• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Methodius I
Part One 1510-1511
~In which views collide~

Methodius Marian Presovksy was born March 21, 1490, the first child and eldest son of King Vladjo IV. As a child, he was tall, thin and sickly. Doctors from across Europe were brought in to preserve the boys life and it was only when he was five that he was able to walk and talk on his own. His mind, tortured by his early expierences, always seemed to drift. During his education at the Monastery of St. Gabriel, he was more than once beaten for not paying attention. When Slovakia converted to Protestant Hussitism in December of 1498, little Methodius made the conversion with his father. However, his longstanding hatred of the catholic clergy for his whippings increased his devotion to Protestantism. St. Gabriel, one of thirteen monasteries in Slovakia not affiliated with the order of St. Methodius, was closed and Methodius was sent to Charles University in Prague to finish his studies. The last Slovak King to do so was Vladjo I many years before.

Vladjo graduated at age 15 in 1505 and from there was made Duke and governor of the Bohemian province. Though initially thought of as a poor decision, it was quickly realized that Methodius was a brilliant administrator and within a few years Bohemia was yielding almost double tax returns. Methodius, however, was not without his disabilities. His early childhood experiences and beatings at the hands of Catholic Priests made him fervently Anti-Catholic and paranoid of most everything around him. In late 1509 he was married to the 16 year-old Olga v. Habsburg, a second cousin of the current Habsburg ruler. Unfortunately, Olga died shortly thereafter for one day while riding in the forest outside of Bratislava, her horse was spooked and threw her. She died within a week of massive blood loss and 'genyrale carnage' as the doctor stated. Five days later, King Vladjo IV died in his sleep on August 30, 1510. Stricken by massive loss, Methodius refused to be crowned as a Vladjo, and instead was crowned as Methodius I on November 14, 1510. Offers of marraige poured in from several nations, though Methodius rejected them all. He was not interested in marriage after loosing his beloved Olga.

The tragedies which had been building up pressure inside Methodius came to an abrupt explosion on New Year's Day 1511. That day, the "Revocation Committee", a group of fiercely Catholic barons and nobles mainly from Silesia, Moravia and Eastern Slovakia came to Bratislava to demand the end of the Hussite Church and a return to the Catholic Church. None of the nobles knew Methodius personally or else they would have never came. Methodius executed all 17 of them, seized their lands and titles and declared that any noble who thought the same would receive the same treatment. This shocking incident pushed all moderates to one side, and even pushed some Protestants into the Catholic camp. In other words, civil war was brewing in Slovakia over matters of faith. Fortunately, it came at a good time politically. Hungary was busy putting down revolts from Protestant Croatians and Poland was busy fighting Lithuania again.

slovakia3.gif

The two sides, called Methodists (supporters of King Methodius and Protestantism) and Legitimists (supporters of the legitimate church) began to have small show downs in market squares and tavern across Slovakia. However, the Legitimists had no champion to call their own. That is, until Methodius's cousin Stefko, Count of Saris converted to Catholicism in April of 1511 and declared himself to be the legitimate ruler of Slovakia. Though Slovakia was technically a state of Semi-primogeniture, no one had ever ruled that descended from a woman of the Presovksy line. However, despite questions of legitimacy, the 'legitimists' ironically scrambled to Stefko's side. Nobles from Bohemia and West Slovakia and the newer parts of Hungary signed up on the side of the Methodist faction in equally as zealous a force as the Catholics joined Count Stefko's side.

RFT.jpg

The stage being set for conflict, the powderkeg finally blew in early Autumn. Quite literally. Some legitimists had tried to capture a culverin from the Royal Armory in Prague, but where blown to bits when the powder was *somehow* set alight. Both sides blamed the other and armies began to march.

Last edited:
He was interested in marriage after loosing his beloved Olga.
I believe you mean he was not interested.;)

The two sides, called Methodists (supporters of King Methodius and Protestantism)
Inspired by my remark?:p

Some legitimists had tried to capture a culverin from the Royal Armory in Prague, but where blown to bits when the powder was *somehow* set alight. Both sides blamed the other and armies began to march.

