• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A beautiful humbling of the Turks. I love the game dynamics of the straits - put a fleet there and you can rule the world, but keeping the fleet there forever ain't easy. I've had more than one battle plan go awry because my fleet got worn down and had to disperse. . . I never mastered logistics and cycling fleets in and out, and then bam, the Turk rolled through.

Onward!

I was totally expecting a Vladjo IV.

And nice beating of the Ottomans again.

Yeah! And, thanks! :D

Saving the Byzzies twice!!

You must really love 'em :p

Yeah, the question is will Marian love them too? :eek: :D

so do you actually play the game or are you just writing based on your ideas? dont get me wrong, im not trying to criticize the latter, just curious as there are precious little screenshots. thanks (i might have asked this question in the past, not sure)

I modded Slovakia into an IN game a while back, took a lot of notes, and am writing this AAR. I don't have the mod anymore, and I lost it when I had computer problems a while back. But, I still have the notes! That's why there are no screenshots. The only thing that is my own in here are the names of foreign kings, as I recorded them very often. Thus, I just have used the RL Kings and Queens and given them suitable personalities... :)

Please say that Burgas and Edirne are Byzantine. :mad:
Vladjo Marian or just Marian? :(:rolleyes:

No, the Ottos still have those... :( Haha, no just Marian :D

A beautiful humbling of the Turks. I love the game dynamics of the straits - put a fleet there and you can rule the world, but keeping the fleet there forever ain't easy. I've had more than one battle plan go awry because my fleet got worn down and had to disperse. . . I never mastered logistics and cycling fleets in and out, and then bam, the Turk rolled through.

Onward!

Yeah! I know the feeling exactly! :D

10,000 views! :eek: Believe me, it deserves MORE! 90,000 MORE!

Slovak culverins firing away from behind.

Yay! You remembered!:D

Please say that Burgas and Edirne are Byzantine.
Vladjo Marian or just Marian?
No, the Ottos still have those... Haha, no just Marian

Long live Queen - er, King - Marian!

A greatly stylized portrait of Vladjo III at the battle of Rakovski.
You says it's 'greatly stylized'? It's perfectly accurate!:mad:

hossa.jpg
GO MARIAN! LET"S GO HAWKS!

10,000 views! :eek: Believe me, it deserves MORE! 90,000 MORE!

Yay! You remembered!:D

Long live Queen - er, King - Marian!

You says it's 'greatly stylized'? It's perfectly accurate!:mad:

:rofl: Yeah, for sure! Yes I remembered that, or else I wouldn't have mentioned them! :D Hey, Marian is a man's name... :mad: :D I didn't know they wore spandex into battles, then... :rofl:

hossa.jpg
GO MARIAN! LET"S GO HAWKS!

Yeah! Go Hossa and our Marian! :D

OK, enough nationalism from me.

Good to see Constantinopole is still unconquerable.

:rofl: OK, yup the Slovaks have really put out a lot to save Byzantium in two wars... :)

Marian I
Part One, 1460-1463
~In which diplomats are busy~

Marian I ascended the throne upon the death of his brother in 1460, however, the people were in a state of unrest. Since 1398, they had been ruled by Vladjos and the name 'Vladjo' itself had become identifiable with Royalty. So when Marian's name was read as the new King, a revolt broke out in Kosice among the peasants thinking that someone had usurped the throne. Even several months later Marian could not sit easily on the throne, so he decided to flex his muscles a bit to demonstrate his power. However, being a poor military leader, he relied on channels of diplomacy to achieve his aims. In late 1460, he sent a score of diplomats to Prague to negotiate the annexation of Bohemia into the Slovak realm. At first, the Slovaks were laughed off the soil of the client kingdom. They returned four months later with a document giving them unalienable rights to Prague, Pilsen and the surrounding territories. Still, King Jiri did not budge. In July 1461, Marian himself went. He, like his father, was a much taller than average individual at about 6'4" tall and was thusly an imposing figure to diminutive Jiri. On August 2, an agreement was finally reached, called the Treaty of Sorrows by Bohemians and the Treaty of Prague by all else. In the words of a chronicler of the time, Begender of Frankfurt, "The two kyngs did so greet and so did thyre Kyngdommes, bondded fore'er moore."

Folio01r.jpg

The treaty of Prague, housed in the Medieval Museum and Repository in Kosice.

