Highways were preventing skilled employees from taking industrial jobs.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Otis85402

Sergeant
10 Badges
Dec 21, 2023
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
I spent all weekend messing around with various configurations in my test city and could not for the life of me figure out why nobody wanted to work in my resource extraction industry. I would get only 'uneducated' people. I figured the rich elites were turning their noses up at such menial work but these businesses extracting Oil, Ore, Stone, and others all require some number of poorly educated, regular educated, and higher educated employees. All numbers at zero in those categories. I thought maybe the commute was too far, because I put these extractors on the outskirts of town. But no, that wasn't it either.

It was because I had the gall to use two lane highways to connect these together. I figured - I have zero need to zone anything way out in the boonies. Why would I use a small road or medium road when a two or four lane bidirectional highway will be much faster for trucks headed back towards resource processors in my adjacent industrial district. I ran electricity and plumbing out to these extractors since highways don't carry those utilities.

The literal moment I converted these highways to roads suddenly a rush of people came to these jobs. All of the sudden highly educated people suddenly realized they might like to take up oil mining. And the ONLY CHANGE I made was just downgrading the roads from highways to regular roads.

This is exasperating. It makes no sense as a game mechanic. When people talk about the simulation being 'broken' this is what they mean. I shouldn't have to spend an entire weekend figuring this out, but my loss is your gain. To anyone reading, be careful about how you deploy highways because they will do weird things to your city.

Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions:
Oh yeah, that's another obscure bug. Haven't bothered reporting it because next to "your city self destructs", it just seems kind of pointless.

Fastest way to test and confirm this is with service buildings. Put any stretch of highway between your residential and a service building like a subway train depot or cargo hub (without public transit), and watch it struggle to pick up enough employees. Add a 5 km pedestrian path? Presto, instantly full. Change them to a road instead? Same thing.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Hm, no, too good to be true for me. It actually turns out that I do already have roads, for example in these two cases:

2024-02-12 19_12_54-Cities_ Skylines II.png

2024-02-12 19_13_38-Cities_ Skylines II.png

Still, no educated employees. But maybe for me it's a different (additional) issue.
I would recommend that you raise it as a bug, in any case.

Reactions:
I wonder if it’s more they don’t own cars so they can’t walk to work with a highway. But when you make a road with sidewalks they can walk there. Have you tried with mass transit going to it with a highway?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I wonder if it’s more they don’t own cars so they can’t walk to work with a highway. But when you make a road with sidewalks they can walk there. Have you tried with mass transit going to it with a highway?
I just spent in my city. @gpaolo79
I put a transport line and the problem of missing workers is over.

• 1Like
Reactions:
What I wound up doing, since I had to convert these from highways to regular roads, was just redesign the whole area by extending my tram loops into the resource extractors. I didn't start off this way because I had no idea that my simple choice to have it be connected by a highway seemed reasonable at the time, and other attempts I'd made - like dropping small parking lots near every business - didn't do anything either.

I am just enough of a glutton for punishment that I'll keep iterating until I find something that works. The "convert highway to regular road" was kind of a hail-may, I just realized it was something I hadn't tried yet and figured "why not".

I feel like I'm stumbling through the dark trying to understand this game.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I would imagine that in real life if there was only a highway connecting a business/industrial sector to the outside world, and no other options to get in and out, it would limit who could work there.

This seems to actually reflect reality (aka: realistic simulation), and may not be a bug of any kind. In the cities I have lived in IRL, many of the more educated people do not own cars, and rely on public transport, so if there was only one option to get to a place of work, it would severely limit who could work there.

Reactions:
I feel like I'm stumbling through the dark trying to understand this game.

That's one of the main reasons I'm really enjoying this game. Discovery and experimentation is more fun (at least for me) than having the manual that walks you through every little aspect of how to "win". Elden Ring was like that for me : )

I would imagine that in real life if there was only a highway connecting a business/industrial sector to the outside world, and no other options to get in and out, it would limit who could work there.

This seems to actually reflect reality (aka: realistic simulation), and may not be a bug of any kind. In the cities I have lived in IRL, many of the more educated people do not own cars, and rely on public transport, so if there was only one option to get to a place of work, it would severely limit who could work there.
I suppose it might sound that way if you don't witness it for yourself, but it's completely unrealistic in practice.
Having 0 out of 40 something employees in a city of 750k because I dared to use 250 meters of highway to connect a shipping cargo hub is absolutely a bug or imbalanced correctly.

