• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1. INTRODUCTION.

Semper Victor

Šahān Šāh Ērān ud Anērān
26 Badges
Dec 10, 2005
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
1. INTRODUCTION.

This thread is the fourth and final one in my ongoing series about the history of the Sasanian Empire. The first thread The Rise of the Sasanians dealt with the sudden appearance and ascendancy of the two first kings of the House of Sāsān in the Iranian Empire and the fulgurant expansion they undertook to the west and east, until the disastrous defeat of king Narsē against the Roman Tetrarch Galerius and the First Peace of Nisibis in 299 CE. The second thread (The First Golden Age of Sasanian Iran) picked up the narrative where the first one had ended and told the tale of the long fight by Šābuhr II (r. 309-379 CE) to recover the lands ceded to Rome by Narsē which ended in a Sasanian victory in 363 CE, while the remaining years of his reign and those of his three successors were marked by continuous defeats against the Huns in Central Asia. The thread thus finished with the murder of Warahrān IV at the hands of his nobles and the loss of most of the lands formerly ruled by the Sasanians in Central Asia.

The third thread, Ērān against Tūrān, covered from 399 to 499 CE, a period in which the kings of the House of Sāsān had to struggle constantly against the grave danger posed first by the Kidarite Huns and later the Hephthalite Huns in Central Asia, while they dealt with grave unrest in the interior of the empire, with most kings meeting a violent death at hands of their own nobility, as well as constant uprisings in the Caucasus. In contrast, the relations with the Eastern Roman Empire were relatively peaceful, as the Romans also had to deal with serious threats in the Balkans and the dissolution of the Roman Empire in the West. Although the Sasanian king Pērōz managed finally to destroy the Kidarite kingdom in the late 460s CE, this only paved the way for the rise of a much more dangerous Hunnic dynasty, the Hephthalites, who inflicted several crushing defeats on this king, the last of which ended with his death in battle in 474 CE. From this moment onwards, the Sasanians not only suffered massive territorial losses in the East, but also had to suffer the final indignity of becoming tributaries of the Hephthalites, who meanwhile carried out a fulgurant expansion across Central Asia that led them to control all of the Tarim Basin and Dzungaria to the borders of the Chinese Northern Wei dynasty and the Rouran Khaganate. The final decade of the V c. CE also saw the religious experiment of the young king Kawād I, in which he promoted the Zarādušti heresy (which had existed since the III c. CE) with the aim of reducing the social power of the upper nobility. The attempt ended in disaster, and Kawād I had to be restored by the Hephthalites, who reinforced in this way their role as overlords of their Sasanian tributaries. The V c. CE has also furnished plenty of evidence to archaeologists about the sophistication, numbers, and organizational prowess of the Sasanian army, to the point that has forced historians to reconsider their assumptions about the very nature of the Sasanian state. By the late V c. CE, even if it had been defeated and humiliated by the Hephthalites, the Sasanian army was a formidable force, capable of mobilizing vast armies and building massive campaign fortresses; as the British historian James Howard-Johnston underlined, by now it was the Sasanians who had an aggressive, well organized army used to launching large-scale offensives and the Romans who had been left with a defensively minded army unable to replicate the feats of their Sasanians counterparts.

In 503 CE, the Šahān Šāh Kawād I broke a century of (relatively) peaceful coexistence between the Sasanian and Roman empires by invading suddenly and by surprise the eastern Roman provinces, and starting the Anastasian War (thus known due to the name of the ruling augustus at the time, Anastasius I). The relations between both empires worsened gradually as the VI c. CE went by, and several wars broke out, until in 572 CE the Roman augustus Justin II organized an alliance with the mighty Türk Khaganate with the ambitious aim of destroying the Sasanian Empire altogether. The Sasanians, under the leadership of Xusrō I, allied themselves with the Avars and were able to repeat the enemy offensives on both fronts and then counterattack, but the war went on and lasted until 591 CE.

After the debacle of the religious reforms of his first reign, Kawād I abstained from further meddling in religious affairs, but he was clearly a reformist monarch, and his reign was crowned by success. In the 520s CE he managed to recover the eastern territories lost to the Hephthalites by his father Pērōz; he reformed and systematized the administrative system of the Empire, and at the end of his reign he initiated a large-scale tax reform that was probably the direct cause for the Mazdakite uprising. It was in the middle of this uprising that his son Xusrō I (r. 531-579 CE) rose to the throne. Xusrō I crushed the uprising, ended the Iberian War against the Romans that his father had started in 526 CE and enacted his father’s tax reform. Xusrō I’s reign is acknowledged in later Perso-Arabic historiography as the true “Golden Age of Ērānšahr, and Xusrō became synonymous in Arabic for “Sasanian king” (Kisrā).

There are good, objective reasons for this assessment of Xusrō I’s reign: his military prowess, his sweeping military reforms that reinforced even more the military strength of the Empire, his building activities (he built cities, great works of infrastructure like the Nahrawan Canal, and a new and splendid palace in Ctesiphon), his promotion of culture (his court promoted a bedazzling number of written works), religious reforms (it was under him that the Avestā was finally codified and put down in writing), promotion of trade (under him, Sasanian traders became predominant in the Indian markets and practically expelled Roman merchants from the Indian Ocean trade) and cultural exchange (especially with India, as this king kept intense diplomatic relations with several Indian kings that allowed the arrival into Ērānšahr of Indian scientific and literary works, and customs like chess). Given this brilliant account of his achievements, it is hard to dispute him the title as the most successful among the Sasanian kings, but this has one caveat: during his reign, the Sasanian court launched a real propaganda offensive comparable only to the massive efforts undertaken centuries before in the Roman Empire by Augustus or Diocletian, and most of the literary output fostered by his court was designed as royal propaganda, and this has had an obvious effect on later Perso-Arabic historians. His external policy also attained mixed results: he twice broke peace treaties with Justinian I, taking advantage of the latter’s involvement in North Africa and the West, and he opportunistically allied himself with the newly arrived Türks in order to destroy the Hephthalite Empire. In this he succeeded, but at the cost of substituting the Hephthalite Empire by an even more formidable enemy. As diplomatic relations with the Türks soured, they sought (and obtained) a military alliance with the Romans aimed at destroying Ērānšahr in a strategic pincer attack. Thus Xusrō I left to his son and successor Hormazd IV a beleaguered empire, embroiled in a never-ending war in two fronts. By reasons that are still poorly understood by modern historians, while the war was still going on (and was gradually turning against the Sasanians in the west, as the Romans were ably led by the two emperor-generals Tiberius and Maurice) this Šahān Šāh unleashed a massive purge against the nobility that in 590 CE caused an unthinkable event to happen. The army general Warahrān Chōbēn, a member of the Mihrān family, rebelled against Hormazd III with the intention of gaining the crown for himself, thus breaking a taboo that had lasted for three centuries: that only a member of the House of Sāsān could sit on the throne of Ērānšahr. In retrospect, this was to be the beginning of the end.

In Ctesiphon, a desperate attempt was made by the court: Hormazd IV was deposed and murdered in a plot that involved his brothers in law Wistaxm and Windōē, members of the House of Ispahbudhan, and his son Xusrō II was appointed as king in his stead, but this did not deter the rebel army of Warahrān Chōbēn. Xusrō II fled the capital and sought refuge in the Roman Empire, while Chōbēn entered Ctesiphon, proclaimed himself Šahān Šāh and started to mint coinage as Warahrān VI.

The Roman augustus Maurice offered asylum to Xusrō II, who asked for Roman help to recover his throne. Maurice accepted, but he put extremely harsh conditions for it. Xusrō II was to become his “son” (presumably as an act of adoption, following Iranian custom) and so he would become subordinate to the Roman emperor. Xusrō II would pay an enormous tribute/subsidy for the expenses incurred and as a war indemnity and would also cede most of Armenia and Iberia to Rome. Xusrō II accepted all the conditions and in 591 CE he invaded Ērānšahr at the head of a Roman army of 40,000, reinforced by a part of the Sasanian army and nobility that rebelled against Warahrān VI in his support, led by his two maternal uncles Wistaxm and Windōē.

The combined army defeated Warahrān VI in Ādurbādagān, and the defeated usurper fled to the Türks, where later Xusrō II managed to have him killed. Still unsecure on his throne and wanting to disassociate himself from his father’s murder, Xusrō II had Windōē murdered, which caused his brother Wistaxm (military governor of the northeastern quarter of the empire) to raise in rebellion and proclaim himself Šāhān Šāh. He was the second magnate in less than a decade that usurped the throne without being a member of the House of Sāsān. It took Xusrō II at least six years of constant warfare to put the rebellion down.

In 602 CE, Emperor Maurice was brutally assassinated together with all his male sons by the troops of the Army of the Danube, who hailed as augustus one of their centurions, Phocas. Xusrō II immediately declared war, as officially he was the “son” of the murdered emperor, and also, as all the other male sons of Maurice had been murdered, also his presumptive heir according to Iranian custom. This was to be the last war of Antiquity, the war that exhausted and destroyed both empires. It lasted from 602 to 628 CE and saw the devastation of large swathes of territory in the Middle East and Anatolia, and the depletion of both the manpower and fiscal resources of both empires. Initially, the armies of Xusrō II met with overwhelming success: they conquered Syria, Palestine, and Egypt, and by the early 620s CE they were encamped at Chalcedon, in sight of Constantinople across the Bosporus, while their Avar allies besieged the city on the European side. But the Roman augustus Heraclius was able to turn the tide with Türk help, and in 628 CE, due to mounting military defeats, Xusrō II was deposed and murdered and succeeded by his son Kawād II, who signed a peace with Heraclius, handing him over all the Sasanian conquests and ceding to him northern Mesopotamia and Armenia. To secure his throne, Kawād II ordered the killing of all his male relatives, only to die of the plague after a two-year reign. His death plunged Ērānšahr into complete internal chaos, and a blizzard of usurpers rose across the empire while in Ctesiphon a series of ephemeral kings (and queens) succeeded each other at increased speed.

The situation seemed to stabilize somewhat when a teenager of 16 years of age member of an obscure branch of the House of Sāsān was symbolically crowned as Šāhān Šāh in Staxr, the cradle of the dynasty, with the name of Yazdegerd III in June 632 CE. The constant usurpations and uprising died down and the new king was able to set up his court at Ctesiphon; maybe if he had been given enough time he would have been able to stabilize and rebuild the Empire. But both the Romans and Iranians had run out of time. In 633 CE, the Muslim Arabs launched their first invasion of Mesopotamia under Khālid ibn al-Walīd; he eventually retreated but in 636 CE a second and more serious invasion was launched, under the command of Sa’d ibn Abī Waqqās, who crushed the Sasanian army decisively at al-Qādisiyyah in Iraq that same year. This led to the fall of all of Iraq, including Ctesiphon and Vēh-Ardaxšīr (after a year-long siege). After the fall of Ctesiphon in 637 CE, the Arabs inflicted another defeat on the Sasanians at Jalula east of the Tigris, which opened to them the Diyala River and access to the Iranian Plateau. While some Arab contingents invaded first Xūzestān and then Pārs in the south, the main Arab army commanded by Sa’d ibn Abī Waqqās crossed the Zagros and met the royal Sasanian army at Nehāvand in Media. The Sasanian army was annihilated, and this victory ensured that the Muslims would not encounter any other large-scale organized resistance. The occupation of the country was slow, as many cities and regions resisted fiercely against the invaders (especially in Pārs and Sīstān), but the efforts were uncoordinated and thus ineffective against the invaders. Yazdegerd III fled to Marv intending to ask the Türks for help, but he was murdered there in 651 CE in obscure circumstances. His son Pērōz fled to the Tang court in China and later returned to eastern Iran and led a resistance/guerrilla warfare against the Arabs for some years based in Ṭoḵārestān until he was forced to go back to China where he died ca. 679 CE.

Compared to previous threads, for this time period we are blessed (perhaps even cursed) with an overabundance of sources, in Greek, Syriac, Latin, Arabic, Middle and New Persian, Chinese, Sanskrit, Bactrian, Sogdian, Hebrew, Georgian and Armenian, although this does not mean that there are not important lacunae left in our understanding of the facts. The period after Xusrō II’s murder and the Arab Muslim conquest is particularly chaotic, and as we will see the Arabic sources do not help much to shed light onto it because there are rarely two accounts in agreement with each other.

This thread covers a long period of time (more than any of my previous ones) because I just could not find a criterium that might have justified splitting it up. There are no clear breaks like the First Peace of Nisibis in 299 CE or the return of Kawād I from exile in 499 CE, and the overarching theme of this time period (the growing -and in the end, suicidal- hostility between the Roman and Sasanian empires) stretches without interruption from 503 to 628 CE, and I did not want to make a thread to deal exclusively with the conquest of Iran by the Rashidun Caliphate, so I decided to include everything in one thread, that inevitably will have to be long.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
2. INDEX
Last edited:
3. SOURCES
3. SOURCES.

Bah, defeatist. Sure the growing hostility between Rome and Iran was suicidal for the Sassanians, but Rome lasted a half millenium more at least. ;)

Bah, defeatist. Sure the growing hostility between Rome and Iran was suicidal for the Sassanians, but Rome lasted a half millenium more at least. ;)
Yeah the Romans really came out of that war with nothing more than a flesh wound
712a51b7-0001-0004-0000-000000831431_w920_r1.5463917525773196_fpx38.67_fpy49.88.jpg

• 3Haha
Reactions:
Yeah the Romans really came out of that war with nothing more than a flesh wound
Was it really worse than the loss of the whole west, which happened in the previous era?

I don’t want to enter into much detail, because this will be properly addressed in the thread proper, but the 602-628 CE war marked the end of Antiquity (or rather Late Antiquity) in the East in more ways than one. Archaeology supports this. The cities of the Eastern Roman Empire recovered swiftly from the Justinianic Plague, but the war of 602-628 CE was a fatal blow. Prior to it a time traveler from the time of Hadrian or Constantine would still have recognized Anatolia or Syria as Roman provinces, but Anatolia in the year 700 CE would’ve been unrecognizable to them. In the VI c. CE, circuses, baths, nymphaea and aqueducts were still in working order, and Constantinople still received the anonna from Egypt. Cities like Ephesus or Sardis were growing, and great churches, walls and colonnaded streets were still being built across the Empire. By 700 CE, Byzantine Anatolia was a depopulated land were the remains of ancient cities had suffered a process of incastellamento similar to the one experienced in the Latin West, and the population of Constantinople (without the grain dole) had shrank to a mere shadow of what it used to be; while monumental construction stopped abruptly everywhere. It’s for this reason that historians usually put in this point in time the birth of medieval Byzantium.

Last edited:
Reactions:
The summary promises a really interesting story. (By the way, I think you mixed up the regnal number on Hormazd on one occasion.)

• 1Like
Reactions:
The summary promises a really interesting story. (By the way, I think you mixed up the regnal number on Hormazd on one occasion.)

You were right. Fixed.

I'm new to your threads, but I do enjoy what I'm reading so far. Very interesting topic, Iranian history is very interesting to me so I'll be looking forward to future updates here.

• 1Like
Reactions:
4.1. THE ROMAN EMPIRE IN 500 CE.
4.1. THE ROMAN EMPIRE IN 500 CE.

A bit paradoxically, I will start this fourth and last thread about the history of the House of Sāsān writing about the Romans. I find it necessary because between 503 and 628 CE both empires would be in a state of continuous war or hostile peace. In a sense, it might even be seen as a return to their origins by the Sasanians, as Rome was the main enemy of the two first Šāhān Šāhs of this dynasty. But the Roman Empire of 500 CE had changed a lot from what it used to be under Severus Alexander or Constantius II; during the V c. CE there was a long period of peace between both empires, and to a certain degree we have “lost sight” of the Romans. Because of these reasons, I think it advisable to take a look at the realities of the Roman Empire in 500 CE.

The most obvious change of course is that the Roman order had ceased to exist in the western Mediterranean. In 476 CE, the commander of the Germanic foederati (mainly Rugii and Heruli) in Italy deposed the last Western Roman emperor Romulus Augustus in Ravenna and sent the imperial regalia to emperor Zeno in Constantinople, acknowledged himself as Zeno’s “representative” in Italy. When he was killed and replaced as Rex Italiae by the Ostrogothic Theoderic, the latter also recognizer the Emperor in Constantinople as his overlord (in a purely theoretical way, though). Because of this, I will drop for this thread the nomenclature “Eastern Roman Empire” when talking about events that happened after 476 CE, because from this year onwards there was de iure and de facto a single Roman Empire with its capital in Constantinople.

The Roman Empire had been of course weakened by the loss of its western provinces. In modern military terms, we could say that it had lost “strategic depth”. While emperors like Severus Alexander or Julian had been able to resort to western armies to reinforce their eastern forces to fight the Sasanians now that strategical depth was lost. The main danger for the Eastern Roman Empire during the V c. CE had been the Huns, who had attacked it repeatedly and turned it into a tributary state during the reigns of Arcadius and Theodosius II. The Eastern Empire had been saved by geography: its core provinces (by population and wealth) were separated from Europe by the Bosporus and the Dardanelles, which were unsurmountable obstacles for the Huns in front of the powerful Roman navy. With the exception of Constantinople, which was protected by the formidable Theodosian Walls, the rest of the Balkans were devastated and laid bare to such a degree that it was not until the reign of Justinian I (r. 527-565 CE) that many of these cities were rebuilt and repopulated, but the Asian and African provinces of the Eastern Empire were spared.

constantinople-reconstructed-4th-13th-century_1.jpg

Historians consider that Constantinople reached its maximum size and population during the V-VI c. CE, while it was still receiving the dole of Egyptian grain at the expenses of the imperial government. View of the tip of the peninsula in which the city is located, looking north towards the Bosporus on the right and the Golden Horn on the left. The huge structure of the Hippodrome built by Constantine I sits in the center of the image; he located it next to the imperial palace (the so-called "Great Palace"; the mix of low-lying structures and buildings to its right) in imitation of the complex of the Circus Maximus and the imperial palace on the Palatine Hill in Rome. Like in Rome, emperors acceded directly to the imperial box (the κάθισμα, káthisma, lit. “seat”). To the left can bee seen the Harbor of Theodosius and the Forum of Constantine, and on the foreground the imperial harbor for the use of the emperor and the court.

Other than the Huns, the other Germanic polities that flourished over the ruins of the Roman Empire in the West posed no immediate threat to the Eastern Romans, with one exception: the Vandal kingdom in North Africa, which was the only Germanic polity that managed to build up a navy that menaced the naval supremacy of the Romans. Among the Germanic groups that had invaded the West, the Vandals had never bothered to seek even the pretense of acting in the name of a “legitimate” Roman emperor (unlike the Goths) and their conquest of Carthage in 439 CE had probably inflicted the death blow on the tottering Roman Empire in the West. Because of this, as soon as the Hun danger in the Danube had dissipated after Attila’s death, the Eastern Emperor Leo I had joined forces with his western counterpart Anthemius and sent in 468 CE a huge armada commanded by his brother-in-law Basiliscus against the Vandals, which was destroyed in battle by the Vandal king Genseric in the Battle of Cape Bon near Carthage. This outcome sealed the fate of the moribund Western Empire, which ceased to exist eight years later.

During the V c. CE, the Eastern Roman Empire had been ruled by a string of mediocre emperors, often at the mercy of palace intrigues, and the true power had been held by powerful ministers, women of the imperial family, or ambitious generals. But despite this, the Empire had been surprisingly stable and there had been relatively few internal conflicts for succession (the historical bane of the Romans), and the only one that had become really serious (Basiliscus’ coup against Zeno) was solved in less than a year and with the area of conflict being limited to western Anatolia and Constantinople.

Because of the situation of internal and external peace, the eastern provinces of the Empire flourished. Cities grew, cultivated lands expanded and monumental construction became widespread, promoted both by the emperors and by local ecclesiastical or secular elites. It is a measure of the underlying prosperity of the east at this period that it was able to absorb the enormous loss of the failed 468 CE expedition against the Vandals (that according to Procopius amounted to 130,000 pounds of gold, an astronomic amount) virtually within a generation. Compared to it, the payments to the Huns were little more than a pittance: annual payments to Attila amounted to 700 pounds of gold and, after a defeat inflicted by him on the imperial troops in Thrace, increased to 2,100 pounds, with a single payment of 6,000 pounds under the treaty of 443 CE.

Pulcheria_Coin.jpg

Gold solidus issued in name of Pulcheria (399 – 453 CE), elder sister of Theodosius II and real ruler of the Eastern Empire during her brother’s reign. The Senate of Constantinople raised her to the rank of augusta in 414 CE; immediately she took the veil and became a nun (and forced her sisters Arcadia and Marina to do the same), although she continued to rule the empire and did not live in a monastery. She left her status as a nun after her brother’s death in 450 CE in order to marry Marcian, who succeeded him as emperor. After her death she was canonized, and she is venerated as a saint by the Catholic and Orthodox churches. Obverse: AEL(-ia) PVLCHERIA AVG(-usta). Reverse: VOT(-is) XX MVLT (XXX) – coin issued to celebrate her vicennalia, twentieth anniversary on the throne, and hoping that the triccennalia (thirtieth anniversary) could be celebrated too. Mint of Constantinople.

Archaeology has furnished evidence about this growth, both in Anatolia and the Levant. Of course, the imperial capital of Constantinople expanded within the perimeter of the Theodosian Walls; but as it was fed by the Egyptian grain annona, it was an exceptional case. During the V c. CE, the city witnessed the erection of great constructions like Theodosian Walls or the Forum of Arcadius, but the examples in the provinces are more interesting.

In Anatolia, perhaps the best-known example is the city of Ephesus. It has been the largest city in the Roman province of Asia, and later in western Anatolia, since the Principate, but it had stagnated after the Gothic sack of the city in the 260s CE. In the V c. CE the city recovered its vitality and emperor Arcadius rebuilt the main colonnaded street between the harbor and the theater (appropriately named by archaeologists “Arcadian Street”). Excavations at Sardes in Phrygia have yielded similar results. Even the small city of Aphrodisias in Caria, a pagan stronghold and which has been excavated during the last four decades, kept its prosperity and its famed sculpture school was still active. Aphrodisias also provides a good example for the revival of the epigraphic habit in the Roman East; a great number of V c. CE inscriptions in Greek verse have been discovered, that prove the continued vitality of traditional Greek education in rhetoric and literature even in an unimportant provincial city. Paganism remained strong in this city, and it was not until the late V c. CE that the great temple of Aphrodite was not turned into a church (probably by order of the imperial authorities) and in the early VII c. CE the city had its name changed to Stauropolis (“City of the Cross”). Similar epigraphic findings in Ephesus and Apamea in Syria confirm that this literary vitality was widespread. In the mid-VI c. CE Procopius of Caesarea still presented a completely classical idea of what a city should be like to be worthy of being called as such (referring to Helenopolis in Bithynia):

Procopius of Caesarea, On Buildings V.2.1-5:
There is a certain city in Bithynia which bears the name of Helen, mother of the Emperor Constantine, for they say that Helen was born in this village, which formerly was of no consequence. But Constantine, by way of repaying the debt of her nurture, endowed this place with the name and dignity of a city. However, he has built there nothing in a style of imperial magnificence, but, though the place remained outwardly as it had been before, it will now boast merely of the title of city and pride itself in the name of its foster-child Helen. But our Emperor, as if seeking to excuse his imperial predecessor’s want of propriety, first of all observed that the city was suffering from shortage of water and was cruelly oppressed by thirst, and so he improvised a marvelous aqueduct and provided it with an unlooked-for supply of water, sufficient for the people there not only to drink but also to use for bathing and for all the other luxuries in which men indulge who have an unstinted supply of water. Besides this he made for them a public bath which had not existed before, and he rebuilt another which was damaged and lay abandoned, and already lay in ruin because of the scarcity of water which I have mentioned and because of neglect. Nay more, he built here churches and a palace and stoas and lodgings for the magistrates, and in other respects he gave it the appearance of a prosperous city.

In what is today Palestine, Israel and Jordan (and leaving Jerusalem aside, as it was another special case), the V and VI c. CE witnessed the building of many churches and synagogues with splendid mosaic floors (the best known examples are those of the church at Madaba in Jordan and the synagogue of Sepphoris in Galilee). British historian and archaeologist Mark Whittow argued that in view of the large sum of gold paid by the city of Edessa to Xusrō I in 540 and 544 CE to avoid being destroyed by the Sasanian army, the city must have been prosperous, and the amounts of silver in the city when it was captured by the army of Xusrō II in 609 CE point to the same conclusion. In contrast it has been deduced from a study of settlement patterns in the region that while settlement density reached an unprecedented peak from the IV to the VI c. CE, from the VII c. CE onwards there was a dramatic fall in occupation.

sardis_Byzantine_Shops_and_the_Bath-Gymnasium_Complex.jpg

View of the remains of the great complex of the gymnasium in Sardes (Lydia, Asia Minor) built during the II c. CE. Part of the complex was transformed into a synagogue during the V c. CE. The row of smaller walls in the foreground are shops built during the Late Roman period adjacent to the building

Chariot races were still held in the major cities (i.e., other than Constantinople) and many ancient “pagan” festivals were also still held in cities across the Roman East. The theatre at Aphrodisias remained in use in the VI c. CE, as is clear from the factional inscriptions, but early in the VII c. CE the stage building collapsed and was not repaired, and a wall-painting of the archangel Michael shows that at least part of the building was already being differently used, and in fact factional disturbances between circus factions continued in Egyptian towns and in Jerusalem, into the VII c. CE, and even in Alexandria at the time of the Arab invasions.

At the same time a different phenomenon is emerging with increasing clarity in recent scholarship, namely the high density of settlement in certain areas of the Roman East from the late V c. CE into the VI c. CE. This is true of certain parts of southern Palestine, the Golan and especially the Negev, which reached its highest density of settlement, and presumably of population before the contemporary era, at this point. The villages of the Limestone Massif of northern Syria studied since the 1930s, also testify to a prosperous and dense habitation, and to intense cultivation in the hinterlands of Antioch and Apamea in Syria. There is also have evidence from papyri from Nessana in the south-west Negev, as well as archaeological evidence from urban centers such as Rehovot in the central Negev, Oboda and Elusa, which also developed during this period, to set alongside the results of surveys. There is plentiful evidence of viticulture and olive-growing, as well as material evidence of elaborate irrigation methods for agriculture in this dry region, such as dams, aqueducts, cisterns, and the like. Interestingly, the towns of this period in the Negev seem to have been more market and administrative centers for the surrounding countryside, which was thickly dotted with villages, than urban centers on the late classical model, which implies that they were foundations of the V-VI c. CE.

A similar pattern of settlement density can be traced in other ways. The impressive number of mosaic pavements surviving from churches, synagogues, and other buildings from this period in Palestine and Transjordania demonstrate the level of investment in buildings, even if not general prosperity. The large city of Scythopolis (modern Bet Shean, in Israel) shows no sign of declining until the city was hit by earthquake, probably in 749 CE, and a bilingual balance from the city, inscribed in Greek and Arabic, seems to suggest that the local population had found a modus vivendi with the new elite of the Umayyad period. Population growth, development of towns and increased levels of cultivation and irrigation have been widely noted, not only in the Negev, but also in northern Syria and the Hauran. In contrast, there seems to have been a distinct falling away in many cases from the VII c. CE onwards, when, besides the effects of plague, the civil war under Phocas and the later Sasanian and Arab invasions must also have taken their toll, together with a degree of emigration to the west.

Serjilla-ruins.jpg

Remains of Serjilla, one of the “dead towns” of the Limestone Massif in northern Syria that experienced great prosperity during the V-VI c. CE; like the other villages of the area it was abandoned shortly after the Arab conquest. The source of their prosperity was the monoculture and production of olive oil; an economic activity that can only thrive if integrated within a fully functional and well-developed commercial network.

Several reasons have been put forward for prosperity in the east, among them the economic benefits of the pilgrim traffic (which included pilgrimage from Sasanian Mesopotamia, to the shrine of Saint Sergius at Resafa). This was certainly helpful to the region, and had been so since the IV c. CE, but it cannot be responsible for such a widespread phenomenon. Similar patterns of increased population density are in any case observable elsewhere, for instance in Egypt. In the case of Palestine and Syria recent explanations look to long-distance trade as a major factor in understanding the changes in the region over the period; shipwreck archaeology based on finds off the coast of Israel is one indicator of the density of exchange in the VI c. CE, and of a falling-off in the VII c. CE.

Long-distance movement of commodities in connection with the imperial annona has been much studied in recent years through the evidence from amphorae, and even though its main axis in this period was from Egypt and North Africa to Constantinople, it is now clear that other goods travelled in all directions, and that Palestine and Syria were producing not only olive oil but also wine on a large scale, amounting to a substantial surplus and source of local prosperity. Not only shipwreck evidence but also literary sources such as the VII c. CE Life of John the Almsgiver, Miaphysite patriarch of Alexandria, show that Late Roman ships were involved in extensive distribution networks across the Mediterranean and to and from the east, carrying a wide range of items from metalwork, glass and silverware to spices and perfumes. Cargoes of specialized items probably also made use of the annona ships on their return journey having delivered their original cargo. A classic example of private trade is provided by the VI c. CE Egyptian traveler and merchant known as Cosmas Indicopleustes (“he who sailed to India” in Greek), who described trading voyages to Ethiopia, the Red Sea, India and Sri Lanka in his Christian Topography, but the material evidence tells a fuller story of long-distance and local exchange and the interaction of state and private. This picture of extensive non-state production and distribution in the eastern provinces differs from that of the Late Roman state in the west, where the state-led annona accounted for a higher proportion of distribution, and it also reflects a different kind of settlement pattern, more urbanized and with more small producers still doing well, but fewer large estates. Egypt, with its great landowning families, seems to be an exception to this pattern, though the interpretation of the evidence is controversial. It ought to follow that the east was less affected when the annona ceased in the early VII c. CE, except that that coincided with the invasion and occupation of most of the east by the Sasanians; very little is known, however, about the actual impact of Sasanian rule.

Older explanations for the prosperity of Syria and Palestine also appealed to the caravan trade which had been of major importance in accounting for the prosperity of Palmyra in the Principate, as we know from ample documentary evidence; the city suffered a decline when the rise of the Sasanian Empire made free passage difficult, but eight churches are now known from late antique Palmyra, one of them a very large basilica of the VI c. CE and at least one a church built in the Umayyad period. To take a further example from the north of the area, Sergiopolis (Resafa), the main center of the Ghassanid Arabs (Roman foederati), located north-east of Palmyra, was not only a major religious site, the focus of pilgrimage to the shrine of Saint Sergius, but was also located on a major caravan route which made it an important site of fairs and markets as well as religious gatherings. Finally, it has long been supposed that it was trade that gave Mecca its importance in the lifetime of Muḥammad; this has been vigorously questioned but reasserted in recent scholarship based on archaeological evidence (albeit limited). But as far as the eastern provinces are concerned, the caravan trade was only one contributor to regional prosperity in the VI c. CE when set against the broader picture revealed by amphorae and local archaeological evidence.

Church_of_Saint_Simeon_Stylites.jpg

View of the remains of the great church of the monastery of Saint Symeon the Stylite, built at Qal'at Sim'ān, (the “Fortress of Symeon”) in the Limestone Massif in northern Syria. This church (with the rank of basilica) was the largest church built in the Eastern Roman Empire during the V c. CE and was financed by emperor Zeno the Isaurian (r. 474-475 and 476-491 CE). The large church was merely the center of a huge walled monastic complex that became a main focus for pilgrims from across the Christian world, who came here to venerate the pillar unto which the famed Stylite lived.

Politically, the East in the late V c. CE was a less tranquil place than under Theodosius II and his sister Pulcheria. For a start, it had by now rulers who were much more militarized: Aspar, magister militum in 457-471 CE, strong-man for his protégé, Leo I (457–474 CE), until the augustus had him killed, and his successor Zeno (an Isaurian army officer), who became emperor in his own right (474–491 CE). Secondly, Zeno had constant trouble with rivals. The main eastern army base had remained the Balkans, but this military region was itself more unstable after the end of Hunnic power, and “barbarian” groups, mostly of Gothic/Eastern Germanic origin, were beginning to enter the empire again: two of their leaders, Theoderic Strabo and Theoderic the Amal, each of them with Roman military experience, tried under Leo I and Zeno both to gain power in Constantinople and to settle their respective peoples in a favored part of the Balkans. Zeno was himself from Isauria, a remote mountain region in what is southwestern Anatolia, and a traditional source of soldiers (and also bandits) which could be seen to an extent as in competition with the Balkans; Zeno had rivals in Isauria, too; tensions with the army thus increased when he succeeded to the throne. Indeed, for a year (475–476 CE) he was out of office, expelled by the general Basiliscus (brother-in-law to the late emperor Leo I) and he faced several revolts even after that. It was only in the late 480s CE, shortly before his death, that he managed to quell rivals, and to persuade the main warlord who survived, Theoderic the Amal, to leave with his Gothic army and occupy Italy in 489 CE. These problems meant that Zeno had no hope of intervening in the West himself, even had the fingers of the East not been burnt by the costly failure of the Vandal war in 468 CE. A substantial stability was, however, restored by Anastasius I (491-518 CE), an elderly but able career bureaucrat who lived to the age of eighty-eight and had time both to quell Isaurian revolts and to put imperial finances firmly in the black. The fact that Anastasius could do this, and without a military base either, must indicate that the eastern political system was essentially solid. The fact is that (with the exception of Zeno) the Eastern Roman emperors during the V c. CE were civilians who did not command armies in person; and this trend would continue until the last third of the VI c. CE. Even emperors who had been career military men before rising to the purple like Zeno or Justin I did rule like “civilian” emperors after their accession, and this undoubtedly contribute to the political stability of the Empire. When this trend was broken by the accession of Tiberius and Maurice in the late VI c. CE, the militarization of the Empire ended up rising the old bane of the Romans: civil war and disputed successions, which led the doors of the Empire wide open to foreign invaders. But in 500 CE this was still far in the future. The contrast with warlike Šāhān Šāhs of the V c. CE like Warahrān V or Pērōz who led their armies in the field could not be more extreme; it is almost comic trying to imagine Theodosius II or Anastasius doing likewise. And the contrast continued in the VI c. CE, as both Kawād I and Xusrō I commanded their armies in person, while Anastasius, Justin I, Justinian I and Justin II did otherwise. Paradoxically though, after the fall of Justin II, Tiberius, Maurice, Phocas and Heraclius would be true “soldier emperors” while the Sasanian Šāhān Šāhs Hormazd IV and Xusrō II never (or almost never) commanded their armies in person.

alexandrie-vue-generale-1-jc-golvin.jpg

Alexandria was still a huge city in Late Antiquity and had not shrank at all since the times of the Principate. It acted as the main node through which all Egyptian trade was conducted. This aerial view is a restitution by the French archaeologist and architect Jean Claude Golvin, looking from the Mediterranean sea (lighter blue) towards the southeast; on the background, the shallow waters of Lake Mareotis (darker blue), a saltwater lake that was connected to the Canopic arm of the Nile (the westernmost arm of the many canals in which the Nile divides in its delta) by a series of lakes and artificial canals. The two artificial harbors on Lake Mareotis received products transported down the Nile current, and they were then moved to the two large sea harbors of the city, divided by the great artificial dike (the Heptastadion) than connected the city to Pharos island. Underwater archaeological excavations (Alexandria has suffered the effects of marine regression through the centuries, and large areas of the ancient harbors are now underwater) have located the remains of large infrastructures destined to storing and loading grain on the western harbor (surprisingly, as it is by far less secure than the better protected eastern harbor, the main one) which were used to export the Egyptian annona, the grain tribute that was sent first to Rome and after 325 CE, to Constantinople. Alexandria was famous for its turbulent mobs, and for the ease with which obscure theological controversies could translate into violent riots. It was also heavily fortified and protected, but the lack of sources of fresh water inside the city (same case as Constantinople) was a key weakness. Fresh water was brought to the city by a canal (seen in the background) built during the reign of the first two Ptolemaic kings, that brought water from the Canopic arm of the Nile. If this canal was cut, the only reserves of fresh water were the cisterns fed by it that existed under the housing blocks of the city.

Although the Eastern Roman Empire was blessed with economic prosperity, demographic growth, and political stability, it experienced its internal troubles too. Perhaps the best known of them is religious. The main doctrinal controversy of Roman Christianity in the IV c. CE had been the formulation of the dogma on the Trinity, which had been established at the Council of Nicaea in 325 CE and had led to the excommunication of those who opposed it, led by Arius of Alexandria. By the V c. CE, Arianism was a spent force in the East (but not in the West, as Visigoths, Ostrogoths and Vandals were Arian), but this century was to be the century of Christological controversies. Having established the doctrine of the Trinity, now theologians began disputing about the relationship and hierarchy between the three persons of the Trinity, (i.e. Christology) and this disputes became heated enough that the Eastern Romans Emperors had to summon three ecumenical councils (I and II Ephesus, and Chalcedon). The First Council of Ephesus in 431 CE led to the deposition and excommunication of patriarch Nestorius of Constantinople, who had been accused of heresy by Patriarch Cyril of Alexandria. Although Nestorius had the support of Antioch, Cyril outmaneuvered him and enjoyed the support of Rome. Still, Nestorian theology (Dyophysitism, in proper theological language, labelled by its adversaries as “Nestorianism”) survived, especially in Syria, and found great support among the bishops of the Church of the East, which in the Synod of Acacius, convened in Vēh-Ardaxšīr in 486 CE, officially adopted the Christology of Theodore of Mopsuestia (Nestorius’ mentor) as its official doctrinal stance in this matter. In contrast, the churches of Albania, Iberia, and Armenia adhered to the canons of the First Council of Ephesus and condemned as heresy the Christological teachings of Theodore of Mopsuestia and Nestorius.

The next theological crisis was caused by Cyril of Alexandria’s teachings, as he adopted a Christological doctrine diametrically opposed to Nestorius’ line that came to be seen by many as too extreme. In 451 CE (when Cyril of Alexandria was already dead, but his teachings had taken deep root in Egypt and other parts of the East), the eastern augustus Marcian summoned another ecumenical council at Chalcedon, on the Asian side of the Bosporus just opposite Constantinople, and the Council condemned Cyril’s teachings. This caused a majority of Egyptian bishops (and as time went by, also a majority of bishops in Syria, but not in Palestine) to adhere formally to Cyril’s Christology (proper denomination: Miaphysitism, but also known as Monophysitism, although its followers reject this name). For the moment being, both sides refused to create separate ecclesiastic hierarchies, but as time went by, internecine fighting among the priesthood (with bishops and priests trying to gain support from the emperor, elites and plebs of the main cities of the East) grew and bishops were routinely expulsed and replaced by one or another faction from their sees, many times with the use (or the menace) of violence by the populace or the imperial authorities. By 500 CE, Dyophysitism had been mostly banned from the Empire, but Miaphysitism was firmly entrenched in Egypt and the Levant, and it had followers in other regions of the Empire. The ruling emperor in this year, Anastasius I, was Miaphysite, and so would be Empress Theodora, the wife of Justinian I (who as a consequence would show a considerable amount of sympathy towards Miaphysite). as a result of events in the V c. CE, religious infighting would absorb a considerable amount of time, energies and even resources of the Roman Empire during the VI-VII c. CE. The geographical divide was particularly dangerous, as it introduced an element in the social and political system of the Egyptian and Levantine provinces that could lessen their support to the Roman state.

Church_of_Turmanin.png

Sketch of the church of Turmanin, built ca. 480 CE in the village of the same name, one of the villages of the Limestone Massif in northern Syria.

As the V and VI c. CE went by, the Roman Empire identified itself more and more with “Orthodoxy”, understood as adherence to the canons approved at the Councils of Nicaea (325 CE), I Constantinople (381 CE), I Ephesus (431 CE) and Chalcedon (451 CE), all of which were accepted and supported by the episcopal sees of Rome, Constantinople, Carthage and Jerusalem. This identification with Orthodoxy brought about not only growing intolerance against “heretical” Christians, but also against non-Christians. In the V c. CE it was still possible to find pagans in the Eastern Empire, even in high positions of power, but they became increasingly rare during the VI c. CE. And the Roman state also began to issue laws and decrees that were clearly discriminatory (even persecutory) in their nature against Jews and Samaritans. The trend had already manifested itself as early as the reign of Theodosius I, but it would become especially strong during the reign of Justinian I, and would reach its zenith during the reign of Heraclius, who decreed that all the Jews of the Empire had to be baptized, and those who refused would face death, slavery and losing their children. In this respect, the Roman Empire of the V-VII c. CE became ever more different from the Sasanian Empire, were the court of the Šāhān Šāh practiced tolerance of other faiths (except for Manichaeism and after Kawād I’s “experiment”, also Zaraduštism) provided that their followers and priests or ministers acknowledged the superiority of Zoroastrianism as the official faith of Ērānšahr.

The Jewish diaspora is attested all over the eastern empire in synagogues and inscriptions. In Palestine itself a considerable Jewish population existed in the sixth century and on the eve of Islam, centered on Galilee and the Golan and with Tiberias as its main intellectual and religious center. Some synagogues went out of use by the mid-VI c. CE, but many others continued to function until the early VII c. CE. The astonishing richness of synagogue mosaics, which are still being revealed and interpreted, indicates a confident Jewish life in the context of the increasing pre-ponderance of Christians. Nevertheless, as I stated above, imperial legislation was becoming more intolerant by the VI c. CE. It has even been suggested been suggested that the growing influence of imperial Christianity acted as a stimulus to others to crystallize their own religious identity. The Jewish patriarchate had been first limited in 415 CE and then abolished, and Justinian I’s legislation on the subject of Jews is distinctly negative. Jews had been the subject of hostility, and Judaism the target of stylized refutation in Christian apologetic writing, since as early as the II c. CE, and were often depicted as malevolent and dangerous in saints’ lives and other kinds of Christian writing. This tendency intensified as time went on and reached a peak in the period of the Sasanian and Arab invasions when Christian writers blamed the Jews of Palestine for helping the invaders and participating in the killing of Christians.

The attitude of the imperial authorities towards Samaritans was even worse: they had their main cult center on Mount Gerizim, and Emperor Zeno built a church of the Theotokos (the Mother of God, in Greek) on the site of their sacred precinct. Subjected to imperial repression, they rose up repeatedly in the V and VI c. CE; the uprisings were harshly put down, and Procopius of Caesarea claimed that Justinian I “converted the Samaritans for the most part to a more pious way of life and has made them Christians”.

Flavius_palmatus.jpg

Statue of Flavius Palmatus, a high-ranking governor (proconsul of Asia, "vir consularis"). Found in Aphrodisias in Caria and dated to the V c. CE.

The second element of weakness of the Empire in 500 CE was the state of the army. The surprise invasion of Kawād I in 502-503 CE met the Roman border defenses completely unprepared, and from the accounts it becomes clear that neither the troops were trained and in fighting conditions, nor due care had been taken of the fortifications of cities. During the last century, most of the military activity had happened in the Balkans and the West, and the eastern defenses had been neglected. Although we lack any document comparable to the Notitia Dignitatum for the time frame around 500 CE, and Procopius of Caesarea was no soldier (he was Belisarius’ personal secretary), it is though that the military organization of the Roman Empire in the East must have been quite similar (on paper) to that shown in the Notitia Dignitatum, with an army divided between limitanei and mobile forces, and in the east the limitanei posted in fortified cities (as had been done since the times of Constantius II) and the mobile armies organized into four large mobile armies commanded by magistri in Thrace, the East and two Praesentalis armies that were usually located near Constantinople. Smaller forces would have been at the command of commanders of lesser rank (duces, etc.) in Egypt, Palestine and maybe Armenia; the small force of 2,000 men that used to control Isauria seems to have been disbanded during the V c. CE. Illyricum had been divided in 395 CE between East and West, with its field army being allocated to the West; it is unknown if the Easter Roman Empire rebuilt it on its own part of Illyricum during the V c. CE. It seems also clear that the Eastern Roman army (on top of the usual resource to foederati and foreign allies) had come to rely more and more on mercenaries and/or foreign recruits. After the utter devastation of the Hunnic invasions of the V c. CE, Illyricum and Thrace had ceased to be the recruiting grounds of the Roman army they had been since the III c. CE.

During the first decades of the V c. CE, same as in the Western Empire, in the East the army became “barbarized”, mainly with Germans (Goths, Heruli, etc.) and Alans, although in the East it was possible to avoid the formation of private armies led by ambitious Germanic warlords/kings, and the Roman state always retained its overall control over the army. The reign of Leo I marked the beginning of a process to “de-Germanize” the army, by resorting to the massive recruit of Isaurians. The Isaurians were an indigenous people who spoke an Indo-European language related to Luwian (a member of the extinct Anatolian language group, like Hittite) and lived in a very rugged mountainous area in the south of Anatolia, neighboring the regions of Lycaonia to the north and Pamphylia to the south. The Isaurians did not undergo Hellenization nor Romanization, and retained their tribal structure and warlike character, and from the III c. CE onwards they regularly raided the neighboring settled provinces of Anatolia, ultimately forcing Diocletian to detach there two “small” 1,000-men legion (Legio I Isauria and Legio II Isauria) to control them. Leo I opened the doors of the imperial army to them as soldiers, and to their tribal chiefs as officers; such was the origin of his successor, Emperor Zeno. This caused disturbances in the army as magister militum Aspar (of Alan heritage) disliked the massive entry of Isaurians into the army, and so he supported the military plot that forced Zeno to flee Constantinople after his first year of reign, installing as augustus Basiliscus. Eventually Zeno returned, besieged, and took the capital and Aspar, Basiliscus and all of the latter’s family were executed. Zeno’s recovery of the throne ended the era of Germanic/Alan dominance of the eastern military. The Romans kept recruiting men from the peoples beyond the Danube and signing treaties with them as foederati, but they were careful of not allowing these “northern barbarians” become too powerful again, by carefully dividing and distributing them across the Empire, and avoiding any large concentration of troops that could have any loyalty other than to the Roman state. As will be seen in the thread, the Roman army during the VI c. came to rely ever more on small groups of selected Hunnic or Germanic troops that acted intermixed with “regular Roman” troops; the Roman armies of the VI-VII c. CE became more mixed than in any other time before.

Leo_I_Louvre.jpg

Marble bust of emperor Leo I the Thracian (r. 457-464 CE).

In times of danger though, the imperial government had to qualms about paying considerable amounts of money to foreign kings to recruit them to fight for their cause, especially the nomadic peoples of the Pontic-Caspian Steppe, who due to their situation were well located to attack the Sasanians directly or cross into Roman territory via Lazica and join the imperial armies. This was not an exclusive Roman tactic, and the Sasanians quickly resorted to it too, with both powers competing to offer better pay and conditions to Alans, Sabirs, Onoğurs, Saragurs, etc., to enlist these peoples as auxiliaries. Although these practices guaranteed a considerable degree of tactic flexibility to the Roman army (by securing the availability of large numbers of well-trained cavalrymen) the increased heterogeneity and in some cases the lack of reliability of these groups could pose serious difficulties to the Empire. It also left the Romans dependent on unpredictable political developments outside the Roman borders; the instability of these “barbarians” polities meant that in a short space of time the Romans could witness how their main sources of foreign recruits dried up suddenly; or worse: they could turn against the Empire. Good diplomats like Justinian I could control this complex situation with a crafty mix of subsidies, diplomacy and armed reprisals, but this was an unpopular policy within the Empire (as it usually happened whenever “tribute to barbarians” had to be paid) and while emperors who were secure on their throne could pursue it, weaker ones could run considerable risks by embracing it.

The only Roman foederati who turned out to be stable enough and to provide a relatively secure border for the Romans were the Arabs in the Syrian and North Arabian deserts. During the V c. CE, the Arab group that fulfilled this role were the Salīḥids, who replaced the Tanukhids, who had fulfilled this role during the previous century. The Arabian limes was not completely at peace during the V c. CE; on top of the two “regular” Roman-Sasanian wars that happened in this century, there were also raids and attacks from Arab tribal groupings that came from Arabia, as well as Lakhmid attacks that happened in an “irregular” way while both empire were officially at peace but for some reason the ruling Šāhān Šāh wanted to convey his displeasure to the Roman augustus. Incidentally, these Arab raids also played a part in the progressive worsening of relations between Rome and Ērānšahr during the reigns of Pērōz and Kawād I that led finally to open war, and so I will describe them in more detail in the following post.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Neat post, makes sense to start with the context of the Roman Empire's situation in the V century CE before we cover the devastating Roman-Sassanian rivalry later on, looking forward to the updates covering the Sasanians in this time period.

• 1Like
Reactions:
first of all: post for notifications
second of all: yes, finally, good primary sources, I promised I wouldn't cry
third of all: honestly, don't feel bad about including the romans, 1: this is honestly the best summary I've ever had about the romans, 2: spoilers I guess, the roman-sassanid rivalry is at the heart of why the sassanids fell

also if anybody wants to learn how to make some parthian chicken

• 1Like
Reactions:
4.2. THE ROOTS OF THE ANASTASIAN WAR.
4.2. THE ROOTS OF THE ANASTASIAN WAR.

The Anastasian War that broke a long century of peace (more or less) between both empires in the Middle East was an act of naked Sasanian aggression, in which Kawād I attacked the Roman Empire taking its eastern defenses mostly unprepared and by surprise. There had been no direct, immediate provocation on the Roman part: no building of new fortresses on the border, no support to Caucasian rebels (Armenians, Iberians and Albanians were quiet, for a change), no meddling or bribing of Transcaucasian tribes to attack Ērānšahr, nothing at all. This unprovoked attack though had its reasons other than simple warmongering; he had reasons for this change in policy, which I will classify in two blocks: short-term and long-term ones.

The short-term reason is stated clearly in contemporary sources like Joshua the Stylite and Procopius of Caesarea: money. Kawād I needed money urgently with which to repay the Hephthalites for their assistance in recovering his throne and presumably, to pay them the tribute that they had probably been collecting since 484 CE. And as we have seen, the eastern provinces of the Roman Empire were rich and prosperous after a long century of peace and stability, and their defenses were in disarray, while the Sasanians (even after their devastating defeats against the Hephthalites) had a potent and warlike army, that had spent the whole century in an almost constant state of war against dangerous foes in their eastern and northern borders. The Roman East was a tempting prize.

The Syriac Chronicle attributed to Joshua the Stylite, XIX-XX:
Balâsh then, because he had no money to maintain his troops, was despised in their eyes. The priesthood too hated him, because he was trying to abolish their laws, and wishing to build baths in the cities for bathing; and when they saw that he was not counted aught in the eyes of his troops, they took him and blinded him, and set up in his stead Kawâd, son of his brother Pêrôz, whose name we have mentioned above, who was left as a hostage among the Huns, and who it was that stirred up the war with the Greeks, because they did not give him money. For he sent ambassadors, and a large elephant as a present to the emperor, that he might send him money. But before the ambassadors reached Antioch in Syria, Zênôn died, and Anastasius became emperor after him. When the Persian ambassador informed his master Kawâd of this change in the Greek government, he sent him word to go up with diligence and to demand the customary money, or else to say to the emperor, “Take war”.
And so, instead of speaking words of peace and salutation, as he ought to have done, and of rejoicing with him on the commencement of the soverainty which had been newly granted him by God, he irritated the mind of the believing emperor Anastasius with threatening words. But when he heard his boastful language, and learned about his evil conduct, and that he had reestablished the abominable sect of the magi which is called that of the Zarâdushtakân, (which teaches that women should be in common, and that every one should have connexion with whom he pleases), and that he had wrought harm to the Armenians who were under his sway, because they would not worship fire, he despised him, and did not send him the money, but sent him word, saying, “As Zênôn, who reigned before me, did not send it, so neither will I send it, until thou restorest to me Nisibis; for the wars are not trifling which I have to carry on with the barbarians who are called the Germans, and with those who are called the Blemyes, and with many others: and I will not neglect the Greek troops and feed thine”.

Procopius of Caesarea, History of the Wars – Book I: The Persian War, VII:
A little later Cabades was owing the king of the Hephthalites a sum of money which he was not able to pay him, and he therefore requested the Roman emperor Anastasius to lend him this money. Whereupon Anastasius conferred with some of his friends and enquired of them whether this should be done; and they would not permit him to make the loan. For, as they pointed out, it was inexpedient to make more secure by means of their money the friendship between their enemies and the Hephthalites; indeed it was better for the Romans to disturb their relations as much as possible. It was for this reason, and for no just cause, that Cabades decided to make an expedition against the Romans.

The long-term reasons are more complex, but they could be resumed thus: since the reign of Pērōz, relations between the courts of Constantinople and Ctesiphon had been worsening slowly but steadily by due to a series of incidents:

Repeated Roman negatives to pay “subsidies” for the upkeep of the Caucasian passes. As we saw in the previous chapter, this was probably one of the points agreed in the peace treaty between Warahrān V and Theodosius II, and the Roman practice of interrupting payments without warning and resuming them when they felt like it (a deliberate tactic so that the Roman augusti could plausibly deny that regular tribute of any sort was being paid to the Sasanians) were a source of constant irritation for the court of Ctesiphon, especially considering that these passes were under considerable pressure during most of the V c. CE. It also deprived the Sasanian court of their claim of universal suzerainty, as they could not portray the Romans as tributaries; in a time when the defeats in the East put in question the very ideological foundations of Ērānšahr, this Roman practice only worsened an already bad situation for the Sasanian kings. Pērōz had also asked Zeno for monetary help to fight the Hephthalites (and perhaps also to pay his own rescue and that of his son) and Zeno had refused in each case (according to Joshua the Stylite). Undoubtedly, this soured the relationship between both empires.

Solidus_Anastasius_I_01.jpg

Gold solidus of Anastasius I, struck ca. 498 CE. Obverse: D(-ominus) N(-oster) ANASTASIVS P(-ius) P(-erpetuus) AVG(-ustus), Reverse: VICTORIA AVGGG(-usti). Mint of Constantinople.

The other source of friction concerned the Arab allies of both empires. While the Lakhmid kingdom of al-Ḥīra was a stable polity ruled by a reliable dynasty, the same could not be said of the Arab fœderati of the Romans. As the Arabs will keep gaining importance in this story as the thread goes on, I will detail in some length their activities during the V c. CE and how they ended up being another contributing factor for the worsening relations between both empires. I will be following here loosely Irfan Shahīd work Byzantium and the Arabs in the Fifth Century.

The reign of Arcadius in the East (395-408 CE) saw the rise of the Salīḥids, wo replaced the Tanūkhids (who had lost their status as the main Arab fœderati of Rome early in the reign of Theodosius I) as the main Arab Roman fœderati in Syria and Palestine. It should be made clear though that the Tanūkhids remained as Roman clients and allies, but they were not enjoying now a predominant position. The tale of the appearance of this new Arab group is told by Sozomen, who attributed their alliance to the Romans to the conversion to Christianity of their childless chief, Zokomos (Zόxoμoς; which was identified by the German scholar Alfred von Gutschmid in the XIX c. with a certain Ḍuj’um that appears in Arabic sources), who (allegedly) was able to begot a son thanks to the prayers of a Christian monk. Hence this tribe is also known as Zokomids by some scholars. Interestingly, when talking about the Salīḥids and Zokomos, Sozomen used for the first time the term phylarch (φύλαρχος; phúlarkhos) to refer to the latter. This early in time, it was used simply as a synonym of “tribal chief” but later this term came to mean a royal term bestowed by the Emperor in Constantinople onto the “king” of his Arab fœderati, and as such, a very prestigious and sought after title. Other than the prestige itself, it also entitled its owner to receive the gold payments that the Romans disbursed to their fœderati Arabs and distribute it between his followers as he deemed appropriate, thus enabling him to build a large network of clients and cementing his power among the loosely tied Arab tribes.

Unlike the hated and feared Germanic/Gothic fœderati that had inflicted so much damage and humiliation to the Romans since 378 CE, the Arabs were seen as “reliable” fœderati, and probably were seen with sympathy by the “public opinion” in Constantinople. After the Roman disaster at Adrianople, it had been the fœderati Arabs of Queen Mavia who had defeated the Goths when they were marching against the eastern capital, thus sparing the city on the Bosporus from a dangerous situation. Plus, their staunchly Orthodox stance won them the support of the official church, who despised the Goths and other East Germanic peoples for their adherence to Arianism. In Arabic sources, the Salīḥids were known for their religious zeal throughout their time span as fœderati and after their fall, well into the Muslim period. They were specially supportive of monastic Christianity, and Saint Simeon the Stylite was especially venerated by Arab Roman allies during the V c. CE.

Shahīd adds that in the anonymous hagiography Vita Sanctae Pelagiae it is said that during the first half of the V c. CE around thirty thousand “Saracens” were baptized by bishop Nonnus of Heliopolis, in the province of Phoenice Libanensis (or Phoenice Secunda), and the Notitia Dignitatum lists two units of “Saracens” posted in Phoenice Libanensis during this period. In Shahīd’s opinion, this group of Arabs cannot have been the Salīḥids, because according to Sozomen they were converted by a monk, not a bishop. Despite the fact that it is practically impossible to identify them, this notice attests to the strong Arab presence in this eastern province and the growing importance of Christianity among Arabs.

According to Sozomen (who wrote probably during the 450s CE) the Salīḥids became “formidable” against the Sasanians “and to the Saracens as well” in the two Roman-Sasanian wars of the V c. CE and in the great “barbarian” incursion” suffered by the Roman East in 410 CE as reported by Jerome. This invasion was strong and wide-ranging enough to attack the whole of the Limes Arabicus from Circesium on the Euphrates to the Gulf of Aqaba on the Red Sea and managed to break through the Roman defenses at least in Palestine, where Bethlehem (where Jerome had settled) was occupied by them. Jerome does not offer any details about the identity of these “barbarians” although the modern scholarly consensus is that they were Arabs, but the scope of the assault leaves only three possible candidates:
  • The Lakhmids. They could have done so, but in 410 CE under Yazdegerd I Ērānšahr was at peace with the Romans and both empires enjoyed good diplomatic relations.
  • The Banū Kalb. They were a powerful tribal group that stretched from Palmyra to the northern Ḥijāz, and they were related to the Tanūkhids, who had felt out of favor with the Romans. They could have undertaken such a powerful raid in reprisal for the Roman decision of conferring the former status of the Tanūkhids to the Salīḥids. The tension between these two rival Arab groups would last until the end of the V c. CE.
  • Or it could have been an unnamed ad hoc conglomerate of tribes displaced by drought and lack of pastures from their traditional pastoral lands in the Syrian and north Arabian deserts, as it has happened regularly in this part of the world since the dawn of history.
As for the Roman-Sasanian war of 421-422 CE, Shahīd points out one interesting point. According to one of the surviving fragments of Malchus of Philadelphia, one of the points of the peace treaty that ended this war stated that neither power should receive the Arab allies of the other, Shahid links this with the notice in other sources (view previous thread for more information in this respect) that one of the reasons for the war was that Theodosius II had granted asylum to “Christian refugees” from Ērānšahr, and hypothesizes that maybe these allies were Arabs, as Christianity was becoming widespread even among the Arabs who were nominally allied with or subjected to the rule of the Sasanian kings, even venturing his opinion that these fugitive Arabs probably belonged to the Iyād group. Such defections of Arab groups from one master to another were commonplace, and a repeated factor during Late Antiquity. The Tanūkhids themselves had been originally an Arab group subjected to the Sasanians before switching allegiances, and as we have seen the Lakhmids defected twice (first from the Sasanians to the Arabs and then back into Sasanian service) during the first half of the IV c. CE. Shahīd also pointed out that in some Arabic sources it is stated that the Salīḥids themselves also dwelled in Sasanian Mesopotamia before moving into Roman territory.

Church_Amman_citadel.jpg

Remains of a Late Roman church in the citadel of Amman (Jordan), ancient Philadelphia.

In this war, as we saw in the previous thread, the Lakhmid Arabs, clients of the Sasanians, played an important role, led by their king al-Munḏir I. As we also saw in the previous thread, according to Ṭabarī the Lakhmids and their king played a key role in securing the throne for Warahrān V, and so al-Munḏir I would have been an influential character in the court of this Šāhān Šāh, influential enough that he disposed (according to Ṭabarī) of two elite cavalry “regiments” (perhaps organized in the manner of the Iranian 1,000-men gund), named al-Shahbā’ and al-Dawsar. Shahīd speculated that as al-Munḏir I was a pagan (the Lakhmid kings of al-Ḥīra remained pagan until the late VI c. CE) he could have been moved by an “anti-Christian” sentiment in this war, but personally I am quite skeptical in this respect, as probably many of his subjects were Christian. What I fins more possible is that the fact he was not Christian reinforced his loyalty towards the House of Sāsān, and his bellicosity against Rome; and his support for Warahrān V (whom he had helped to put on the Sasanian throne recently against important resistance among the Iranian nobility and clergy) meant that as this was the first war in the young king’s reign, he had a vested interest in Warahrān V being victorious, because if he was defeated it could be possible that he would be dethroned, and if this came to happen, then al-Munḏir, as one of his main supporters, would also feel the consequences.

According to Socrates of Constantinople, al-Munḏir I led a deep raid behind the Roman lines, aimed ambitiously at taking Antioch, the capital of Roman Levant, that ended in a defeat with heavy losses for the Lakhmids. Shahīd speculated that the strategic thinking behind al-Munḏir I's plan may be inferred from a comparison with an analogous situation that occurred in 531 CE, when another Munḏir planned the strategy of the Sasanian campaign that culminated in the battle of Callinicum, between the Sasanian raiding force and a superior Roman army commanded by Belisarius. The account of Procopius of Caesarea makes clear that this Munḏir recommended a direct attack on Antioch in Syria because Roman Mesopotamia was well fortified and garrisoned, while Syria was not. So, Shahīd thought that his forebear al-Munḏir I, of the war of 421-422 CE, may have recommended a similar course on similar grounds. In this case, this offensive might have been a diversionary move designed to relieve pressure on the main Sasanian royal army engaged in the north at Nisibis by the Roman magister militum Ardaburius.

