• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HoI 4 Dev Diary - Policing Garrison Rework

Its Wednesday, so you know what that means. Today we will discuss a feature previously alluded to, the Policing Garrison rework.

The main thrust of this rework is the removal of the resistance suppression garrison mission from the map, and the addition of off-map suppression garrisons. This change is being made to increase performance, as well as remove what we feel is a tedious part of the game. Suppression garrison forces will now be managed through occupation laws and a choice in what division template will be used to provide suppression. The system will then distribute manpower and equipment to states with resistance. The old, defense-related, garrison missions will persist and will be named to “Area Defense.” This should result in a much cleaner map endgame. No more prebuilding and shuffling around horseybois.

DD_GARRISON_06.png

This feature is tied heavily to the rework of resistance. As we mentioned previously, resistance will no longer be so easily controlled. Active resistance will regularly attack defense forces and disrupt their local state. These attacks will result in a small but continuous loss in manpower and equipment. This should help to curb the power of a world conquest run (IE historical Germany).

DD_GARRISON_01.png

The higher the resistance level, the higher the suppression requirement. Suppression requirement is the main factor that controls how much garrison is needed. A secondary factor that controls how much garrison is needed is the occupation law. Different occupation laws will have modifications to suppression needs per for each percent of resistance. And finally, the player will be able to choose what type of garrison template they are using.

DD_GARRISON_03.png

The player will be able to design garrison forces as they always have, using the division designer. All existing templates available for recruitment will also be available to assign as a division template. The template being used will be able to be controlled at the national level, occupied nation level, and state level. A state may in turn use fractions of a division to meet suppression requirements.

DD_GARRISON_02.png

To manage these interactions, we have expanded the occupied territories menu to give a breakdown on resistance, compliance, and what forces the player has stationed in occupied territory they control. In the same menu the player can choose occupation law, and what division template is being used for policing garrison work. Different requirements in manpower and equipment will be shown when choosing which template to use. The player may choose to have no garrison present as well, but this will result in a huge boost to local resistance.

DD_GARRISON_04.png

When designing garrison templates, there will be a couple of factors to consider. Some existing battalions will have their suppression values reworked and battalions with hardness will have bonus to resisting damage taken from resistance activity. The result of this is that battalions with hardness will be more expensive materially, but provide protection for your manpower. If manpower is more of a long-term concern than production, there is a benefit to using battalions with hardness. If manpower is not a concern, using low hardness battalions in your division template is probably a good idea. This will also give some new life to light tanks that have found themselves collecting dust in your stockpile

That's all for this week. See youse guys next week.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Yay!

Also, will we be able to summon the off map divisions to the map if an occupied province is overrun?

Also can we “disperse” an on-map division offmap to garrison an area?

Thank for the diary.

I have a question, if I reduce my occupation law to something more gentle, will I get back the manpower and equipment that are no longer needed ?

So does this mean that we are finally getting the Czechoslovakian government in exile? I remember you said in past that Czechoslovakia in exile might come after you rework resistance system.

Last edited:
Such a pleasant surprise regarding use of light tanks! :)
But it is unclear regarding manpower loss from resistance. If i have supression requirement 100 met (like those 8.3 cav division from screenshot), i will lose manpower from that template? If it is only 50% garrision and therefore less men - will i lose less manpower to resistence? Does it mean that in case i only concerned with manpower i should not garrison at all?

How well this system reflect supply and fuel use? Well I be able to see the amount that its using and the make determination or trade off between how much I suppress compared to how much fuel/supply I would need to use.

Will some territories have different levels of resistance and complicity depending on the population, for example, will Danzig
the same level of resistance as Warsaw after the German conquest?

Why would you choose that over making single infantry battalions?
I think you would not. But to make game to select from "reasonable" player-made division and "non-reasonable" ones would be unreasonable.
Still, maybe a flag like "don't show in police menu" in designer can be nice.

battalions with hardness will have bonus to resisting damage taken from resistance activity. The result of this is that battalions with hardness will be more expensive materially, but provide protection for your manpower. If manpower is more of a long-term concern than production, there is a benefit to using battalions with hardness. If manpower is not a concern, using low hardness battalions in your division template is probably a good idea. This will also give some new life to light tanks that have found themselves collecting dust in your stockpile

Armoured cars when?

Also, I like.

The player will be able to design garrison forces as they always have, using the division designer.
When designing garrison templates, there will be a couple of factors to consider.

Could you give additional examples of such factors to consider? For example, will resistance take different forms that require different templates to handle?
In the screenshot you provided, what are the use-cases of the different templates, such as picking a mountaineer template over a fast cav division?

To summarise, will the division designer be a relevant system over multiple playthroughs or merely added for the sake of it, becoming a no-brainer once you figured out the meta template?

Thanks for the dev diary!

Thank for the diary.

I have a question, if I reduce my occupation law to something more gentle, will I get back the manpower and equipment that are no longer needed ?
If you change laws or the requirements in the province change, the manpower and equipment will flow back to your stockpile if needs are reduced

Looking forward to fighting the War of Shadows. Will there be resistance related events? They could be flavoured for specific countries and tied to governments-in-exile decisions.