Once more, accusations of homosexuality arise from this text. However, as I had said in previous chapters, those historians are not doing their jobs properly, and are not looking at the writing in the frame of mind it was written in. Simply, the passage it means that Jiri was to return to Bratislava with Marian and become the King's courtier. In recompense for losing his kingdom, Jiri was given the position of chancellor in abt. December 1461, which he held until his premature death in 1470. Ah! But we are getting a head of ourselves! Back to 1461! After the annexation of Bohemia, a certain balance of power in Europe, specifically Central and Eastern Europe was shifted. No long a backwater illegitimate Kingdom, Slovakia had risen to defeat the Hungarians, the Bohemians and the Turks. In the 63 years they had existed, their fight for survival pushed their borders outward towards the heavens and the ends of the known earth. The Hungarians and Austrians now grudgingly started to look upon Slovakia as an equal in world affairs. The new borders also brought Slovakia into Contact with three German states; Bavaria, Brandenburg and Saxony. The Brandenburgians and Saxons had been in some sort of alliance since the 1440-50s, and were a threat to the security of the borders. However, 5,000 Slovaks stationed in the mountain passes of Bohemia discouraged any thoughts of invasion.

In Bavaria, Duke Louis IX instantly saw the benefits of closer relations with the Slovaks. The two countries stood on opposite sides of Austria and thus could cripple her at any time. In early 1462, Louis IX sent Marian an offer of alliance. Though inclined to not accept, new Chancellor Jiri managed to convince Marian that the threat from the Saxo-Brandenburgian alliance was great enough that this alliance with Bavaria would bring more benefits than drawbacks. Marian reluctantly agreed, and on June 7th (or thereabout) Marian and Louis met at Lohburg on the border and signed the Treaty of Lohburg, which created the alliance and gave both nations access rights into the other nation.

Ludwig_der_Reiche.jpg

Duke Louis IX of Bavaria about 1464.

Poland, meanwhile, was a bit uneasy and miffed at the turn of events. A larger Slovak nation worried them, despite the ongoing overtures of friendship. In addition, Marian had not come to Krakow to pay a royal visit. When Casimir IV sent a note to Marian demanding an explanation, Marian sent a note in return. One selection reads, "Synce thous fraternal losse, my fraternal kin did placeth the crowne of the Poles upon thous heade. Thusley, thee Kyngdomme of Slovakiae shalle notte behalten to thee Kyngdomme of Poleland..." What the historian, or the keen observer, can notice is Marian's reference to his brother's innocent act of placing the crown from the dead Władysław III onto Casimir IV, and interpreting this as a sign of Slovak dominance over the allied relationship. This note caused an enormous firestorm within the Polish courts and angry letters were sent between these erstwhile allies. Slovak attention was so focused to the north in 1462-3 that the announcement of an alliance between Hungary and Austria went without much notice. A new and allied threat quickly rose from the West and South, and with the Polish less willing than ever to contribute, the times could not be more dangerous for Slovakia...

CentralEurope1463.gif

Map of the time.

LOL!

1. Peasants in near-revolt over a non-Vladjo - A+!
2. Queer theory retroactively applied to the close, fraternal and indissolvable union of our Slavic Royalty!
3. As usual the Polish are here to spoil the panslavic party :rofl:

You're venturing into comedy, I see?

One must not fear, but charge ahead.

Solid words to live by, if you're a 15th century Slovak King... :)

LOL!

1. Peasants in near-revolt over a non-Vladjo - A+!
2. Queer theory retroactively applied to the close, fraternal and indissolvable union of our Slavic Royalty!
3. As usual the Polish are here to spoil the panslavic party :rofl:

You're venturing into comedy, I see?

:rofl::rofl: I guess you are right!!!! :rofl: Maybe I should do a Slovak comidAAR! :D

I don't like this Marian fellow...

1.His name isn't Vladjo which the peasants too see as a sign of weakness.

2.He thinks.... he thinks Slovakia is the dominant side of the alliance with Poland. Poland which if everything is going at least a bit like in the real world controls half of Russia. (Lithuania.)

3.Because of point 2 he's going to get his ass kicked by Austria-Hungary and get pushed out of the European powers ledger into Small nations some people never heard about ledger.

I don't like this Marian fellow...

1.His name isn't Vladjo which the peasants too see as a sign of weakness.

2.He thinks.... he thinks Slovakia is the dominant side of the alliance with Poland. Poland which if everything is going at least a bit like in the real world controls half of Russia. (Lithuania.)

3.Because of point 2 he's going to get his ass kicked by Austria-Hungary and get pushed out of the European powers ledger into Small nations some people never heard about ledger.

:ROFL:

1. That seems to be the largest concern of all
2. :D ATT it did control a lot, for sure... :eek:
3. :p Well, we have got BAvaria, so we can make the Austro-Hungarians drunk and then PWN THEM!!! :rofl:

Slovakia owns all of Bohemia now! Amazing, not it's time to form the Slovak Empire from the borders of the Austrian Empire, of course, you could always leave the Austrians hanging around :p