• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Marian I
Part Five, 1479-1486
~In which things fall~

The final straw that pushed Slovakia and Poland into an all-out war was, to borrow a title from a previous chapter, when "violence came to a head." This time as well, it was quite literally. A Polish captain stationed in one of the many border castles was killed during a routine patrol by a group of Bohemian archers. Those are the facts that are known, though intense debate has followed through the centuries over what else is true. Were they in Poland or Slovakia? Did the archers act at the behest of the government or were they one of the dozens of roving mercenary bands that lived in the forest during that time? The identity of the Polish captain has also been called into question, as in was he really a captain or was he just one of the hundred Bohemians press-ganged into the Polish border patrol?

Robin_shoots_with_sir_Guy_by_Louis_.png

Depiction of the shooter of the Polish Captain. The Bohemain mercenaries often wore green and were more than often Hussites, and were thusly known as the Green Hussites or Forest Hussites.

Whether or not the facts are true one way or the other, on August 30, 1479, Poland declared war on Slovakia. Both sides, as mobilized as possible for this moment, quickly met in dozens of border skirmishes as the larger armies marched on past them. The main part of Slovakia, protected by the spine of mountains that separated the two nations, was relatively safe and most early Polish attempts were easily beaten back down the mountains. However, in the relatively flat Slovak-owned Silesia, major fighting would occur. In the last half of 1479 alone, over six major battles occurred between Wroclaw and Lodz. Despite superior Polish numbers, the Slovaks fought each battle to a strategic draw. Casualties were heavy, and new troops were found in German mercenaries and incoming Bavarians. When winter of 1479 stopped the major fighting, both sides lay in desperate straights already. The Slovaks were down well over 20,000 men and the Poles over 25,000. Most devastatingly, the culverins which had served Slovakia for so long had been destroyed at a battle in Silesia. That, not to mention the state of Silesia itself. The countryside had been essentially destroyed by the opposing armies. The population of Silesia essentially evaporated that winter, with all food being either consumed by or destroyed by the armies.

When spring broke in 1480, the first decisive battle in Silesia arose to much Slovak consternation. The battle forever known in Slovakia as 'The Evil Battle' occurred on April 6, 1480. Over 7,700 Slovaks lost their lives to the Polish onslaught. It turned out that Poland managed to save one of the culverins and turned it against the Slovaks in one of the most, as I must abandon the mask of impartial historian, devious plots in the whole of military warfare. The Poles rolled the culverin from the side of the battle field on the Slovak left-flank. The Slovaks cheered, thinking they had salvaged one as NO Polish army had ever had one. It even flew the Slovak Flag! And, no one seemed to notice that as it was being aimed it was turning ever so slowly towards them. Suddenly, a shot rang out and wiped over 500 Slovak lives from the face of the earth... The culverin managed to get off three more shots before the Slovaks fully retaliated, but by then it was too late. The Poles had won and the retreat was on.

And, retreat they did. The Slovaks retreated all the way back to Prague to wait out the Polish incursion. Meanwhile in the south, the Moldavian front had totally collapsed and the Poles were on the verge of either vassalizing or annexing the country. The Poles besieged city after city, and the Slovaks managed to throw them off. The Slovaks had enough to stop any siege but not even close to enough troops to amount a full-scale invasion. Likewise, the Poles had enough troops to invade but not enough to keep any cities they conquered as the Bavarians proved their worth as allies once again. A stalemate ensued for over two years, with devastation and death reigning down on Silesia and Bohemia. Crops, villages, even the city of Olomouc were put to the torch. The people of Bohemia started to riot and revolt festered to end the horrendous war. Despite this, Marian remained steadfastly against this and was determined to win. However, in 1483, two major events occurred which hastened the closing of this war. First, the major city of Brno fell to Polish troops and no amount of Slovak fighting could get rid of them. Second, the first multi-front attack into Slovakia proper succeeded in spectacular fashion. Polish troops managed to push through the mountains for the first time and take the vital city of Presov, where the Royal Family was from. This blow to the honor and pride of Slovakia would've been enough, but there was another strike to come.

Siege_orleans.jpg

The siege of PResov was conducted with the culverin captured by the Poles. The second smaller one worried Slovaks more as it displayed the leaps in technology Poland had made in the last decade.

