• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And so Marienburg is back into the fold.

HISTORY OF THE WHITE EAGLE

szczerbiecuh1.jpg

Europe Anno Domini 1100

1100wbordersnapisy.gif

Scandinavia - Two strong kingdoms - Sweden and Norway as well as weakening Denmark.
Russia - Lot of small counties and principalities, constantly fighting each other, as well as pagans from the north - strongest of them were Pereyaslav, Ryazan and Pronsk.
Central Europe - Holy Roman Empire still the most powerful country in Europe. Growing strength of Poland and Hungary.
Western Europe - France on edge of civil war, on islands, strong England and Scotland.
Iberia - Kingdom of Leon - Castille almost finished reconquista.
Italia - Growing power of Venice(captured Rome) and Apulia. Sicylly conquered by Bohemia during crusade
Byzantium, Middle East - Eastern Roman Empire fights for survival with hordes of Seljuk Turks, strong kingdom of Fatimids in Egypt.

A historical Iberia. :eek: Who'da thunk it?

Bohemia in Sicily? Venice taking out the pope? That'as goign to be weird, and I"m sure the Republic of Venice has been duly excommunicated, or if not, they will be.

szczerbiecuh1.jpg

Polish Warfare in X-XI centuries

In X and XI century Poland was country which structure altered slowly from tribal to feudal. Armies of first polish dukes and kings, consisted mainly of levy in mass. It was mobilization of all men, beyond few left to defend their homes.

From times of Mieszko I there also existed drużyna. It was formation of solid army, hired and supported by duke. It often included foreigners, like Norse, Swedes, Danes.

With regard on character and armament, army was divided to:

-Tarczownicy(Shielders)- infantry
-Pancerni(Armoured)- cavalry

wojowie2.jpg
Tarczownicy weared leather armour and carried large, wooden shields. They were armed with swords, spears or axes, wchich they threw at enemy sometimes. Part of them carried bows. Their task was assaulting and defending castles, and in battle they fulfilled defensive role in centre.

4.jpg
Pancerni were mounted on small, polish horses. They weared metal helmets, leather armours, and sometimes chainmail. Their armament consisted of swords, axes spears, bows and round shield. Their task was to charge on enemy's flanks.

From times of Kazimierz the Restorer, importance of drużyna began diminishing. Warriors were given land, in exchange for duty of military service. Later they evolved into early Polish knights.

Castles in X and XI century fulfilled twofold function:

- defensive - built in strategic points, passes, fords etc.
- residential - administrative - they later evolved into first cities

Initially they were wooden towers built on small mounds, often with palisade and moat added . From times of Przeclaw I, first stone castles and walls were build.
11motte-bailey-recon.gif

In second half of XI century, Poland began being famous with siege craft. The Polish rulers placed special emphasis on that area. They were first that began applying siege towers (Frankonia 1096)
siege4.jpg
as well as mangonels (Podlasia 1099).
mangonel.jpg

Nice AAR, I've enjoyed reading this a great deal...please keep it up.

Nice way of incorporating those advances into the story.

How did you do the world map? Did you grey out the non-major areas?

szczerbiecuh1.jpg

Ziemowit I the Conqueror(Zdobywca)
ruled 1099 - 1128
born 1093 - 1128

ZiemowitPortret.jpg

Part I

Description:

When king Pełka died in Lithuanian captivity, his son Ziemowit had only 6 years. Kingdom was ruled by the regency with chancellor Bolko.

In year 1100, Ziemowit's uncle Bezprym, duke of Sandomierskie, started war for the throne. After several days, rebellion was joined by duke of Wielkopolska and duke of Prussia. The deadly civil war lasted to end of 1104, finished with victory of the regency. To calm down unstable situation, chancellor Bolko changed law from Royal Prerogatory to Traditional Custom. He distributed majority of royal domain to the vassals, reducing it to Krakow, and suurounding lands.

TradicionalCustom.jpg

In 1105 12-year-old Ziemowit began pressing on the regency to enlarge his domain, as vassals had became too powerful and could defeat king with easines. Ziemowit despite his young age, shew wisdom and strength of character. The same year county of Przemysl was demanded from prince of Polotsk.He refused. After short war, orthodox enclave was added to king's domain.