Also, by the way, it's pretty common where I live to have industry right off a highway.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Having 0 out of 40 something employees in a city of 750k because I dared to use 250 meters of highway to connect a shipping cargo hub is absolutely a bug or imbalanced correctly.

The OP didn't mention having 0 employees. This is in reference to not having enough employees of certain education levels.

You might not be wrong... but you're also not talking about the same thing as the OP : )

Also, by the way, it's pretty common where I live to have industry right off a highway.

Same with where I live. But it's worth pointing out that this is not the OP's issue here. They are specifically referencing having ONLY a highway connection to the industrial zone. Not the fact that the industrial zone is near the highway. IRL, those industrial zones have other access points besides just the highway.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I wonder what would happen if you set up a bus route on that highway... i.e. leave it how it is with no other connection besides the highway, but add in a bus route that starts where a bunch of your educated citizens live.

Now you've got my gears turning and I want to try this all out haha!

I wonder what would happen if you set up a bus route on that highway... i.e. leave it how it is with no other connection besides the highway, but add in a bus route that starts where a bunch of your educated citizens live.

Now you've got my gears turning and I want to try this all out haha!
I tried that, and it seemed to work in a remote community on an island.

• 3Like
Reactions:
II honestly think this is intended behavior introduced to the game to assuage the anti-car city crowd. Hear me out:

>Highways do not have walkable sidewalks.
>Streets do.
>Cim at X education level decides he hates cars.
>Cannot bike or walk or train to job? Refuse to accept job.

This is testable! See if a train station to a highly educated high-dense area works the same as the road after deleting the highway.

Reactions:
Because this thread, I take a look of my water treatment installation (plopped early in the city developement), far from the city only connected by a 2 way highway, and was lacking 10 employees, so I created a parallel gravel road and the 10 missing employees where filled instantly. Hum... But this doesn't happen with the dump or the recycler that were in similar situation.

• 1Like
Reactions:
II honestly think this is intended behavior introduced to the game to assuage the anti-car city crowd. Hear me out:

>Highways do not have walkable sidewalks.
>Streets do.
>Cim at X education level decides he hates cars.
>Cannot bike or walk or train to job? Refuse to accept job.

This is testable! See if a train station to a highly educated high-dense area works the same as the road after deleting the highway.
Yeah, public transit fixes it - as alluded to in my very first reply.
Just because it's consistently testable doesn't mean it makes any sense.

There are things that are annoying about the game that I'll agree probably make sense, like cars roaming around parking lots.
Don't see a reason to change it, honestly seems pretty realistic.

Trying to argue that a few dozen people are unwilling to drive across a highway to reach a job because they're too smart for that in a city of nearly a million (which is where I ran the tests for it) is so far outside the bounds of statistical probability that you can safely say it's impossible. Couple that with the fact that those same people would be far more willing to walk 10 kilometers rather than drive 500 meters, and you can safely say "it's a bug".

I understand the intent of the mechanic, but it's so over-tuned that it's a bug. Simple as.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Sorry, just out of curiosity, what's the simulation speed and which cpu do you have to run that city? I can barely go above 150k and I have to leave the computer running for hours to try to fill up the empty buildings...
Prepatch, I was at around 0.3-0.5. -- Postpatch, eh, it's unplayable. The simulation keeps getting blocked every 2-4 seconds.
I haven't determined the exact cause, but it's something to do with the resource buyer system.
As the Success rate and graph traversal goes up, the game comes to a crawl. It's bizarre.
It seems completely unrelated to traffic volume itself.

Anyway, It's a 10850k but.. my opinion is it's kind of folly to get so attached to a CPU model number. It isn't like graphics cards at all.
It has more to do with the number of cores and clock rate. It has 20 cores and it's clocked at 4.9 GHz for each one.

In either case, I'm 1015 hours played, and it was this creeping feeling that I felt like I was just pointlessly putting wear and tear on my system.
So, I've stopped for now.

edit: graph traversal, not efficiency.

Reactions:
Amusingly, I am now having the opposite problem - there are no longer any poorly educated people available in the workforce and I have industrial jobs going unfilled because of that. Guess you can't win for losing sometimes! Every city I design I intend every citizen to be educated or at least have the opportunity. I consider it a flaw in the game that you should discourage education to be able to fill any job anywhere. I always used "Industry 4.0" in CS1 for this very reason - an educated workforce is a productive workforce.

• 2Like
Reactions: