• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Welcome to the forum is an Oxymoron

Alfryd said:
Many of us more seasoned Majesty players can be found on the Heroes of Ardania boards below. We have a specific forum for discussion of ideas for Majesty 2:

http://z13.invisionfree.com/Heroes_of_Ardania_v2/index.php?showforum=30

Do enjoy.
As a HoA Dev of many years, I'm not sure If I really want these people in our forum. I mean shouldn't we be as "selective" about allowing them there as they are here?
I had an insightful comment about Ted Stevens but apparently my opinion doesn't carry enough numerical importantance to allow me to post.
Yeah, I've only been playing their "new" game longer than any of them. Why should my opinion on anything else count?

Does anyone else from Cyberlore/Majesty/HoA feel a bit slighted by this "welcome"?

Dumble Dwarf, it's an anti-spam measure. You cannot post in the OT section until, if I recall correctly, your post count hits 10. Give it a shot now.

You will find that the people here are surprisingly welcoming, but we do rather like our OT forum to not be cluttered with spambot advertising. And the fewer HOI2 forum denizens that get into OT, the better. ;)

By the way, Heroes of Ardania looks pretty neat. I imagine you would get a pretty good reception to it if you were to post in the OT forum. (My irony detector just went off the scale.)

Last edited:
Blah, blah, blah. How much spam --- err, how many posts do you have to make before you can have a signature, which incidentally all the forum rules I could find say you can have as soon as you join? :rolleyes:

I'm not aware of any restrictions on when you can have a signature. Have you checked your User CP (top of the page, left side) and for some reason do not have "Edit Signature" just under Settings & Options, again, on the left side?

You guys want to maybe lay off the attitude, too?

Meh. I hadn't checked anything, I had simply heard there was some limit, but TEN doesn't seem bad to me. Even if you only post when you have something really good to say, you should get that in a week or two. If you post...more freely, just a couple of days.

Edit: *laughs* Although I must say it's funny when I can't look at my own profile.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Dumble Dwarf, it's an anti-spam measure. You cannot post in the OT section until, if I recall correctly, your post count hits 10. Give it a shot now.

You will find that the people here are surprisingly welcoming, but we do rather like our OT forum to not be cluttered with spambot advertising. And the fewer HOI2 forum denizens that get into OT, the better. ;)

By the way, Heroes of Ardania looks pretty neat. I imagine you would get a pretty good reception to it if you were to post in the OT forum. (My irony detector just went off the scale.)
Well, apparently it's not 10 posts because I still get this message:
Dumble Dwarf, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If not, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
If you fear your account might have been disabled without knowing why, you should contact the Forum Administration. Do not re-register under a new name!

Hmm... let me follow this logic for a minute. In order to reduce the amount of Spam you force placers to make a minimum amount of post before they can post in other forums.
So like the Bush administration you believe it's better to Spam them over there, so they don't spam us over here.
Wow! now my irony meter just shot off the scale (worthy of Matt Groening, eh?)

So Paradox is more than just a name around here, it's a forum philosophy, right?

And just to get the record straight, I came in here with jubilant enthusiasm. The "attitude" was bred from the frustration that followed.

I'm not sure If I really want these people in our forum. I mean shouldn't we be as "selective" about allowing them there as they are here?
My main object was to help ensure that any ideas regarding a potential Majesty sequel get as wide an audience as possible. To me, other considerations are secondary. However, if you don't share the sentiment, given your position as a board moderator I will, if desired, delete the original link.

On a related note, it seems unfair to punish Paradox forum members for the alleged 'elitism' of the company at large. (I have personally found the restrictions to be of virtually no importance.)

I have to agree with Alfryd. Not that I've tried posting anywhere else, but I don't have a problem with any anti-spam measures or whatever. Paradox is a large company with lots of games and presumably has been around for a while; heck, their "Users on at the Same time" probably exceed the total of HoA's total registered users. I think the HoA forums have had the luxury of being small and having just a handful of active users to avoid that type of thing, although one spam account got through last week.

I moderate a Magic: The Gathering site and we're as small, if not smaller than HoA in terms of active users yet we get spam accounts and posting all the time because of the "no post limit" on posting. That's actually a good idea, I'll have to check into it...

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I'm not aware of any restrictions on when you can have a signature. Have you checked your User CP (top of the page, left side) and for some reason do not have "Edit Signature" just under Settings & Options, again, on the left side?
There is no "Edit Signature" in the User CP; There's an "Edit Signature" under "Quick Links", but if I use that link then it says "Sorry, you are not permitted to have a signature", giving no reason.

Dumble Dwarf, I can assure you that the Pdox forums are one of the most open and polite that I've ever seen on the net. Well, can't really say for all forums (especially OT), but for the ones I'm reading (about Europa Universalis mostly), I'm quite impressed by the maturity and self-discipline of peolple around there. Not that you won't sometimes get your average flamewar or troll wandering around, of course.

About the problems you encountered with signature (looks like it's working for me, by the way, but I've never really looked into that before) or minimum number of posts, I'm sure a polite message to the person in charge (I think it's Flori) would solve them.

*back to lurking*

Dumble dwarf

Basically if you spam here you get a ban cause here is policed if you spam and troll in the OT forum it can take a while to ban because its not as well moderated due to the large volume of usage.

FYI I believe the minimum is 15 posts.

Elvish Pillager said:
There is no "Edit Signature" in the User CP; There's an "Edit Signature" under "Quick Links", but if I use that link then it says "Sorry, you are not permitted to have a signature", giving no reason.

I have no idea how long you have to be a member to have a sig but I am sure there is a time limit. Paradox forums reward older and more active members in some ways, like custom title (3000 posts or 1.5 years of membership? and custom avatar (3000 posts)

I've come to the conclusion that the forum community is welcoming (thank you everyone who posted in response), even if the forum itself is not.
Although, the forum community makes the forum what it is, and that contradicts my initial premise, and we are back to a Paradox.

My personal observation as an outsider/newcomer, is that there are options available to combat things like spam-bots (like anti-OCR security code graphics) without needing to resort to what I see is a capricious rule for newcomers.

In an effort of reconciliation, I will actually concede the point that it's possible... just possible, that this was the best solution given the myriad of other options available. However, I can't see any reason why this "probationary" period (and what it entails) isn't mentioned anywhere.
I was never asking for an apology, just an explanation.

It would save a lot of confusion and hard feelings in the future. No?

So what's my Spam-count now?

10, 15, or more?

So what's the official policy on how many posts make us "qualified?" Is that posted somewhere? Is it objective and automatic, or do we have to wait for an admin to notice we've crossed the threshhold, and then flip a switch?

When I was a kid, I always hated the swimming teacher who encouraged me to let go of the side of the pool, and just swim out to the teacher a few feet away. Then, as soon as I put my face in the water to swim, the teacher started backing away. The teacher expected me to be happy, gratified and more confident when I saw how far I actually swam. Really, though, I just felt betrayed, and I LOST confidence in the teacher.

Having said all that, though, I don't feel betrayed by any Paradox forum policies. I haven't been prevented from doing anything, mostly because I haven't tried to do anything here.

I do see the irony noted by DD, as the policy seems to encourage spamming for whatever the minimum number is (10? 15? 50?), so that people can quickly cross that threshhold. And it certainly would have been nice if Paradox could have created an exception to this policy, at least for the HoA Devs and long-time fans posting in the Maj forum.

But I'm not offended that Paradox did not make this gesture. Unlike DD, who has been with HoA since the beginning, I came to HoA later. As a result, I did not become an admin on the HoA forums until I had "proved" myself over the course of several months. I don't mind going through a mini-version of that with Paradox, so long as this policy is universal.

And I certainly think Alfryd is doing the right thing, by encouraging cross-pollination between the Paradox forums and the HoA forums. Anyone who shares our interest in Maj is welcome to play HoA and use the in-game forum. I presume you will be similarly welcome at the external forum (for which I am not a mod). I also presume that Paradox will check all available forums for Maj2 ideas and suggestions. So there's no requirement that any HoA fans post here; these Paradox forums simply provide another opportunity to spread the word. Which is what Alfryd is doing.

Alfryd said:
On a related note, it seems unfair to punish Paradox forum members for the alleged 'elitism' of the company at large. (I have personally found the restrictions to be of virtually no importance.)
That was never my intention Alfryd. Doing that would be hypocrtical.
I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of welcoming a new guest to your house by precluding them from full participation in the conversation, with another (fictional) hypocrisy.

It would be something like holding a tea party and telling the new guy, "You're not allowed to talk unless we call on you." Or more accurately you can talk to Fred, but not to Mary or George. And, all of this is done without any explanation. So when you tried to strike up a conversation with Mary about how dear biscuits were becoming, the host's shouts in your ear, "SHUT UP!!".

Imagine how welcome you would feel at that tea party.

I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of welcoming a new guest to your house by precluding them from full participation in the conversation, with another (fictional) hypocrisy.
Are you saying that because Paradox created a Majesty forum and we're old afficionados of the franchise, that we should get special treatment? It's not like we're being descriminated against here. If you have complaints about the anti-spam measures, I fail to see how our 'invitation' has any relevance to the matter.