The second Polish offensive into Slovakia brought the Polish army to the gates of Bratislava. A siege like no other the city had experienced ensued, with over six months of grueling starvation and death. Finally, when the news of Kosice's fall, the Slovaks had to give in. On October 15, a peace was signed ending one of the comparatively bloodiest and most devastating wars in Slovak victory, not to mention a humiliating loss. The Treaty of St. Steffan saw the annexing of most of Silesia to Poland and a compensation of over 100,000 ducats. The Bavarians had the relatively light punishment of 50,000 ducats thrust upon them. However, the most devastating punishment fell to the Moldavians, who were in essence cleaved and vassalized by Poland.

CentralEurope14831.gif

Treaty of St. Steffan​

King Marian could not sit easily on the throne with the specter of a devastating war looming over him. His brother, who had long kept his silence in exile, now returned to Bratislava and spoke openly about removing the King from power. His brother demanded that Marian's eldest son be given the title of King and Marian sent off to retirement in the very lands that lay scorched with the heat of war. Marian flat out refused, and the army kept the peace for the next two years. However, in 1485, Marian had a massive stroke at the age of 59 and was left unable to speak. His brother once more began demanding his abdication, though Marian steadfastly refused.

John_duke_of_burgundy.jpg

Marian I.

The army, which had long been loyal to Marian, finally started to waver and the soldiers started to join the protestors outside the palace. Not only was there the looming defeat of war, the economic and literal famine wracked the country. All the artists dried up and left, including Vladjo Archestsky. Archestsky left Bratislava in early 1486 for the west, where he lived and worked in Amsterdam fron 1486 until his death in 1499 from diphtheria. After learning of Vladjo Archestsky's absence, King Marian is thought to have finally broken his stubborn hold on power. A month later, on July 17, 1486, Marian I abdicated the Slovak throne in favor of his son Methodius. Marian retired to his manor in Presov where he died later in 1486 of a massive stroke. He was 60 years old. His new son, an able diplomat though no talent at administration or war, was still smart enough to realize that no good King would be complete without one simple name. Instead of ruling as Methodius I, he choose to rule as Vladjo IV.

Charles_the_Bold_1460.jpg

Vladjo IV, King of all the Slovaks

Ah! The long-awaited return of the one, true, and most importantly, Vladjo-named Jedi/King.

All celebrate! Totally worth losing Silesia over, too.

A tough loss, but nothing the mighty Slovak people can't handle I think. Well, does it seem like Poland is going to be a major nemesis for Slovakia in the future?

Well, I hope you can get back Silesia in the future. Perhaps it's better to focus efforts elsewhere and gain some more strenght to throw at the Poles.

A word of advice, don't name your pictures after what they are, because your war a) doesn't involve Charles the Bold or John of Burgundy, b) had no battles anywhere near Orleáns, and c) is not a Robin Hood fairytale.:D It's a habit, finding out what these are pictures of.

Nevertheless, I am deeply saddened to hear that Marian (the man) is dead, and replaced by another Vladjo at that! My sorrow is unfathomable at the loss of my beloved culverins. They served Slovakia well.:(

Now, I urge you to rise against the Poles, and defeat them once and for all! You shall descend from the mountains and conquer them!
Niech żyje Vladjo czwarty!

MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I'm proud to be a Pole. That trick with the culverin was brilliant.

And thanks to the Slovak stuborness, Silesia will be properly polish instead of that weard dialect they use in reality. Oh, and make sure they don't allow any german merchants into Danzig and Silesia. It will save a lot of trouble later.

And back to Slovakia.

Hopefully Methodius (I wouldn't mind him being called that. It's a cool name.)
will prove to be a better king than Marian. (Focus on people who he can actually destroy.)

And one more thing :

Is that irony or a mistake? Saying "Long live Vladjo!" in polish is kinda like.... you know, predicting something bad will happen to him.

Ah! The long-awaited return of the one, true, and most importantly, Vladjo-named Jedi/King.

All celebrate! Totally worth losing Silesia over, too.

:D WEll, I guess Slovakia must re-align her priorities! :D

A tough loss, but nothing the mighty Slovak people can't handle I think. Well, does it seem like Poland is going to be a major nemesis for Slovakia in the future?

