• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Aekar

Sergeant
72 Badges
Oct 1, 2004
www.roleetstrategie.com
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Sengoku
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Magicka 2
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Lead and Gold
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
Macedonian AAR
Europa Universalis Rome - Vae Victis 2.0
Game is played in Hardcore more (no reload).
====================================

[excerpts from Macedonians Archives]

Corinth, 526 AVC

History is our immortality and our glory.
It has been asked that my history, and my glory, could be saved, stored, and shared with my successors.

As I have ruled for so long a time, I can understand this quite well. Even though I am as safe and sound as my Queen is, being aged of 74 long years myself, I am afraid time will soon get the health off me.

I, Ptolemy Kerounos, will hereby tell you this story.

I have ruled from 474 AVC to 526 AVC. I have led several wars, several great projects, and here you will know the final results of all these. I will soon meet the Gods, and see how they would appreciate those courageous deeds.

My sons, or should I rather say, my successors, will hopefully add their own deeds to this story, and bring good fate to Macedonia.

- Ptolemy Kerounos, King of Macedonia

Last edited:
OOC: I lost a very long post to a power shortcut. Sorry if this second rewriting is inferior to the first one.OOC

=====================================

474 - First reign

I came to reign in 474. I was 25 years old.

Though I was born in the Great Egypt, I was proud to become Basileus. Macedonia held four provinces at this time:
- Macedonia, rich in iron
- Thessaly, which provides the best horses and cavalrymen,
- Argolis, which provides quality wood,
- and the Euboean Islands, which I did not find rich in many things, actually.

Macedonia had also an adequate, vast professionnal army, quite able to keep it safe from its neighbors.

I had plans and ambitions for Macedonia. But I was 25, married Apollonia the same year, and at this time, was only hoping to have sons and bring great glory to the kingdom.

A few counselors were asking for an eastern or western expansion, and a rebirth of the time of Alexander the Great. Others were asking for economic success, or stability. Many were speaking of war with Illyria, and there was even one who was asking for an alliance with them instead.

I was lucky to have found Apollonia, a Queen, and someone who could have been a great Basileus herself. Together we would cast out some fools and set up the best plans for our country.

First of all we needed gold. Uncivilized lands were hosting a few treasures, and were able to bring new taxable people to our lands.

So we began our expansion... to the north.

I remember riding in front of my men, being both a general and a King. I know that fifty years after this, there are still some veteran soldiers who remember my name, and their sons, and sons of their sons continue being loyal to me as general, even now.

I remember leading my men. We came before the tribes in large, disciplined, impressive cohorts.

But the tribes were unimpressed.
They were quick to react.
The hordes came against us.

[...]

474 - 478 BARBARIAN WARS

Among the hordes there were the Paenians, Triballi, Maedi and Crobobizi who came against us. The barbarian wars lasted four years, but it was actually a six months fight, spread in four years total.

Some of those hordes repelled us once, few of those hordes repelled us twice, and all were conquered quicky. We brought peace to them by force, and they eventually submitted to our rule. To MY rule.

We added three provinces to our kingdom and brought back some riches and slaves.

My counselors were now believing again in Macedonian greatness, and there were now many of them who were asking for a great conquest. But seeing how great were the Seleucids, the Romans or Carthaginians, they were targeting Illyria the most.

My brother Euclid, the current heir and Royal Treasurer, was actually hoping that I would continue leading the cohorts myself, and maybe kill me in the process.

I came back from the barbarian wars with much glory, and was still young; I felt immortal, invincible. But my target wasn't Illyria.

Yes, we had some border dispute with them. They had colonial plans for themselves, and their expansion didn't include our new gains to the North.

I remember my Vizier of the time telling me: "My King, the hated Illyrians are allied to the Daci. The Daci are savages, as we all know. Together with the Illyrians, they are preparing to invade us from the north, with countless hordes of barbarians, if we let them do so."

I was getting used to such speak. Illyria had actually a much lesser army than us, and a weak army at that. We were the stronger.

And I hadn't been inactive during the four years of the Barbarian Wars.

Following my kind Apollonia advice, I made large diplomatic successes.

I made a solid alliance with the Rhodians, Spartans and Achaeans, thus creating a large and sturdy greek alliance. I also allied with Bithynia, which holds the Propontis seapass.

My alliance with Bithynia was actually risky ; but I had views for the East, and wanted to use Bithynia as a probe to be included in any sort of Seleucid or Pontus mischief that could happen. Seleucid was a giant, but I didn't want the Seleucids to settle any closer to Macedonia without having a big fight.

And to the west this time, to have also my say in any sort of Roman mischief that could happen, I guaranteed independance of Epirus and Magna Graecia. I didn't want the romans to settle in Greece without meeting at least twenty thousands Macedonian Spears.

I did not want to come at war with any of my fellow greek neighbors, I was seeing Greece as a major power, as my major power ; it is as if those minor kingdoms were already part of 'my' Macedonia.

My counselors eventually applauded those diplomatic gains. But in 478, I did surprise them a little.

For I came with a plan. Not an invasion plan for Illyria; this time, it was a plan for... the East.

479 - First war to the East

East wasn't my first target. Actually, I always thought that our Great Alexander made a mistake by taking war to the east, instead of to the west.

But I had many counselors and generals who wanted to walk in the steps of our Great Alexander.

I gave a speech this year, mentioning this: "Following the Steps of Alexander the Great, we will create the Greater Macedonia, a rich and stable land, ruling over the eastern gold and the western silver."

We had settled a very profitable trade with the far kingdoms to the north, those beyond the "Great Black Sea". I wanted to protect this trade.

And if I was to protect Bithynia, now that I allied our kingdom to theirs, I was also to have some armies closer to their lands. Which put my eyes over Thracia.

According to me, Thracia had fallen to some barbarian habits. They were weak, unprotected, and Thracia had also some riches.

So I brought our spears to Thracia. They were quickly defeated, then added to our realm. I came home after this ; I saw no use in declaring war to Pontus, with which we were trading, and the Seleucids were successful in their war with Egypt and too dangerous at the time.

So I turned my eyes back to Macedonia. I turned my eyes back to my queen. And the next year, the gods blessed us with a son!

480 - 495 AVC
Troubled times

The gods blessed us with a son. There were great feast in our kingdom, and even Euclid Ptolemy my brother, wasn't too "unhappy" to approve my son as the new Heir. He seemed pale at the time, but I was assured that it was because of some kind of illness.

But one year after this, the gods cursed us, and our brave Nikomedes Ptolemy died.

This brought tensions in the kingdom. Everybody mourned. But after this, everybody seemed deeply concerned. Had my lineage lost the Gods approval?

Euclid was the only one quick to name himself again as the new Heir.

In 481, a new problem arose.
Euclid died.
It wasn't of an illness; it happened all suddenly.

There were tensions, and some time after that, I began to find out what was causing all this. There wasn't any Ptolemy to take the rule after me. Many of my lordlings were seeing themselves as potential Heir. And even though I already voiced out who I was seeing for this privilege, there was disapproval in my fellow Macedonians. Many of them were believing that the Gods disapproved my lineage, and were seeing my Egyptian heritage as an insult.

The same year, the tensions worsened, and to my shame and dishonor, civil war erupted in all Macedonia.

The First Succession War lasted only a few months.

I had been wise enough to give army commands only to those mostly loyal to me and to the current Heir. Most of all, it was the brains of Macedonia which allied themselves to the rebels, not the Fist of Macedonia. So the brains were hit by the Iron Fist with great strength.

With my loyal generals, we brought war on the rebels, and were quick to put them in chains. My whole government, many of the brains in the kingdom, betrayed me and was then imprisoned. This made them change opinion, and many of them were supporting the new Heir now that their rebel chief had been executed.

The major loss of this war was elsewhere. My Kyrstonate, great amiral, joined with the rebels and sabotaged our whole fleet. We lost 70 triremes (7 trireme units) in this cowardly act.

From 482 to 489, I brought stability and economic thrive to our country, and tried to rebuild our armies and manpower, restoring Macedonia to a new stable status.

I had two daughters during this time. None were rightful heirs, and heirdom switched backed and forth between generals, archons and counselors. It seemed that everytime a new Heir arose, this heir was to loose life a year or two after.

Eventually I had a new son, Polydoros, and this reassured everyone in the country.

Unfortunately... and to my greatest sadness... in 489 Polydoros died. He was aged 3. This was a disaster. Seeing me as the guilty, instead of the victim, my lordlings rebelled again.

There began the Second Succession Wars.

I led the cohorts myself, along with a few loyal, much more experienced and skilled generals.We had to fight other Macedonians. We had to spill their blood on our own soil.

We were victorious.
Again I pardoned to the most "loyal" of the rebels.
Macedonia needed these lords badly. Why did they turn again against me? Why did any new Heir, young or old, die about one year after? Was there some kind of hidden assassin? (( ooc: or some kind of odd bug, or unbalanced feature? )).

To this I had no answer.
If Gods had cursed my lineage indeed, they forgot to bring this same curse to me. For I was still in good health, and was decided to bring back Macedonia, and give it a rebirth from this second disaster.

Barbarians tried to invade us from the north, following the said Illyrian plan to weaken us, but we survived the threat. In 495, Macedonia had lost much of its manpower to the civil wars and barbarian battles, but was still fielding a few armies and a very adequate navy.

It is at this time that Rome managed to conquer Epirus and shamely annex it. This was bringing to Roma countless riches.

The Romans did what I forbid them to do: they settled in Greece. They settled in my empire! I had thus a Casus Belli on them, for they insulted our independance guarantee.

Macedonians were asking for Roman blood.
Macedonians were asking to restore Epirus under the Macedonian Flag.

Should I declare war to Roma? Should I lead Macedonia to its most terrible fight, when Macedonia itself had only few armies left? Should I lead the other greek nations in this epic war?

Or should I bear patience, calm down my citizens, thus risking being called Kerounos the Coward?

Last edited:
world_495_50.jpg

Interesting.

You certainly did take a different route than I expected but I bet those succession wars didn't help :D

Those romans in greece though, I bet they were pose a problem for you later on.

[at this point an excerpt from a witness of Kerounos is included]

I remember this day.
On a dark, rainy day, his Majesty - bless his name! - summoned six of this generals to his quarters.

I saw Theuclid and Euraspes there. There were many maps laid, many large papyrus maps of all seas West of Macedonia. Something was being set up here, and we all knew what this meant.

The Great King of Macedonia was looking over the maps. His six generals, including myself were gathered around him. His Majesty was showing no sign of age, with the exception of his face. His face was cold. Always has been so since both his sons died.

I was keeping a safe distance with his Majesty, in order to have a better look on everyone.

On the maps themselves were positioned many wood pieces. Ships, soldiers... legionaries! The target was Rome. Of this we were already certain.

"I have decided", said his Majesty. "Gather your armies. Study the Roman legions. Learn their tactics. Prepare our cohorts for a fight against them".

I felt cold. Only a few generals were voicing out their approval. I understood why: loosing a fight against the Romans would be quite terrible. Seeing how Epirus fell, Macedonia might not survive a defeat here, even less the general guilty for this.

"The moon was red last night", said the priest neear us. "Ares has sent us the sign we have been waiting for. Victory is upon us!".

===============================

Two months after, I was in Thessaly, preparing our troops for an attack on Epirus. The first greek villages I met, near the frontier, were proudly showing their support. They wanted the romans out!

But I knew that further south, romans were well settled.

I was to invade Epirus and besiege its cities. With the 8 000 spears I had, including 3 000 cavalrymen, I felt a little confident. No roman legion was to be there, according to our last scouting.

My attack will start the war. On Epirus, Theuclid was coming down from with 14 000 men, one half being made of mercenaries ; he was leading the main force.

We were to attack, take over the cities, then settle a peace treaty with Rome. War was to be quick, for we had no young recruit back home. My army was made of veterans, survivors of countless civil war battles and barbarian attacks.

We are not survivors without being cautious. So I sent out many scouts, and the first ones were coming back.

"- Legions, said my man. Legions all over there.
- How? How many, and how possible is this?
- I have seen heralds of the Third Legion, Fifth Legion and Septimata. They have cavalry and archery, in thousands, but mostly legionaries. It looked like five legions total, my lord General."
- This means 20 000 romans there ! Are you sure about this?
- Yes, my lord General, they just arrived in ships. From the heights, we have seen another roman fleet carrying men over to Epirus. A large fleet. I believe they will continue unloading troops for 3 full days."

Other scouts came later during the day, and the next day, and telled us the same thing. A sixth legion was being landed on Epirus, and according to some merchants I received one hour after, two others were enroute.

I turned over to Arispid, my fastest calvaryman, and yelled for a scribe.

"- Arispid, you will take over a message. Ride straight to the palace of Corinth. Do not stop. Tell the King about this."

I sighed this day.
I sighed heavily, and many times.
Counting and recounting our chances didn't help.

The last day, only a standard garrison was fielding Epirus. Now an army two times our size was there, and I had no confidence on our Achaen allies to launch an offensive along with us on Epirus. I rather expect them to stay on a defensive front.

The attack on the ashamed Roman conquest in Greece... the attack had to be cancelled, or it will never be a fast war, and never be a victory at all.

Ptolemy will be unhappy.

I sighed again - was had to keep our forces ready, for maybe the Romans had a plan - a plan against us.

Last edited:
One week after, I received an answer from his Majesty Ptolemy Kerounos.

I was waiting for Arispid in my tent.
He came in, with barely enough voice left over to tell me his message.

"My lord General... my General, our orders are to move to the northwest, to Taulanti. We will join up with the remaining Macedonian forces there.

- Very well. Sleep here tonight, and head back tomorrow with a fresh horse to Pella. You will take our King next orders and deliver them to me."

To the northwest... I already knew what this could mean.

Last edited:
Looking good! You seem to be doing quite well, despite the roman intrusions. Wonder what kind of fight Illyria might put up to though, in my games they tend to join Epirus/surviving greek state to the south and gang up on Macedonia...

The question remains:

Do we quickly attack Rome with all our might and even though we might lose, at least we have weakened them for some other vulture to pick apart. Or do we wait and see if we can compete with the Romans in an 'arms' race.

Excellent AAR. Good luck dealing with the Roman legions.

Regarding the silly mortality rate for heirs, there is a unofficial hotfix for that in the mod forum: http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=383026

Unfortunately the author says it doesn't work with existing save games.

Thanks a lot Nobby for the link!
I will use it on a future game.

So I believe I will continue loosing heirs for a long time.

The question remains:

Do we quickly attack Rome with all our might and even though we might lose, at least we have weakened them for some other vulture to pick apart. Or do we wait and see if we can compete with the Romans in an 'arms' race.

I always hoped Rome would be busy with Carthage. But it seemed not.

With no manpower, no sturdy heirs, a moderate navy.. I felt strong until I saw Rome's strength.

And Rome has plans for Greece, that is for sure... as you will see! ;)

495 - 502 AVC
The Apollonian Wars

Our tents were set up. Rumors had spread that we would hunt the romans in Epirus, and it served us well ; although our cohorts were very close to the frontier of Taulanti, there was no sign of strong Illyrian armies there.

It was on a beautiful night that Arispid entered my tent.

Exhausted from a long ride, he was still displaying some satisfaction when entering, knowing that I was waiting for those orders.

"Ah... Arispid. You have come.
- Yes, my General."

I sat down. I was clothed in full armor, with only my helmet put down on a table. I had been thinking and studying tactics for a long time already. We really lacked reports about Illyria ; their strength hadn't been studied.

"So, what do you have for me, Arispid?

- My General, I have been in Pella for several days. When his Majesty eventually called me, I found him with armor and sword, with all his guards around him,his priests, and several merchants kneeling before him. Allow me to tell you what I heard there.

- Go on, Arispid. Go on.

"Merchant Yagos, said the King. Tell again this story.

- Yes, my King, replied the merchant. I was in Illyria lately. I was selling salt. It is in the streets that I began to hear about this. People were speaking of Macedonia, and then I heard... then I heard them mentioning the Queen, the Queen of our great Basileus Ptolemy Kerounos.

- And what did you say, they were saying about her?

The merchant then did a short pause.

- They said ill things about the Queen Apollonia. That she was... that she was the thinking part, the brains of the rulership. That she... that she was evil, of all things. And...

Merchant Yagos took a longer pause.

- And that she killed her own sons.

"

While Arispid was taking his breath again, I ordered a pause.

- Arispid, tell me, how did the King react to this?

- He didn't... he didn't react at all, my General. Our Majesty just looked even cooler than before. Then he just said... "Messenger Arispid. You have your orders. Leave and make haste."

But... my General... he ordered me to come back to you, without supplying me with any order.

- Oh... oh yes, Arispid, he did send you with an order. He did! Take some rest. For tomorrow, we march on Illyria!

============================================

The march on Illyria began the next day.

The proud Macedonians met small resistance at first. Then came the generals of Illyria and their armies. Lack of reports about their strength proved to be a weakness; for they had a strong army.

The Macedonians spears found a steel wall of enemies, and pierced it with displicine and strength. Then pierced it again, with discipline and strength. Eventually Illyrians resistance began to fade, and their troops retreated deeper in their country.

The Macedonian fleet managed to dominate the seas, preventing the Illyrians to open a new front.

But a surprise did come, and it was a nasty one. The Dacians allies were coming from the north, and they weren't expected. For together with them came a Barbarian horde, that their movement had stirred up.

It was a whole invasion coming from the north that immediately took hold on Macedonian frontier colonies. Half of our army went there, and was repelled back.

The Apollonian Wars lasted three more years before newly raised mercenary troops managed to reinforce our weakened cohorts and bring victory against both the Daci and the Illyrians. When the Illyrian King tried to negotiate peace, Illyria was completely conquered, all his troops and navies destroyed, and all his allies beaten. King Ptolemy asked much from Illyria, and Illyria was forced to agree, thus becoming a very minor kingdom.

Many proud and sturdy men of Macedonia fell again in this war, and Macedonia was a rich but exhausted country. Many powerful factions in the country were asking for 30 years of peace, to allow our youth to become full men. A generation of peace.

Alas, right after the end of the Illyrian war our King learnt that our Achaean ally had started a new war, and was asking for our help.

The Achaeans had already taken Sparta, about twenty years ago. Both where our allies at the time, so we didn't interfere.

Now they were fighting Bithynia, another of our friends.

Ptolemy Kerounos, Basileus of Macedonia, decided to side with the Achaeans. We were first to land on Bithynia, and claimed it for ourselves. with Bithynia in our hands, we had a complete control over the Porpontis seapass and its eastern sea trade, thus granting us with greater riches.

In year 502 AVC, the greater kingdom of Macedonia was quite larger than before:

world_502_50.jpg

Meanwhile, the Romans managed to submit Gallia Cisalpina, and were fielding even more legions and fleets.

Last edited:
n

502 - 525 AVC
The Gods play with Us

502 AVC

After his last victories, Ptolemy Kerounos, aged 53, was thinking about his heirdom. After two civil wars, one fullscale war and many barbarian invasions, Macedonia was bleeding from its wounds.

He was discussing with his Grand Vizier, also husband of Cleopatra Ptolemy, his first daughter, and Heir Apparent.

"See, Grand Vizier. I have annexed Illyria, submitted the Dacians, conquered Thracia and Bithynia, and proved my strength against two rebellious lords. Isn't Macedonia the greatest power of its time?

- Great Basileus, my King... your glory is assured and the Gods have heard your name. But you know that the Gods have their own disputes, their own battles and their own plans. If you have pleased Zeus and Ares, then maybe other Gods might feel that you have betrayed them.

- How could I betray them, when I am also submitting the northern barbarians to our rule and bringing faith and civilization to them?

- The Hierophant told me yesterday that he has seen new signs. You have to pray and worship Aphrodite, and look for her blessing. You have to bring a lasting peace to Macedonia.

- Our Hierophant has been participating in wild orgies a whole month. That might sound quite acceptable to Aphrodite.

- Yes, Majesty. The Hierophant told us that it was bringing good blessing to us.

- And pleasure for him, that is for sure. But peace! Our lords told me the same thing! Peace! They are all looking for peace. And I am too.

- Our remaining lords have lost all their sons and brothers in these wars. My King.. .they are hoping to see their grand-daughters and grand-sons become full women and men, to be alive to see this, and be assured that their successors will live long enough to have a family as well.

- Do not tell me about this! NEVER! Never speak of family to me, Grand Vizier..."

Ptolemy made a pause. He was thinking about his two lost sons.

"Tell me of the other Powers. What do you know of the Seleucids?

- They have led a successful war on Egypt. They have survived a civil war and extended more control on their western frontier, conquering several kingdoms which were trading with us. But we have been trading with the Seleucids for several yearsas well. Though their power is tremendous, they are not a threat to us.

- Are they not a threat to Bithynia, our recent conquest?

- We are friends with all countries to the East, Majesty. Your diplomatic skills have brought us many friends. Bithynia is actually a good defensive position, the wall which protects Macedonia itself. Thracia is now our seconday wall. Macedonia is well protected from an eastern invasion.

- Diplomatic gains, yes... still, the Seleucids have always refused to ally with us. I was looking for such an alliance in order to have some security to the East, before heading out on the Romans. And if they are not allies, then they will be enemies, one time or the other. And Egypt?

- Aegyptus is concentrating all its mind on the Seleucids, and maybe even on Carthage. Besides, you have built a strong navy, my King. Poseidon will take out half of their fleet, and our amiral the other half, if they decide to come to us.

- Alas, we have no report about their own navy, Grand Vizier, we might as well be blind. Besides, since 478 Egypt has always refused to trade with us, just like Carthage and just like the Romans. If they do not even trade with us, then this means that they have... other plans... to bring our riches to them!

- Yes, my King. Your words are true. Carthage, Egypt and Rome are threatening us.

- What about Carthage?

- The Carthaginians had several succession problems. Civil war struck them, then rebellion and unrest. But they managed to extend some control in Iberia. and they were successful in their war with their former ally, Numidia. They completely annexed them. Carthage seems to be strong and dominate all western trade.

- Strong! You call them strong, yet they seem to be so afraid of Romans.

- Yes, my Majesty. Carthage bowed to the romans, and let them conquer Syracuse and Tarentum.

- Both cities should have been under our protection, Grand Vizier. Romans are a problem. Unfortunately, maybe they are too big of a problem to be taken care of?

- Yes, my Majesty. They are... too big of a problem to be taken care of.

- You are wrong, Grand Vizier. Rome has plans for Greece, plans to enslave us all in their roman civilization. Plans that I will not tolerate.

I will make Macedonia strong. I will raise strong cohorts, gather immense armies. I will build the strongest Greek navy of all times. I will make Macedonia so strong, that the Romans will think twice before attacking us. Leave me ten or twenty years of so called 'Peace', and I will have Macedonia prepared for Rome.

But I do not hope to live so long, Grand Vizier. Hades might one day call me to his realm. That is exactly why I have called you.

- Yes, Majesty? said the Grand Vizier, apparently trying to hide his whole satisfaction about being Basileus himself.

- Grand Vizier, you will no longer be our Heir.

- But you will be King nevertheless.

Call our scribes. We are making an historic change. I will make our rulership be of cognatic succession.

Our daughters are full grown women, with children and spouse. Cleopatra has shown great skills, and Eudipia has proven that she is a true daughter of Apollonia. Both are gifted with great intelligence, finesse, charisma and understanding of military problems.

Being older, Cleopatra will be our Heir. I am still healthy, but do not plan on living twenty or thirty more years, not even ten. Cleopatra will be Basileus after me. She will be a Queen Basileus, and you will be our next King.

- A wise decision Majesty...

- I was sure you would like it. Bring the scribes there. Oh, and remember to tell our shipwright to continue building the newly equipped triremes we have discussed.

- Triremes? Do you plan for a war?

- No, Grand Vizier. There will be peace! But we need a stronger navy than the romans. Romans must be impressed.

- Yes, wise Basileus. With the fleets we already have, and the fleets you are building up, they will surely be impressed.

-Let's hope that they won't be so impressed that they could understand the threat we are. I hope that they will leave us alone for some years. Oh, and I have also two ministers and one governor to remove.

- To remove, Majesty?

- Yes, they have proven disloyal to the crown. Or actually, they do not approve you as the new heir. I do not want to risk a new civil war. Strip them of their power and influence, and they will be forgotten and unable to cause unrest.

- At once, Great Basileus.

- I might not have to put up such removal, as soon as the new sucession law is written and known to the people. With your children and mine, we are adding five legitimate heirs to the throne.

- A wise move, my King. A very wise move."

Macedonia was then set for years of peace... unless the Romans would decide for something other.

Last edited:
OOC :
Another addition. Forgot to tell you that the game is played on Hardcore mode - that is, with no reloading.

I do believe it is the only suitable way to play Europa Universalis games.

It is also my first game of Europa Universalis Rome. It is my second Europa AAR (first being in HoI). I am french, so english writing could be 'improved'.

Now back to the story... *smiles* next update is scheduled for... as soon as I get some replies from you all! :rofl:

OOC :
Another addition. Forgot to tell you that the game is played on Hardcore mode - that is, with no reloading.

Oh! I see, that's quite an ineresting mode to play in. That just adds a layer to this story, and makes it more interesting! :D