• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Episode 5
Gallic Turbo Wars
The Big Plan
The End?

This is the final update, as there are only a few more important concepts I want to expose.

These stupid people dared to declare war on Rome.
I'm not impressed. The other consul might, but not me.

GALLIC TURBO WARS : THE PLAN

We had a brainstorming session with the generals and that fellow Complexus Tacticus Forzewinus came up with this brilliant plan.
5_rome_6.jpg

We decided to opt for a direct frontal bashing instead.

GALLIC TURBO WARS : KILL THEM
Contrary to our great general (that's me) those gallic fools didn't have correct warplans and we caught their warriors sleeping. They made a lot of noise in gallic fashion and then surrendered.
Apparently the AI declared war with low maintenance, so it was a massacre :(

At that time Rome has no interest in expanding deep into Gaul so we just settled for Liguria and bring civilization there.
5_rome_tribeannex.jpg

As a civilized faction you can annex minor tribes without getting too much bb.
At about the same time Epirus becomes reasonable and gives us what what we want : all its provinces, except Epirus.

THE BIG PLAN
Now that noone bothers us anymore, we can concentrate on the big picture and unveil the BIG PLAN!
1. Get more gaulish women in northen Italy and on the west coast, for a closer base to Iberia.
2. Keep building a large navy.
3. When ready, pay a visit Carthage.

So I declare wars on tribes north and a few more around. I mostly want woods for my fleet and taxes for the upkeep.
CTF has nice plans that everyone politely ignore.
Everything is going fine and we quickly bring civilization to those hairy people.

Until everything starts to go wrong.
5_rome_42.jpg

A horde from the Arveni has just popped up in Gallia Cisapilna.
Tribes with negative stability can generate hordes in their neighbours (hording).
And wronger.
5_rome_18.jpg

Native uprising spawns a 25 units barbarian horde. If you expend too fast you'll get overhelmed.
And AAAAAAAA!!
5_rome_wrong.jpg

A nice combo of unstable tribes hording, immigration raising local revolt risks, furious tribes, natives uprising and GARisms forced me to sign white peace with some tribes and almost overhelmed me :eek:... but that was the intent to show how it can goes wrong and you have to be careful :D

THE END?
It was hard but Rome survived.
Phase 1 of the The Big Plan was completed, and phase 2 on the way thanks to the wood resources.
5_rome_56.jpg

Mmmh... This should helps me versus the Carthies...

NEWS OF THE WORLD

5_rome_news.jpg

Those newspapers were great! :D

Oh, and continue, please... ;)

Vox populi Vox Dei :D

Episode 6​
Objective: Carthage.​

PREPARING THE WAR

I keep raising troops and building ships, waiting for an opportunity to strike against the Carthaginians.
They have trouble dealing with barbarians left and right and after few years a rather nice barbarian kindgom emerge. I jump on the occasion and promptly offer Rome protection to the Gaetuli. The Gaetuli should be annoying for Carthage and will provide an excellent excuse for war.
6_rome_1.jpg

In T&E barbarians kindgom gets a booster event to help them survive, they start with more manpower and money. In vanilla they often start with 0 manpower and are basically defenseless for years.

Meanwhile I pursue the Honest Diplomacy policy and this gives me a chance to improve relations with Massilia, which I do, with the idea to ally with them. This is an indirect way to weaken Emporion, plus they might provide a nice distraction for an enemy in any upcoming war.
6_rome_3.jpg

THE CASUS BELLI
I have to wait only 2 years before Carthage decides they can't tolerate their new neighbor anymore. And gives me Casus Belli I was craving for.
6_rome_7.jpg

Carthage is almost bankrupt and has no manpower left.
I have money, a big navy and 3 Legions ready to fight in this campaign.
The situation looks favorable. But their low manpower and treasury could also mean they are fielding a large navy and a large army...
Well, there is only one way to find out, and I am confident in my preparations.

8 November 499 AVC, Rome declare war on Carthage for violating Gaetuli independance.

THE PLAN
The objectives of this war are:
- Panormus.
- Get a province in Africa as a stagging point for future wars.
The rest is bonus.

As usual, Complexus Tacticus Forzewinus came up with a plan.
6_rome_11.jpg

But this time it looked nice and was adopted as the official warplan.

CTF guess is that after the Iberian wars Carthage forces are exhausted, overextended and badly positionned. They are probably massed in Iberia and it will take them time to reach their Eastern provinces. Plus they are at war with the Gaetuli there, so they should provide a nice cover for our operations there. That's why the Eastern front was chosen as the landing zone and Legion V is tasked with grabbing provinces here.
At the same time the Second fleet will quickly drop troops on the islands and Legion VI elements will grab them. We are not really interested in them, but this will force Carthage to negociate.
The smaller Gallic fleet role is to distract Carthage fleet in Iberia by blockading two provinces there while we perform the more important manoeuvres eastward.
We don't know the size of their navy, so we will want to avoid naval engagement while all our landings are not completed. Then we will seek a decisive naval battle.

The situation and the plan looks good, Rome expect a quick victory...

NEWS FROM THE WORLD
6_news.jpg

In the next episode: Punic war!

