• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Rabbit55821

Private
24 Badges
Nov 17, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings Complete
Historia Quod Britonum
"History of the Britons"
Act One: Guardians

Aeternus. Futurum. Quorum Praeteritum. Time is but another realm, waiting to be manipulated. Waiting to be conquered. Waiting to be stirred. Everything can be changed by the actions of one.Who will take up the mantle, and change everything?

Or6GJvG.jpg
N/A

N/A

N/A

N/A

Monarchs and Leaders
Duke Morcar I Leofricson/1028 - 1084/Reign: 1065 - 1084
Duke Thored I Leofricson/1070 - Living/Reign: 1084 - Ongoing​

Last edited:
Hello, and welcome to my first AAR (on these forums at least)! This AAR is the first part of a Mega-Campaign which will go through CK:DV, EU3:DW, VIC2: HoD, and then finally on to Hearts of Iron 3 and all it's relevant expansions. However, this AAR will also include a lot of narrative storylines, and will be separated into four parts.

The first of these is Historia Quod Britonum, which is the basic AAR. These Chapters will be written as part of a History Book called Historia Quod Britonum that is, in the fiction, written in 1968 after the AAR's end, of which a series will be written on based on the author and his journey.

The second of these is Quorum Praeteritum, which will follow alongside the basic AAR and it's timeline, and will show events from different character's perspectives, and also will follow a narrative storyline.

The third is Futurum, which will follow the Butterfly Project in 2046 AD, which occurs in our timeline. The point of separation in the Futurum timeline is the date upon which this AAR begins. All events after May 5th, 2016 are pretty much up to me ;)

Then there is Aeternus, which I will leave you to discover what it is about...

Finally, there will be posts titled "Interludes", which will provide updates on the culture or world of the HRB timeline as the AAR develops.

A Quorum Praeteritum Chapter will be posted for every Historia Quod Britonum Chapter, probably at least one or two, possibly more in between Historia Quod Britonum Chapters. A Futurum Chapter will be posted at the beginning of an act and then once every five HRB Chapters, and Aeternus will have a similar posting rate, except every ten chapters instead of every five. Interludes will be posted as I fit, and usually after important events.

I will say that other then my Aeternus Chapters, my posts tend to be short and sweet. There will be also be some notable influences from other AARs, but just stick around...this AAR is entirely me based. And for those wondering why I am using CK:DV instead of CK2, it is mainly because my computer cannot handle CK2 and EU4, and because I already started playing CK:DV. At the current moment, I have about 22 Chapters already written, and will probably be posting at a rate of about five a day until I reach by 22nd Chapter.

In finality, I would like to say that I am determined to finish this AAR. The only reason I would not is if I have a crash-related event, whether it be for my save game or my computer (although I tend to make a lot of copies in preparation for that :)), or I just get bored to utter tears writing this (which is very, very unlikely).

So, here we go! I hope you guys enjoy, and wish me luck!

Aeternus I
Date Unknown
6c4f9aac0023642df8135c47a6b96225.jpg

Hundreds of Odrysian soldiers charged into the battle below, with the Carthaginians hiding behind their Spartan slaves. Dozens of elephants charged into the Odrysian army, killing many times their number. The Odrysians were now engaged in a battle both to their front and their flanks.

12 soldiers stood in formation on the hill above the valley where the Carthaginians and Odrysians did battle, all armored in the style of Hoplites. The end of their spears rested against the ground, while the other tip stood high in the air above their heads. This battle had been coming for years, as both the Odrysians and Carthaginians knew. The Aegean people would never accept a Carthaginian ruler, and the Odrysians had simply been waiting for support in their bid.

Despite the seemingly unfortunate situation for the Odrysians at the present, an Odrysian victory was much more of a reality then the Carthigians believed. Thousands more soldiers lied in wait for the Carthaginians to be drawn into their trap. Even many Spartans, their people being divided between support for their current lords, the Carthaginians and their supposed liberator, the Odrysians, stood with them in wait.

But of course, the woman standing in the middle of that formation of twelve atop the mountain knew how the battle would end. She knew how the battle after that would end. She knew how the war would end. Her ability was one that she would be killed for if it was known. Or at least, they would try to kill her.

