• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I: Ex Sabrinae

ManderTea

Sergeant
100 Badges
Mar 17, 2015
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • March of the Eagles
  • Sengoku
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
Historia Brittonum
I
Ex Sabrinae

This AAR is a revival of my abandoned 1.0 campaign Saga’r Prydeinwyr. I had a lot of fun with that but ultimately work pressures and the nature of the game at that stage caused me to lose interest. I've found 2.0 far more enjoyable, so I thought I'd try another run.

Until the 3rd century BC, there was little to note about the Brittonic tribesmen known today as the Dobunnes. They were a middling power inhabiting the lower reaches of the Severn basin, living mainly off subsistence farming. They had no reputation as warmongers; indeed they were considered by early scholars to have been peaceable by comparison with their neighbours.

2021_03_10_1.png

The tribes of pre-Roman Britain. Dobunnia is highlighted with a red circle.

What is known with certainty is that the ascendance of a new chieftain, a woman of the Divicus clan known as Cunovinna, new policies were instituted that transformed the tribe into a martial society, one of the most militaristic in Britain. This was characterised by two major reforms, which remained in place at the advent of history on those isles. Firstly, it was decreed that soldiers and men-at-arms were entitled to certain privileges not afforded to ordinary members of society. In return they were expected to fight with enthusiasm for the glory of their clans. Secondly, the generals of the tribe (who, by tradition, were the heads of their clans) were instructed to report directly to the tribal government in times of war, and were offered deference not just as clan chiefs but as military leaders.

2021_03_10_2.png

2021_03_10_3.png

The Dobunnian Model, the basis of tribal government beginning during Cunovinna's rule.

The new chieftain also ordered the importation of goods essential to the effective waging of war; woad, which warriors would paint themselves with to strike fear into the hearts of their enemies, and leather with which they bound shields to protect themselves from spears, swords, and slingers.

2021_03_10_4.png

2021_03_10_5.png

New trade routes were established with the Picts to the north and Gauls to the south.

Finally, the tribe’s metalworkers were ordered to issue coins, stamped with images emblematic of the tribe, with which soldiers were to be paid. A significant consequence of this reform was increased contact with the skilled metallurgists of mainland Europe, chiefly at this stage the Massiliotes of southern Gaul. The ideas and customs brought back to Britain would, in time, lead to the foundation of more formal structures of government.

2021_03_10_7.png

The foundation of a Dobunnian currency was the first step on a long road to civilisation.

These reforms were initially met with confusion, with no clear objective driving them. The chieftain's intentions were illuminated by a later speech she made, known as the Proclamation of Stonehenge. Cunovinna had summoned the clans of Dobunnia to the monument, where she led them in a prayer and offering to the goddess Coventina. A delegation from the Coritani to the northeast also joined them, and the two tribes agreed terms of alliance that evening.

2021_03_10_6.png

2021_03_10_9.png

With the Blessing of Coventina, the Coritanian alliance was called unshakeable.

After the ceremony had ended, she told the assembled crowd that the gods had come to her in a dream, telling her that the tribe was fated to unite Britain under its rule. She relayed to them a rousing speech proclaiming the tribe’s greatness, and convened there with the heads of the clans. The precise exchange that followed is not known, but by the end of the meeting the tribe had declared their intention to make war with the Silures.

2021_03_10_8.png

2021_03_10_10.png

As their plans to rule Britain begin to crystallise, the Dobunni plot war against their neighbours.

The proclamation was met with controversy, attracting denunciations from Cunovinna’s political rivals. These, she tolerated, at one stage taking significant damage to her reputation to prevent open rebellion from a rival clan. She was less tolerant when the tribe’s druids forbade her from participating in rituals and ceremonies. She answered them by attending the next prayer in the company of armed retainers.

2021_03_10_14.png

2021_03_10_15.png

Political rivals were, ultimately, no threat to Cunovinna's legitimacy. The druids, however, could be.

Only a month after Stonehenge, Dobunnian warriors were marching west. Their destination was Burrium, Siluria's capital on the banks of the Usk. Siluria was smaller and weaker than Dobunnia, with no allies. The leaders of the tribe saw no reason, then, to involve the Coritani who would have demanded compensation.

