• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(63836)

Field Marshal
Dec 25, 2006
History of the White Eagle - Poland Megacampaign AAR Part I (Completed 1066-1350)

tytuowa.gif

medal.gif
medal-1.gif

medal3.gif

Part I​

Table of contents:

Siemomysl I (930-960)
Mieszko I (960-992)
Boleslaw I the Brave(Chrobry) (992-1025)
Mieszko II Lambert (1025-1034)
Kazimierz I the Restorer(Odnowiciel) (1034-1058)
Boleslaw II the Bold(Śmiały) (1058-1089)
Przeclaw I (1089-1097)
Pelka I (1097-1099)

Europe Anno Domini 1100

Polish Warfare in X-XI centuries

Ziemowit I the Conqueror(Zdobywca) (1099-1128) Part I
Ziemowit I the Conqueror(Zdobywca) (1099-1128) Part II
Jakub I the Terrible(Groźny) (1128-1163)

Europe Anno Domini 1150

Sambor I (1163-1186)
Mieszko III (1186-1220)

Europe Anno Domini 1200

Henryk I (1220-1224)
Zbigniew I (1224-1238)
Spytko I (1238-1280) Part I

Europe Anno Domini 1250

Spytko I (1238-1280) Part II
Przemyslaw I (1280-1287)
Dytryk I the Strong(Mocny) Part I(1287-1308)

Europe Anno Domini 1300

Dytryk I the Strong(Mocny) Part II(1287-1308)
Dytryk I the Strong(Mocny) Part III(1287-1308)

Polish Warfare in XII-XIII centuries

Zygmunt I the Pious(Pobożny) (1308-1349) Part I
Zygmunt I the Pious(Pobożny) (1308-1349) Part II

Graphical summary of Part I

Link to Part II

Last edited:

HISTORY OF THE WHITE EAGLE

szczerbiecuh1.jpg

Siemomysl I
930 - 960

siemomys322ir1.jpg

Description:

In X century on terrains between Vistula and Oder rivers existed several Western Slavic tribes. To the most important belonged Polans, Mazovians, Silesians, Vistulans and Ledzians. Population of these terrains mainly dealt with agriculture, collecting and hunting. They worshiped the pagan gods connected with strengths of nature.

First strong state centre came into being from tribe of Polan. The dukes of Polans came from semi-legendary Piast and from his name dynasty been called. Dukes Siemowit and his son Lestek created strong duchy. The son of Lestek, Siemomysl managed to unite neighbouring tribes of Ledzians, Masovians and Goplans, enlarging twice the sizes of realm.

Deeds:

Conquest of Goplans, Masovians and Ledzians.

Map of Poland at start and end of his reign:

ziemomys322zq2.jpg

# Land at start
# Land at end
# Country borders at end

Last edited:
Good luck with your first AAR.

Writing an AAR about a Megacampaign is a very ambitious start

Last edited:

szczerbiecuh1.jpg

Mieszko I
ruled 960 - 992
born 930 - 992

pmieszko1sk5.jpg

Description:

Mieszko was pragmatic ruler, acting with reason of state, excellent warrior and diplomat.

At the beginning of his reign he conquered neighbouring tribes of Vistulans, Silesians and Pomeranians, increasing almost twice the size of duchy.

To take control over so large territory and to prevent German armed "missionaries" invasions, he got married with Czech princess Dobrawa in 966 simultaneously accepting baptism. He became also vassal of Otto I.

chrzestwt8.jpg

Polish population sometimes rejected new belief. To take control over revolts, Mieszko raised numerous towns. He also hired squad of elite heavy cavalry called "Druzyna".

In 972 east German margrave Hodon crossed Oder river. He was beaten by Polans in battle at Cedynia. Emperor had treated this as internal disputes of his vassals so he did not intervene. He was even pleased with too ambitious margrave's defeat, but for equilibrium demanded Mieszko`s son as hostage to Emperor Court.

cedynia7lrrd9.jpg

Deeds:

- Doubling territory. Conquest of Pomeranians, Vistulans, Silesians
- Christening. Poland recognized by Emperor as vassal
- Victory at Cedynia strengthens prestige of young state
- Creation of strong administration as well as solid squad of army (Druzyna). Building many towns and castles.

mieszkofg2.jpg

# Land at start
# Land at end
# Country borders at end

Last edited:
I like the style so far, it reminds me of another AAR :)

I like the pictures you put in the AAR, I always like pictures in AAR's. I can't wait to see what will happen once CK really starts in 1066

The introduction so far has been great.

Bismarck1 - It`s just picture editing and short introduction of polish history

Veldmaarschalk - Thanks. Actually i am now at A.D. 1230. I`ve borrowed style from many AAR writers, mostly from yours it seems 'Last Lombard Princes of Lombardy' - clear, straight and good looking ;)

One question for you CK veterans - is Golden Horde so weak, or maybe they emerge few times?