:) Well, Poland has for sure taken over the hapless Hungarians in the threat-o-meter... :D

I'm sure Vladjo can set things right, excellent story so far!

Ha! I hope so! Thank so, sir, great to have you along! :D

That's why they call him Vladjo the Methodical. :D :D :eek:

:D We can only hope so! :D

Well, I hope you can get back Silesia in the future. Perhaps it's better to focus efforts elsewhere and gain some more strenght to throw at the Poles.

Yeah, not a half bad idea... THe Poles are top dog in Central Europe right now so perhaps beating up on some smaller threats would be a good idea... :p

A word of advice, don't name your pictures after what they are, because your war a) doesn't involve Charles the Bold or John of Burgundy, b) had no battles anywhere near Orleáns, and c) is not a Robin Hood fairytale.:D It's a habit, finding out what these are pictures of.

Nevertheless, I am deeply saddened to hear that Marian (the man) is dead, and replaced by another Vladjo at that! My sorrow is unfathomable at the loss of my beloved culverins. They served Slovakia well.:(

Now, I urge you to rise against the Poles, and defeat them once and for all! You shall descend from the mountains and conquer them!

HAHAHA! Well, glad to see you did some snooping... However, I must disappoint b/c I like using the historical pictures in reference to what I am talking about... :) Yeah, I was really sad/mad when they were lost in Silesia too... :( Haha! I will try, despite your Polish irony there as Vesimir points out! :rofl:

Vladjo, the future of Slovakia.
You lost land?
You fooooool!

Yes, yes I did... :(

MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I'm proud to be a Pole. That trick with the culverin was brilliant.

And thanks to the Slovak stuborness, Silesia will be properly polish instead of that weard dialect they use in reality. Oh, and make sure they don't allow any german merchants into Danzig and Silesia. It will save a lot of trouble later.

And back to Slovakia.

Hopefully Methodius (I wouldn't mind him being called that. It's a cool name.)
will prove to be a better king than Marian. (Focus on people who he can actually destroy.)

And one more thing :

Is that irony or a mistake? Saying "Long live Vladjo!" in polish is kinda like.... you know, predicting something bad will happen to him.

Haha, it seems your Polish nationalism has surfaced again... :rofl: Well, despite Vladjo IV being an inept administrator and a so-so general, he is at least a well-qualified diplomat... That'll help! :D Yeah, the irony is actually quite funny.. :D

If you survive into modern times, will Slovakia be ruled by Vladjo XXXIX?

Hahahha! Well, one can only dream of so many Vladjos! :D

Sorry, but I can't help it. I'm proud to be from Poland of the Medieval ages right untill the late 1600 after which the commonwealth was pretty much destroyed.

Nech žije Cisár na Slovensko! Nech žije slovenské šľachty! Nech žije Slovensko!

Nech žije Cisár na Slovensku! Nech žije slovenská šľachta! (or Nech žijú slovenské šlachty, but that is just weird) last one is ok:)

Argh, Google deceived me into thinking it was Slovak.:mad:
Nech žije Vladjo štvrtý!

:rofl: You have to be careful with the google stuff... :D

Sorry, but I can't help it. I'm proud to be from Poland of the Medieval ages right untill the late 1600 after which the commonwealth was pretty much destroyed.

Nech žije Cisár na Slovensko! Nech žije slovenské šľachty! Nech žije Slovensko!

No problem! I respect nationalism and pride... :)

Nech žije Cisár na Slovensku! Nech žije slovenská šľachta! (or Nech žijú slovenské šlachty, but that is just weird) last one is ok:)

:D Thanks for the Slovak post and glad to have you along on this AAR! :D

Vladjo IV
Part One 1486-1489
~In which good planning occurs~

Vladjo IV, King of all the Slovaks, was born Methodius Vladjo, Prince Royal on April 16, 1451 at half past noon. He is the first Slovak King to have his time of birth noted which shows how the record keeping system in Slovakia had improved tremendously in just a few decades. Vladjo IV was born to his father Prince Vladjo Marian, later Marian I, and his mother Maria, the Countess of Olomouc. Being their only son, Marian and Maria spoilt little Methodius, who was known by his nickname of Meta, and indulged his every whim. When he was six he lit some tapestries on fire but he was not punished for it. At the age of eight, he was sent off to a Monastery run by Methodians to be educated. Rather than having the effect of increasing his hubris, as in the case of Vladjo II, the experience calmed him down significantly.

stanne.jpg

Monastery of St. Jan near Banska Bystrica, run by Methodians.