Relicuum I
Early Summer, 2046 AD

"A single butterfly in the wrong time can change the course of history. Even if it dies almost immediately after it's appearance in a different time, that butterfly can completely change everything that has ever happened in history as we know it. Imagine sending people back, if a butterfly can change everything. What could a person change?"

Aiden Braun had said those words many times to investors. More then he could count, in fact. But now he wasn't saying those words, as there were no need for words at all right now. He gazed at the massive machine in front of him, one that had been the source of a massive amount of work for nearly three years. But now it was done. The Tempus Rota was constructed.

Aiden Braun's good friend, Luke Tempest, was standing next to him. In a matter of a few short months, he would be sent back in time. But there were a lot of things to be decided on before then. When would he go to? Would he be allowed to go there? Would the project be shut down? And in short, why?

The Moral dispute had already been set aside during the first months. The Omega Event had provided a completely understandable reason for the project. Not only would time-travelling exploits not effect this world, as it had been proven that time travelling would create a point of diversion that would create an alternate timeline not affecting their own, but they would also be able to study history, and maybe eventually send people to talk to some of the greatest minds in history, in an effort to stop the Omega Event.

Or maybe they would be able to create a world in which the Omega Event never occurred, a world in which the instantaneous death of two billion people never happened. With all the talk about avoiding or stopping the Omega Event, it was ironic that the Butterfly Project had been successful because of the particles created by the Omega Event.

"Have you learned anything about when I'm going to get sent back to?" asked Luke.

"No, but as soon as I found out anything you will be the first to know. " answered Aiden.

Luke nodded. He was very determined when it came to the Butterfly Project. He wanted to stop the Omega Event, no matter what it took. "Do you think it will work?"

Aiden gave that question a bit of thought before answering. They couldn't exactly run tests on the machine, so it was all very questionable. If it didn't work though, Luke would more then like die. "I hope so."

The two friends exchanged solemn glances. Three years had passed, and yet their work was just beginning.

Chapter I
Northumbrian Ambition
1066 AD - 1076 AD

PAY-Sutton-Hoo-helmet.jpg

Recovered Helmet of Morcar the Fierce, currently held in Leoshire Public Museum

England had undergone a massive change. William the Usurper and his Norman allies had taken the throne of England, and enforced change on England. Most of the nobility in Southern England were replaced with Franks, while patriotism still stirred in the hearts of the natives. Morcar the Fierce and Edwin the Bold were both concentrated sources of much Saxon patriotism, and were themselves resistant to the new Norman rule in England.

Despite this, Morcar took precaution when it came to open resistance against William the Usurper, as he knew that despite the predominantly Anti-Norman views of the English population, King William had been smart in replacing most of the Southern English Aristocracy. He was also allied with King Phillipe of France. Morcar often counseled caution to his elder brother Edwin, who had an intense desire to rebel against the new Norman regime.

However, there were many years separating King William's coronation and the restoration of an Anglo-Saxon England, and as this is a book not centering on the disputes between Normans and Anglo-Saxons of England, but on the entirety of English history in all it's magnificence. However, we will primarily follow Morcar the Fierce, as it is his lineage, the Leofricsons, who would change England.

In Mid-January, Duke Morcar Leofricson of Northumbreland was married to Margaret Atheling, a 22-year old woman from the Court of King Malcolm of Scotland. The intent of the marriage was both to improve relations with the King of Scotland (in case Scottish aid would be needed in a future conflict), as well as to acquire the well known skills of espionage that Margaret was known to have.

It was naught but five months before Margaret and Morcar were informed that they would have a child within several months. Morcar and Margaret were both known to have been rejoiced by this news, and this began a loving relation between the two.