In years 1105-1106 large lithuanian state, was losing war fought with Ruthenian duchies - Ryazan and Pronsk. The teenage king, being afraid of growth of their power, ordered the attack on Pronsk. When majority of Polish forces fought in distant Ruthenia, duke of Masovia - Sieciech Piast, the son of Wladyslaw Herman - rebelled. The country stood up on edge of civil war once again. 14-year-old Ziemowit personally commanded the defence of Krakow. He managed to hold castle, to arrival of relief force from Ruthenia.

g322ogw.jpg

Towards end of 1108 rebellious vassal was defeated, and peace was signed with duchy of Pronsk. Royal domain was increased by Scalovia and Yatviagi.

In year 1109 16-year-old Ziemowit started his rule officially. Educated by clergy all his life, he desired to convert all pagans neighbouring with kingdom to true faith.

On Spring 1110 Kingdom of Poland attacked declining Lithuanian state. Zmud and Podlasia was occupied. By autumn, Ziemowit declared himself duke of Podlasia.

In year 1111 duke of Mecklemburg rebelled, quickly defeated by King. There were still nervousness among the vassals. King promised them great conquests, loots and the lands in the north.

Preparation to this plan was announcing claims to Memel and Kurs in year 1112, and short war against duchy of Ryazan next year. By gaining these lands, Ziemowit declared himself duke of Samogitia.

Warrior_King.jpg

A. D. 1115, King announced "First Northern Crusade". Many Polish knights appeared on his call. Teutonic Knights also offered help demanding Memel as their logistic base, but king refused. The decisive moment of this campaign, was battle in Lettgalia summer 1115. Despite larger size of pagan army, experience and technological superiority of Poles leant the scale. King Ziemowit personally led his knights to combat. At end of year Semigalia, Lettgalia and West Dvina were conquered. Polish knights and clergy was immediately placed on these lands, and christianization began.

baptism-of-infidels.jpg

Uneasy about Polish aggressive moves prince of Ryazan - Dymitr, created alliance with pagan Livs. They attacked Poland in 1118. Powerful Livs - Ryazan army was initially victorious, conquering Kurs and Memel. In spring two armies met, in Yatviagi. Ziemowit placed his army in standard way. Infantry in centre, knights on flanks. However he left one squad of cavalry in reserve, hidden in forest. Dymitr attacked. Polish centre defended well, also thanks to Scottish mercenaries. However right wing gaved away field, under pressure of enemy's numbers. Desiring to surround Poles and being convinced that he fights with all Ziemowit's forces, prince of Ryazan moved his cavalry to Polish left flank. When Dymitr`s cavalry pierced slowly at Polish rear, Ziemowit moved his reserve squad to charge at Ruthenian Prince.

KnightsCharge.jpg

Seeing this defeat, Ryazan - Livs army began massive retreat. The Poles pursued them by 30 miles, causing massacre of their enemies. Polish monarch became more and more experienced warrior.

ImrovedStrategy.jpg

So started "Second Northern Crusade". Firstly King conquered Ryazan counties of Kurs, Polotsk, Aukshayts, Sudovia and Terebovl. On autumn Ziemowit signed peace with Dymitr of Ryazan, and he crowned himself King of Lithuania, as well as duke of Polotsk, Courland and Kiev.

After winter, offensive on previously defeated Livs began. Ad finem year 1119 Ziemowit conquered Osel, Livs, Dorpat, Narva and Reval. Polish king declared himself duke of Livonia and Esthonia.

comander.jpg

It in the same time very odd event occured. Kingdom of Bohemia was conquered by Emirate of Cyrenaica. How this was possible, that armies of unfaithful managed to reach centre of Christian world is unknown. Maybe Holy Roman Emperor Sigmund cooperated quietly with arabs, because he took Liberec and Orava from Bohemia, leaving rest to Muslims. For true christian like Ziemowit it was great concern...

Last edited:
Now is your chance to grab Bohemia and incur no BB.

canadiancreed - well it will be much more strange in future as always in CK

Drozh - Thanks

RGB - Thanks again. First I edit map on msPaint, coloring major`s provinces, then I draw borders, Resize and it`s done. And I am using Blank CK Map

Last edited:
The Emirate of Bohemia, playing CK one would almost start to believe that such a thing really happened but that it is just 'hushed up' by the historians. So that nobody knows that it really happened. :)

Go Poland!

