• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

NilsFabian

What have the primitives ever done for us
153 Badges
Oct 24, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Magicka 2: Ice, Death and Fury
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Darkest Hour
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Magicka 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
I was wondering if there is a reason for the hiatus in the dev diaries? As far as I know the last Dev Diary was released one month ago. All other games are getting a development or at least some messages about their plans but here, everything is silent.

• 2Like
Reactions:
All other games are getting a development or at least some messages about their plans but here, everything is silent

This has unfortunately been the trend with HoI4 throughout its development, no doubt linked to the fact development has always advanced at a glacial pace compared to the other PDX games.

I used to speculate it's because the HoI4 team is small, but Johan assured me otherwise, though I'm still a little skeptical as to whether HoI4 has maintained such a large amount of resources at its disposal, or if this was just something they did during those final 18 months of pre-release development. Remember HoI4 was originally slated for January 2015; it was delayed by 18 months. We have also consistently seen DLCs for the game release much later than initial developer "guesstimates" have implied (they have since become a lot more conservative with speculating release dates).

I'm not sure what gives, but I presume it's to do with HoI4 being harder to work with, and possibly a lack of sufficient resources being allocated to its development.

• 5Like
Reactions:
and possibly a lack of sufficient resources being allocated to its development
That feeling is with me for more than 2 years now.
I can't proove it or even give some sort of evidence but the whole of HoI IV feels as if it is last when it comes to allocation. So as if it is Paradox least favorite child. They said it isn't but it feels like it.

Compared to Stellaris the progress is glacial and the bug fixes minimal. We get new stuff yet, but thats getting weirder and weirder while bugs remain.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I can't proove it or even give some sort of evidence but the whole of HoI IV feels as if it is last when it comes to allocation. So as if it is Paradox least favorite child. They said it isn't but it feels like it.

Compared to Stellaris the progress is glacial and the bug fixes minimal. We get new stuff yet, but thats getting weirder and weirder while bugs remain.

In fairness Stellaris really does need rapid improvements since they updated to 2.0. HOI4, while obviously can use a lot of changes and fixes, is very playable at its core (not to mention its many popular mods) and fairly successful in its sales so I can see why it might receive less allocations than other games in the roster

Reactions:
In fairness Stellaris really does need rapid improvements since they updated to 2.0. HOI4, while obviously can use a lot of changes and fixes, is very playable at its core (not to mention its many popular mods) and fairly successful in its sales so I can see why it might receive less allocations than other games in the roster
Well you might be right in according to sales numbers. But Stellaris wouldn't need rapid improvements. It had been playable all the times. What Stellaris gets more than every other game is new stuff that recreates the game everytime. You always have to learn new.

Reactions:
Well only a fax for Mac.
A shame, considering there are many bugs still not addressed. Yugoslavia can still get cores on Transylvania using the same method that was supposedly fixed in 1.10.2, missing portraits and polishing problems here and there.
This has unfortunately been the trend with HoI4 throughout its development, no doubt linked to the fact development has always advanced at a glacial pace compared to the other PDX games.

I used to speculate it's because the HoI4 team is small, but Johan assured me otherwise, though I'm still a little skeptical as to whether HoI4 has maintained such a large amount of resources at its disposal, or if this was just something they did during those final 18 months of pre-release development. Remember HoI4 was originally slated for January 2015; it was delayed by 18 months. We have also consistently seen DLCs for the game release much later than initial developer "guesstimates" have implied (they have since become a lot more conservative with speculating release dates).

I'm not sure what gives, but I presume it's to do with HoI4 being harder to work with, and possibly a lack of sufficient resources being allocated to its development.
I doubt he assured you otherwise, he is basically saying that before 2015 the Hearts of Iron 4 team was huge. I don't think this is the case anymore. It makes sense to have a huge team pre-release, but now they only work on update and new DLC, the core framework is already there. It may be the only project with a 100% dedicated AI developer, but the AI is not the reason a lot of users feel that Hearts of Iron 4 is neglected. The real concerns are just like you said in the OP: very long list of balance issues and bugs, some of which are easy to fix and have been solved by modders.

Take King Michael's Coup's coup for example. Originally, it worked not even close like the real life King Michael's Coup. When it was added in 1.10.0 it was an alternative to Forced Abdication which makes no sense historicalwise. The coup happened 3 years after the abdication, they both happened and one would not have happened without the other. And now while that was fixed the swich sides decisions are all messed up. They are unlocked at "appoint government" which is not even remotely related to the change of government in 1938-1939 that those focuses are supposed to represent. And King Michael I, a staunch defender of democracy who hated fascism and communism equally and plotted against fascist leader Ion Antonescu, has the options to switch sides to the Axis or the Comintern.

Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that the switch to Axis and switch to Comintern decisions are available in the game, but the location where they are implemented is just terrible. And there are countless such examples across multiple nations. I don't wish for a complete overhaul, just fix these bugs. You don't see a lot of stuff like that in EU4 or CK3 by comparison, which is why I personally feel that Hoi4 is the neglected child of Paradox. I don't expect the devs to be historians, but if CK2 and EU4 can be historically accurate then there must be something missing from Hoi4. If they don't have a historian to compare game mechanics with real life events they should get one, if they have a historian, they should fire him and get a good one.

I have the same feeling. And I don't think it's only in my head, it's a great game, but not exactly polished around the corners:
- Lots of bugs, a focus tree works well alone. But if you go multiplayer and different players go alt-history there's a fair chance everything becomes a mess.
- A lot of historical inaccuracies in Hearts of Iron 4 are not present in Europa Universalis 4, Crusader Kings 2 or Crusader Kings 3. And being the most recent, World War II is a lot more doccumented than any of the timelines of the other games, so it's supposed to be way easier to get doccumentation for Hoi4 than CK3 for example.
- Even the alt-history path has historical inaccuracies, simply because that's not how that thing was supposed to work, such as France's communist revolution when below 25% stability with 0% communist popularity or Yugoslavia's puppeting of Translyvania in West Banat that gets cores on the rest of Transylvania.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I don't see HOI4 development as being slow, tbh. They've been putting out about one major expansion each year, which is basically what the Stellaris team is doing. They decided a long while ago they weren't going to do "filler" diaries, so I wouldn't take a lack of dev diaries in December as an indication the team isn't doing anything.

If I were to speculate, I'd expect they're doing a massive rework on content related to the Eastern Front and don't want to share things until they're pretty confident it's going to be in the game in some form. I wouldn't want to, say, read about some mechanic allowing Finland to inflict outsized casualities in the Winter War only to later hear that they're not doing it at all.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I don't see HOI4 development as being slow, tbh. They've been putting out about one major expansion each year, which is basically what the Stellaris team is doing. They decided a long while ago they weren't going to do "filler" diaries, so I wouldn't take a lack of dev diaries in December as an indication the team isn't doing anything.

If I were to speculate, I'd expect they're doing a massive rework on content related to the Eastern Front and don't want to share things until they're pretty confident it's going to be in the game in some form. I wouldn't want to, say, read about some mechanic allowing Finland to inflict outsized casualities in the Winter War only to later hear that they're not doing it at all.
Comparing Hoi4 with CK2, Crusader Kings 2 made major updates more than once a year and was the for the most part a polished game:

Hearts of Iron 4 on the other hand was always in need of changes and fixes, there are lots of thing wrong both historicalwise and gameplaywise.

I enjoy a new Hearts of Iron 4 DLC as much as the next man, but if they won't fix their previous bugs before moving to the next DLC, the game will only have more and more to the point where it becomes impossible to fix them. You can't get everything pre-release, but the post-release bugs should have been given more attention than they have. I've seen plenty of posts in the bug reports sections that haven't been fixed for years and some were as simple as a typo or localization problem, it would literally take seconds to fix.

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
devdiaries.png

I was hoping for some news before christmas, but I wouldn't count on it

• 3Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
But there is something that unites Stellaris, I: R, Ck3 and Hoi4. At first they were hideous! Seriously, HORRENDS! Especially I: R and Hoi4. But they got better with patches. And I think after CK3, we have (hopefully) learned the lesson, that with this idea of "simplifying" they don't have to throw away all the experience they got from the old games. Example if you read the last DD of stellaris, the diplomatic system is that of Eu4 + bonus. because? because they often tried to use other systems, but in the end the Di eu4 was the best. With the peace conferences (and before the hoi3 system which was not to say beautiful, but not terribly ugly) they did the same thing ... only I think they want to think about a new peace system, perhaps because they are ashamed of having to pull out a system to Eu4 / hoi2! And I think they will also bring out the ships on Ck3 ... Because they have often taken a good slap in the face lately by angry users. But in these cases the company can only do one thing: Apologize, admit you were wrong and use the old system which was great! I know that as one user said, programmers just want to experiment and try new things, but sometimes an old proverb holds true: Winning team does not change / If you leave the old path, you know what you lose. But you don't know what you find!

Reactions:
HOI4 is largely a land warfare game, and additions on that point were extremely minor over the entirety of the game.
General traits, Feld Marshal command level. land units consuming fuel, limit on special forces, gimmicky new marine units and command power abilities are almost exhaustive list of actual additions to land warfare, which is very sad. But at least we got enormous focus trees.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I hope we get a pre-break diary, idk what would be in it if content isn't ready (I'm personally a big fan of filler diaries), but maybe a forecast of what the next year will look like/some of the adjustments they've made due to COVID. Maybe a clue about what this "Barbarossa" patch will focus on

• 1Like
Reactions:
I miss Dev Dairy. I think HOI4 code more hard to work with than other Paradox game. I wish they do Early Access like other game so community can help design DLC. Many good suggestion on forum every day.

Also, it seem like HOI4 not have many bug fixer on team. I read many bug on forum all the time and sometime they not ever fix. More bug fix and less alt-history would be good.

Reactions: