Hiw to prevent Denmark from attacking Muscovy?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CraterLoc

Corporal
18 Badges
Nov 23, 2021
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
As Muscovy, I have conquered Novgorod (all of it) in 1448. Ever since then, my over extension caused my stability to suffer a lot. From 1448 to roughly 1462, I have fought a civil and peasant war alongside with many revolts. I gave cored all provinces and got my income going up and then Denmark declared war. I have went to my past save to attempt to improve relations but it didnt help.

Right now, I have Pskov and Belo Ozero as my vassals, I have annexed Rostov and Yuroslav and I had to release Perm due to them being too strong and causing high liberty desire throughout all my vassals. They are still allied with me so that's not a problem. I also got Odoyev as an ally. Altogether, it is ~20k vs ~29k men (The Nordics have more) and if I try to give them provinces to screw off, they dont accept no matter what they are.

Is it possible to delay the war or cancel it altogether? If I fight, Muscovy will collapse

OK. For the future: Never do a truce break - as an expert at the game there might be situations to do that, but until then no.
Generally when starting a war be careful at paying attention at all the info you get in the screen. Even without breaking truce you can have stability hits in certain situations (having a royal marriage, good relations, attacking without a casus belli). These stability hit cause also War Exhaustion = Unrest and Aggressive Expansion (normally this is caused by taking provinces in a war, if you have more than 50 AE and negative relations with at least 4 countries they can all unite in a coalition and attack you).
You should also careful check what allies you get for the war and if you are strong enough compared to the enemy.

Good luck with the rest of the run just ask if you need more tips.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If you want to retry the Muscovy game I would recommend improving relations with Poland at the start and getting a alliance with them as soon as they get Lithuania as a subject. Having them as a ally early on will make others think twice about attacking you (they will also help you attack the Great Horde, Kazan and Nogai + Denmark when they are able) and you can always break your alliance with them later and ally the Ottomans to attack them together when you become stronger. You can also try allying Nogai and using them in your war with Kazan and maybe the great horde, and then before attacking Nogai you ally the other horde nations who have rivalled them and so on. As others have said never truce break so as not to piss others off with aggressive expansion and suffer stability hits and don't rival the Ottomans or attack them since you are new. (even if it looks like they are losing another war, which can happen but is rare).

I like to ally Poland and let them form PLC to then take provinces and release Lithuania as a vassal to feed back their land for less AE and costs. I also like to ally some of the hordes and help them to eat each other then vassalize what's left and feed their cores back.

The Ottomans is one of the best allies you can have if you are either new or not planning to expand into their lands, try not to piss them off and ally them as soon as you can.

Reactions:
Alright so, not accepting royal marriage with Tver doesnt make Denmark attack me. Idk how that works. I reloaded the save, accepted, they attack. I reloaded again, did not accept, and they did nothing. Maybe it has to do with Prestige or something.

Edit: they just attack in 1466. I hate them

If you are fairly new to a Baltic start/Muscovy, I suggest allying Livonian order day one, but don't call them in vs Novgorod. This helps neuter Denmark. You can also ally TO, mark Lithunia as provinces of interest, and you block Denmark while turning Poland into easy meat.

I would also merc up on day one to hit the unit cap, and use the mercs to siege Novgorod. Keep them around until your manpower is decent.