- Apr 5, 2002
an AAR from the cold, rocky far Northern end of the Isles, where the air is fresh, the weather harsh and men are men (in skirts). It is also concerned with health.
- building a university and a cathedral (and therefore having to acquire the provinces where such is possible)
- gain all the Kingdom Advantages (only after attaining the first goal
- keeping kingdom power at 5 (thus spending resources to get it back up after a loss, and therefore avoiding losing those points in the first place)
Mods: Laudan’s mod (INVASIONxxxxFinalxE.zip)
Playing as the Highlands, starting with that one province, on normal difficulty. For now most battles will be resolved automatically (I have no shame…). Updates will be paced… this is my first AAR and it’s sometimes unfortunate that I DO have a life outside of gaming.
Inspired by: Anguille's Merchant of Alexandria AAR (still ongoing) and all those many, many AARs I’ve read over the years, from EU2, Victoria, Crusader Kings, Hearts of Iron to GalCiv2. Thank you for those hours and hours of lost productivity!
* * *
wherein it drizzles and a dream is spoken of
Brave, brave Sir Walter
grouching by the halter
anything to make a rhyme
in such a rainy, drizzly time…
Sir Walter sat on his horse in the rain, looking down on the town of Inverness. Clouds hung low and the drizzle was fortunately weak enough not to make any noise as it collected on his iron helmet. His face had frozen into a permanent gloomy expression ages ago.
His young liege lord had shared a vision with him at dinner yesterday. Him and his visions! Pah! Dreams of Highlandish centers of learning to rival the ancients. The Highlandish banner snapping white and blue in the sunny breeze. Sun! Pah! And of course a cathedral to honor the Lord. As if this sodden country could ever gather the resources for such an undertaking. Sir Walter had been to Rome and knew what a cathedral looked like and what it meant. Looking down again on Inverness with its steep-roofed houses huddled around the flimsy fortification he could only shake his head.
Meanwhile there was work to do. Lothian was making threatening noises and it was decided to organize the smithies of Inverness and have a dedicated Swordsmith working full time. With enough weapons on hand, the Highlanders could be mustered in defense of their homeland. Or was it his lord making threatening noises towards Lothian? Not my problem, thought Sir Walter, for the worries of the world were many.
in other news:
- entered an alliance with Wales. unfortunately they ally with Wessex and Wessex has a province that would support construction of a university...
- prince Olav is sent to Byzantium to trade for gold
- building granary, fishmonger and inn to increase food production and workers
- hired a builder to speed up construction
- hired a merchant to trade for gold in Germany