• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Pedro José

Private
6 Badges
Apr 11, 2021
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
Hello, I bought the hoi 3 on steam and no problem with the game, but
I bought the "tfh" dlc and all the necessary to play this ("semper fi" and "for the motherland")
and when you give it to play nothing starts.
I don't know what I can do, I need help
Thanks
(I have windows 10).

Hello, I bought the hoi 3 on steam and no problem with the game, but
I bought the "tfh" dlc and all the necessary to play this ("semper fi" and "for the motherland")
and when you give it to play nothing starts.
I don't know what I can do, I need help
Thanks
(I have windows 10).
You have bought all the DLC, but have you installed all of them?

Yes, I have tested on my old laptop and it works ... why on a better laptop it doesn't work?
The game is from 2009. It is possible it has to do with compatibility issues. I know sometimes you can change the compatibility of a file so it will run as if the OS is older.

Edit: Maybe try this?

"https://steamcommunity.com/app/25890/discussions/0/133261907145945688/

Try the Paradox forums, Tech Support.

I would suggest downloading "Podcat's latest exe the LAA one" which may be found at the link below. You need a Paradox account log in, for their forums, to get it.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/megathread-hearts-of-iron-3-known-issues-fixes-workarounds-etc-megathread.612732/"

The game is from 2009. It is possible it has to do with compatibility issues. I know sometimes you can change the compatibility of a file so it will run as if the OS is older.

Edit: Maybe try this?

"https://steamcommunity.com/app/25890/discussions/0/133261907145945688/

Try the Paradox forums, Tech Support.

I would suggest downloading "Podcat's latest exe the LAA one" which may be found at the link below. You need a Paradox account log in, for their forums, to get it.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/megathread-hearts-of-iron-3-known-issues-fixes-workarounds-etc-megathread.612732/"
I've replaced the hoi3_tfh but I still have the same problem

I've replaced the hoi3_tfh but I still have the same problem
If I remember correctly there was, on some systems (with Windows 10), a problem with the correct version of C++ or VBRuntimes.
They were replaced by newer ones which did not work with HOI3.
You had to replace the new Runtimes with the old ones or something like that.

I cant really give proper advice since this problem has eluded me (no Windows 10 here).

Might want to search the HOI3 part of the forum for Windows 10 compatibility threads.

Hello @Pedro José, I am keeping a self made guide on HOI3, and there might be an answer to your problem. HOI3 was originally made to work on 32-bit Windows OS. Since all new PCs today run on 64-bit Windows OS, it is difficult to install HOI3, but not impossible. Here are my suggestions to you:

"HOW to INSTALL HOI III on 64-bit Windows OS

Just a bit of help when trying to install HOI3 for Win.

1st Challenge Should you get compression errors or countless bugs while playing, the cause might be the executable hoi3_tfh.exe file, which was created to work with 32-bit PCs. Today the computers are 64-bit and the original executable file cannot handle well large amounts of RAM (over 2GB). Backup your original file and download this updated executable from here:

Here is where I saved the executable document from the Intenet: A:\HOI III\HOI III APPLE\HOI3 update for WIN 64-bits computers.

To replace the installed executable --> hoi3_tfh.exe, unzip the newer one in your game directory over the old version. Don't try to execute the unzipped file directly, because it would cause another error. The path where to open the file is: Dieser PC -> Windows (C:) -> Programme (x86) -> Steam -> steamapps -> common -> Hearts of Iron 3.

2nd Challenge “Dies Irae Götterdämmerung” dlc doesn't work. It was never updated to work with TFH. Don’t install it because it is only causing problems to your game.

3rd Challenge If you cannot start the game after installation from Steam (and receive an error message), please install DirectX 9.0c and then it should work. However, try the next advice instead first. Maybe DirectX 9.0c is not necessary.

4th Challenge The game could still fail to start after replacing the .exe icon and installing DirectX 9.0c. Should you receive the following error "MSVCP100.Dll (or similar like ...42.dll) is Missing!" you’ll have to install a few things.

Install ALL these Microsoft modules:

Visual C++ 2010 (Every link has one .exe file, but the 2015 link below has both of them. Try skipping these first older modules. Should Visual C++ 2015 not work, delete de installed .exe, then download and install the Visual C++ 2010 files.)

