• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Looks like the Ottomans got bushwhacked by the Crusaders.

Let's see what is to come from Slovakia next? Great update!

About time the Osmans got their eternally deserved licking.

Haha, relaxing isn't it? :D

I see you got my Culverins back.:D And cruel irony there, using their own cannons to blow up the wall....:rofl:
Ooh, after retrieving the cannons I'm sorely tempted to give you another Cookie.

EDIT: Remember THIS picture?
culverin2.jpg

Hahaha, yes I thought that twist of fate added a lot to the narrative... :D Haha, one is enough, I think I'm still full... :D Yes I do! :)

Did the Ottomans give you 20 ducats? :p

Now to get a bit more space between Bratislawa and the border... :rolleyes:

Yep, 20... :p Yeah, Hungary and Austria seem to be the main obstacles there... :eek:

Poland will strike back! If both your AARs will end in Poland being a small landlocked nation I will be pretty darn angry.

Haha, the last thing I need is an angry Pole, but we shall see... :D

Looks like the Ottomans got bushwhacked by the Crusaders.

Let's see what is to come from Slovakia next? Great update!

Completely bushwhacked... :) Thanks!

Excellent use of diplomacy! Now let's use the truce with Poland to wage a successful war on Hungary?

Thank you! That's a good idea, and we'll have to see if it pans out! :)

1. Magyaro-Slavic-German jackboot? More like coalition of occupation and reconstruction forces :rofl:

2. Nordic Locusts - absolutely insectoid of you!

3. Why are you making Pomerania and Hungary so powerful?

4. With the Turks gone, where are you going to go crusading now?

Nordic locusts!?!?!?!

:eek::mad::eek:

What the...

:rofl: I new someone would see it! :D

Exactly! How can you compare people that pillaged entire europe to locust which pillages entire fields!

Yay sarcasm! :D

1. Magyaro-Slavic-German jackboot? More like coalition of occupation and reconstruction forces :rofl:

2. Nordic Locusts - absolutely insectoid of you!

3. Why are you making Pomerania and Hungary so powerful?

4. With the Turks gone, where are you going to go crusading now?

:rofl: @ all four

3. I'm not doing it, the game mechanics are!
4. Hahaha,we'll see! :D

3. Because he wants to make me angry.

4. To Egypt and beyond!

3. Yeah, that's goal number two... :p
4. Haha, for sure!

Ooh Silesia has returned to the fold and Slovakia is once more on the upward swing. Excellent.

Yes! Thanks! :)

Vladjo IV
Part Three 1494-1498
~In which reform is ignited~

Things didn't heat up too quickly, though... The last part of the 1490s were another brief break from war. However, it did not go without its conflicts. Christianity was somewhat united behind the new face of Pope Alexander VI in the crusade against the Ottoman Turks. However, rank corruption within the Church had become violently apparent. In 1495, an uneducated dishwasher of the Pope's was anointed Bishop of Chieti in exchange for killing a claimant to the Papal throne. Europe was horrified, and many expressed disapproval. Naturally, this disapproval was quickly shut up for the most part. One place where it was not shut up was in the Slovak kingdom.

The Hussites, who had only recently come back from the purges of Marian I, were naturally against this corruption and wanted to break from the Catholic church. Meanwhile the Methodian order, who had never experienced great relations with the papacy anyway, were beginning to close ranks with the Hussites on several issues. When Pope Alexander VI caught wind of this in 1496, he sent a powerful delegation to order the Slovak Christians back into alignment with Rome. Vladjo IV, a religiously liberal man, brushed off the delegation though he promised to make changes. If he were to stand against Rome now, there would not be a Christian nation save the illustrious Byzantines to support him.

When it became flagrantly apparent that no real revocation was taking place, Alexander VI sent another delegation to Vladjo in 1498. However, the political and religious atmosphere had changed vastly in the few short years of 1496-1498. Namely, in those years seven nations threw off the yoke of Catholicism. Several minor nations, however two major nations which would change the balance of power in Europe forever. In the West, France had fallen to a great Protestant wind from the Benelux nations (under Radical leadership of Jan Standonck) which over the course of 12 years had taken almost the whole of northern France with the stronghold of Toulouse in the south. The other great nation came as a shock to many across the world. Austria, a lumbering Germano-giant, had converted to a more Protestant church. The Alpine regions had long been anti-Rome, though when Vienna turned Protestant in 1497 Austria had little way to go. The people largely responsible for the conversion of Austria were exiled Hussites from Slovakia. Thus, when the papal delegation arrived at Bratislava in December of 1498, Vladjo was prepared to give a final answer to the question of conformity. A resounding NO.

The delegation left in shambles and Slovakia now observes December 1 as Jan Hus Day. The Methodians quickly reproduced a copies of the bible in Slovak, Czech and Polish and distributed the new texts to the clergy. Some rumblings occurred, but threat of Temporal peril brought the conformity of the new 'Slovak Church' back into line. This must, naturally, beggar one question within the mind of the fair reader... "Where is Pommerania in all this?" Yes, yes, that super-state was super no longer. Massive revolts in the new territories tied up the Pommeranian army while Pirates in the Baltic bottled up the weak Pommeranian navy so that no safe voyage from Pommerania to revolting Norway, Sweden and Finland could be found. Quite frankly, the Slovaks were glad to be rid of the Pommeranians in 1498.

To whom might we credit this, the great beginning of the fall of Medieval Christianity? Three people. Jan Standonck was a Dutch priest and violent hater of corruption and dogmatic trifles which turned men into barbecued meat. At the ripe age of 30 in 1484, Standonck went to France and began to gather a following for his new Christianity. After twelve years of hard work, in late 1496, King Charles VIII converted to 'Standish Christianity'.

Charles_VIII_de_france.jpg

Charles VIII of France, the first major Protestant King.

The second person was the relatively new Archbishop of Pressburg, a native Methodian named Aurel Husat. Husat was only 33 when he was appointed in 1490, but his efforts to bring the Methodians and Hussites together enabled the eventual religious coalition that brought about the fall of Catholicism in Slovakia. The third was a young man, also from the Netherlands, named Erasmus. Erasmus was only 29 when Austria converted to Protestantism, but their conversion was largely through his influence upon the King, Maximilian I. Due to his influence, the Austrian Church's version of Christianity was named Erasmite Christianity.

erasmus.jpg

Erasmus later in life.

Protestantism, in the three dominant forms of Hussite Christianity, Standish Christianity and Erasmite Christianity, came at a pivotal point in European History, right on the brink of many discoveries and many bloody wars. Naturally, several of these wars have much to do with these new faiths and we shall see that demonstrated in the coming chapters...

Cool. Erasmus seems to have had a more extremist view in your timeline. In reality he was still a follower of the Roman Catholic Church, even though the chuch didn't like his criticism and ideas on how it could work better.

Cool. Erasmus seems to have had a more extremist view in your timeline. In reality he was still a follower of the Roman Catholic Church, even though the chuch didn't like his criticism and ideas on how it could work better.

That's right, but I wanted to have some real characters involved here with this early reformation that occured... Standonck is real too, but the Slovak one is (obviously) made up... :)

More divisions equals more wars. More wars equals better AARs.

LOGIC! :D

Wars of Religion woot!

Austria is a big surprise.