• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(14164)

Second Lieutenant
Jan 29, 2003
Visit site
(Updated: 8/22/03) HOI Unit Editor

First release of my HOI Unit Editor. Not every feature is currently in, but that will be forthcoming. Basic unit editing and loading of text.csv/modtext.csv is in, as well as 'naming' a unit (this appears as a comment in the unit file) and 'writing' the unit file out (the new file appears in the loaded unit directory with the tag '(new)' in front of the text file i.e. '(new)infantry.txt'.

Creating new models will be included in the next version.

The included dll, 'hoitools.dll', parses and loads all of the unit files, as well as 'text.csv/modtext.csv' this allows dynamic modifying of the values in *.csv files. The next version will automatically generate a 'modtext.csv' file based on changed 'text.csv' values.

This dll will also be the cornerstone for future programs, i.e. change one value in the Unit Editor and it will be updated in any other open program. This will allow unified mod development, at least in theory.

As always I need feedback and bugs so I can fix and update.

Ver 1
  1. Packaged msvcr71.dll in the zip file.
  2. Re-packaged to make sure everything was 'release'.
    [/list=1]
    Thanks,
    Grendel

Attachments

• hoi uniteditor(release) 0.1w.zip
    514,6 KB · Views: 925
Last edited:
Hmm...

The directory structure should be as follows (blue is a folder, red is a file):

Parent Folder {HOI UnitEditor, comon {hoitools.dll}}

I will release a new version later today which allows you to manually select the 'dll' file.

Thanks,
Grendel

Problems I found...

Great idea, Grendel2. I have found a couple of this and I still can't get it to work, but here are the first problems I found.

First, the program is looking for msvcr71.dll. It is not included with the zip file, so until it is just do a google search and find it on the net.

Next, it can't find the hoitools.dll. You have to enter the path to the program and the 'common' folder in your environment variables.

Once that is done the program will begin to work correctly and it asks for your text.cvs. Unfortunately, once I selected it I get a memory error and I have not figured what is causing that yet. I tried messing with compatability, but that offered no change.

Overall, I encourage you to keep working on this. It will be a great help to everyone!

Bleh...

Ok, I recompiled, made sure everything was a release version and packaged msvcr71.dll in the .zip file.

The dll hashs the entire 'text.csv' file which means in total it uses about 6mb of memory, this shouldn't cause memory issues...but...clearly something is up.

If you still get problems would you mind posting the error verbatim and I will see if I can't get a fix out asap.

Thanks,
Grendel

This post isn’t quite on topic but it seems that anything relating to mods should be in this portion of the forums and I can’t start a new topic here leaving not much in the way of choices.

Basically, what I’d trying to do is use the editor to add change some of the countries in HOI. The problems are:

1) Changing techs does not change the org values of existing units.

2) The editor does not allow any changes to the leaders.

I’d like to find a way to get around these problems despite of the fact that I’m basically a computer illiterate and a mod neophyte. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know what vicky is but somehow I doubt that the HOI editor works with anything but HOI. Basically, the HOI editor is designed to change numerous game settings like resources, ICs, alliances, whose at war with whom, techs and pretty much everything related to province stats. A big problem is that it crashes all the time. When it comes to editing provinces & resources it works fine while creating new units or editing old ones is pretty difficult. It seems that having changes in techs does nothing to change the stats of units. What I want to know is if someone is aware of a fix for that issue.

Royaliste said:
I don't know what vicky is but somehow I doubt that the HOI editor works with anything but HOI. Basically, the HOI editor is designed to change numerous game settings like resources, ICs, alliances, whose at war with whom, techs and pretty much everything related to province stats. A big problem is that it crashes all the time. When it comes to editing provinces & resources it works fine while creating new units or editing old ones is pretty difficult. It seems that having changes in techs does nothing to change the stats of units. What I want to know is if someone is aware of a fix for that issue.
Vicky = Victoria (another paradox game :p ), and I though this was a sprite editor... to make new units for nations to use. :( Aw well...

Royaliste said:
This post isn’t quite on topic but it seems that anything relating to mods should be in this portion of the forums and I can’t start a new topic here leaving not much in the way of choices.
Actually this forum is ONLY for posting files for downloading. The correct forum would be the Scenarios and Modifications forum. This editor is only for editing the unit and related files; it is not the scenario editor. Why can't you start a new topic?