• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All this talk about the Dark Ages. Where was the Glory in this time?

Swords though have been around for a long time though might as well be a napoleon era game

That's why the Napoleonic era first came to mind for me, and why it's still there. I kind of doubt that it's actually what's being done here, but it still fits.

I would LOVE an ancient grand strategy game with the whole world.

Creating your own empire from some tiny city state and spreading more and more.

or a Celtic empire that goes on to invade half of the world through conquest (unlike through the breeding like rabbits that us Irish are guilty of ;) )

Except that Paradox earlier stated that Alexander is potential EU:Rome expansion material.

Dark Ages is extremely interesting! Are you trying to suggest that shaping world religions, forging a unique culture or defeating the Romans is NOT cool?

Nothing that hasn't been done to death in other Pdox titles. A Paradox Grand Strategy series has to have unique elements to it. A Dark Ages game would need something unique to differentiate it from EU. You know, like CK has characters, Vicky has POPs, HoI has World Warfare etc. If it's just EU3 with different countries and a smaller map, a Dark Ages game is pretty pointless.

Nothing that hasn't been done to death in other Pdox titles. A Paradox Grand Strategy series has to have unique elements to it. A Dark Ages game would need something unique to differentiate it from EU. You know, like CK has characters, Vicky has POPs, HoI has World Warfare etc. If it's just EU3 with different countries and a smaller map, a Dark Ages game is pretty pointless.

A dark ages game has a lot to offer as this was a developing point for most of middle europe nation states. Culture, languages and even religion could be much more different with slight alterations, Maybe there will be no unified france or germany. Maybe spain would be a part of the muslim community.

Many interesting things can happen

Glory with swords in a completely new time frame. Glory...swords...new game. What is practically untouched by Paradox as a central theme? China, Ancient Americas, and India. Relatively untouched? Ancient Greece, Mongols, modern day Haiti? I'm so confused...can I haz another hint?

It seems like most people here seem to forget that the Middle East exists and that history did not begin with Greece and Rome, when they talk about possible periods for the game to take place. I'm still hoping for a dawn-of-civilization thing with Egypt, Sumeria, Babylon, Phonecia, Mycenae, and the like. Age of Empires period. Also it could end up being hella long if you're the type that likes long campaigns: Recognizable Egyptian culture goes back more than 1300 years before the Great Pyramid, the great Pharaoh Ramses II lived 1300 years after the Great Pyramid was built, and it would be 1300 years from his birth to the end of ancient Egypt. That's a 4000 year Grand Campaign. Realistically though something like 1500 to 1000 BC is more likely. You could do 800-300 as well if you wanted to focus on Greece and Persia instead of Egypt and Mesopotamia.

Divine Wind inspired Paradox; this is going to be an all-japan historical grand strategy, focusing on the sengoku jidai.
;)

Yeah, and it's going to have tactical battles, and branch out into a series of increasingly mediocre titles the newest of which is a remake of the original, prompting people who never played that to claim the series has gone off course.
Oh, no, hey, that was another company.

So, Paradox has licensed Game of Thrones? :p (Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?)

Okay guys.

This is what we know:

The game's project title is called Project Glory.

It'll be a whole new game.

There are swords.

Since there are weapons, we can take it to mean there will be battles.

Therefore...we will get a grand strategy game....from the point of view of the rebels we all love to smash!

Another silly possibility that probably will never happen:

Do you remember these old EA football managers where you could play your matches in that year's FIFA if you had it? You'd momentarily leave the manager, FIFA would load, you'd play the match and the result would be reported back to the manager when you finished. Now imagine a new Paradox RTS similar to Medieval Total War, which emulates medieval battles, has a few campaigns and/or historical battles to make it a decent stand alone game... and you could use it to play battles from your CK2 campaign. CK2 would detect the game if you have it installed and whenever a battle ensues, you'd get a tooltip that would give you the chance to play it using the engine from this hypotetical game. Of course this would only work in single player (but you might have an option to save particularily interesting battles from a MP campaign to later replay them in the tactical game).

Then again, I can see plenty of people bashing Paradox for selling what should have been just one game in two parts if they did something like that...

It seems like most people here seem to forget that the Middle East exists and that history did not begin with Greece and Rome, when they talk about possible periods for the game to take place..

If we are listing places, everybody forgets: what is about India? Ashoka? Or _North_ American pre-columbus natives (ok, they had no swords ...)? Africa's pre-Vic2 countries?

No regional map games, whole world (or almost) or nothing!

Great, swords, Paradox had eliminated 2 century in the history of mankind for the likely scenario.

A hint per day? The start is day!

I'm now almost certain that this is about Dark Age, and that maybe it will be possible to convert in the end of a game to CK2. The only era left could be the Roman Empire, which is not "boring", but when the dream of all gamers (conquering the known world) would already be here, except for factions and civil wars.

There will be swords.

Ooh, I think I know!
It'll be a Rock, Paper, Scissors game with Swords that will
be called: Rock, Paper, Scissors and Swords

I'm a genius genius! (this is a legitimate guess, I'm not kidding)

/Sarcasm off

More seriously, I guess that since Swords are made of some kind of metal.
And since metal is extracted from the Earth by means of mining.
It has to be some kind of Mine-Layer or Trench-Warfare game. :D

Last edited:
I got to go with a dark ages game (400 - 1066). It fills the gap between all their other games and is a turbulent enough period where anything could have happened, which seems to fit PI sandbox approach with their more recent releases. I'd love to see an ancient greece game where you act as the dictator and attempt to bring glory to your city state. The diplomatic options would be quite intersting. Either way it just has to be an historical grand strategy. I mean, has their core team ever produced anything else?

A dark ages game has a lot to offer as this was a developing point for most of middle europe nation states. Culture, languages and even religion could be much more different with slight alterations, Maybe there will be no unified france or germany. Maybe spain would be a part of the muslim community.

Many interesting things can happen

Still no interesting new mechanic. It's EU3 with different countrynames, cultures and religions.

I think an Imperial Roman game is the most likely game as Glory is a concept that was essential to Rome, the Glory of Rome was something that most Romans had respect for. I also like the Idea of an Asian focused game, a Sengoku or warring states China would be nice but with RTK and Shogun total war, the competition is fierce.

Status
Not open for further replies.