That's why smoking was outlawed here.;)
And I see my culverins have made an explosive return...:D

Slovakian Civil War? This should be extremely interesting to watch and see. Certainly the Protestants will have the advantage of controlling the industrialized areas of Slovakia while Catholics seem to hold a slighter majority in total land area by the maps.

Can't wait for more! ;)

Ah, and soon some other power shall intervene? :D

That would certainly be bad for Methodius, unless it was the Austrians! :D

I believe you mean he was not interested.;)

Inspired by my remark?:p

That's why smoking was outlawed here.;)
And I see my culverins have made an explosive return...:D

Fixed! Yeah, I was going to call them the Neo-Hussites, but Methodists fit in well with your remark! :D Haha, yeah don't want those sorts of accidents to occur, right? :D Yes they do! :)

Not cool! Closing down the monastery, which patron gave me my name!

And if Silesia doesn't revolt to Catholic Poland, I will be seriously dissapointed. (And will start to believe that someone is doing something for Poland to stay weak.)

My my it seems my AARs manage to offend you! Excellent! Hahahaha! :rofl: Well, Silesia is certainly in an interesting spot. Ruled by Catholic Slovaks, populated by Catholic Poles... It's a true mix! :)

Slovakian Civil War? This should be extremely interesting to watch and see. Certainly the Protestants will have the advantage of controlling the industrialized areas of Slovakia while Catholics seem to hold a slighter majority in total land area by the maps.

Can't wait for more! ;)

Yeah, both sides are about even so it should be an equal war! Haha, more will come soon enough! :)

Civil war is an interesting development, we'll see if the non-Vladjo king keeps his head or loses it...permanently.

Hahaha, a joke befitting this AAR! :D That recalls to mind the ironic passage where Vladjo II dies, "In which violence comes to a head"

Here's a message to all catholics: time to get Methodised!

Ya! Religion Wars!

I spit on this AAR!

It was written just to spite me!

Unfortunately, it was also written rather well.

No, wait, it's half as bad -- Vienna has not been sacked at all! :) Huzzah!!!

Nice work, demokraticflip! I like your writing, your maps, and your interesting alternate history -- especially where Byzantium and the Ottomans are concerned. Also, I have always felt that a queen Marian would be totally hot, so good to see the Slovaks made that happen. :D

By the way, now that I'm here, feel free to go ahead with the burning of Vienna. I know you've just waited so that I could savour it to the fullest. :rolleyes:

I spit on this AAR!

It was written just to spite me!

Unfortunately, it was also written rather well.

No, wait, it's half as bad -- Vienna has not been sacked at all! :) Huzzah!!!

Nice work, demokraticflip! I like your writing, your maps, and your interesting alternate history -- especially where Byzantium and the Ottomans are concerned. Also, I have always felt that a queen Marian would be totally hot, so good to see the Slovaks made that happen. :D

By the way, now that I'm here, feel free to go ahead with the burning of Vienna. I know you've just waited so that I could savour it to the fullest. :rolleyes:

:rofl: Thank you for the (somewhat) praise! :D Hahaha, well since Vienna rests in the protestant yoke, it seems if the Methodists win the civil war then the Austrians would grow closer to the Slovaks, and if the Legitimists win then Austria will most likely be in the crosshairs once more... :D

Stefko. Gotta love that name. Just because of the name, I'm officially rooting for the legitimists.

Death, I say, DEATH to the heretics!

Hahaha! :D A great *method*ology for choosing sides! :rofl:

Methodius I
Part Two 1511-1513
~In which brethren fight~

The words of the great chronicler Andrev of Ciezyn (1468?-1532), "And theyre was a great bursting of canon. And then thee war was embarqed upone," sum up the opening to the conflict quite well. Fifteen days after the explosion of the cannon at Prague, King Methodius drew his army around him and gave an impassioned speech. Despite the King's mild stutter, the soldiery were largely inspired and stayed loyal to the crown of Slovakia. Similarly, armies in Bohemia announced their loyalty to Bratislava. The armies stationed in Moravia, Silesia and Eastern Slovakia declared their loyalty to Count Stefko who set his throne at Presov. The reasons for choosing Presov were at once both strategic, as it is far away from the Methodist forces, and symbolic. The first of the Presovsky line came from Presov.

Several days later, on October 26, 1511, Methodius ordered his troops to move from Bratislava and try to reconnect with the loyal Methodist armies in Bohemia. The Legitimist forces had only recently assembled to block the great Royal Road from Bratislava to Prague near the village of Hustopeče. Marching from the south, Methodian commander Jan Miluja followed directly on the road which was in gently rolling countryside. From behind a small knoll, several hundred Legitimists in armor rushed out and charged into the Methodist front. The front lines panicked and fled, and only through superhuman effort was the madly shouting Miluja able to halt a total route. Ordering the cavalry to turn and hit the Legitimists from the flank, Miluja watched as the poorly-trained legitimists were slaughtered at the hands of the experienced cavalry. The first conflict of the civil war was almost a major slip up for the Methodists and was largely saved through the will power of the general.

When the troops arrived in Hustopeče, the largely German community there hailed them as their saviors. Why, the reader might ask? Simple. Of the total population of the Slovak Kingdom, almost 7% were ethnic Germans scattered in towns and villages across the country side and all of them were fiercely Protestant expatriates from largely Catholic Bavaria and Brandenburg. Outside of Hustopeče, towns with Catholic Slav populations and Protestant German ones saw fighting and skirmishing in the streets. This was a tough situation for Ming Methodius, though in the end he decided to choose religion over ethnic brotherhood and allowed for the trial and execution of many Slavic Catholics which led to three non-legitimist related uprisings during the course of the civil war.

By the beginning of January, a strong link was finally established between Bratislava and Prague allowing for a united offensive against the legitimists. However, before the Methodists could strike, the legitimists did. In the dead of night during a snowstorm, 2,000 legitimist cavalry lead by Count Stefko himself stormed and burned the castle at Roztoki, the last Methodist stronghold in Silesia. The burning of Roztoki inflamed Methodists, though before action could be taken another legitimist victory was scored in the east when the Moldovians, largely Catholic themselves, refused to back King Methodius in his civil war and refused to continue as the vassal of the Slovak Kingdom. Furious though he was, Methodius was impotent to stop it.

To make up for the two fast losses, Methodius ordered Gen. Miluja out from Prague to harass Count Stefko in Silesia. After several months of indescisive skirmishing, a great battle was held near Liberec at a village called Tanvald. The battle of Tanvald saw 12,000 Methodists go up against 9,000 Legitimists. Over 3,000 Methodists died in the battle, where they won. However, only 956 Legitimist casualties were incurred.

The_Death_of_Gaston_de_Foix_in_the_.jpg

Count Stefko leading his men in the din of the Battle of Tanvald, a pyrrhic victory for the Methodians.​

This gave hope to the leadership of the rebellion that they might win despite the setback of allowing Prague and Bratislava to be linked once more. In the following months, several other indecisive battles occurred.

As the new year of 1513 broke, the sides were as evenly matched as they were in 1511. This just might be a longer conflict than anyone anticipated.

slovakia1513.gif

the King's mild stutter [...] Ming Methodius [...] decided to choose religion over ethnic brotherhood

What is this- a stuttering Chinese king, who favors Germans over Slovaks?

Count Stefko who set his throne at Presov [...] during a snowstorm [...] The battle of Tanvald saw 12,000 Methodists go up against 9,000 Legitimists. Over 3,000 Methodists died in the battle, where they won. However, only 956 Legitimist casualties were incurred.

That's more like it. A down to earth man, he doesn't need anything fancy, if Presov was good enough for Vladjo I, it's good enough for him. He can ride through a snowstorm to take a castle and singlehandedly make up for being 3000 men short. YAY for Stefko I!