• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Feb 19, 2007
oglalasiouxflaggj1.png

History of the Sioux Empire
1462 - 2008
Written by Tribulation

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

MAIN STORY:
Chapter I: The Beginning
I - II - III - IV - V
Chapter II: First Contact
I - II - III - IV - V
Chapter III: The Struggle
I - II - III

APPENDIX:
Leaders of the Empire
- Chief Wicked Snake

Last edited:
Table of Contents

Post I

The Appalachians, in all their glory, were seemingly mundane objects to the Sioux, who had lived at the base of the impressive mountain range for over 3,000 years. The small, culturally unsophisticated, gathering society had made the Carolinas their home. Although events such as tribal warfare, the death of an elder or a bad fruit harvest made the Sioux lives seem rather interesting, the tribes continued to live uninterestingly and bland.

The Sioux people numbered roughly 45,000 strong in an area that only encompassed an eighth of the state of North Carolina. Concentrating solely on fruit harvests to provide food for their people, the Sioux flourished in the Carolinas and the warmer winters - due to the proximity to the Atlantic Ocean - kept their land fertile.

However, throughout the land of the Sioux, a harsh, sharp wind began to blow. Dissent reigned throughout the Sioux lands, and by 1485, a pressing issue came upon the hands of the Sioux people. Lead by prophets who claimed of destruction should they stay in their homeland, the issue was also influenced by Sioux who claimed future prosperity in the west. This issue was mass migration.

Throughout the decades, Sioux beliefs prophesized of a time of great tragedy, and the Sioux would be forced to make a harsh decision which would either lead to their demise or to their future existence. Outside Sioux whom had returned from the West spoke of a Great Plain on which the Sioux were to prosper and survive. Finally, in 1486, the Sioux vanished from the Carolinas. They settled along a small, flat plain roughly 15 miles northeast of the Missouri River. This plain, which stretched from northeast Michigan to the Rocky Mountains, was known as the Great Plains.

chap1picrb9.jpg

The mass migration of the Sioux Empire.

Last edited:
Raden Shaka said:
Sioux? Empire? Now this is ambitious. Looks like gonna be fun. The gameplay waiting is thirded. :D

yeah fourthed! :p

This is gonna be cool .

A fascinating subject; I can’t wait to see what you do with it!

Didn't you start this same thing in HoI2 a while back?

It looks great , nontheless.

like likk said, is this in any way related to your Hoi2 AAR of a similar name?

EDIT: btw, could I have a link to that?

Metroid17: Thanks. Love the Sieg Heil AAR in the HoI2 forum.

likk9922, rcudggan: Yes! It never materialized, however. Here is the link.

Table of Contents
PREVIOUS: Post I

Post II

The Great Plains were a shock to the Sioux who had migrated. Not only had they settled on a land which had housed no human lives since its creation by God, but they had settled on a land which held no native plants. Although the land was fertile and held fruitful, native crops, it did not hold the fruit and grains the Sioux had grown accustomed to in the Carolinas, and thus began what is known as the "Great Travesty."

chap1grasshu0.jpg

The Great Plains were a major shock to the Sioux who were accustomed to other native plants.

The Chippewa, whom had inhabited areas of Minnesota and Wisconsin for hundreds of years, took immediate comfort to the Sioux, whom they saw shared very similar values, traditions and religion, due to the lobbying and friendship offerings by the Sioux people.

Between the years of 1488 - 1492, over 900 Sioux would die due to starvation and exposure. Nonetheless, Sioux expansion reigned in, and soon Sioux lands stretched from Montana to Milwaukee and encompassed the vast majority of the Great Plains. Eventually, the Chippewa began to show the Sioux how to plant crops native to the Great Plains region, ending the Great Travesty.

Unfortunately, a radical change in the year of 1492 would alter the fate of the Sioux and their Chippewa allies dramatically. Stories of horror and illness from the East came to the Sioux through other Native tribes who were fleeing west to avoid the so-called "nameless" plague. Because of the Sioux desperation, a group of Natives from Florida, named the Cherokee, whom had also fled west, tried to take over the Sioux lands in a large, general offensive known as the Sioux War of Unification, which took place in the summer of 1498.

chap1warriorsgb6.png

Cherokee warriors, armed to invade the Sioux Empire.

Beginning in the last years of the 1400's, the Sioux had split into three main tribes: the Dakota, Nakota, and Lakota, with neither holding dominance over the other. However, with Cherokee Natives attacking Sioux territory in Wisconsin, the Dakota rose to prominence, particularly the Oglala tribe, when Oglala tribal leaders nominated their main spiritual leader, Wicked Snake, as the main war chief of the Sioux Empire. By rendering a defense that pulled back Sioux Natives to the Mississippi River, Wicked Snake drew out the Cherokee forces and waited until the harsh Minnesota winter, which the Cherokee were grossly unprepared for. The Cherokee had lost roughly half of their total war party by the end of the winter, and admitted defeat to the Sioux. The Cherokee were then forced to move southeast in the face of their total defeat to the hands of the Sioux, to go against the faceless plague. The Sioux War of Unification, however, ushered in an era that would ultimately lead to Oglala Dakota dominance over the entire Sioux Empire.

Last edited:
Unified they will not fall!

Table of Contents
PREVIOUS: Post II

Post III

Through the first two decades of the 1500's, the Sioux remained at an unparalleled progressive streak, dominating the Midwest and the Great Plains from Montana to Milwaukee. Not only did they increase their agricultural production by ten-fold since the introduction of tactics used by their Chippewa advisers, but they also were the dominant military power in the region.

Sioux leadership, however, still remained divided, despite Oglala Dakota attempts to capture the Sioux leadership. The popular approval amongst the wealthy landowners, Dakota, Chippewa and conservative Sioux remained in Wicked Snake, who had only years before had cemented the Sioux-Chippewa alliance and single-handedly developed the strategy to defeat the Cherokee Nation.

chap1snakeel1.jpg

Wicked Snake, the Oglala Dakota leader.

Cherokee minorities who had decided to stay in the Great Plains after their destruction after the hands of the Sioux, as well as the Lakota, Nakota, and liberal Sioux however, invested their approval into Yelling Sky, a Cherokee minority leader who promoted spiritual openness as well as some prophetic answers to the Faceless Plague, which was slowly spreading west.

chap1skylf4.jpg

Yelling Sky, the Cherokee minority leader.

The Sioux Referendum of 1513 finally decided the answer to Sioux leadership. Representatives from each Sioux village and city met in the accepted capital of Sioux Falls to voice their opinion on Sioux leadership. After hours of intense debate, Wicked Snake and the Oglala Dakota were chosen as the leaders of the Sioux Empire, despite intense disapproval from the Lakota, Nakota and Cherokee. The stage was set for the Second Sioux War of Unification.

Last edited:
It would seem the tribes of America will be unified, if not peacefully than by force. I wonder how well a unified America will withstand the coming European assault.

Table of Contents
PREVIOUS: Post III

Post IV

The Referendum of 1513 had left the losing tribes in a roaring upheaval of disapproval. The liberal Lakota, Nakota, and the Cherokee now had no reasonable voice in the entire political system of the Sioux Nation, whilst the Dakota and Oglala Sioux, with the elected Chief Wicked Snake, controlled their interests through a system of absolute monarchy. By the end of the 1510's, the dissenting "minority" parties were preparing to take up arms against the Dakota and Oglala.

Wicked Snake, however, decided against it. The Second Sioux "War" of Unification was a political war, fought with Wicked Snake and his advisers over the decision of whether or not to maintain total control over the entire Empire. In 1519, Wicked Snake decided that all Sioux whom farmed a land of over 200 acres and contributed a substantial amount of their crop to society would be allowed to vote on the advisers and council that would influence Wicked Snake's decision approximately every 4 years, appeasing the Lakota, Nakota and Cherokee. However, in exchange, Wicked Snake's descendants would forever be Chiefs of the Sioux Nation.

With internal political organization expanding beyond any other Native American tribe, the Sioux had captured the title of most advanced civilization in the New World since the Mayans. During this time they had expanded to their furthest extent in the New World, creating an organized Empire from northern Manitoba to Nebraska. However, compared to the tales of the pale men whom were settling in lands in the East, they were trivial.

siouxempireev7.png

Sioux Empire at its largest size, 1519.

With more Native refugees fleeing to the Great Plains, the Sioux began to contract the faceless plague. Thousands of Sioux in the Milwaukee and Chicago area began to fall ill within the first few days of accepting refugees from the East, and so began the Great Calamity.

Last edited:
"The Great Calamity", sounds not so fun