• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A short and bloody reign for Wladyslav. Just as well he had the good grace to die quickly.

I can't believe I missed your initial return!

I knew something was up when I saw new White Eagle maps turn up on AH.com, but somehow never investigated.

Well, what can I say - wonderful graphics, good pace, great integration of gameplay with history, basically, it's a TM AAR but done with experience and verve.

Will definitely be following, of course.

----

EDIT: I also noticed you have many pictures of warriors in armour that even I don't, and I go looking for that stuff on the internet quite a bit. Where are you getting them if you don't mind?

Last edited:
Nice update.

Over-mighty vassals always cause trouble. If they are not causing trouble it is because they are busy planning to cause trouble. Konrad need to prune back their holdings.

the_hdk, LOka, cyrylc - It's not dead. I couldn't update due to RL stuff, but I'm already working on next chapter.

Vesimir
- Indeed, though it would not be easy due to high badboy that Konrad inherited.

Enewald - Yeah - a little bit too few. But I can always switch to other dynasty, after all this is Polish, not Piast, AAR. ;)

gabor - Well, that's CK. Fortunately, even divided lands still 'belong' to old kingdom and there's high chance that they will eventually return, unless some other kingdom grabs them.

AllmyJames - Yeah, he really could not achieve anything, even if he lived longer.

Legosim - Thanks

RGB - Thank you, and welcome. Many pictures comes from Polish sites/magazines/books etc. (just try to google search in Polish). :)

Alfredian - Yeah, I forgot how hard it is to keep them in check in CK.

LOGO-1.png

Blessed Konrad I
1070-1116
Lord of Kuyavia 1086-1089
Duke.png
Duke of Masovia 1089-1103
King.png
King of Poland 1103-1116

Portret-4.jpg

Traits:

Chaste.png
Chaste,
zealous.png
Zealous,
Pragmatic.png
Pragmatic,
Fanaticalpriest.png
Fanatical Priest.

Konrad was the only son of Duke Władysław Herman, and upon achieving adulthood he received land of Kuyavia as a fief. Young lord had to struggle with numerous incursions of neighbouring Prussians, and to his frustration he received very little help from his father. During these years hatred towards pagan enemies, as well as his father, began to grow. When Duke of Masovia attacked Bożydar I in year 1089, Konrad decided to support king of Poland, and in the aftermath he was awarded with lands and titles of his deposed father. However, when Bożydar began to suffer from severe depression, he rebelled in year 1098, triggering king's abdication. Then, Władysław Herman returned from exile, and crowned himself as a rightful king, barring the throne from Konrad. He refused to kneel before his father, and soon also other Dukes decided to oppose weak, unpopular ruler. Despite loosing all his vassals, Władysław Herman managed to keep the crown, and Konrad had to wait until his death in year 1103 to finally seize it.

In addition to Masovia, he inherited Pomerania, Poznań land, and Kraków, which accounted for about two thirds of the old kingdom - rest remained in the hands of independent Dukes. Magnates refused to pay homage to new king, with exception of Władysław II of Sandomierz, who became Konrad's close friend and ally during war against Władysław Herman. Country was still recovering, and king decided not to risk to subdue them by force. While he moved with his court to Kraków, he left his eldest son, Janisław, in Masovia.

In year 1106 loose alliance of Prussian tribes, led by Prince Arelis of Truso, seemed to soon be over, after rebellion of tribe of Pomesanians. Upon hearing these news, Konrad immediately decided to strike at the pagans. Success would not only diminish threat from the North, but also spread influence of the Church, and improve royal prestige and authority. By late summer, royal and Masovian army commanded by the king, ventured into Prussian territory and began to besiege Chełmno. However, Arelis managed to quell Pomesanian revolt, and after securing his position among the tribes in late autumn, he attacked Polish forces. Battle of Chełmno turned out to be disaster for Konrad, as cunning Arelis managed to use terrain to his advantage, and trick his opponent on several occasions. At one point Prussian warriors surrounded his Drużyna bodyguards, and in panic king commanded whole army to retreat. Later, due to rumours of cowardice, he lost respect of his men to large degree.

kampania-5.jpg

War with Prussians, situation in late 1106.