Episode 7
Consular Address to the Citizens Of The Great Roman Community Of Free People
Operation Infinite Peace
Naval Battle!
Battle of Leptis Magna!
Naval Setback!​

CONSULAR ADDRESS TO THE CITIZENS OF THE GREAT ROMAN COMMUNITY OF FREE PEOPLE
7_1.jpg

OPERATION INFINITE PEACE
Complexus Tacticus Forzewinus plan goes in motion and it starts smoothly.
7_2.jpg

We quickly assault and take Panormus.
We land unopposed in the frontier with Egypt and are happy to see the Gaeutians doing their part too.
Our little gallic fleet blockade two Iberia provinces with ease.

NAVAL BATTLE
Carthage main fleet of 28 ships makes a sortie.
7_rome_24.jpg

I was wise to order the construction of more ships. I promptly merge our two fleets into one huge 44 ships fleet and put our best admiral in command. This is our chance to seek a decisive naval battle and gain naval superiority, but this means I'll have to delay the invasion of the Islands.
I order more ships to be build and form a secret reserve fleet in the Adriatic coast to replace the losses.
We play cat and mouse around Sicily. Knowing they are in inferiority the Carthaginists admirals decide to split their fleet and sacrifice a small fleet to let the bigger one escape. I split my fleet too and manage to catch a subfleet of 8 ships...
7_rome_34.jpg

...sinking them all for only 1 ship lost.

FURTHER OPERATIONS
Things start to happen fast in Africa.
7_rome_36.jpg

My unofficial ally fails me and settle for peace with Carthage, about a month later I finally take Corniclanum, and the Numidians send a 14k army which should arrive a month later.
In the meantime, with naval superiority assured I can finally start to dispatch Legion VI to take the islands without having to use all my ships to ensure protection.

BATTLE OF LEPTIS MAGNA
The Carthaginians supported by Numidians launch their first counter-attack in December 500, the Battle of Leptis Magna.
I have numerical advantage, but they huge cavalry superiority plus Elephants. Their commander is great and their Punic Phalanxes are very strong...
7_rome_42.jpg

...We win the battle but in Pyrrhic fashion with a horrenduous casualty rate of 40% and the double of their casualties.
The Numidian light cavalry and the African Elephants ravaged our ranks.

The progression on the eastern front isn't as fast as I expected. This means the Carthies and their Numismatians allies will soon pour troops here and I'll have to decide whether I reinforce or change objective.

NAVAL SETBACK
A few days later an admiral is transfering the Secret Reserve Fleet to Lucania but is intercepted by a marauding enemy fleet seemingly coming out of nowhere...
7_rome_46.jpg

...with annoying results.

In the next episode: Angry Carthage & Friends, Operation Dunkerkus

The consular address was a real gem. Wonderful! :rofl:

And the rest of the AAR isn't too shabby either. I hope you continue for quite some time.

One naughty little consul we have here... :D

Thanks for the comments :)
The High Priest was crucified for the Zeus reference :eek:o

Episode 8
Disaster at Sea!
Disaster at Land?
Operation Dunkerkus​

The fleet is separated in two again. The Main Fleet jump from islands to islands to drop elements of Legion VI, while the Second Fleet blockade Carthage.
Their pathetic 10 ships or so fleet is parked there and our 20 ships Second Fleet shouldn't have trouble in case they make a sortie...
8_rome_55.jpg

...WRONG! A 10 martial admiral took command of their fleet and completly anihilated my 20 ships fleet lead by my 6 skilled admiral! Now that's a decisive sea battle!
I had voted the "Army First" law (so my navy had penalties), Carthage has "Naval Ethos" as an idea, they may have voted "Navy First", my blockading navy wasn't at 100%, so that might explain the result.

Island grabbing is going fine but that super-admiral fleet is annoying. They decide they have enough of my Gallic Fleet and start to chase it. I immediatly order the Main Fleet to counter-chase and we play cat and mouse again...
8_rome_64.jpg

...with inconclusive results.

Meanwhile at land...
8_rome_66.jpg

This doesnt look good. I didn't expected them to field that much troops there that fast. Nor did I expect to loose a big naval battle with superiority.

OPERATION DUNKERKUS
At about the same time something good happens with Egypt declaring war on Carthage.
Complexus Tacticus Forzewinus analyse the situation and propose a new plan.
8_rome_68.jpg

The offensive objective shifts from east to central africa. Carthage has now only token forces there and as they have no decent navy they can't shift their huge army, plus they'll have to deal with their new Egyptians friends there.
Objectives:
- Take Thapsus, our true objective (the wanted African province).
- Take Carthage to force favorable peace negociation, with the captured islands we should be abble to...
- ask for Thapsus + Panormus in peace negociation.

Of course the Carthies jump on the occasion and claim a great victory at Corniclanum.
cim_announcement.jpg

They can make all the noise that they want, CTF new plan works well.
8_rome_77.jpg

Legion V is saved just in time, land in Carthage and quickly defeat the token garrison, while Legion VI takes Thapsus.
I'm concerned that Carthage with its big fortifications will take too long to capture and we will have to face that annoying 30 units army sooner than expected...
Ah the glorious uncertainty of war...

NEWS OF THE WORLD
8_news.jpg

In the next episode : Disaster!