• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Digitalclips

Recruit
May 20, 2017
High Sierra seems to have screwed up Cities Skylines Graphics. Moving vehicles leave pixel trails. (see wee screen shot)

Running on new Mac Pro six core macOS High Sierra official release. This started with early Apple Developer betas and I hoped it would be fixed by the time 10.13 went public but it isn't. Anyone else seeing this?

The game works fine (Steam version here) other than this motion is smearing. I've tried every thing I can think of, removing all mods, changing monitors, screen resolutions and all graphics settings alas nothing fixes this. Boot back to Sierra and all is well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 12.41.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 12.41.58 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 1.023
Upvote 0
What exact video system does your Mac have?

I am also having a problem after the Mac High Sierra update. There is a lag when I do anything with mouse or keyboard. Trying to get mouse pointer on something is difficult - about half to one second lag before any response. Also there are 2 mouse pointers, one the in game one and the other is the regular OS pointer. They positioned close to each other but not exactly pointing at same spot.
Mac is a 2015 15" MacBook Pro. 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB memory, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2GB

No problems with 2 other graphic intensive games.

I'd be pretty sure this is a Unity issue, I see some problems with 10.13 on their support pages.

@co_emmi are CO looking into this?

Can you please try this for me: In your Steam Library right-click on this game and choose Properties. Click on Set Launch Options, and paste this in there:

-force-glcore

Does that help at all?

OK tried it and the launch hangs, macOS reports: Cities Skylines ... (not responding)

I also tried moving Steam off the APFS boot onto an external HFS+ drive with no luck. Now I am going to try moving that and the Game which is in ~/Application off to HFS+ drive too.

Update: no luck. It must be the graphics drivers in High Sierra not the filing system. I have to believe Unity must be about to release a fix.

Last edited:
Can you please try this for me: In your Steam Library right-click on this game and choose Properties. Click on Set Launch Options, and paste this in there:

-force-glcore
I've had one report that this did help.

iMac late 2013 27 inch, NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1 GB

I have the -force option enabled and I get random glitches and eventually the game freezes. I've tried it without the -force option and it usually freezes the game right away or crashes.

I'm having the exact same issue since updating to high sierra. Using the -force-glcore starting option sadly does not work for me.
I went from around 55 fps to 3 fps just by updating. I hope a fix will be found soon as these lags currently make the game unplayable for me.

Also seeing issues here. I don't get artifacts or screen tearing, I'm just getting 1-2 fps with a ton of input lag so the game is unplayable.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) - 16GB RAM - 2.5ghz i7 / GeForce GT 750M 2GB

@bioyuki sounds like the exact same problem we are encountering.

My system:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) - 3,1GHz i7 - 16GB RAM - Radeon Pro 560 4GB

I hope Paradox / CO are able to fix the issue soon.
Please give us an update if you have any idea how long it is going to
take to find a fix. It affects a big group of players.

Last edited:
The same iMac as JB : iMac late 2013 27 inch, NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1 GB

Me tooI i have the -force option enabled and I get random glitches and eventually the game freezes.
Me too I've tried it without the -force option and it usually freezes the game right away or crashes.

I'm also an iMac user (late 2012, 27'') struggling with massive lag in-game.

With just -force-glcore, I ran into some graphic glitches (everything went white when I clicked on the Water/Sewage menu and the water overlay appeared, then blue when I closed it). However, I then dropped all my graphic settings to the lowest options and I didn't have any further issues (glitches/crashes).

Obviously it makes the game rather ugly, but at least playable!

@Stargater59 and you have already updated to high Sierra? You are rather lucky then. I just tried your method, bringing
all graphic settings down, but for me the result was an ugly city that still ran an unplayable 2fps.

@Stargater59 and you have already updated to high Sierra? You are rather lucky then. I just tried your method, bringing
all graphic settings down, but for me the result was an ugly city that still ran an unplayable 2fps.

Correct, I'm running High Sierra. Ironically I upgraded because I was actually hoping it would improve performance. :rolleyes:

Attached is a screenshot of my settings to compare to your own, in case something was missed (i.e. V-Sync, Anti-aliasing, etc... No idea if any of those settings make any difference or not).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 3.02.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 3.02.32 PM.png
    396,1 KB · Views: 512