A daughter named Wulfthryth was born to Morcar and Margaret in March of 1068, and only two months later Margaret was announced to be pregnant yet again. Upon the topic of the birth of Wulthryth, Morcar wrote this in one of his journals, of which he held multiple;

" My brother Edwin has spoken many times about the joys of having children. While I previously viewed children simply as the duty of a man and wife to further their line, I now see what my brother spoke off. When I look into the eyes of my first child, I am filled with joy. A joy I wish I could bottle up and preserve for the dark days of war. "

And war did soon follow, as Morcar laid claim to the title Count of Cumberland and declared war upon the Duke of Galloway, believing Cumberland to be a natural extension of the Duchy of Northumbreland, in July. Morcar invaded with a personally lead force of a little under 3,000 men. Estimates range between 2,400 men and 2,800 men, although historical accounts indicate more towards 2,600.

In August, Morcar was able to secure a claim upon the title of King of England. While he already had a claim on the title in the eyes of his people, Morcar now had a Pope-recognized claim. This an even more intense strain on relations between Morcar and William, but neither sought an all-out war.

Later in the month, Morcar and his army arrived in Cumberland, and defeated the 200 men guarding the province. Maldred of Atholl, Duke of Galloway, arrived in early September with an army of four-hundred soldiers, who were quickly defeated by Morcar.

Back in Northumbreland, farming techniques saw a improvement in early November. However, this was soon overshadowed by the arrival of William Bruce, Marshal of England, and Gospatrick, Count of Berwick, in Cumberland. A battle was commenced between the two armies, but the battle ended within seven days.

Aethelwin of York, the Spy Master of Northumbreland, died during the Battle of Cumberland. He had accompanied Morcar, along with much of the Northumbrian Court. However, his death was not in vain, as Cumberland was occupied and was integrated into Northumbreland. Morcar arrived back in Court in late November, dismissing his assembled army and exiting the war by making peace with King Malcolm. He also assigned Margaret as the new Spy Master of Northumbreland, while granting the title Count of Cumberland to Oswald de Cherlton, a Saxon in his court, as a vassal.

With the withdrawal of Duchy of Northumbreland and Morcar's armies from the War of Cumberland, most of King William and King Phillipe's armies were left laying siege to Scottish territories. As can be proved by several of Morcar's personal journals, he disputed with himself over whether the time was right to strike against William the Usurper and his Frankish allies. However, Morcar decided against it, believing that he could not take his armies south to campaign while William's armies were right above his Duchy.

In February, Margaret gives birth to Eadwine Leofricson, another daughter for Morcar. Morcar did not interact with his second daughter as much as he did his first, and most of Eadwine's early life was spent living with Monks to develop a religious education. Wulfthryth, however, was given an education by a variety of local nobles, until she gained the position of Countess.

By July, Margaret and Morcar were expecting yet another child. This would be their first son, named Thored, who was born in April of 1070. By May, Scotland had made peace with it's enemies, and before the month was over Margaret and Morcar were expecting their fourth and final child. Agatha was born in March of 1071 AD, and would be the final child the two had.

In October, Duke Morcar gave the title of Countess of Westmorland to his daughter Wulfthryth, who had still not reached majority yet. In November, Morcar and Margaret were informed they would be having a fifth child, but this was not to be. Margaret died in labor in July of 1072 AD, and the child died as well. Morcar experienced a period of depression, but recovered within a few months. Morcar remarried again in October, this time to Anabella Bruce, Spy Master of the County of Berwick, with the permission of Gospatrick of Atholl, Count of Berwick. This marriage was purely a political one, and Anebella was assigned as Spy Master of Northumbreland.

While the previous years had been quiet and peaceful both for England and Northumbreland, save for the death of Margaret, things were about to become much more violent. This begun in February of 1073, when Oswald de Cherlton, Count of Cumberland, died and was replaced by Burgred de Cherlton, his brother. In May, Morcar claimed the title of Count of the Isle of Man, and declares war on the Count of the Isle of Man, Amalgein Ui Mordha.

1393081.jpg

Morcar and Edwin plan their upcoming Battle

Morcar did not arrive with his army on the Isle of Man until September, where Edwin, Morcar's brother and Duke of Lancaster, was already present. The two then defeated the army of around 600 Irishmen present, before taking the Isle of Man and integrating it into his Duchy in the beginning of the year 1074.

