• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Aha!

I love this King. The man has balls to spare.

Nice dk. Out of the way country and little written about. I'll be curious to see how well you do with your neighbors with such big appetites. Good luck!

Aha!

I love this King. The man has balls to spare.

:rofl: Vladjo I dubs you Sir RGB! :D

Nice dk. Out of the way country and little written about. I'll be curious to see how well you do with your neighbors with such big appetites. Good luck!

Thanks for the interest, coz1! Glad to have you along for the journey... :D

Its going to be interesting to watch what you can do. Hopefully you’re as capable with Eu3 as you are in Victoria. :p

Thanks, and I hope so too! :D

Very nice! I don't think I've ever seen a Slovakian AAR on the EU3 forums.

It's good to see you here, keep the updates coming! :D

Thanks! Sure thing! :D

Eagerly awaiting end of holiday...

I'm not... :D

I wonder how the pope likes it when janissaries storm the Pest fortress within 50 years... :D
Maybe ally with ottoes?

They do present a viable option, in case of possible and probable Hungarian belligerance... :D

I'm board for this one, mainly to see how you can ruin Austria in the 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th, and early 19th centuries. :p ;)

Well, this bloody well means I'm back and had a great vacation! :D

one of the best in aar land comes to eu3 but can you please not kill the austrains this time

:D It seems I cannot live down my reputation... I'll try earnestly, sir! :D

I'm board for this one, mainly to see how you can ruin Austria in the 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th, and early 19th centuries. :p ;)

Another naysayer! Phfttt! :D

Vladjo I
Part Two, 1398-1409
~In which Blood is Spilled and a Brother Chastised~

Albrecht_Achilles.jpg

Vladjo I, King of Slovakia, at age 30.

Once born, the Kingdom of Slovakia enjoyed a small respite of peace, when according to the wishes of both Popes; a peace treaty was concluded on June 15, 1398 whereby Slovakia was guaranteed of peace from Hungarian attacks for the remainder of the century. Almost immediately afterward, Vladjo left Slovakia in the care of Archbishop Vaclav while he made a pilgrimage to Rome, and further Avignon to receive the blessing of both Popes that had let him and his nation exist. According to most valid sources, he was blessed in Rome on St. Valentine's day, and Avignon on St. Patrick's day. (Both in 1399)

During the lesiurely return trip to Bratislava, Vladjo met with varying heads of state. Confirmed ones are Albrecht IV, Duke of Austria, Antonio Venier, Doge of Venice, Gian Galeazzo Visconti, King of Milan, and Albrecht I, Duke of Bavaria, Count of Holland and Hainaut. It is rumored among modern academia that Vladjo might have also visited Charles VI of France at Avignon, but it is unlikely that Charles would be in the south at the time, given that the greatest Burgundian threat was being flaunted in the north near Artois and the Vexin.

When Vladjo finally returned to Slovakia in September of 1399, he found that Vaclav had been an adept administrator, building a civil service out of thin air and instituting major reforms such as the lowering of taxation when the Ruthenians got a bit uppity with Vladjo's absence. Vaclav's biggest and most impactful reform was the creation of the educational system, which amounted to the foundation of an order of Catholic Monks called the Methodians, named after the St. Methodius.

The affairs of the Methodians were rocky at first, with little papal support for the 'official' creation of their order. Exasperated, Vladjo was prepared to shut the Methodians down until a letter arrived from the Avignon Pope Benedict XIII with his official 'approval' of the order's existence, in exchange for Vladjo's renouncing of the Roman Pope. Vladjo, desperate to find a way out without disaffecting his powerful brother, readily accepted. As a result, relations with Rome suffered greatly, as with Northern Italy, England and the Scandinavian countries. Most importantly, it disaffected Poland and Hungary, though the Hungarians more than the Poles. Quickly realizing his brother was overstepping his authority, Vladjo sent him on several diplomatic missions in Poland in order to repair relations with that Kingdom. Vaclav's silver tongue slowly yielded results, and relations had significantly improved by the end of 1400.

With the Methodian crisis of 1399 off his shoulders, Vladjo celebrated by taking a wife, and on February 1, 1400 married 17 year-old Matya Oginski, heiress of part of Ruthenia now controlled by Slovakia. Over their 26 year marriage, they would have five children, of whom three would survive to adulthood.

By late 1401, Hungarian loathing for Slovakia's existence (coupled with Slovakia's abandoning of the Roman Pope in favor of the one in Avignon) caused significant chafing on both sides of the tense border. The tensions erupted on November 10, 1401, when a brand new 7,000 strong Slovak army was christened the "Hungaria et Pontifex Romanum Minimum" which had the dual effect of provoking the Roman Pope and King Sigismund at the same time. Hostilities commenced immediately, with the Hungarians fording a bridge across the Danube and laying waste to South Slovakia. On St. Stephen's day*, the Slovak army under Vladjo attacked the Hungarian's rear, which had become laden with plunder and booty. The attack, which twice used the feigned retreat tactic, was so successful and devastating, a mere 150 Slovaks for 5,000 Hungarians, gave Vladjo the moniker 'Lionheart of the East' in reference to the famous English king.

br1.jpg

An idealized St. Stephen's Day battle. The later artist was not aware of the date as it lacks the heavy snow that commonly furnished Slovakia in late December.

Vladjo used the old tactic of feigned retreat at several further battles in quick succession, and each one was convincing enough to warrant a near textbook of information. However, I will just list them and their dates.

1. Okoc: January 2, 1402
2. Bana: January 11, 1402
3. Mosca: January 14, 1402
4. Kocs: January 16, 1402
5. Tata: January 22, 1402
6. Szar: January 27, 1402
7. Felcsut: February 2, 1402
~and~
8. Paty: February 9, 1402​

After his great string of battles, his first defeat came at the shores of Lake Biai-to, a mere 11 miles from Buda and Pest. This defeat, however almost eclipsed his previous victories as it forced Vladjo to quickly retreat back to the border of Hungary before his precarious supply lines be cut. He arrived at Baj, near the site of his victory at Tata, on April 3, 1402. His lack of action thereafter caused the war to be stalemated for nearly the rest of the year. The Hungarians, devastated after the running campaign of Jan.-Feb. 1402 were unable to cope with their losses while at the same time the stubborn Vladjo refused to move more than defeating most Hungarian incursions into Slovakia.

Seeing the inescapability of peace, Sigismund sent peace feelers to Vladjo as early as December 1402, however, they went unacknowledged until spring. The devastating third battle of Kocs nearly destroyed the Hungarian army, and Vladjo finally felt comfortable enough to respond to the peace offers by making one of his own. It demanded a large portion of northern Hungary and several thousand Italian gold Ducats as recompense. Sigismund haughtily turned it down and the war resumed. Eventually, the peace deal Vladjo had been promoting and the one Sigismund had been promoting were combined and a virtual status quo, with only 2,000 Ducats** transferred from Hungary to Slovakia, ending the hostilities. The treaty was signed on the battlefield at Tata on May 1, 1403.

The peaceful years of 1403-1409 brought much prosperity to Slovakia. The Methodians were expanded to over 30 monasteries, over which Archbishop Vaclav oversaw like a watchful hawk. Not yet chastised since his Methodian debacle in 1399, Vaclav instated a major reform by ordering the translation of the bible into Slovak without Vladjo's knowledge. When forty copies were discovered by a passing Papal legate of Boniface IX (Pope in Rome), in 1405, all hell broke loose.

Boniface IX immediately excommunicated Vaclav, while Benedict XIII merely put his lands under an interdict until he renounced his views. He had until new year 1407, or then he would be excommunicated in the eyes of both churches. Vaclav initially ignored both, and only relented when Vladjo stormed into his chamber demanding a solution.

An apocryphal story relates that Vladjo entered with a burning copy of the Slovak Bible, but it is supercilious humor used by a 18th century chronicler, and no such thing has appeared before in any text of the era. Vaclav relented bitterly, and renounced his views and burned all the bibles in question, save one. He kept the last one secret and it wasn't until 1929 that it was discovered and declared the archaeological find of the previous decade, overriding the tomb of Tutankhamen.

In between 1403-1409, trade along the Danube prospered, and relations with the Polish nation grew. In 1404, Vladjo's youngest sister Katharine married the Polish King Wladyslaw II's nephew Zbignew of Suwalki. After the peaceful times were continuing along quite well, the Bohemian King Sigismund*** grew extremely jealous of Slovakia's newfound wealth, and border disputes were common. By 1409, the border disputes grew in importance when, in a raid near Zavod, King Vladjo's Uncle Ladislav of Lipany was killed. Vladjo, in a white hot rage, declared war on Bohemia on August 1, 1409. Slovakia was jolted from her slumber, and it did not look to be a pretty war in any sense of the word.

* December 26th
**Really 2 Ducats
***I know, I know, he's the same King as Hungary but we will be treating him differently... ;)

Last edited:
St.Valentine's to St.Patricks?

Nice piligrimage! Was he drunk since he left? Is this so-called vacation gonna soon be his death?

:D

---

Nicely handled, actually. Hungary must be smarting.

When the Hussites apear in Bohemia invite them over! Catholic popes already hate you.

Well, if Vaclav's still alive I can imagine him doing no less... :D

St.Valentine's to St.Patricks?

Nice piligrimage! Was he drunk since he left? Is this so-called vacation gonna soon be his death?

:D

---

Nicely handled, actually. Hungary must be smarting.

:D :wacko::D Thanks, the Hungarians are still fuming though i doubt action will occur soon since the warm Polish-Slovak relations continue unabaited...

NOTA BENE: Fixed the "*" situation, now they say what they're supposed to... :D

Uhh...Methodians? Do these monke actually exsist?

'Lionheart of the East', in other words: "Onwards, Slovakia, onwards! Victory for Slovakia! Onwards..."

No, I just made them up. Cool name though... :D

And, :D

Very neat update, but you may do as you wish with the Kingdom of Hungary in this game!