HoI IV Expansion Pass #1 now includes three expansions, not two

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sleight of Hand

retired modder
On Probation
14 Badges
Feb 14, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
More bang for your buck!

Just revealed by @podcat on the live stream here:

https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Just thought people would like to know. :)

EDIT:

Podcat basically said that the first expansion isn't as meaty as they had initially hoped before they started working on it. The amount of "value" hasn't really changed, they always intended to give us a lot of content, it's just now it will be divided into 3 expansions and spread over a bit of a longer timeframe.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Noted.

Classy move that helps to smooth over the feeling of dissapointment the forum has expressed since release.

------

Reactions:
Now this is customer service.

Reactions:
Podcat basically said that the first expansion isn't as meaty as they had initially hoped before they started working on it. The amount of "value" hasn't really changed, they always intended to give us a lot of content, it's just now it will be divided into 3 expansions and spread over a bit of a longer timeframe.

Reactions:
^^ @Sleight of Hand , maybe quote this in your OP? It elaborates nicely on what you said :) .

Reactions:
Why people, are very thankful so much? This is not good nor bad thing. This is just something they decided to do.
All 3 DLC's will still cost 50$

It's like having an apple or having 3 portions of a 1/3 apple. It's the same thing!
So most of the people's suspicion about Blitz button is true. There is little value in this DLC and they have to make Blitz (fix) a paid thing.

Reactions:
Yes, the first three major expansions. Previously it was the first two.

not entirely correct - instead of 2 major expansions you are getting 3 medium expansions

Reactions:

Since the expansion plans will span for a longer timeframe, it's going to allow for more of an opportunity for good ideas from the forum community to make there way into the game.

------

Reactions:
I'd rather have 3 with two being smaller than planned then two major. Each has it's own unique themes meaning you get a better spread and they improve with time

Reactions:
Why people, are very thankful so much? This is not good nor bad thing. This is just something they decided to do.
All 3 DLC's will still cost 50$

It's like having an apple or having 3 portions of a 1/3 apple. It's the same thing!
Because the original announcement was "three instead of two".

So most of the people's suspicion about Blitz button is true. There is little value in this DLC and they have to make Blitz (fix) a paid thing.
This sounds like a big non-sequitur.

I'd rather have 3 with two being smaller than planned then two major. Each has it's own unique themes meaning you get a better spread and they improve with time
Yes, this makes things more 'flexible'.

Reactions:
not entirely correct - instead of 2 major expansions you are getting 3 medium expansions

Three instead of just two is only really all we have said. I initially aimed for this one to be a big one, but due to stuff and a lot of time spent on the free 1.2 patch we felt it was a lot more fair to go smaller on the first one and expand the expansion pass to 3. That doesnt necessarily mean the next two will be smaller. We should have some more info on all this stuff as we get closer to expansion release to make it clearer, but we are still working out the details.

Reactions:
Three instead of just two is only really all we have said. I initially aimed for this one to be a big one, but due to stuff and a lot of time spent on the free 1.2 patch we felt it was a lot more fair to go smaller on the first one and expand the expansion pass to 3. That doesnt necessarily mean the next two will be smaller. We should have some more info on all this stuff as we get closer to expansion release to make it clearer, but we are still working out the details.
Are you planning for this and another one to be a medium, then the third to be large?

As someone who has been critical of how PDS has handled this release, I want to applaud this decision. It's a very good one and heads off what I had noted was a potential looming problem: the first DLC not being a regular PDS DLC because of the need to spend a lot of time on bugs for the patch. Now everyone who pre-ordered the DLCs will get what they paid for.

Reactions:
a real class move

this is the sort of thing that encourages people to trust in these sort of preorder deals from your company in the future

I literally just skipped out on getting a similar deal on Civ 6 because I don't trust that company's DLC policy

Reactions: