publish a WWII game in the first place. No point beating around the bush.

As for purchasing directly from Paradox, I'd be happy to do so, but I don't have a credit card. My bank has a quite high annual fee for that and I generally don't need one. Save in this one case. :( Pity they don't allow you to simply wire the money as Amazon does.

Clemens August said:
That is indeed laughable. I'm all for not having any swastikas in the game, but Gorink etc is just dumb. What on earth brought them to do this sort of thing? If they refuse to write Hitler properly, then why do they wish to publish a WWII game in the first place. No point beating around the bush.

Legal reasons..

And yes, thats what the USK people told us to do. You can't mention Hitler etc in a computergame in Germany.

Not much we can do when you guys want those laws.

Johan said:
Legal reasons..

And yes, thats what the USK people told us to do. You can't mention Hitler etc in a computergame in Germany.

Could you imagine what would happen if someone tried to abolish this law? :eek:
That would be as problematic as changing the american gun law... :D

Regards

edit: Oh and there probably won't be any problems with mods as these should work with a localized version. HOI 1 was actually published in Germany with both English and German version. Of course both of them were missing certain pictures.
Which reminds me: Hitler and Göring were named correctly in the German version of HOI 1!There just weren't any pictures. Why the fuss now with HOI2?

Well, simple put, if things go like with previous Paradox games, therer will be unofficial public betas at some point, and then you go with the English version no matter what. Except you might end up with a weird mixup of German and English :D

Johan said:
Legal reasons..

Hm... Well, USK is as far as I know voluntary. You don't have to have that certificate. However, if you do not have it, you can't sell it to minors (or - I'm not quite sure - put it on display where minors can see it). Obviously, everybody wants the USK certificate for those reasons.

I don't think there's any law saying that you can't use the word Hitler in a PC game. Swastikas etc are indeed outright forbidden. But the USK - an independent organization charged with the task of reviewing media output with most members doing it pro bono - will have its own views upon what's suitable or not - for a given age group.

Still, very stupid. I can see what's objectionable about Wolfenstein and such games. And I do very much agree there, but HOI seems to me very tame. Fine with me. Stuff like FPS however should IMO be 18+ (and some should be entirely forbidden IMO). Not good for society. Don't see how HOI can be bad for society or endanger youths. I trust nobody is going to become a Nazi because of playing the game.

Paradox should have used name and pictures from Monty Python's scetch with Adolf Hilter and Ron Ribbentorp