Last edited:
This looks good.

szczerbiecuh1.jpg

Boleslaw I Chrobry (Brave)
ruled 992 - 1025
born 967 - 1025

250pxboleslausilg0.jpg

Description:

Bolesław was unusually ambitious ruler, maybe even too ambitious. He growned up at Otto's I court, where he got to know the european policy mechanisms. From start of his reign he built centralized state with strong ducal power.

In year 1000 Otto III arrived with pilgrimage to Gniezno. When meeting with Boleslaw on his manor, emperor recognised his independence and named him the friend of Empire. Otto III wanted to create " universalistic empire", in which all states would stand on isonomies.

wita_ottona.jpg

Unfortunately Otto III died in age of 22. His successor, Henry II wanted to be simply feudal overlord of different rulers.

Boleslaw's answer was the intention to create great western slavonic state, consisting of Czechs, Poles and Polabians, which would can defend from Germany like France.

dru380unaod5.jpg

In 1003 year Bolesław conquered Bohemia, which were part of the Empire then. War was finished by Treaty of Budziszyn, which terms were that polish independence was recognized, and duke Bolesław received Lausitz and Meissen. Bohemia came back to Empire, so the idea of creation of Slavic power had fallen. During that war considerable part of Pomerania detached, and came back to paganism.

Polish Duke wanted more glory and conquests. In the same year, he organized expedition to Kievan Rus. Kiev were taken, where he placed his protege. In way back to Poland, Boleslaw conquered Grody Czerwienskie "Red castles" (Przemysl, Wladimir).

The final of Boleslaw`s rule was coronation for king in Gniezno A.D. 1025. Poland was recognized by Pope, as independent kingdom and part of western Christian civilization. Unfortunately, it wasn`t long for king to be pleased with his succes, and in the same year he died.

koronacjachrobregomatejfk4.jpg

Deeds:

- Conquest of Meissen and Lausitz
- Restrains independence and power of Poland by coronation
- Conquest of Grody Czerwieńskie (Red Castles)

Chrobry.jpg

# Land at start
# Land at end
# Country borders at end

Last edited:

szczerbiecuh1.jpg

Mieszko II Lambert
ruled 1025 - 1034
born 990 - 1034

P_Mieszko_2.jpg

Description:

When Mieszko II became the king, the serfs had the hopes that he will bear the high status of the young state. Unfortunately King did not fulfil these expectations . He lacked of wisdom and courage of his predecessors.

In year 1031 Emperor Konrad II created alliance with Prince Jaroslaw the Wise, who earlier regained throne of Kiev. Ruthenians seized Grody Czerwieńskie (Red Castles), and imperial armies entered to Lausitz and Meissen.

Mieszko II accepted enemy demands with easiness, giving back these lands in year 1032. He also resigned of royal title, and became vassal of Konrad. Two years later he died.

Deeds:

- None

mieszkoiiqw3.jpg

# Land at start
# Land at end
# Country borders at end

Last edited:
Judas Maccabeus - Well... borders won`t change much to 1066. If I ever reach european-dominant-super-power status, I promise that something very nasty will happen to my Empire :rofl: . After all there is EU2, Victoria and Doomsday to play.

But don't be to hard on the Empire, after all what will HoI2 be without Germany to fight against ?

Well.. 900 years of gameplay can lead to unpredictable results in HOI2 times, but it would be nice to kick fascists asses playing Poland :D

szczerbiecuh1.jpg

Kazimierz I Odnowiciel(Restorer)
ruled 1034 - 1058
born 1016 - 1058

Portret_Kazimierz_Odnowiciel.jpg

Description:

When Mieszko II died in 1034, Kazimierz was beyond borders of country. After that in Poland outbreaked revolt against the mighty, tributes and Christian religion.

rozsiekad1.jpg

In year 1038 Bohemia invaded Poland. They pillaged Poznan and Gniezno, and took along Silesia.

Next Emperor, Henry III recognised anti-feudal and pagan revolt for bad example for his own serfs. He facilitated return of Kazimierz to Poland (1039).

powrtkazimierzodnowiciexq7.jpg

Duke settled in Krakow which from that time became capital of Poland.

Occupying Krakow Kazimierz gained control of Lesser Poland. Soon after that, he regained power in ruined Greater Poland. In Masovia he defeated local magnate Maslaw. Unfortunately he was unable to prevent separation of Danzig.

At last he demanded Silesia from Bohemia. The emperor Henry III judged dispute on advantage of Poland.

Duke Kazimierz rebuilt towns and castles. He also dismissed too expensive Druzyna. Wojs(knights) were given land, along with peasants, which had thereon to work at that land, and pay tributes. In exchange for this conferment, woj(knight) had to come on call in time of war. With that reforms, feudal system became established in Poland.

Kazimierz Odnowiciel(Restorer) was pragmatic ruler. He managed to stabilise country situation after incompetent reign of his father, and to execute reforms. However he lacked of courage to break out from dependence of the Empire.

Deeds:

- Stabilization of situation in country, quelling pagan revolt
- Liquidation of expensive Druzyna
- Introduction of feudal system

MapaKazimierz.gif

# Land at start
# Land at end
# Country borders at end

Last edited: