• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Download: http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=1929

Let's face it: most native castles are little toy models that don't really resemble historic castles.
So I've had some fun making a few castles from history only using the items already in Warband. That's a challenge :)
And thought I'd offer them as resource for modders interested in Britain around the years 1066-1300
- or to anyone kind enough to try them out and give feedback.
They're just remade native castles and castle interior and dungeons are left untouched; they don't interest me.

It's a fascinating period and so the castles are mostly Norman motte & bailey castles.
They're not exact replicas but meant to look so much alike that it's believeable.

Name: Classic Motte & Bailey Castle

Year: circa 1066-1070.

Reference:

Screenshots:

During a siege: (3 ladders. The gate in the tower can be broken down by the player. The more attackers the more ladders will be used.
If there are only a few attackers they will all go to the central ladder):

Name: Classic Motte & Bailey Castle 2

Year: circa 1066-1070.

Reference:
Screenshots:

During siege: (Attackers spawn by a burned down field - and if defenders sally out the fighting will take place there).

Name: Tonbridge Castle

History: http://www.tonbridgehistory.org.uk/places/the-castle.htm

Year: 1070.

Reference:
Screenshots:

During a siege:

Attackers spawn:

and rush straight in:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Years pass and wooden castles are (re)built in stone...
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Pevensey Castle

History: http://www.infobritain.co.uk/Pevensey_Castle.htm

Year: circa 1080-1150 ?

Reference:
Screenshots:

Attackers spawn in the marsh and have 2 ladders (both are used by the AI by default (order 'charge')

Name: Carlisle Castle

History: http://www.britishcastle.co.uk/index.php?pageId=CarlisleCastle_History

Year: 1122 - 1160 ?

Reference:

Screenshots:

Attackers spawn in the streets:

Moving up narrow stairs

Name: York Castle / Clifford's Tower

History: http://www.cliffordstower.com/

Year: circa 1260-1290

Reference:

Screenshots:
(The courtyard is somewhat empty so performance isn't affected too much)

Attackers spawn on a hill

Fighting in the courtyard

This is awesome. I wish I would do stuff like this, after all so do we have some great fortresses in Sweden (can actually see one from the 14th century from my kitchen window :D)

In the game launcher, click "Configure" and then choose "Run game in edit mode."

Launch the game. When you get to a scene you want to edit, press "Alt+Enter" and the game should become windowed. After that, press "Ctrl+E" and click "Help" in the window that pops up. It will tell you how to edit scenes. :)

Hot damn those look great :eek: I haven't actually seen a siege yet, although I did a quick stroll around a castle yard (I presume walking around a castle yard is the same scene as under siege?), and your castles are absolutely fabulous!

Is it difficult to add/replace the in-game forts with these? I understand there is a readme in the download file, but as I haven't installed any mods (basically, so far I've only had time to do the tutorial and die horribly to some looters in my first test game) I don't have the vaguest clue at how difficult using mods is in the game. But these castles, they look like something I *definitively* want to see in the game :)

Thanks for the nice comments :)

They're all made with items/models already in the game - using edit mode to make the scenes as montfort94 explained.

They're just remade native castles so to install: drag-and-drop them to the sceneobj folder. That's all.
Remember to backup the files or (easier) the entire sceneobj folder.
It has to be easy because I'm dumb as a door when it comes to modding :p

And yes, castles don't have a specific scene for sieges (like towns). During sieges certain items spawn, like siege ladders, trebuchets etc.

The siege scene, and walk around scene are different, unfortunately. However, these could be used to override all the castles, if you just name them the same as the other scenes. (Not recommended though, because not all scenes are castles, so you'd need to know which ones are and aren't.)

Ok, sounds easy enough that even I might succesfully install these then to the siege scenes :) Hopefully some equally nice mod will someday be available for the walking around, as the scenes there were quite bland to be honest.

I presume the Adornos Arena overhaul mod are installed similarily, yes? The one arena fight I took part in was just a basic round sand-field and that didn't feel too epic, at least compared with the YouTube video :)

Thanks for the nice comments :)

They're all made with items/models already in the game - using edit mode to make the scenes as montfort94 explained.

They're just remade native castles so to install: drag-and-drop them to the sceneobj folder. That's all.
Remember to backup the files or (easier) the entire sceneobj folder.
It has to be easy because I'm dumb as a door when it comes to modding :p

And yes, castles don't have a specific scene for sieges (like towns). During sieges certain items spawn, like siege ladders, trebuchets etc.

Nope not a modder, don't know what I was thinking. Must of been my meds.:p

I presume the Adornos Arena overhaul mod are installed similarily, yes? The one arena fight I took part in was just a basic round sand-field and that didn't feel too epic, at least compared with the YouTube video :)
Same thing yes. Some arenas are still mostly empty space - for horses to ride around - whereas other arenas are filled with crap :p

EDIT:

The latest castle:

Name: Beaumaris Castle

History: http://www.castlewales.com/beaumar.html
The last and largest of the castles to be built by King Edward I in Wales...

Year: circa 1330 (construction began in 1295 - and 35 years later it remained unfinished)

Reference:

Screenshots:

Defenders sally out:

During a siege. Only one ladder. It's a bitch to besiege:

Last edited:
Let me spam the thread with another castle: :p

Name: Conwy Castle

History: http://www.castlewales.com/conwy.html (with nice pictures)

Year: 1287

Reference:

conwy_castle.jpg

Screenshots:

Besiegers spawn - to the left:

A siege. There are two ladders (one has been pushed down by defenders) but AI will only use the closest one unless ordered otherwise.

A theater nearby:

Life's but a walking shadow,
a poor player that struts and frets
his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more...

This castles look awesome, really, thank you for posting those screens.

Could you give a small summary of what castles will get replaced by yours if one uses the mod?

The following native castles will be replaced:

Vyincourd = Classic Motte & Bailey Castle

Tevarin = Classic Motte & Bailey Castle 2

Bulugha Castle = Tonbridge Castle

Derchios Castle = Pevensey Castle

Senuzgda = York Castle / Clifford's Tower

Dramug = Carlisle Castle

-------------------------------------------------

And in the upcoming version 1.1:

Tilbaut = Llansteffan Castle

Reindi = Beaumaris Castle

Grunwalder = Conwy Castle

These castles are great. Furthermore, having more than 1 ladder could make AI attacks on player controlled castles less suicidal...