Duke Morcar then gave the County to his daughter Wulfthryth, before returning to Northumbreland. In April, Morcar decided to formalize Eadwine's ecclesiastical education, and letting his daughter Agatha be raised by servants and nannies. In October, Siege Engines became much more refined in Northumbreland, and this inspired Morcar, now known as Morcar the Fierce, to an army to Dublin to end the war more officially, having already accomplished his goal but still being at war with the Duchy of Leinster.

Morcar the Fierce and his army arrives in Dublin in April, and begin the siege of Dublin. The territory comes under Morcar's control by September, and he marches south to Laigin along with William Bruce. The War of the Isle of Man ends officially on the 14th of January, 1076 AD.

By now, Duke Morcar is known as a fierce and proud ruler, but by this point he was still no closer to driving out the Franks. Only time would tell if he would accomplish his goals before his death.

Quorum Praeteritum I
Early Winter, 1068 AD
"Are the horses ready?"

"Keep your weapons sharp!"

"I don't know if I can do this! I'm a farmer!"

"Practice your formations!"

"How many shields have we got?"

These were the shouts that Morcar Leofricson heard all around him as he observed the camp from his horse. William Bruce had arrived two days ago, and had sent out cavalry to antagonize Count Gospatrick until the two armies could flank him. Morcar, Aethelwin, and William of Durham were all sitting upon their steeds, riding threw the camp to both improve morale and to make sure everything as going smoothly. In only a few short days, they would all be charging into battle against the Scots, some of the bravest warriors in the Isles.

"Where will the Saxon Guard be during the battle?" asked William of Durham. William had always been a bit of an outsider, being the only Frank in an otherwise Saxon Court, but was especially more so of one due to the cultural feud raging in England now, with the new Norman King.

"That depends on what formation they assume, but they will surely be in the thick of things." answered Morcar.

Aethelwin was silent. For the past day he had been in deep thought, which was odd as he usually loved to talk. Although, most of his talking was games, as Morcar had learned. The pair had developed a friendship during the battle against Maldred and his men, but even without that, Morcar could've told that something was wrong.

Morcar thought for a moment, and then decided how he would deal with the situation. "William, take a patrol and try and learn the terrain of where we plan to ambush Gospatrick."

The Marshal nodded, seemingly pleased that he finally had an actual task. "Right away, m'lord." And with that, William took off riding, calling for a group of men to join him. Morcar looked at Aethelwin and raised a slight eyebrow. "Aethelwin, dismount and meet me in my tent."

Aethelwin looked up, a bit startled if one asked the Duke, and nodded. Aethelwin entered Morcar's tent several minutes later, where Morcar sat sipping from a silver cup. "Aethelwin, where's your head at?" asked Morcar.

Aethelwin shot Morcar a confused look as he sat down. "What do you mean, m'lord?"

Morcar sighed. "For the past day, you've been in quite a deep thought. Tell me why this is."

It was the Spy Master's turn to sigh, and he did. "It's just, I saw something very strange the other day, and I wonder if it was a sign from God." said Aethelwin, before pausing.

"Please, do continue."

"Well, while I was checking the chain we set up, a butterfly appeared, but not like any butterfly I've ever seen. But nearly as soon as I saw it, it disappeared, but then it reappeared a few feet away. And when I looked up at the hill, there was a man there to. I couldn't make out anything but his silhouette, but he seemed to flicker in and out of existence as well. I've been entranced in deep thought ever since, trying to think of why God might send this Flickering Man and the Butterfly to me."

Morcar scratched his chin. Now he himself was deep in thought, both confused and astonished. "Please tell me if this Flickering Man appears to you again, or if anybody sees an event like the one you have witnessed. But there is surely no way we can lose, is there?"

Aethelwin sighed. "The Bible warns us against Pride."

The Duke nodded. "Indeed it does..."

Quorum Praeteritum II
Early Winter, 1068 AD

Morcar watched as the Scottish Calvary charged towards his position. Or rather, his direction. The Scots had no idea that Morcar and his Saxon Guard were hidden, lying in wait for them to charge into the Chain trap William Bruce had recommended that they set up. It had been a smart idea, albeit one that Morcar had originally thought far-fetched. Right now, though, he didn't have the luxury of decision.

As the Scottish Calvary came within about 20 feet of the chain trap, their intent being to circle around and flank William Bruce, Morcar shouted the order. A 100-foot long chain was suddenly 5 feet in the air, and there were nothing the Scots could do to stop themselves from charging straight into. As Scots were thrown from their horses, Morcar let out a battlecry, and the Saxon Guard charged forward.

Within moments, Morcar was on top of a Scotsman, pulling his sword out of the man's skull. All around him, Scots scrambled to their feet as crazed Saxon Warriors piled on top of them with axes and a taste for blood. But this was only one part of the battle, as all around the huge valley soldiers fought and died for their leaders.

The Duke raised his shield as a spear was thrust threw the air towards him. The spear bounced off of his shield, and he then knocked it aside, striking the spear from an angle with his shield as he came in for the kill with his sword. Within seconds, his blade was covered with more blood as it ripped through the throat of a Scottish soldier.

Threw the frenzy, Morcar could see more Scots rushing to this side of the fight to reinforce and possibly save their cavalry. This thought was pushed aside, however, as Morcar's immediate attention was diverted to an incoming axe. Morcar brought his armored head down, and the one-handed axe collided with the top of his helmet, sending it flying off but avoiding any serious damage to Morcar's skull. The Duke then jumped forward, tackling the foe in front of him, before amputating the man's hand.

The Duke stumbled to his feet and thrust forward his sword into the chest of his foe. As Morcar withdrew his blade, blood spewed everywhere as the body fell to the ground. He then yelled for a retreat back to the treeline as dozens of undazed, unconfused Scottish soldiers joined their part of the overall fight. But as the Scots chased the Saxon Guard back to the woods, a little over a hundred armored Knights appeared in the treeline, charging the Scots. Morcar didn't like William Bruce for his loyalties and ethnicity, but he loved him for his strategic brilliance.

The Duke turned around and watched as the Knights scattered the Scots, and then he and his Saxon Guard charged back into the fray. Victory was certain, no matter what the Flickering Man suggested.

Quorum Praeteritum III
Early Winter, 1068 AD
Duke Morcar looked over the coffin of his friend, Aethelwin. But what concerned Morcar at that moment was not that his friend was dead, no...it was the hole burned through his friend's skull.

William of Durham and Oswald de Cherlton were the only other two in the room. Oswald was a Knight in Morcar's service, and the man who had found Aethelwin. Oswald had found Aethelwin while hunting Scottish survivors of the battle the day before. They would say Aethelwin had died in battle, but it was a lie. Whatever had killed Aethelwin had not used a weapon known to them.

"The Flickering Man did this. It had to be." said Duke Morcar.

Oswald and William both exchanged curious glances, and Morcar remembered they had not heard of Aethelwin's encounter. "While we were preparing for the battle, Aethelwin saw butterfly. But it wasn't like any butterfly he'd ever seen, and he said it appeared and disappeared many times. He said that he then saw a man on the hill above him doing the same. Appearing and disappearing, seemingly at will, and at different locations each time, within a few feet of each other, mind you. He called it the Flickering Man. He thought it was an Angel. Now I believe it to be a Demon."

There was silence in the room for a minute, before William of Durham spoke up. "We tell the men he died in battle. He doesn't have a much of a family, so we won't need to do very much explaining. With all the people that died, it will be believed."

Morcar nodded in agreement. "How many other men were with him, Oswald?"

"Five, m'lord."

"And they all have the same marks?"

"Yes. A hole burned through the forehead, and a similar hole in the back of their skull."

The Duke sighed and looked as Oswald. "I need someone to help make sure this stays covered up, even after we leave Cumberland."

Oswald looked at the Duke and raised an eyebrow. "How so?"

"When we return to the Northumbrian Court, I'll name you Count of Cumberland, as my vassal. From there, I want you to make sure that no one learns of the truth of these events."

The man's face turned to one of delight. "Thank you, m'lord. I will do my best to serve you."

Morcar nodded, and looked at the body. "Now, let's deal with the immediate circumstances we find ourselves in."