Following this defeat, remnants of royal forces fled to Kuyavia. Because of high losses, Konrad decided to call Władysław II to join war against pagans, and wait for him during winter. But while Duke of Sandomierz was assembling his force, and king was rallying his men, Arelis crossed Vistula river with his army. By spring of 1107 he captured Gdańsk, and Gniezno, demanding former with addition of large tribute as terms of peace. However, few weeks later large Sandomirian army joined remaining royal forces, and second battle with Prussians ended with Polish decisive victory. Konrad kept pursuing fleeing pagans as far as Sambia. With Arelis' army destroyed, Poles retook lost castles, and seized Chełmno, Osterode and Zbucz. Thus, war ended, with Chałmno land, Galindia, and Podlasie (lost to Prussians in 1075) annexed by Poland.

Victorious 'Prussian Crusade' gave Konrad renown and prestige he needed. In year 1109 Silesia peacefully returned under royal overlordship, and year later also Kalisz. King gave Pomerania and Poznań to his two remaining sons - Wacław and Masław. In following years, kingdom enjoyed period of peace and stability not remembered for decades. In year 1116 Konrad decided to mount another invasion against, now much weaker, pagans. Confident, he crossed into enemy territory commanding medium sized host, compromising of warriors from royal domain only. Eventually, he was challenged by Prussian army commanded by Arelis. Prussian Prince once again displayed his superiority as a general, and not only were Polish forces badly defeated - he also managed to surround and slay the king. Konrad was eventually beatified after his death.

mapa-20.jpg

Poland in year 1116.

Marriages and children.

Kinga Guthkeled (1069-)
Kinga.jpg

Like many other Piasts, Konrad married with Hungarian nobility.
- Janisław - born in 1086, Duke of Masovia.
- Masław - born in 1090, Duke of Poznań.
- Wacław - born in 1094, Duke of Pomerania.

Male line of Piast dynasty in year 1116:

Tree.jpg

Last edited:
Well, that was more successful - more territory and more children! Let's just hope Konrad's death in battle doesn't lead to a Prussian resurgance.

Good to see the pagans putting up a fight, for once!

Almost lost hope that this would be updated, but yay!, here it comes again!

Hopefully, Waclaw (if he inherits the thore) will be better in the field than his father.

Also, congratulations on being the first laureate of the AARtist of the Week ever, I think there's nobody else who deserves it more.

I thought this AAR had been abandoned; thank you for not abandoning it, trashing mad. Hopefully, Waclaw I follows in the footsteps of his father and not his grandfather. Here's to hoping Waclaw also finally crushes that annoying pagan.

The royal family controls most of Poland, extraordinary. How long can this last?
And the ancient Prussic coat of arms? What did they really use? Eagle?

AllmyJames - Yeah, Prussians were quite hard to defeat, especially earlier allied with Yotvingians.

the_hdk - No, Janisław since he's eldest.

Mr. Capiatlist - Thank you :)

Makesin - Yeah, I won't be able to update often, due to RL-stuff, but I want to finish it, at least CK-wise. :)

vanin, SplendidTuesday - Thanks :)

Enewald - Yeah, it seems that this makes Piast dynasty more secure, but not necessarily means that there will be less domestic infighting.;) As for Prussian CoA - indeed, it is 16th century Ducal Prussian eagle. I tried to find some information on what symbol could be more appropriate for Old Prussians, but without success. Any suggestions?

I don't think anything else but the Prussian eagle would fit the Old Prussians. I'm pretty sure there are no records of any representing symbols for them, sadly.

Anyhow, thank you for the update, tm. I hope you can get an update up once in a while. Good luck with whatever RL stuff you have.