• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey zij,

Would you mind helping me a little with understanding the way you guys implemented Improved Genetics?

I used that mod in the past and was able to add a few of my own traits into the mod even with my limited understanding. I'm now trying to do the same with updated HIP. However, it looks like there were a few changes when the mod was incorporated.

As an example, if I wanted to add another tier for attractiveness. Other than the trait file itself, I think I need to do the following. Does this seem correct?

Create a new emf_dna_set_flags entry in emf_dna_effects.txt

Inject the new trait's ID into all of the lists with attractiveness traits in emf_dna.txt

Inject the new trait's ID into the opposite lists in the appropriate trait files.

Add appropriate sections in emf_notify_codegen_effects.txt? This one is actually beyond my understanding, but I may be able to copy and replace the necessary sections. However, I'm not even sure what the sections are doing.

Thanks so much in advance for any guidance.

Also, thank you guys so much for the continued improvements on the already great mod.

You should re-download, regardless, IMHO. It's too easy to accidentally reinstall with Arumba and Internal Tab Shortcuts enabled since it's default, and that could lead to crashes instead of just a graphical glitch with the game rules window. Choice is yours, of course, but I cannot generally recommend that anyone who downloaded the borked version does not re-download.

Thanks for the heads-up on the mirror link. I've fixed it now.
Yeah, I will grab the apha and reinstall just to be sure and solve the council but etc
Thanks again!

HIP's Furry7 release is here! Part compatibility patch for CKII v3.1.1, which dropped yesterday, and part grab bag of new goodies, changes, and fixes: you're sure to enjoy this release.

• Improved Genetics:
      • Integrated and extended the excellent mod Improved Genetics 2.03 for HIP by @Crimson9
      • Almost all congenital traits are no longer managed by the base game's overly simplistic congenital trait assignment system. Instead, characters will carry and inherit DNA which determines how their genotypes express into phenotypes. Two models of phenotype expression are used: standard Mendelian inheritance for traits that are not on a spectrum (e.g., you are either born with Dwarfism or not) and Polygenic inheritance for traits that are on a spectrum (e.g., Intelligence).

While working on converting my personal mod traits over to the new system, I noticed most of the traits in 107~hip_congenital_traits.txt still use birth = and inherit_chance =. Any particular reason these were left using the old system? Also, I assume this will not have any major effect on the other system and will not throw the hereditary system out of balance?

Thanks again so much for all the work you guys are putting in.

While working on converting my personal mod traits over to the new system, I noticed most of the traits in 107~hip_congenital_traits.txt still use birth = and inherit_chance =. Any particular reason these were left using the old system? Also, I assume this will not have any major effect on the other system and will not throw the hereditary system out of balance?

Thanks again so much for all the work you guys are putting in.

Some traits don't really fit into either the Mendelian or Polygenic inheritance model. I judged that it was unecessary to model these traits and left them with the simple Vanilla system, and I suppose Ziji agreed.

Each trait is independent, so it won't throw anything out of balance.

Thinking about the combination of traits, its difficult to imagine a harelip, for instance, as fair...

Some traits don't really fit into either the Mendelian or Polygenic inheritance model. I judged that it was unecessary to model these traits and left them with the simple Vanilla system, and I suppose Ziji agreed.

Each trait is independent, so it won't throw anything out of balance.

Thanks so much for the response

My game crashes don t know why?
Black magic obviously :D
More seriously, with zero info, how do you expect us to find the reason ?

Sorry you're right. I have already found the problem. I had the wrong version of CK2 (beta).
Glad it was fixed anyway ;)

Hey! I tried installing the mod today and every time I tried to open the HIP application, the command prompt would appear for only a moment and then dissapears. Can anybody help me?

Just as a QoL thing, I'd recommend the following changes to game rules.
  1. "EMF: No Extra CB Cooldowns" (Default: OFF) -> "EMF CB Cooldowns" (Default: ON)
  2. "Non-Aggression Pact Faction Block" (Default: ON) -> "Non-Aggression Pact Faction Joinder" (Default: OFF)
  3. "Court Size Limit" (Default: ON) -> "Court Size" (Default: Limited)
I think the Jade Dragon CB ones could be better phrased, too, but I have nothing to offer, there. (1), here, is the only rule that really drives me crazy: please change it?