Dioecesis_Orientis_400_AD.png

Administrative divisions of the Diœcesis Orientis during the V-VI c. CE.

As I have written above, one of the clauses of the peace treaty of 422 CE between Theodosius Ii and Warahrān V stated that neither side would accept the Arab fugitives of the other side. Shahīd also pointed something else: that this clause of the peace treaty that ended the 421-422 CE war benefitted mainly the Sasanians, as almost all the cases of Arab “defection” stated above happened in a single direction (i.e. from the Iranians to the Romans), and that it should be interpreted as a Roman concession.

Shahīd questioned why the Sasanian court insisted on the non-acceptance by the Romans of her own Arab allies. According to Shahīd, this defection was hurting the Sasanian cause in many ways. It is possible (as we have seen above) that the powerful tribal group Iyād migrated or defected at this time and Shahîd thought that that their new allegiance to the Romans was one of the causes for the Lakhmid disaster on the Euphrates. The defection of the lyād and other tribal groups would have been damaging to Sasanian interests because they were well informed about the defensive arrangements of Ērānšahr and about its overall forces and military plans; and what is worse, they had relatives and friends among the Arabs of the Sasanian Empire.

According to Sozomen, the chief defector was a certain Aspebetos, who had been a high-ranking military official in Sasanian service; Shahīd attributes his defection to a supposed anti-Christian persecution in Ērānšahr that would have flared up after the murder of Yazdegerd I in 420 CE; personally I don not agree with his opinion; as we saw in the previous thread, this supposed persecution is only attested in Roman sources, but not in East Syriac or Armenian ones. The magister militum per Orientem, Anatolius, received him well and endowed him with the post of phylarch of the province of Arabia. The fame as a miraculous healer of Saint Euthymius in the Jordan Valley attracted Aspebetos’ attention, and the saint succeeded in curing his son, Terebon. As a result he and his followers were baptized (which undermines even more Shahīd’s hypothesis that he had fled a supposed persecution of Christians in Ērānšahr). At a later date he was deemed worthy of the episcopate and was consecrated by Patriarch Juvenal of Jerusalem around 427 CE. Aspebetos started a line of phylarchs, who are attested as late as the middle of the VI c. CE in Palestine.

The figure of Aspebetos has raised a certain controversy among scholars since the XIX c. This is due to the fact that the name Aspebetos is clearly the Greek transliteration of the MP military rank of Spāhbed, but many scholars have historically assumed that such a high-ranking title was only given to Iranians in the Sasanian Empire (this is wrong by the way, because some Armenian nobles received it) and so they assumed that this character must have been an Iranian. But the Roman authors are noticeably clear on this point: he was a “Saracen” and he ruled over “Saracens”. Plus, as Shahīd points out, the name of his son “Terebon” although obscured by its Greek transliteration, has no clear Iranian etymology, and must be almost without doubt an Arabic name.

As Shahīd pointed out, when the defector happened to be someone of the stature and influence of Aspebetos, Sasanian sensitivity in the clauses of the peace treaty becomes even more understandable. As a high-ranking officer in the Sasanian army, he may have been privy to information which the court of Ctesiphon would not want him to share with the Romans. As to the question of what value rebellious allies were to the Sasanians, it is not clear from the clause whether Theodosius II was to return them to Ērānšahr.

map-middle-east-6th-century.jpg

Map of the Middle East during the VI c. CE, showing the location of the main Arab kingdoms and tribes. Notice the location and extension of the Kingdom of Kindah in central Arabia. Having been founded in the II c. BCE, by then it was more than 600 years old. It had been originally founded by the Ḥimyarite kingdom in Yemen to police the trans-Arabian caravan routes and defend Ḥimyarite interests in the area. The Kindites kept a close relationship with the Ḥimyarites, and it is possible that when the latter converted to Judaism in the late V c. CE the Kindites followed in their steps. They kept a bitter rivalry with the Lakhmids, and this was to be exploited by the Romans.

The second Roman-Sasanian war of the V c. CE was an even shorter and less important affair and happened in 440-442 CE, twenty years after the first one, at the beginning of the reign of Yazdegerd II, and with Theodosius II still reigning in Constantinople. This war is far worse attested in the sources, at least as far as Arabs’ involvement is concerned. That they took part in it is clarified only by two sources: Marcellinus Comes, who stated that “Saracens” were amongst the invaders, and Isaac of Antioch, according to whom Sasanian Arabs attacked and laid waste the Roman city of Beth Hur in the vicinity of Nisibis. We know nothing at all about the identity of these invaders; although Shahīd guessed they were Lakhmids. He further added that in 440 CE the Lakhmid king al-Munḏir I was still alive and that he may have wanted to avenge his defeat of twenty years before. But in my opinion Shahīd went too far in his guesses when he attributed the start of the war to the Lakhmids. As a matter of fact, as he himself admitted there is not even clear evidence that the Lakhmids (who were based in southern Mesopotamia) had time to reach the war theater in northern Mesopotamia before the short war was over, and there were in that part of the border other Arab groups allied to the Sasanians who could have been responsible for the raid described by Isaac of Antioch.

One of the fragments that have survived by Priscus of Panium describes the plight of the Romans in their negotiations with Attila in 447 CE, that is, after the Huns appeared south of the Danube and before the treaty of 448 CE. Priscus enumerates the peoples who were either taking up arms or threatening the empire. In addition to the Vandals, Isaurians, and Ethiopians, there is mention of the Arabs and a guarded reference to the Sasanians. The first are described as "ravaging the Eastern parts of their dominions”, while the Sasanians are described as "preparing for hostilities”. Shahīd notes that Yazdegerd II had abided by the peace treaty of 442 CE and had even moved his residence to the northeast of his empire (probably to Gorgān, as we saw in the previous thread) to pursue his war against the Kidarite Huns. To which I would add that frictions in the volatile Armenian border cannot have caused problems in 447 CE either, as the Armenian rebellion of Vardan did not start until three years later. Shahīd thought that the reason for the problems between Romans and Iranians in 447 CE might have been the Roman’s lateness with the payment of “subsidies” for the upkeep and defense of the Caucasian passes, and that this lateness would have been caused by Attila’s “exorbitant” demands of Roman gold. But as I noted in the previous post, the payments disbursed by the court of Constantinople to Attila were actually quite modest ones. We do not know how much the Romans paid as “subsidy” to the Sasanians for the upkeep and defense of the Caucasian passes in the V c. CE, but if we take as a guide the payments disbursed in the VI c. CE by Anastasius, Justin I and Justinian I to Kawād I and Xusrō I, they cannot have been that high either, compared to the monstrous amount spent in the fiasco of 468 CE against the Vandals. In my opinion, the reason for the lateness in the payments was political. With the imperial armies humiliated in the Balkans and the court of Constantinople begging Attila for peace at any price, the last thing that Theodosius II, Pulcheria and their ministers would have wanted is to be seen at the same time as tributaries to the Sasanians. Again Shahīd thought that the Lakhmids were the most likely candidates for raids conducted in 447 CE (al-Munḏir I would have been still alive), and that another possible candidate could have been the Kindites (from the tribal Kingdom of Kindah in central Arabia which had been founded in the II c. BCE), whose adventurous king Ḥujr was active in North Arabia toward the middle of the V c. CE.

The next incident in the Limes Arabicus happened during the reign of Marcian (r. 450-457 CE), and is recorded in another of the surviving fragments by Priscus:

Priscus of Panium, Fragment 20 (from the Excerpts on Foreigners’ Embassies to the Romans of Constantine VII Porphyrogenites):
Ardabourios, son of Aspar, was fighting a war against the Saracens around Damascus and, when Maximinos the general and Priscus the historian arrived there, they found him in discussions with the Saracen ambassadors concerning peace.

Shahīd noticed that this seemingly innocuous passage implies important developments in the central part of the Arabian limes. That Ardaburius was fighting the Arabs and negotiating with them suggests that the encounter was important enough to be worthy of the personal attention of the magister militum per Orientem himself, and that the Arabs involved were worth the time he was spending on the negotiations. His negotiating with them also suggests that they were not a band of marauding “Saracens” who had been beaten off the limes and presented no further problem for the military administration of the East, but that they were sufficiently important to induce the magister to engage in peace negotiations that entailed their sending ambassadors for that purpose. Shahīd also hypothesized if this Arab raid could have been related to the mass conversion of 30,000 Arabs accounted for in the Vita Sanctae Pelagiae (see above) and to the two “Saracen” units posted in the province of Phoenice Libanensis according to the Notitia Dignitatum (the province where Damascus was located).

Unfortunately, Priscus does not identify the Arabs involved in this encounter or, if he did, the identification has not survived in the fragment. Shahīd thought it unlikely that they were the Lakhmids. Their overlord, Yazdegerd II, was busy during these years with the Armenian revolt and the war against the Kidarites, so it is unlikely that he would have authorized a raid by his Lakhmid clients that risked opening another front against the Romans. Their king al-Munḏir I was getting old and would die in 462 CE, after a long reign which had begun in 418 CE. By elimination, the Arabs referred to are more likely to have been one of the two groups who were restless and in motion in this period in north Arabia; either the Kindites or the Ghassānids, probably the former.

For the same timeframe, Nicephorus Callistus (a late source, as he wrote during the early XIV c.) recorded a military operation against the Arabs, during the disturbances that broke out in Palestine when the Miaphysites chased Patriarch Juvenal, out of Jerusalem. Dorotheus, the commander who was conducting the military operation, was forced to recross the Jordan and hurry back to Jerusalem. Nicephorus is precise in giving the name of the commander who battled the Arabs and the location of the military operation: Moabitis, in the east bank of the Jordan River.

Dorotheus’ rank was comes et dux Palæstinae, which meant that he was in charge of military operations in the three Palestines. This particular operation against raiding Arabs must have been in Palæstina Tertia or Salutaris, since Moabitis was within this division of tripartite Palestine, lying to the southeast of the Dead Sea. Whether the dux of the adjacent province of Arabia was also involved is not clear, but he could have been. One of the cities of Moabitis, Areopolis, is listed in the Notitia Dignitatum as belonging not to Palestine but to the province of Arabia. So the operations against the Arabs in Moabitis may have involved the duces of the two provinces, Palestine, and Arabia, and Dorotheus may have found it possible to rush back to Jerusalem because he could depend on his fellow dux of Arabia to continue the conduct of the military operation against the “Saracens”. Finally, Shahīd states the impossibility of identifying the invading Arabs with more precision; especially if the attack coincided in time with the raids that forced the magister militum Ardaburius to intervene in Phoenice Libanensis, and if this was the case, if they belonged to the same tribal group or if they had formed some sort of alliance against the Romans.

800px-Kamal-ud-din_Bihzad_001.jpg

Page from an illuminated XV c. Persian manuscript depicting the building of the al-Khornaq Castle in al-Ḥīra

During the reign of Leo I the Thracian (r. 457-474 CE), events in the Limes Arabicus are dominated by the figure of the Arab chief Amorkesos, probably yet another defector from the Sasanians. His story is known through the surviving fragments of Malchus of Philadelphia, who was unable to hide his dislike for this Arab warlord. The traditional view has been that Amorkesos is the Greek version of Arabic Imru' al-Qays, a well-known pre-Islamic personal name. Accordingly, the Amorkesos is of Malchus could have been one of various personages of that name during this period. Shahid rules out that he could have been the Lakhmid prince of the same name, who was the father of the Lakhmid king al-Munḏir that appears in Procopius of Caesarea’s writings. Another possibility is that he was the Imru' al-Qays that appears in Arabic sources as a member of the Ghassānids group; he is named in these sources as bitrīq (“patrician”), and Malchus’ Amorkesos received this rank from Leo I, and these sources also give him a Sasanian background. Ancient Arabic sources also show that the Ghassānids had lingered in al-Ḥīra and in Lakhmid territory before they crossed over to the Romans, plus the sources for the Lakhmids mention for this period a civil war or strife involving the Lakhmids and the Ghassānids within the camp of the pro-Sasanian Arabs, which ended in a Lakhmid victory. This could make Imru' al-Qays' change of masters intelligible.

But that is not the only possibility: Greek Amorkesos could be the transliteration of an Arabic name other than Imru' al-Qays. In the sources for the history of al-Ḥīra there is reference to a certain 'Abd al-Masīḥ, who is described as "son of 'Amr, son of Kays". The segment of this genealogical line 'Amr, son of Kays could have been transliterated from Arabic into Greek as Amorkesos. Supporting this view is the fact that this historical personage was a Ghassānid, who thus could have left the service of the Sasanians after a quarrel with the Lakhmids, the dominant Arab group in al-Ḥīra in the service of Ērānšahr. Against this view is the fact that this personage is the father of 'Abd al-Masīḥ according to the genealogists, and since 'Abd al-Masīḥ was alive in the thirties of the VII c. CE, 'Amr would have been a VI, not a V c. CE figure. However, Shahīd points out that 'Abd al-Masīḥ, according to the Arab historians, was one of the Mu'ammarūn (macrobiotes in Greek), who lived inordinately long lives. If he lived well over a hundred years, 'Amr son of Kays, his father, could have been active in the second half of the V c. CE. Shahīd also adds that there is a further consideration which argues in favor of Greek Amorkesos being 'Amr, son of Kays. In a rare mood, the Greek source mentions not only the name of the Arab chief but also his clan affiliation, Nokalios. 'Abd al-Masīḥ is referred to in the Arabic sources as belonging to the clan or tribe of Bukayla or Bukaila/Buqayla, a clan within the larger Ghassānid tribal group.

What actually motivated Amorkesos to change sides and opt for the Romans is not clear. Malchus of Philadelphia gave two possible explanations: either because he had not attained an honorable position in Sasanian service or because he thought that life with the Romans was better than with the Sasanians and, consequently, that he would do better in Roman territory. Neither explanation is convincing in Shahīd’s opinion; the first seems hardly credible considering his exploits (that imply that he was a resourceful leader), which would have been usefully employed among in Sasanian service. The second explanation is too vague and general to be informative. But knowledge of the history of the Sasanian Arabs in this period, especially of the Lakhmids and al-Ḥīra and their relations with their overlords, could throw light on the motives of Amorkesos in changing sides. Shahīd offered two possible explanations that are not mutually exclusive:
  • Al-Ḥīra, the capital of the Lakhmids, was tribally a composite city inhabited by many groups of Arabs, although the Lakhmids, who ruled the city, were dominant. It is possible that there was friction between the group of Amorkesos, the Ghassānids, and the Lakhmids or one of the other tribal groups in the city. Indeed, the sources speak of the strife between the Lakhmid king, al-Aswad, and the Ghassānids and their massacre by him. These sources also speak of friction between the Ghassānids, especially the tribe of Banū Buqayla, and that of the powerful Tamīm group of 'Adī ibn Zayd. Such bitter internal strife in al-Ḥīra could easily have induced the Ghassānid chief to leave in search of greener pastures.
  • Or the alleged religious intolerance of the Sasanians, who would have frowned upon conversions to Christianity among their client Arab groups. I will not repeat here my objections to this explanation; I find it quite objectionable.
The date for Amorkesos’ defection to Roman territory is probably to be dated to the early 460s CE. In 464 CE, the Sasanian king Pērōz had complained to the court of Constantinople about the Roman reception of Arab fugitives, in open breach of the peace treaty that stood between both empires; this was probably a reference to Amorkesos. Given his difficulties in the East, the last thing that Pērōz would have wanted is to have some Arab tribes raising trouble in the West. But when Amorkesos left Ḥīra, he did not go directly to Roman territory, as he was probably aware that this would have been an open breach of the treaty, and so he wandered for some years across the northern Arabian desert, finally settling in norther Ḥijāz, as far away from the Sasanian border as he could reach but still close to Roman territory. This way, when he entered Roman-controlled lands, he could present himself as a newcomer from Arabia, and not as a fugitive from the Sasanians.

