• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

This thread is more than 5 months old.

It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose. If you feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

unmerged(76152)

Recruit
May 13, 2007
Hi,

I've only recently started playing HOI 1 and have never played HOI 2. I have to say that no matter what setting I put the AI on it's pretty woeful. I see that a great deal of work went into an improved AI but all the links are broken and I can't find the file. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be most thankful.

In the meantime my answer has been to play Poland. I've finally got their economy and research just right from '36 to make a reasonable go of it. But now the Germans seem hesitant to test my defences properly (despite aggressive AI setting) and we're in summer 1940 having been at war since August 1939. The Germans have denuded their western front postponing the low countries so that the French have a 6-1 superiority in ground and air forces on the Franco German frontier and yet the damn French won't attempt an attack or even a feint!!!?????

This is frustrating to say the least. For the purposes of venting, Germany demanded Danzig to build a land bridge to East Prussia - Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria!!??? and Rumania all declared war with Germany on Poland (which I thought was a bit odd). Then, while the Germans were stuffing about organising attack the Poles struck into Konigsberg, took out East Prussia, held the Hungarians at bay and here we are in a stalemate because the superior AI with more troops better equiped seems scared to do the hard yards and bleed me white even though at this stage it has been humiliated???

For the love of all that is good in wargames, if there's a file out there that get's the AI moving please point me in the right direction.

Cheers.

erhpdm

Second Lieutenant
15 Badges
Jun 24, 2004
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
Hi,

I've only recently started playing HOI 1 and have never played HOI 2. I have to say that no matter what setting I put the AI on it's pretty woeful. I see that a great deal of work went into an improved AI but all the links are broken and I can't find the file. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be most thankful.

HOI2 has shifted to logistics more than tactics - I find it less enjoyable. But you should download and use CORE with completes HOI1 quite well and solves a lot of issues, include aggressiveness of AI. :D

In the meantime my answer has been to play Poland. I've finally got their economy and research just right from '36 to make a reasonable go of it. But now the Germans seem hesitant to test my defences properly (despite aggressive AI setting) and we're in summer 1940 having been at war since August 1939. The Germans have denuded their western front postponing the low countries so that the French have a 6-1 superiority in ground and air forces on the Franco German frontier and yet the damn French won't attempt an attack or even a feint!!!?????

The reality was that in 39-40 the French would not attack. period. they were hiding behind their fortified maginot line bunkers and were not going to repeat the insane Verdun offensives of 1914-1918 (the Germans had, after all, their own defenses on the Alsace border). That is not a-historical. The French defend- though the Brits may attempt naval invasions near Dantzig to support Polish troops... :p

This is frustrating to say the least. For the purposes of venting, Germany demanded Danzig to build a land bridge to East Prussia - Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria!!??? and Rumania all declared war with Germany on Poland (which I thought was a bit odd). Then, while the Germans were stuffing about organising attack the Poles struck into Konigsberg, took out East Prussia, held the Hungarians at bay and here we are in a stalemate because the superior AI with more troops better equiped seems scared to do the hard yards and bleed me white even though at this stage it has been humiliated???

the historical alliance between Germany and its puppet Slovakia , as well as its allied fascist states of Bulgaria, Rumania and Hungary is accurate. after all, they send tens of thousands of troops into the soviet union fighting side by side with the german armies (though bulgaria did not dow USSR), and also participated in the invasion/occupation of yugoslavia (and bulgaria even parts of greece)... that the germans do not attack poland, however, is weird. try downloading CORE for HOI1 and see what happens...

For the love of all that is good in wargames, if there's a file out there that get's the AI moving please point me in the right direction.

Cheers.

unmerged(76152)

Recruit
May 13, 2007
Thanks for the reply.

I accept that France NOT attacking is a pretty historical response, what was bothering me about it is that France has such frontal superiority and won't attack.

The bit about the minors declaring that I thought was odd is that NONE of those minors joined the Axis until well after the fall of Poland and in most cases not until after the fall of France. In my game, Rumania, Hungary and Bulgaria!!! declared on Poland with Germany. In truth, these minors waited to see what Germany did. They also waited to see what the Soviets would do. When Germany smashed Poland they were more eager to lean to Germany (although Bulgaria was still pro Soviet). The icing on the cake was when Russia swallowed half of Poland and then made territorial demands on Rumania. THEN they started to pick a side. In the game, none of these political complexities or catalysts have had a chance to manifest yet they declared immediately.

erhpdm

Second Lieutenant
15 Badges
Jun 24, 2004
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
it really depends from game to game. sometimes they declare right away, sometimes they do not; whenever the german AI asks them to join can also matter. At any rate, there ar emore complexities to CORE than to HOI1's last version, so I suggest you try that out first...

[ i don't think bulgaria after 1939 can be considered pro-soviet: tsar boris was after all a german prince, and the alliance with germany from 1914-1918 was still strong, but that's a minor issue ]

p.s. try out the TGW 1914-1918 version as well if you like it. :D

Wrecker said:
Thanks for the reply.

I accept that France NOT attacking is a pretty historical response, what was bothering me about it is that France has such frontal superiority and won't attack.

The bit about the minors declaring that I thought was odd is that NONE of those minors joined the Axis until well after the fall of Poland and in most cases not until after the fall of France. In my game, Rumania, Hungary and Bulgaria!!! declared on Poland with Germany. In truth, these minors waited to see what Germany did. They also waited to see what the Soviets would do. When Germany smashed Poland they were more eager to lean to Germany (although Bulgaria was still pro Soviet). The icing on the cake was when Russia swallowed half of Poland and then made territorial demands on Rumania. THEN they started to pick a side. In the game, none of these political complexities or catalysts have had a chance to manifest yet they declared immediately.