When Marian became King somewhat unexpectedly in 1460, the position of Meta in the court became much more important and as such additional instructors went to him in the Monastery. He completed his education in 1467 and thereafter was given a diplomatic post in the chancellor's office. In 1472 he was made diplomat at large and send to various courts throughout Europe. From Edinburgh to Constantinople, and from Naples to Stockholm, Meta travelled extensively from 1472-1483. In 1483 Meta returned to Slovakia to negotiate the treaty of St. Steffan with the Poles. He was a successful enough negotiator that Poland dropped claims to Bohemia outright.

Despite his Uncle's protestations and declarations, Meta never went along with plans to oust his father from power until after Marian had his stroke. On July 17, upon his father's abdication, Meta became Vladjo IV, King of all the Slovaks. He was crowned as such by the Archbishop of Pressburg, Pieter von Hollander, on August 30, 1486. Like many before him, one of the first official state acts Vladjo IV did was to marry. Surprising many, he did not choose his bride from a neighboring country to cement an alliance. Instead, he made the, in this humble historian's opinion, brilliant marriage between himself and the daughter of the aged Swedish King Karl II. They were married by proxy on November 1, 1486. The new Queen of Slovakia, named Vilhelmina (though later she adopted the Slovak name of Valenta), made the journey to Slovakia and arrived in Spring of 1487. Over the course of their marriage, Vladjo and Valenta had six children, only two of whom survived to adulthood.

Dronning-Sophie.jpg

Vilhelmina (Valenta) in her later years.​

In summer of 1487 a great fire broke out in Bratislava which burned down over half of the city. Fortunately, the Palace, the Market and St. Methodius Cathedral were spared. What was destroyed would actually benefit Bratislava in the long run. The wooden houses which had been so infested with diseases and the like were swept away quickly. Vladjo IV, wanting to sympathize with his subjects, granted large sums of cash to have the city rebuilt. While many of the new structures were still wood, Vladjo made certain that every five rows of structures there were ones made of stone to act as a fire break so that the whole city many never burn down at the same time. Also, the first professional fire brigade since the fall of the Roman Empire was created under Vladjo's auspices in September of 1487.

fire_of_moscow_1547.gif

Fire of Bratislava

A quiet fall and an even more quiet winter brought a peace to Slovakia that hadn't been seen in a decade. The parts of Bohemia put to the torch had finally allowed crops again and no starvation greeted anyone that winter, thanks in part to the Edict of Charity as well. In spring of 1488, we see the reasoning behind the brilliance of Vladjo's decision to marry Valenta. That March, King Karl II died at age 79 leaving no direct heir. As such, the Kingdom of Sweden and Norway passed to the grandson of Karl's eldest daughter. The grandson in question just so happened to be the newly crowned King of Pomerania. Thus, a super state of Norway, Sweden and Pomerania was created with Vladjo's nephew-in-law on the throne. An alliance was concluded shortly thereafter and suddenly, Poland had a huge threat looming in a vast northern neighbor and a southern one just waiting for revenge. Not long after, Vladjo IV in conjunction with the Pomeranian King Bogislaw X began planning a vast war against Poland and her ally Moldavia. They were still in the planning stages when Hungary sent Slovakia an interesting proposition in June of 1488. In exchange for the freedom to do what they liked in Wallachia, they would sign an alliance agreement with Slovakia and Pomerania against Poland. This offer came as a shock to Vladjo IV, though when King Matthias Corvinus sent 25,000 ducats as a show of goodwill it was accepted readily. Plans were finalized in January of 1489, with the invasion set to begin in the spring. Poland, who had just finished a border war with the Lithuanians, would be caught totally off-guard.

The Poles don't stand a chance against the combined might of Slovakia, Sweden and Hungary :D

Looking forward to a full-scale war.:)

Please tell me you've got new culverins. I loved those cannons.