Sergiopolis_air_view.jpeg

Aerial picture of the remains of Sergiopolis, in the Late Roman province of Euphratensis.

The Azd tribal group, to which the Ghassānids belonged, had moved northward from South Arabia along the Sharāt Range that goes through western Arabia, and two of their important tribes, al-Aws and the Khazraj, had settled in Yathrib (modern Medina). It is quite likely that they had already been settled there in the second half of the V c. CE. If so, the Ghassānid adventurer would have had a power base in northern Ḥijāz from which to operate against Roman territory in Palæstina Tertia. From here, he seized the island of the Iotabe, at the mouth of the Gulf of Aqaba. This was a bold stroke for an Arab chief who was a land warrior; it was an amphibious operation and implies that the chief had at his disposal some ships or rafts to convey his troops to the island. It is not entirely clear whether he sailed from an adjacent port on the Red Sea or was already in possession of a strip of land on the eastern coast of the Gulf of Aqaba. Whatever his route was, it was a remarkable operation for an Arab chief who had operated with horses and camels and not with ships. Amorkesos’ military or strategic plan was also remarkable in that it affected the Roman Empire adversely in an area that was vital for imperial trade in the Red Sea area and which was also a source of revenue, owing to the customs dues that the resident Roman official collected from ships that put in. So the Arab chief must have had a noticeably clear conception of the importance of Iotabe for the eastern trade of Rome. Malchus of Philadelphia stated that he not only inconvenienced the Romans by occupying the strategically located island, but also amassed great wealth by collecting the taxes himself after expelling the resident Roman officials.

Malchus continued his account by telling that after seizing the island of Iotabe, Amorkesos attacked the neighboring villages, and it was only then that he "expressed a wish to become an ally of the Romans and a phylarch of the Saracens under Roman rule in Arabia Petræa ". Malchus is specific when he speaks of the area over which Amorkesos desired to be phylarch, namely, Arabia Petræa. Since Palæstina Tertia was a large, curiously shaped province, comprising Sinai, the Negev, and the region to the east of the valley of Wādī 'Araba, running from the southern tip of the Dead Sea to the modern Israeli city of Eilat, it may be assumed that he wanted to be phylarch over the third and last mentioned part of Palæstina Tertia. Malchus of Philadelphia, who was a classicizing historian, did not wish to use the administrative term Palæstina Tertia, a recent coinage of the IV c. CE but instead chose to express himself through the geographical idiom of Strabo, who conceived of this region as Arabia Petræa. The reference is specific enough, since it indicates that Amorkesos was made phylarch not over Palæstina Tertia in its entirely but over the Trans-'Araban part of it, which Malchus referred to as Arabia Petræa. It must be noted that Malchus himself was a native of Philadelphia (modern Amman, in Jordan) and he knew well this part of the empire.

Byzantine_church_Petra.jpg

Remains of the so-called “Byzantine church” at Petra, in modern-day Jordan. Built in the V-VI c. CE, back then it was located in the Roman province of Palæstina Tertia.

Shahīd also asked a key question: how was it possible for an Arab chief in the reign of Leo I to effect deep penetrations within Roman territory and, what is more, to occupy one of the Roman islands, especially one that had such strategic importance for Roman interests in the Red Sea? Furthermore, the Arab chief's occupation of the island entailed the eviction of its Roman tax collectors, and this would have dealt a blow not only to Roman material interests but also to its pride and prestige in the whole Red Sea area and western Arabia. The military dispositions of the Eastern Roman Empire make this all the more surprising. Palæstina Tertia, which witnessed the brunt of Amorkesos' thrusts, was well defended. The Notitia Dignitatum is informative on the units that were deployed there in the V c. CE. Ayla, at the head of the Gulf of Aqaba, was the station of Legio X Fretensis, transferred there from Jerusalem in the reign of Diocletian, and its transfer was inspired by some such potential danger from Arabia and the Arabs. There were also military units and forces in the neighboring Provincia Arabia. All or any of these forces in Palæstina Tertia and in the Provincia Arabia could have come to the rescue of the beleaguered province under attack from Amorkesos, in much the same way as, toward the end of the century, Romanus, the energetic dux of Palestine, was able to disperse a coalition of tribes that had posed a serious threat to the same region and, furthermore, to evict the Arabs from the same island. Not only regular Roman troops but also Arab fœderati, especially deployed for meeting such a threat, could have dealt with this situation. Their presence is attested in the V c. CE both in Palæstina Tertia and in the Provincia Arabia.

Shahīd provided a convincing answer for this puzzling question. In 468 CE Leo I dispatched a huge armada against the Vandals that had occupied the old Roman provinces of North Africa, in alliance with the Western Emperor Anthemius and the western general Marcellinus. The estimates sometimes provide fantastic figures, but historians agree on the magnitude of the expedition in terms of ships, men, and centenaria of gold spent on it. According to the more reliable ancient sources, the fleet consisted of 1,113 ships (according to John Cedrenus), which carried 100,000 soldiers (Peter Heather reduced this amount to 30,000 soldiers and 20,000 sailors, although additional expeditionary forces were landed in Vandal-occupied Sardinia and Sicily, and another force was deployed to Tripolitania to advance from there to Carthage by land, under the command of Heraclius of Edessa); the cost amounted to 130,000 Roman pounds of gold (according to Priscus of Panium and Procopius of Cæsarea). This was a huge expedition; the mustering of an expeditionary force of this size must have entailed mobilizing many contingents from the limes orientalis. This was possible because of the peace that reigned between the Roman and Sasanian empires for most of the V c. CE. This provides a credible situation in which the southern part of the limes orientalis, as well as Egypt, may have been stripped of its troops, both fœderati and regular forces. This temporary military vacuum occasioned by Leo I's expedition against the Vandals may have created suitable conditions for the military exploits of Amorkesos by land and sea, which would otherwise have been utterly incomprehensible.

After his successes on land and sea, the Arab chief sent Petrus, the bishop of his tribe, to Constantinople to negotiate with Leo I the question of his phylarchate in Palæstina Tertia. The emperor was receptive (much to the dismay of Malchus of Philadelphia) and asked Amorkesos to come to the capital. Amorkesos' diplomacy was the climax of his successes in war and also signaled a desire to win the peace. In this case diplomacy was the continuation of war by other means. The Arab chief had demonstrated his military worth by his successes and now wanted to reap the harvest by a triumph in another area-by becoming a phylarch of the Romans. This desire reflects how this office, modestly called the phylarchate, was much coveted by Arab chiefs, even ones as successful as Amorkesos. What mattered to these chiefs in the end was not only military successes in Arabia but the Roman connection, which carried with it the title of phylarch. That he was an astute diplomat and that he perfectly understood the importance of ecclesiastical diplomacy in the Late Roman Empire is shown in his choice of a bishop as his envoy. Shahīd also underlines that Petrus was an Arab bishop, the bishop of Amorkesos’ people, and not the bishop of the captured Roman outpost of Iotabe.

Shahīd dates Petrus’ arrival to Constantinople to 473 CE, thus after the Council of Chalcedon, that gave way to the division of the Eastern Roman Church between Miaphysite and Orthodox supporters; something similar happened among the neighboring Arabs who had already embraced Christianity.

Leo I received Amorkesos in Constantinople with full honors; there were a number of friendly encounters with the emperor. Amorkesos was awarded a private audience with the augustus, the two dined together, Leo asked the phylarch to attend Senate meetings (where he sat among the first-rank patricians, which according to Malchus scandalized Constantinople), and the two exchanged gifts. At the end of his stay in Constantinople, Leo formally endowed Amorkesos with the phylarchate. He confirmed him in his possession of the island of Iotabe and even gave him authority over a large number of villages. This was an unusual arrangement. This is the only instance recorded in the extant sources of an Arab phylarch being given charge of an island and, what is more, one that was so strategically located. Shahīd also notes that The fœdus awarded by Leo I recognized the fait accompli that Amorkesos had confronted the Romans with. This was unlike the other fœdi that Rome might have struck with the Salīḥids, for instance, when the circumstances were completely different, and the Arab party was not negotiating as the victor in a military context. Amorkesos, rather, like many a Germanic chief in the West, was in occupation of Roman territory which he had forcibly seized; the emperor simply confirmed him in this and made him an ally in much the same way that had been done with Germanic chiefs. As Amorkesos also kept control of his north Hijaz territories, now the Romans were able to project their influence south into the Ḥijāz in a way they had been unable to do for at least a century. But, as convenient as the fœdus may have been both to Amorkesos and Leo I, it was a clear breach of the standing peace treaties between Rome and Ērānšahr, and it was carried out at a time deeply inconvenient to the Sasanians, for in 474 CE Pērōz suffered his first disaster against the Hephthalites. It also marks the start of the relationship between Romans and Ghassānids, a relationship that would last under the Rashidun conquest of the East in the 630s CE.

Shahīd attributes the decline of the Salīḥids during the last third if the V c. CE precisely to their participation in the disastrous Vandal expedition of Leo I, same as had happened to the Tanūkhids after the disaster at Adrianople. If they had suffered heavy losses (which could have very well been the case), then after the return of the survivors to the East, they would have met trouble reasserting their status as the dominant Arab group among the “Saracen” fœderati of Constantinople. As I have stated before, there were clear precedents for the transfer of eastern allies/fœderati to other war theaters, so Leo I’s employ of Arab fœderati against the Vandals would have not been unusual. Against this bleak background, Leo I's receptiveness toward Amorkesos in 473 CE becomes perfectly logical. The empire was militarily depleted: troops that had embarked from the Diocese of Oriens, both regulars and foederati, were badly mauled, and some probably never returned to man the limes orientalis. For the emperor, the prudent course was to come to terms with the powerful chief who then appeared with an olive branch, asking to become his ally.

Mosaic_Floor_Jerash.jpg

Detail of a mosaic church found in Jerash in Jordan (ancient Gerasa, in the Roman province of Arabia).

Another circumstance that must have weighed with Leo I in his willingness to reach an accommodation with Amorkesos was the execution of the two Alan magistri militum Aspar and Ardaburius, and the virtual elimination of the Germanic element in the armies of the Eastern Roman Empire. Leo I wanted to counterbalance the Germanic preponderance in the East by recruiting as much as possible from native subjects of the empire. He thus relied on some hardy mountaineers, including the future emperor Zeno the Isaurian, and initiated what historians have called the “Isaurian policy”. Since the times of Adrianople, the Arab fœderati had served the Empire loyally and had even saved Constantinople once, and had the added bonus of being Orthodox (at least for now) which would have been a bonus on Leo’s eyes, so he felt that he could rely on them, same as he chose to rely on Tarasicodissa (Zeno’s native Isaurian name) and his people.

474 CE was a year of turmoil in the East. Unprecedented news arrived from faraway Central Asia about the defeat and capture of the Šāhān Šāh by the Hephthalites, while in Constantinople Leo I died and was succeeded by his general Zeno the Isaurian, who shortly after it had to deal with a palace coup led by Basiliscus, brother-in-law of the late Leo I and his sister Empress Dowager Verina that forced him to flee Constantinople and seek refuge in Isauria, from where he would be able to return a year later, capture the capital and execute all those who had taken part in the plot.

In his account of the reign of Zeno, Evagrius relates that in 474 CE that the empire was assaulted simultaneously in the East by the Arabs and in the West by the Huns. He is precise on the geographical sector into which the Huns irrupted, Thrace, but is vague on the Arabs. But Theophanes the Confessor pins the Arab invasion down to Mesopotamia. Theophanes gives no precisions about the identity of the invaders, but Shahīd pointed out that they were probably Sasanian clients and that the raid was launched to convey the displeasure of the Sasanian king Pērōz with the warm reception offered to Amorkesos in Constantinople the previous year.

More incursions happened in 485 CE, one year after the defeat and death of Pērōz against the Hephthalites. They appear in a letter sent by the metropolitan of Nisibis Barṣaumâ to the catholicos of the East Acacius. According to this letter, Arabs who were clients of the Sasanians made an incursion into Roman territory, and in response the Arab fœderati of Rome assembled at the border to retaliate. The marzbān of the area, Kardag Nakōragan, arranged for talks that ended with an agreement that each side, the Sasanian and the Roman Arabs, would give up what it had captured and pillaged from the territory of the other, and the frontier would be delimited by a treaty. To this end the Šāhān Šāh (i.e. Walāxš) ordered the king of the Arabs and the šahrab of Bēṯ-Aramāyē to go to Nisibis, while the Roman commander was also persuaded by Barṣaumâ to attend. During the amicable encounter at Nisibis, the Sasanian Arabs again went on a raiding expedition against the villages in Roman territory; this incensed the Roman commander, who thought he had been cheated or lured to come to Nisibis so that the Sasanian Arabs might lay waste to Roman territory with impunity. However, nothing serious seems to have resulted from the action of these unruly Arabs, and the Roman-Sasanian peace was not ruffled for the remainder of the reign of Zeno.

Shahīd thought that is possible that the background of this episode was Zeno's having recently (483 CE) stopped the annual subsidy that Rome paid the Sasanians for the upkeep of the Caspian Gates, and his demanding the return of Nisibis to the Romans as a condition for the resumption of these payments. According to Joshua the Stylite, this less than diplomatic answer by Zeno was the response to an official complaint made by Pērōz to this respect just before he embarked in is ill-fated last campaign against the Hephthalites; it is possible that Zeno decided to take advantage of the Sasanians’ difficulties in Central Asia to stop the payment of subsidies for good.

Barṣaumâ’s letter offer some precise details about the Arabs who undertook the second raid while the negotiations were being carried on at Nisibis: it was a single Arab tribe, and four hundred cavalrymen took part in the raid. According to Barṣaumâ, the name of this tribe was Ṭou’āyē; Shahīd thought that this was probably the well-known pre-Islamic Arab tribe of Ṭayy, the tribe whose name became the generic name for the Arabs among Syriac authors, namely, Ṭayāyē. Their legal status under the Sasanians is not clear from the text of the letter, for the word used by Barṣaumâ to refer to them could mean that they were either tributaries or allies of the Šāhān Šāh (the Iranian equivalent to fœderati). In the letter, the Šāhān Šāh calls on the "king of the Arabs" (undoubtedly the Lakhmid king of al-Ḥīra) to come up to the north and deal with the situation created by the raid of these Sasanian Arabs into Roman territory. The natural presumption is that this group of Arabs in Sasanian-ruled Mesopotamia was independent of the Lakhmids and free to do what it wanted, without regard to the latter. But when the Šāhān Šāh so desired, he could ask the Lakhmids to control other Arabs within Sasanian territory. At the beginning of the letter Barṣaumâ also complains of their ravages in Sasanian territory before they crossed over to Roman Mesopotamia. In Shahīd’s opinion, this does not seem like the conduct of Arab allies of the Sasanian Empire, and so they are likely to have been a tribal group allowed to settle in Sasanian Mesopotamia as ύρήχοοι (úrḗkhooi), a category of peoples recognized in the Romano-Sasanian treaty of 561 CE.

Shahīd also points out the importance of the fact that the Sasanian king ordered the Lakhmid king of al-Ḥīra to intervene and that he had to travel all the way to Nisibis to help the marzbān with the negotiations. At this point in time, the Lakhmid king would have been al-Munḏir II, son of al-Munḏir I, and this letter of Barṣaumâ confirms the information given in Arabic sources (like Ṭabarī) about the powers over all the Arabs in Ērānšahr vested upon him by Warahrān V.

The remaining years of the reign of Zeno were quiet in the Roman-Sasanian border, but things heated up once more under Anastasius I (r. 491-518 CE). In 491-492 CE Arabs raiders made an inroad into Phœnice Libanensis and penetrated as far as Emesa, disrupting one of the nearby monasteries. This is not mentioned by the chronographers, but by the hagiographer Cyril of Scythopolis in the Vita Abramii. It could have been a local raid, but considering that the Arabs reached Emesa, deep in the heart of the province, it may have been of more than local importance. Shahîd points out that it is noteworthy that it coincided with the beginning of Anastasius I' reign. Kawād I pressed his claims for the payment of the subsidies related to the Caspian Gates, but the new emperor, following in the footsteps of Zeno after 483 CE, refused to pay in spite of Kawād I's demands and threats. Accordingly, this Arab invasion may have been organized by the court of Ctesiphon and undertaken by its Arab allies, the Lakhmids, who had obliged on similar occasions in the past when the Šāhān Šāh wanted to express his displeasure without seeming to violate the peace that was supposed to prevail between both empires.

The events of 498 CE though (as reported by Theophanes the Confessor) are much more important and extensive. According to this source, the year witnessed a general invasion of the Roman East by three groups of Arabs:
  • The “Tented Arabs” invaded the province of Euphratensis (in Mesopotamia) but were repealed at Bithrapsa (that Shahīd identifies with Ruṣāfa/Sergiopolis) in Syria by the commander of troops in the area, Eugenius. These Arabs were Sasanian allies and were under the command of Naaman.
  • A second group of Arabs under Jabala had overrun Palestine before the arrival of the Roman commander Romanus there, but the latter beat them and put them to flight. Then, after hard-fought battles, he retook the island of Iotabe from Arab rule and returned it to Roman direct control.
  • A third group of Arabs under Ogaros, son of Arechas, were beaten by Romanus, who also cook many of the Arabs captive, including Ogaros.
Theophanes’ chronology is confirmed by Evagrius and the Arab historian Hishām. al-Nu’mān II, the Lakhmid king who organized the offensive, reigned for four years and died in 503 CE, so on this side the chronology also aligns with Theophanes’ data. Obviously, Theophanes’ Naaman is the Lakhmid king al-Nu’mān II, to whom Theophanes refers to as phylarch. Again, the obvious question arises. With the Lakhmid king himself involved, this was an operation organized in Ctesiphon, that could not be hidden, so what prompted Kawād I to take this step? The year 498 CE witnessed the recovery of the Sasanian throne by Kawād I. This would have been an occasion for him to renew demands for the payment of the annual subsidies for the upkeep of the Caspian Gates, which had been denied by Anastasius I when Kawād I had demanded them before. It is thus possible that Kawād I launched this operation as a reprisal after a demand for payment had been rejected by Anastasius I. So he conveniently ordered his client king to mount this offensive against Roman territory to signal his displeasure. If the al-Nu’mān II became king of al-Ḥīra in the same year, he too would have found it convenient to celebrate his own accession by a military operation against the age-old enemy.

Shahīd thought that the choice of objective by the Lakhmids was due to the fame of Sergiopolis as a pilgrimage center among the Christian Arabs, which would have translated into an accumulation of wealth through donatives to the shrine of Saint Sergius. Added to this, Sergiopolis was located close to the Sasanian border. Shahīd adds nothing about the Roman commander Eugenius who defeated the Lakhmids in Sergiopolis; he could have been the local dux of the province, but Shahīd thought that he probably was a higher-ranked commander, able to muster the military resources of more than one province.

Shivta_in_the_Negev.jpg

Remains of the southern church at Shivta in the Negev (modern Israel), which would have been part of Palaestina Tertia. This (now abandoned) town experienced an economic boom during the V-VI c. CE thanks to the production of the highly appreciated wine of Gaza (vinum Gazentum).

As for the other Roman commander, Romanus, he is better documented. He was the dux of Palestine and took part in the opening stages of the Anastasian War in 503 CE. The identity of the first Arab chief whom Romanus defeated and put to flight in Palestine is quite clear: he was the Ghassānid Jabalah, the father of Arethas (Ar. al-Ḥārith), whom Procopius of Caesarea mentions by name and patronymic. His relationship to the Amorkesos who first occupied the island of Iotabe is not so clear. He could be lineally or collaterally related to him; he could belong to the same Ghassānid clan or to another. Once more, Shahīd raised the obvious question: what caused this obvious breach of the agreement reached by Amorkesos and Leo I in 473 CE? Shahīd stated that the sources are silent, but it is practically certain that the financial policy of Anastasius I was responsible for it. Anastasius I retrieved the financial situation after it had reached the brink of ruin because of the costly expedition of Leo I against the Vandals. His careful spending and personal attention to matters of detail restored the economy of the state. Surely the extraordinary arrangement that Leo I had with the Arab chief would have attracted his attention, and so he was probably determined to wrest the island of Iotabe from Arab hands and restore it to Roman rule. He might, then, have issued orders for its return. Thus it is practically certain that it was not Amorkesos' phylarchate over Palæstina Tertia that irked Anastasius I but his rule over Iotabe and the financial loss to the empire that it entailed. Shahīd thought that it was possible that Anastasius I took seven years before addressing this issue because previously he had been busy with a serious rebellion in Isauria whose last leader was not executed until 498 CE, but that it was more probable that the reason for the delay was that Amorkesos might have died in 498 CE. His death might have confronted the Romans with the usual problem of the renewal of the fœdus. Anastasius I might have taken advantage of this moment to refuse to renew what he possibly thought was a fœdus iniquum as far as Rome was concerned, struck between the Empire and an Arab chief in the aftermath of Leo I's expedition against the Vandals, and negotiated under duress. So he refused to renew it, just as he refused to pay the annual subsidies to Kawād I for the upkeep of the Caspian Gates. He may well have considered that the money that Rome paid to Ērānšahr and the money that the Arab lord of Iotabe collected belonged to the same order of extortion from, and loss to, the Roman Treasury. So, what happened at Iotabe and the fight in Palestine against Jabalah the Ghassānid was a rebellion that was put down by the Roman commander Romanus after a hard struggle (according to Theophanes).

As for the other Arabic attack, the invasion of Palestine that was also refused by Romanus: Shahīd identified the Arab leader Ogaros, son of Arechas, with Ḥujr, the Kindite chief. This Kindite prince was the son of Ḥārith, son of 'Amr, the Kindite king, well known to the Romans around 500 CE and for more than a quarter century to come. His father, Ḥārith, lived for at least another twenty-five years and was highly active in the military, political, and religious life of the Roman borderlands. And yet he appears only genealogically in the Theophanes passage; it is his son, Ḥujr, who undertook the operations against the Romans. Shahīd thought the most plausible explanation that probably Ḥārith ruled over a vast area in Arabia and so had to delegate authority to his sons. Ḥujr at this time (ca. 500 CE) was apparently in charge of the tribes that were adjacent to the limes Arabicus; hence his involvement. It is unclear why the Kindites became involved in all this commotion; Shahīd attributed it to either opportunism or more plausibly that they asked a call for help from the Ghassānids, as these two Arab groups were generally in good relations with each other.

After the offensives of 498 CE, the sources are silent on the Ghassānids for some four years, but not on the Kindites. In 502 CE a Kindite prince, Ma'di-Karib, mounted a large-scale raid against the three great regions of the Roman East (Syria, Phoenicia, and Palestine) so swiftly that Romanus was unable to overtake him when he chose to retreat with a great deal of booty. Since the Banū Ghassān emerged a little later as the dominant Arab fœderati, it cannot be said that they disappeared or were crushed completely. The Ghassanids had already the status of foederati with Rome and had enjoyed it for a quarter of a century, while the Kindites were basically a foreign power, with a considerable territorial base in northern and central Arabia.

• 2Like
Reactions:
4.3. THE ANASTASIAN WAR. THE SASANIAN INVASION OF 502 CE.
4.3. THE ANASTASIAN WAR. THE SASANIAN INVASION OF 502 CE.

In the previous post I have dealt extensively with the causes for the war, amongst them the two explicit testimonies of Procopius of Caesarea and Joshua the Stylite. The Pseudo-Zacharias of Mytilene also offers a noticeably short introduction to the war:

The Syriac Chronicle of the Pseudo-Zachariah of Mytilene, Book VII, Chapter III:
But Kawad, who succeeded him in the kingdom, and his nobles cherished hatred against the Romans, saying that they had caused the incursion of the Huns, and the pillage and the devastation of their country.

The “incursion of the Huns” means the Hephthalite war in which Pērōz lost his life. As Greatrex and Lieu pointed out, like all his predecessors before him in the V c. CE, Anastasius I refused to undertake anything which might be seized on by the Sasanians as an excuse to break the peace. In the short term, his refusal to bow to Kawād I’s demands paid off: after his first refusal to pay “subsidies” to the young Kawād I during the latter’s first reign, not only the Armenians, but also the Qadishāye (tribesmen living in the vicinity of Nisibis) and Tamūrāyē (perhaps some Arab people, see below) revolted against the Šāhān Šāh, as reported by Joshua the Stylite:

The Syriac Chronicle attributed to Joshua the Stylite, XXI-XXII:
XXI. When the Armenians who were under the rule of Kawâd heard that he had not received a peaceful answer from the Greeks, they took courage and strengthened themselves, and destroyed the fire-temples that had been built by the Persians in their land and massacred the magi who were among them. Kawâd sent against them a general with an army to chastise them and make them return to the worship of fire; but they fought with him, and destroyed both him and his army, and sent ambassadors to our emperor, offering to become his subjects. He however was unwilling to receive them, that he might not be thought to be stirring up war with the Persians. Let those therefore who blame him because he did not give the money, rather blame him who demanded what was not his as if by force; for had he asked for it peaceably and by persuasion, it would have been sent to him; but he hardened his heart like Pharaoh, and used threats of war. But we place our trust in the justice of God, that He will bring upon him a greater punishment than that of the other because of his filthy laws, for he wished to violate the law of nature and to destroy the path of the fear of God.

XXII. Next the whole of the Ḳadishâye who were under his sway rebelled against him, and wanted to enter Nisibis, and to set up in it a king of their own; and they fought against it for a considerable time. The Tamûrâyê too, who dwell in the land of the Persians, when they saw that nothing was given to them by him, rebelled against him. These placed their trust in the lofty mountains amid which they dwelt and used to come down and spoil and plunder the villages around them, and (rob) the merchants, both forainers and natives of the place, and then go up again. The nobles too of his kingdom hated him because he had allowed their wives to commit adultery. The Arabs also who were under his sway, when they saw the confusion of his kingdom, likewise made predatory raids, as far as their strength permitted, throughout the whole Persian territory.

The revolt of the Armenians, Qadishāye and Tamūrāyē was caused by what was probably perceived as a humiliation of the Šāhān Šāh by Anastasius I’s haughty refusal, and the chaos seems to have been considerable, as some unidentified “Arabs” (Ṭayāyē in the Syriac text; could mean “Arabs” in a generic way or more specifically members of the tribe of Ṭayy) seized the opportunity to plunder Sasanian territory. Notice how there is also a reference in the text to the resentment among the Iranian nobility at Kawād I because of his religious “experiment” with the Zaraduštis. This events are dated by Joshua to Kawād I’s first reign. Shortly before being expelled from the throne by the nobility, Kawād I again asked Anastasius I for money, but the latter only agreed to a loan.

Drahm_Kavadh-I_522-523_Kerman.jpg

Silver drahm of Kawād I. On the obverse: Kawād abzōn (“May Kawād prosper”). Mint of Širajān in Kermān, regnal year 35 (522-523 CE). His reign marks the introduction of distinctive traits on the obverse sides of the coin which includes astral symbols, particularly, a crescent on both of his shoulders, and a star in the left corner. Kawād used the title “Kay” on his coins, a title that had been used for most of the V c. CEI. He was, however, the last king to have it inscribed on his coins; the last coin was issued in 513 CE. The regular obverse inscription on his coins simply had his name; in 504 CE, however, the word abzōn ("may he prosper/increase") was added.

After Kawād I’s return to the throne, the situation of his Treasury became even worse; Geoffrey Greatrex and Samuel N. C. Lieu noted that Kawād I’s financial difficulties were compounded by a riverbed change by the Tigris, which sparked famine and floods in what was the richest and most economically part of the Empire, further damaging his fiscal revenues. If Kawād I wanted to pay the tribute or the payment agreed to the Hephthalites for helping him recover the throne, he had only one avenue left: war to seize by force what Anastasius I refused to concede otherwise.

In August 502 CE, Kawād I invaded Roman territory and achieved complete surprise over his ill-prepared foes. The attack obviously had Hephthalite approval, as the Sasanian army included an Hephthalite detachment in 502 and in 503 CE. The war was short and lasted only until 504 CE, and it is covered only summarily in the Perso-Arabic Islamic sources: one line in Ṭabarī. So, all the information we have about this war comes from Greek and Syriac sources. The invasion began with an attack on Theodosiopolis (modern Erzurum) in Armenia, which fell quickly in Sasanian hands, and then Kawād I moved south, laying waste to Roman Armenia, and also taking the important city of Martyropolis. Finally he reached Amida and besieged it, even though winter had arrived:

First he invaded the land of the Armenians, moving with such rapidity as to anticipate the news of his coming, and, after plundering the greater part of it in a rapid campaign, he unexpectedly arrived at the city of Amida, which is situated in Mesopotamia, and, although the season was winter, he invested the town.

The Syriac Chronicle attributed to Joshua the Stylite, XLVIII-L:
XLVIII. On the very same day on which that fire was seen, Kawâd, the son of Pêrôz, the king of the Persians, collected the whole Persian army, and went up against the north. He entered the Greek territory with the force of Huns that he had with him, and encamped against Theodosioûpolis of Armenia, and took it in a few days; for the governor of the place, whose name was Constantine, rebelled against the Greeks, and surrendered it, because of some enmity that he had against the emperor. Kawâd consequently plundered the city and destroyed and burned it; and he laid waste all the villages in the region of the north, and the fugitives that were left he carried off captive. Constantine he made one of his generals, and left a garrison in Theodosioûpolis, and marched thence.
(…)
L. Kawâd, the king of the Persians, came from the north on the fifth of the first Teshrî (October), on a Saturday, and encamped against the city of Âmid, which is beside us in Mesopotamia, he, and his whole army (…)

The Syriac Chronicle of the Pseudo-Zacharias of Mytilene, Book VII, Chapter III:
And Kawad gathered an army and went out against Theodosiopolis in Armenia of the Romans and subdued the city; and he treated its inhabitants mercifully, because he had not been insulted by them; but he took Constantine, the ruler of their city, prisoner. And in the month of October 1 he reached Amida of Mesopotamia.