Visual C++ 2015 (try this module with two executables instead of the older C++2010)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52685 *

DirectX End-User Runtimes (updated version of DirectX 9.0c)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109 **

(run dxsetup.exe after extracting from this download)

* The third Module will refuse to install because you just installed the 2010 version of Visual C++. Don't worry. Go on with the last module, and that might be all you need to start the game successfully. Maybe installing directly VC++ 2015 could render the VC++ 2010 superfluous?

** The last download is DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010), which should be a later, updated version of Direct X9.0c. Theoretically you shouldn’t install DirectX9.0c at all.

Note: You need the x86 version to run 32-bit VC++ programs, and you need the x64 version to run 64-bit VC++ programs. VC++ entails collections of pre-written functions that can be used to reduce the amount of work that has to be done. A program can be 32-bit or 64-bit. The problem is that 32-bit code is not compatible with 64-bit code, so a 32-bit program must use 32-bit libraries and a 64-bit program must use 64-bit libraries. They cannot use libraries of the wrong “bitness”. Therefore, install both x84 and x64 modules, so that programs can choose the library of functions they need.

Alternatively try this advice:

Please try installing ALL of these Microsoft modules in this order:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=5555 (not downloadable)

(run dxsetup.exe after extracting from this download)

Then: visit the Windows Update site and allow it to apply all .NET updates/patches it wants to, for all .NET versions.

Both similar solutions are referring to the installation of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010. "This Redistributable Package installs runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run applications developed with Visual C++ on a computer that does not have Visual C++ 2010 installed". It seems Windows 10 does not install Visual C++ by default anymore, since new programs don't use either.

TEST
: Win10 has by default installed the latest version of DirectX (12 at this time). This implies installing Visual C++ 2010 modules should suffice. Skipping the installation of Direct X9.0c doesn’t seem to work. Besides it seems that installing DirectX9.0c doesn’t delete the latest version…

5th Challenge Should you encounter difficulties in setting your preferred language on the normal way in Steam -> Library -> right click on Hearts of Iron III -> Settings, you can opt for the direct solution: C:\Users\User_Name\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Hearts of Iron III -> settings.txt. One of the first lines is language=l_your language. Change the language you prefer like language=l_english or language=l_german and save. It seems to me though that setting any other language than the original one, i.e. English, is slowing the game down significantly. So, stay with English."

If it worked for you, please write us.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Most problems boil down to either not having the OLDER version of the C++ runtime components as listed in the Tech Support sub-forum (because the newer version doesn't include one necessary file), or else not having DirectX 9.0c. Those were included in Windows at the time, but the newer OS's don't come with them, so you have to download them yourself. The other possible cause would be installing the expansions in the wrong order, so an older one overwrites files from a newer one. Base game, SF, FtM, then TFH.

The memory patch (podcat.exe) isn't necessary for the game to run, unless you have a heap of processes going on in the background on your computer hogging most of the low-order memory, are nearing the end of a campaign with an abnormal number of units on the map, or are running one of the more memory-intensive mods for HOI3. It is strongly recommended, since it can reduce late-game crashing due to lack of accessible RAM.

Not applicable to Steam installations, but the default location for the game is under the c:\programs directory, which is now "protected" to prevent you from "accidentally" deleting or overwriting critical files (or running older software). Installing the game in a different directory (such as c:\games) avoids the problem.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Go to compatibility for the exe and tick "Disable full-screen optimisations". That is all I had to do to get it running on Win 10.
It will still crash if you try to do ALT+TAB from fullscren though, so you might want to run it windowed.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hello,

i tried each step described in these pages, without any error message
But Hoi3 from steam still doesnt do anything after hitting the desktop shortcut or the steam "play", just nothing happens

i did run a System File Checker [SFC] scan

all my MS visual c++ seem to be there
1620224838879.png

and when i run directly the Hoi tfh exe, i get an error msvcp100.dll missing
manually adding msvcp100.dll to both the game files and system32 folder did not help

following stuff was installed, without any fail
1620224983860.png

Attachments

• Visual C++ 2010 x86.JPG
    Visual C++ 2010 x86.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: