• Hearts of Iron IV Survey

Help us make HoI IV better by sharing your experiences in this 5 minute survey

• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

Verrucosus

Sergeant
8 Badges
Apr 28, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
I am curious about the source of the "Historic Review" that is the last part of the EU1 manual. It starts: "The Year 1492 - This is a year more than five hundred years ago ...", so it was written well before the game itself came out. Does anyone know who wrote the review and where it was first published?

Verrucosus

Sergeant
8 Badges
Apr 28, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
I see what you mean. I read "a year more than five hundred years ago" as a slightly rhetorical way of saying "501 years ago", but your reading ("1492 is a year that was more than five hundred years ago") is more straightforward. In that case, the text was probably written for the game itself and Mr Bergquist is to be commended. With respect to describing the game mechanics, I believe Paradox' manual writing peaked with the HoI2 and EU3 manuals, but the EU1 manual excels in creating the right atmosphere, setting the tone for the game as well as displaying the love of history that's behind it. At any rate, thank you for looking into it. I didn't expect a reply that soon in this quiet corner.

Verrucosus

Sergeant
8 Badges
Apr 28, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
Thank you. He taught me stuff about Poland, Scandinavia and Portugal that I don't think I ever learned in school.

The background materials work like a charm setting the mood. The three essays about the starting years (1492, 1617, 1700) help to get immersed into the world on the screen ... even to the point of imagining what young boys who'll be great men of the coming hundred years are up to in one province or another. It's also interesting to read the essays about the great powers along with playing a game. It's surprising how often the first section gives a good overview of the strategic themes of the coming years. The deeper I get into the game the more amazing it is to stop, read another section about what happened, say after 1648, and see just how much my "own" history has become an alternative to reality. I haven't tried it yet, but it should work just as well with EU2, maybe even EU3.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to respond.