HOI 2 doomsday - Australia rules the world , AAR, with comments and opinions on the game and the things it does, and notes on playing Australia

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

alexvk3bqn

Sergeant
Aug 27, 2020
I have attached a pdf of my notes as the only way I could find to get the system to accept them.
I am not very good at using forums.
I have tried to be interesting, and hopefully entertaining.

I have had some strong disagreements with the game that are noted in my file.

It has also done some very strange things at times.

A.J.E.

Attachments

• Hearts of Iron 2 Doomsday Armageddon - AUSTRALIA RULES THE WORLD.pdf
    17,1 MB · Views: 0
A couple of point I left out of my other notes on Australian Strategy.

If, late in the game, as Australia, you are at war with Russia, or it is likely, a direct amphibious assault into Murmansk may be expensive, or even impossible if it is heavily defended.

It is better, if you can arrange it, to have an airbase in Finland, and land airborne into the Kola peninsula, with an immediate amphibious follow up in force, so you can run a land attack to break enemy resistance in Murmansk first, and then land there, or even run a blocking force south of Murmansk first, to isolate it and destroy any enemy units.
This is why, If I can, I will build both an airbase and naval base in the Norwegian province of Vardo, to have bases in range.

Be sure to have powerful naval forces as cover.
You can expect to need them.

You may also have the chance to attack unopposed into Archangelsk at the same time.
If you do, take it, BUT BE CERTAIN YOU TAKE IT IN FORCE.
If you do, the response may be "forceful".

Your aim then will be to push forward from both landings to link up, and the defences are likely to be fairly strong, so you will need strong forces at both "ends" of the line you want to create.

The line will shorten as you move down the Murmansk peninsula, but it WILL take time.

Another point in favour of airborne units in this area is that many provinces have VERY long travel times.
Think Mezen, next to Archangelsk.
Airborne into Mezen from Archangelsk is a LOT faster than ground movement.
Airborne units cut that time a lot, BUT YOU WILL ALMOSY CERTAINLY WANT FIGHTER COVER FOR THEM.

The Russian air force WILL be watching.
And possibly VERY active.
They WILL NOT like you being there.

As Australia, my strategy against Russia if war breaks out is usually to essentially hold a "defensive line" in Europe using allied troops, with occasional local attacks when necessary or beneficial, while attacking on the Pacific coast and in the Murmansk region.

I usually only start making major forward movements in Europe when the enemy line starts to weaken, or I have sufficient strength to almost guarantee a local breakthrough.
Tactics and strategy from then on depend on where, and if, I can find exploitable weaknesses in the enemy lines.
Just running continual head-on attacks against the Soviet lines is both bad tactics and bad strategy.
It will cost your allies losses they should not be taking.

I run occasional limited operations in the middle east when I have sufficient troops to spare, but mostly run more holding operations, unless a clear opportunity presents itself.

Before war breaks out with Russia, I tend to buy up every province I can that is on the Soviet border and owned by an ally.
Then any advances through those areas become mine.

This is also one reason why if, during the war, the British have captured and taken ownership of any provinces of Sianking, North of India, I will try to buy them, despite almost any cost required.
The other reason is the "Indian Independence event".
If that occurs, as I have said, allied units in that area will be isolated, trapped, and starve to death.
If I buy the territory, there is at least a chance that any allied units in the area will be moved out, and won't be destroyed, if the event triggers.
(Hey, I do, sometimes, try to prevent my allies getting themselves destroyed, even if it is difficult. Sometimes it's just impossible, and I just end up screaming at them.)

On the Pacific coast, having several airborne units can give a really impressive increase in movement times.
Along with amphibioous assaults, they can also allow near simultaneous capture of several undefended coastal provinces.

That will give you a good range of choices for your future operations.

If you can take control of the whole coastline, any advance inland, even by your allies, will gain you the territory taken.

Similarly, if Russia has captured a lot of Chinese territory, (VERY COMMON) I will try to buy any adjoining territory held by my allies, for the same reasons.
I actually don't remember more than a couple of games where any form of China has lasted until war breaks out between the Soviets and the West.
If Japan hasn't successfully invaded and defeated China, Russia almost certainly does.
China in this game is almost certain to be annexed and destroyed by Japan or Russia, or sometimes both at once.

I will almost always buy provinces owned by my allies that are inland in former Chinese territory, but are adjacent to Soviet territory, in preference to buying territory further back on the coast.
If I work it correctly, and attack properly, I may then end up eventually controlling all the land provinces surrounding Soviet territory.

From that point, the result is fairly certain.

(The primary weakness in this strategy is the limits on the possible choices in the middle-east. You simply may not be able to get the situation you want there, and events may be completely out of your control. It happens. Do the best you can.)

A.J.E.