2021_03_10_12.png

Siluria's sole advantage was a handful of seaworthy vessels. The Dobunni marched to the harbour at Glevum, preventing the Siluri from boarding their ships.

Finding a consensus approach to uniting Britain would take far longer than initially thought. In that time, Cunovinna tragically lost her life during childbirth, and the tribe chose the Venutian clan chief Inammicus to succeed her. To secure his legitimacy as the new chieftain, he married one of Cunovinna’s cousins, Vinoma. This was met with hositility by Cunovinna’s widower Bolgios, who had contended at the time of her death that he should have succeeded her. The tribe was forced to concede a sizeable dowry to appease him.

2021_03_10_16.png

2021_03_10_17.png

Though Bolgios was no friend of the Venuti, there was no recorded hostility between Vinoma and Inammicus.

A year after debate began, the clans announced that Britain would be united by military strength and through conquest. At the same time, the Silurian capital fell under siege and terms of peace were negotiated. The clan leadership were compelled into exile, with their men told to swear allegiance to one of the Dobunnian clans. Political leaders not belonging to the noble class were executed at the gates of Burrium.

2021_03_10_18.png

2021_03_10_21.png

2021_03_10_20.png

The political establishment of the Siluri was dismantled, never to be reinstated.

To facilitate an agreement in the peace negotiations, Inammicus had made a strategic decision that shaped the future of Dobunnian politics; although only true-blooded Dobunni would be allowed to style themselves as nobility, all subjects of the tribe would enjoy the same rights and privileges of citizenship. He made good on his word as soon as peace was secured, and to make his intent clear he also instructed the clans that Silures were to be treated with dignity, prohibiting their torture or slaughter under any circumstances.

2021_03_10_22.png

The tribe decreed that the Demeti and Dobunni were one and the same.

The Silurian war was significant in that it was the first war waged by the Dobunni since their unification. A great deal of the political division over the tribe's new direction had its origins in widespread trepidation at the thought of losing a war. The tribe's leaders had now demonstrated that they could wage war, and they could win. This legitimised the tribe's ambitions in the eyes of their people.

2021_03_10_11.png

Dobunnia on 14th November, 451 AUC (304 BC)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
There seems to have been a real revival in Imperator AARs in the last few weeks. I’ll try to follow and keep up to date, even if I don’t comment every time (AAR writing and reading pressures ;) ). As someone who hasn’t actually got the game yet, but intends to.

Last edited:
I too will hop on board as someone yet to buy the game. Good luck, and onwards the Britons!

• 1Like
Reactions:
There seems to have been a real revival in Imperator AARs in the last few weeks. I’ll try to follow and keep up to date, even if I don’t comment every time (AAR writing and reading pressures ;) ). As someone hasn’t actually got the game yet, but intends to.
Imperator AARs are getting more common, aren't they? Maybe my rant in the YeAAR in Review worked?

That being said, subscribed!

Let's see Britannia united...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Straight into the action with the first update! The idea of a united pre-Roman Britain is tantalising. Such a strong starting point for a wild alt-history. How far will the Dobunni go towards achieving the dream?

I'm looking forward to seeing where things go from here.

This does seem interesting and it is always good to see some more life being breathed into Imperator corner.

The contrast between these two events did give me a dark chuckle
At the same time, the Silurian capital fell under siege and terms of peace were negotiated. The clan leadership were compelled into exile, with their men told to swear allegiance to one of the Dobunnian clans. Political leaders not belonging to the noble class were executed at the gates of Burrium.
<snip Pictures>​
To facilitate an agreement in the peace negotiations, Inammicus had made a strategic decision that shaped the future of Dobunnian politics; although only true-blooded Dobunni would be allowed to style themselves as nobility, all subjects of the tribe would enjoy the same rights and privileges of citizenship. He made good on his word as soon as peace was secured, and to make his intent clear he also instructed the clans that Silures were to be treated with dignity, prohibiting their torture or slaughter under any circumstances.
I'm picturing Inammicus standing on a pile of Silurian corpses, a few more being killed in the background behind him, promising that all will have the same rights and there will be no slaughters. He turns to his colleague, who is busy murdering another Silurian non-noble leader, and asks why the Silurian crowd are not reacing well to this generous speech. His colleague shrugs and moves onto the next victim.

Inammicus may need to work on matching his words to his actions. ;)