Nice, I like the attempt at a mega-campaign. I just read through this (well, skimmed, mostly looked at the maps :D ) and I must say that this is an excellent AAR so far. I'll have to keep following this.

Great AAR so far, I just read through it. Excelent attention to detail, I look forward to its continued progress. How is the treasury holding up after the conquests- enough gold left over to add Bohemia?

Thank you all peaople reading this, despite my poor english. ;)

Judas Maccabeus - That will be cool thing...Polish kings will think about that idea ;)

Veldmaarschalk - :)

Fulcrumvale - Thanks

wilcoxchar - Thanks again

JimboIX - King Ziemowit`s tresaury is empty right now. But there is lot of Dukes to tax

Alright.
I just finished my vacations, after end of military service in polish navy. It`s time to get to work. I am starting my small business, so i`ll more often fight with overgrown polish beaurocracy, than with medieval monarchs. :mad:
From now there will be no daily updates, but every three, four days.

Last edited:

szczerbiecuh1.jpg

Ziemowit I the Conqueror(Zdobywca)
ruled 1099 - 1128
born 1093 - 1128

ZiemowitPortret.jpg

Part II

Years since 1119 were peaceful for Poland. On large, newly-conquered lands duchies ruled by Polish lords were created. Pagan aristocracy in general accepted Christianity, wanting to preserve their influences in new reality. The king of Poland-Lithuania used time of peace to build infrastructure, churches and stone castles.

In year 1122, county of Poznan was inherited by count of Bensacon, one of the Emperor's vassals. In Germany more and more popular was slogan " Nach Drang Osten" - pressure eastwards.

Two years later, king Ziemowit fought campaign against last pagans neighbouring with the kingdom. After conquest of Pskov and Vielkije Luki, he created duchy of Pskov there.

Polish King`s crusades result was, that he became Pope`s closest friend. By Ziemowit's hint, pope excommunicated count of Bensacon - the owner of Poznan.

In year 1225 Poland declared war upon Holy Roman Empire. Ziemowit mobilized great for those times army of 40 000 men. Empire had uncoparably larger power, however God had favoured Ziemowit. By autumn of this year Emperor Sigmund entered to Lower Silesia with army of, hardly, 400 men. It seemed that German monarch was very self-confident. He encountered about 20 000 Poles, commanded by the king. Emperor did not stand a smallest chance, and humilitated, he fled.

BattleofLowerSilesia.gif

Right after that, Duchies of Saxony and Upper Lorraine declared war on Emperor. Wanting to use confusion in Germany, Ziemowit decided to liberate Bohemia from hands of unfaithful. Pope threw curse on German counts of Liberec and Orava, which earlier thrusted knife in back of Bohemia.

army-of-priest-volkmar-and-count-em.jpg

War with smaller and larger battles, ended in the latter part of 1126, with assault on castle in Frankonia. Emperor resignated of his claims on Poznan, Liberec and Orava, and paid gigantic contribution.

Polish king did not give his knights much time to rest. He regrouped army and soon after snow thawed in Sudeten Moutains, he striked at unfaithful. Arabs fought well however. Awarness of fact, that they where nowhere to run, surrounded by Christians, caused that they fought to death, giving Poles heavy losses.

Watch Skirmish at Sudeten Moutains 1127 movie

bitwazturkami.jpg

At the end of year 1127, Bohemia was conquered. Bohemian mighty and peasants alike, greeted their Slavic liberators with happiness. In Prague cathedral, Ziemowit crowned himself King of Bohemia, giving duchy of Bohemia to his son Jakub.

aaaaaaa.gif

In year 1128 king of Poland-Lithuania-Bohemia Ziemowit I the Conqueror died, at age of 35, as a result of dysentery spreading in Poland at that time.

Deeds:

- Vast conquests on Pagans, Ruthenians, and Moslems
- Victory over Empire
- Seizure of Bohemian and Lithuanian crowns
- Making regional power of Poland

Map of Poland at start and end of his reign:

mapaZiemowit.jpg

# Land at start
# Land at end
# Country borders at end

Last edited:
Yeah! The Emperor paid for his treachery.

Good luck with further campaigning.

He earned his nickname.