A siege of Amida ensued. In 359 CE, Amida had been able to put up a ferocious resistance against the army of Šābuhr II, and the performance of its defenders against the army of Kawād I was also spirited, but the city fell again after a short siege. This siege is covered in great detail by Procopius of Caesarea, Joshua the Stylite and the Pseudo-Zacharias of Mytilene (warning: quite long quotes):

Now the citizens of Amida had no soldiers at hand, seeing that it was a time of peace and prosperity, and in other respects were utterly unprepared; nevertheless they were quite unwilling to yield to the enemy, and shewed an unexpected fortitude in holding out against dangers and hardships.
Now there was among the Syrians a certain just man, Jacobus by name, who had trained himself with exactitude in matters pertaining to religion. This man had confined himself many years before in a place called Endielon, a day’s journey from Amida, in order that he might with more security devote himself to pious contemplation. The men of this place, assisting his purpose, had surrounded him with a kind of fencing, in which the stakes were not continuous, but set at intervals, so that those who approached could see and hold converse with him. And they had constructed for him a small roof over his head, sufficient to keep off the rain and snow. There this man had been sitting for a long time, never yielding either to heat or cold, and sustaining his life with certain seeds, which he was accustomed to eat, not indeed every day, but only at long intervals. Now some of the Hephthalites who were overrunning the country thereabout saw this Jacobus and with great eagerness drew their bows with intent to shoot at him. But the hands of every one of them became motionless and utterly unable to manage the bow. When this was noised about through the army and came to the ears of Cabades, he desired to see the thing with his own eyes; and when he saw it, both he and the Persians who were with him were seized with great astonishment, and he entreated Jacobus to forgive the barbarians their crime. And he forgave them with a word, and the men were released from their distress. Cabades then bade the man ask for whatever he wished, supposing that he would ask for a great sum of money, and he also added with youthful recklessness that he would be refused nothing by him. But he requested Cabades to grant to him all the men who during that war should come to him as fugitives. This request Cabades granted and gave him a written pledge of his personal safety. And great numbers of men, as might be expected, came flocking to him from all sides and found safety there; for the deed became widely known. Thus, then, did these things take place.
Cabades, in besieging Amida, brought against every part of the defenses the engines known as rams; but the townspeople constantly broke off the heads of the rams by means of timbers thrown across them. However, Cabades did not slacken his efforts until he realized that the wall could not be successfully assailed in this way. For, though he battered the wall many times, he was quite unable to break down any portion of the defense, or even to shake it; so secure had been the work of the builders who had constructed it long before. Failing in this, Cabades raised an artificial hill to threaten the city, considerably overtopping the wall; but the besieged, starting from the inside of their defenses, made a tunnel extending under the hill, and from there stealthily carried out the earth, until they hollowed out a great part of the inside of the hill. However, the outside kept the form which it had at first assumed and afforded no opportunity to anyone of discovering what was being done. Accordingly many Persians mounted it, thinking it safe, and stationed themselves on the summit with the purpose of shooting down upon the heads of those inside the fortifications. But with the great mass of men crowding upon it with a rush, the hill suddenly fell in and killed almost all of them. Cabades, then, finding no remedy for the situation, decided to raise the siege, and he issued orders to the army to retreat on the morrow. Then indeed the besieged, as though they had no thought of their danger, began laughingly from the fortifications to jeer at the barbarians. Besides this some courtesans shamelessly drew up their clothing and displayed to Cabades, who was standing close by, those parts of a woman’s body which it is not proper that men should see uncovered. This was plainly seen by the Magi, and they thereupon came before the king and tried to prevent the retreat, declaring as their interpretation of what had happened that the citizens of Amida would shortly disclose to Cabades all their secret and hidden things. So the Persian army remained there.
Not many days later one of the Persians saw close by one of the towers the mouth of an old underground passage, which was insecurely concealed with some few small stones. In the night he came there alone, and, making trial of the entrance, got inside the circuit-wall; then at daybreak he reported the whole matter to Cabades. The king himself on the following night came to the spot with a few men, bringing ladders which he had made ready. And he was favored by a piece of good fortune; for the defense of the very tower which happened to be nearest to the passage had fallen by lot to those of the Christians who are most careful in their observances, whom they call monks. These men, as chance would have it, were keeping some annual religious festival to God on that day. When night came on they all felt great weariness on account of the festival, and, having sated themselves with food and drink beyond their wont, they fell into a sweet and gentle sleep, and were consequently quite unaware of what was going on. So the Persians made their way through the passage inside the fortifications, a few at a time, and, mounting the tower, they found the monks still sleeping and slew them to a man. When Cabades learned this, he brought his ladders up to the wall close by this tower. It was already day. And those of the townsmen who were keeping guard on the adjoining tower became aware of the disaster and ran thither with all speed to give assistance. Then for a long time both sides struggled to crowd back the other, and already the townsmen were gaining the advantage, killing many of those who had mounted the wall, and throwing back the men on the ladders, and they came very near to averting the danger. But Cabades drew his sword and, terrifying the Persians constantly with it, rushed in person to the ladders and would not let them draw back, and death was the punishment for those who dared turn to leave. As a result of this the Persians by their numbers gained the upper hand and overcame their antagonists in the fight. So the city was captured by storm on the eightieth day after the beginning of the siege. [i.e. January 11, 503 CE] There followed a great massacre of the townspeople, until one of the citizens — an old man and a priest — approached Cabades as he was riding into the city and said that it was not a kingly act to slaughter captives. Then Cabades, still moved with passion, replied: “But why did you decide to fight against me?” And the old man answered quickly: “Because God willed to give Amida into thy hand not so much because of our decision as of thy valor.” Cabades was pleased by this speech, and permitted no further slaughter, but he bade the Persians plunder the property and make slaves of the survivors, and he directed them to choose out for himself all the notables among them.
A short time after this he departed, leaving there to garrison the place a thousand men under command of Glones, a Persian, and some few unfortunates among the citizens of Amida who were destined to minister as servants to the daily wants of the Persians; he himself with all the remainder of the army and the captives marched away homeward. These captives were treated by Cabades with a generosity befitting a king; for after a short time he released all of them to return to their homes, but he pretended that they had escaped from him by stealth; and the Roman Emperor, Anastasius, also shewed them honor worthy of their bravery, for he remitted to the city all the annual taxes for the space of seven years, and presented all of them as a body and each one of them separately with many good things, so that they came fully to forget the misfortunes which had befallen them. But this happened in later years.

The Syriac Chronicle attributed to Joshua the Stylite, L-LIII:
L. Kawâd, the king of the Persians, came from the north on the fifth of the first Teshrî (October), on a Saturday, and encamped against the city of Âmid, which is beside us in Mesopotamia, he and his whole army. When Anastasius, the Greek emperor, heard that Kawâd had collected his forces, he was unwilling to meet him in battle, that blood might not be shed on both sides ; but he sent him money by the hand of Rufinus, to whom he gave orders that, if Kawâd was on the frontier and had not yet crossed over into the Greek territory, he should give him the money and send him away. But when Rufinus came to Caesarea of Cappadocia and heard that Kawad had laid waste Agêl and Ṣûph (i.e. Egil or Enjil, north of Amida/Diyarbakir, and Sophene) and Armenia and the Arabs, left the money at Caesarea, and went to him, and told him that he should recross the border and take the money. He however would not but seized Rufinus and ordered him to be kept under guard. He fought against Âmid, he and his whole army, with every manner of warfare, by night and by day, and built against it (the mound called) a mule; but the people of Âmid built and added to the height of the wall. When the mule was raised high, the Persians applied the battering-ram; and after they had struck the wall violently, the part newly built became loosened, because it had not yet settled, and fell. But the Âmidenes dug a hole in the wall under the mule, and secretly drew away inside the city the earth which was heaped up to form it, propping it up with beams as they worked; and so the mule collapsed and fell.

LI. When Kawâd found that he was not a match for the city, he sent Na’mân, the king of the Arabs (of al-Ḥīra), with his whole force, to go southwards to the district of Ḥarrân (i.e. ancient Carrhae). Some of the Persian troops advanced as far as the city of Constantina or Tella and were plundering and harrying and laying waste the whole country. On the 19th of the latter Teshrî (November) Olympius, the dux of Tella, and Eugenius, the dux of Melitene (who had come down at that time), went forth, they and their troops, and destroyed the Persians whom they found in the villages around Tella. And when they had turned to go back to the city, some one told them that there were five hundred men in a ravine not very far from them. They were ready to go against them, but the Greek troops that were with them had dispersed themselves to strip the slain; and because it was night, Olympius gave orders to light a fire on the top of an eminence and to blow trumpets, that those who were scattered might rejoin them. But the Persian generals, who were encamped at the village of Tell Beshmai, when they saw the light of the fire and heard the sound of the trumpets, armed all their force and came against them. When the Greek cavalry saw that the Persians were too many for them, they turned (their backs); but the infantry were unable to escape and were constrained to fight. So they came together and drew up in battle array, forming what is called the χελώνη [khelṓnē] or tortoise, and fought for a long time. But as the army of the Persians was too many for them, and there were added to these the Huns and Arabs, their ranks were broken, and they were thrown into disorder, and mixed up among the cavalry, and trampled and crushed under the hoofs of the horses of the Arabs. So many of the Greeks were killed, and the rest were made prisoners.

LII. On the 26th of this month Na'mân came from the south and entered the territory of the Ḥarrânites, and laid waste and plundered and took captive the people and cattle and property of the whole territory of Ḥarrân. He came also as far as Edessa, harrying and plundering and taking captive all the villages. The number of persons whom he led away into captivity was 18,500, besides those who were killed, and besides the cattle and property and spoil of all kinds. The reason that all these people were found in the villages was its being the time of the vintage, for not only did the villagers go out to the vintage, but also many of the Ḥarrânites and Edessenes went out and were taken prisoners. Because of these things Edessa was closed and guarded, and ditches were dug, and the wall was repaired; and the gates of the city were stopped up with blocks of stone, because they were decayed. They were going to put new ones, and to make bars for the sluices of the river, lest any one should enter thereby; but they could not find iron enough for the work, and an order was issued that every house in Edessa should furnish ten pounds of iron. When this was done, the work was finished. When Eugenius saw that he could not meet all the Persians (in battle), he took what troops were left him, and went against the garrison which they had at Theodosiûpolis, and destroyed those who were in it, and retook the town.

LIII. Kawâd was still fighting against Âmid, and striving and laboring to set up again the mule that had fallen in. He ordered the Persians to fill it up with stones and beams, and to bring cloths of hair and wool and linen, and make them into bags || or sacks, and fill them with earth, and pile them up on the mule which they had made, so that it might be raised quickly against the wall. Then the Âmidenes constructed a machine which the Persians named “the Crusher”, because it thwarted all their labor and destroyed themselves. For the Âmidenes cast with this engine huge stones, each of which weighed more than three hundred pounds; and .so the cotton awning under which the Persians concealed themselves was rent in pieces, and those who were standing beneath it were crushed. The battering ram too was broken by the constant shower of stones which were cast without cessation; for the Âmidenes were not able to damage the Persians so much in any other way as by means of large stones, because of the cotton awning which was folded many times over (the mule). Upon this the Persians used to pour water, and it could neither be damaged by arrows on account of its thickness, nor by fire because it was damp. But these large stones that were hurled from “the Crusher” destroyed both awning and men and weapons. In this way the Persians were discomfited, and gave up working at the mule, and took counsel to return to their own country, because, during the three months that they had sat before it, 50,000 of them had perished in the battles that were fought daily both by night and day. But the Âmidenes became overconfident in their victory, and fell into careless ways, and did not guard the wall with the same diligence as before. On the 10th of the month of the latter Kânûn (January) the guardians of the wall drank a great deal of wine because of the cold, and when it was night, they fell asleep and were sunk in a heavy slumber; and some of them quitted their posts, because it was raining, and went down to seek shelter in their houses. Whether then through this remissness, as we think, or by an act of treachery, as people said, or as a chastisement from God, the Persians got possession of the walls of Âmid by means of a ladder, without the gates being opened or the wall breached. They laid waste the city, and sacked all the property in it, and trampled the eucharist under foot, and mocked at its service, and stripped bare its churches, and led its inhabitants into captivity, except the old and the maimed and those who hid themselves. They left there a garrison of three thousand men, and all (the rest) of them went down to the mountains of Shîgâr [i.e. the Jebel Sinjār]. That the Persians who remained might not be annoyed by the smell of the dead bodies of the Âmidenes, they carried them out and piled them up in two heaps outside of the north gate. The number of those who were carried out by the north gate was more than 80,000; besides those whom they led forth alive and stoned outside of the city, and those whom they stabbed on the top of the mule that they had constructed, and those who were thrown into the Tigris, and those who died by all sorts of deaths, regarding which we are unable to speak.

The Syriac Chronicle of the Pseudo-Zacharias of Mytilene, Book VII, Chapters III-IV:
And in the month of October he reached Amida of Mesopotamia. (But though he assailed it) with fierce assaults of sharp arrows and with battering-rams, which thrust the wall to overthrow it, and pent-houses, which protected those
who brought together the materials for the besiegers' mound and raised it up and made it equal in height with the wall, for three months, day after day, yet he could not take the city by storm ; while his own people were suffering much hardship through work and fighting, and he was constantly hearing in his ears the insults of disorderly men on the wall, and their ridicule and mockery, and he was reduced to great straits. And indignation and regret took possession of him, because the winter came upon him in its severity, and because the Persians, being clad in their loose garments, showed themselves inefficient; and their bows were greatly relaxed by the moisture of the atmosphere; and their battering-rams did not hurt the wall or make any breaches in it, for (the defenders) were binding bundles of rushes from the beds with chains, and receiving upon them the violence of the battering-rams, and thus preventing them from breaking the wall. But they themselves made a breach in the wall from inside, and they carried the material of the mound from without into the fortress within, and they gradually propped up the cavity with beams from beneath. And when chosen Persian warriors ascended the mound and laid beams upon the wall to effect an entrance (now they were clad in armor, and the king was near with his army outside, and was supporting them with display of strength and shooting of arrows, and encouraging them with shouting, and stimulating them and urging them forward by his presence and appearance, they being about five hundred men), the defenders threw strings of skin just flayed from an ox, and soaked vetch mixed with myrrh-oil from the wall upon the beams, and poured the liquid from the vetch upon the skins to make them slippery, and they placed fire among the props which were beneath the mound. And when they had engaged in a conflict with each other for about six hours, and (the besiegers) had failed to effect an entrance, the fire blazed up and consumed the wood of the props, and immediately also the rest of the material was reduced to ashes by the violence of the fire, and the mound was destroyed and fell. And the Persians who were on the top of it were burned, and they were also bruised, being struck with stones by those on the wall. And the king retired with shame and grief, being more than ever mocked, and insulted by those daring, proud, and boastful men. For there was no bishop in that city to be their teacher and to keep them in order. For John the bishop, a chaste and noble man of honored character, had died a few days before. This man was called from the monastery of Karthamin, and he, having been elected, came, and he became their bishop. However, he did not change his asceticism and self-mortification and habit of life but was constant (in them) by day and by night. And he warned l and rebuked the rich men of the city at the time of the famine and the incursion of the Arabs and the pestilence, saying that they should not keep back the corn in the time of distress, but should sell it and give to the poor; lest if they kept it back, they might be only hoarding it for the enemy, according to the word of Scripture. And so, in fact, it happened. To him an angel appeared openly, standing beside the altar-table, and he foretold to him the incursion of the enemy, and that he should be taken away as a righteous man from the face of the enemy; and he revealed the saying, and published it in the presence of the people of the city, that they might turn and be saved from the wrath.
When Kawad and his army had been defeated in the various assaults which they made upon the city, and a large number of his soldiers had perished, his hands were weakened; and he asked that a small gift of silver should be given to him, and he would withdraw from the city. But Leontius, the son of Pappus, the chief councilor, and Cyrus the governor, and Paul Bar Zainab the steward, by the messengers whom they sent to Kawad, demanded from him the price of the garden vegetables which his army had eaten, as well as for the corn and wine which they gathered and brought away from the villages. And when he was greatly grieved at this, and was preparing to withdraw in disgrace, Christ appeared to him in a vision of the night, as he himself after wards l related it, and said to him, that within three days He would deliver up to him the inhabitants of the city, because they had sinned against Him; and this took place as follows: On the western side of the city by the Tripyrgion was a guard of monks who were told off from the monastery of John of Anzetene, and their archimandrite was a Persian. And on the outside, right opposite this watch-tower, a certain Marzban, named Kanarak the Lame, was encamped. And day after day, vigilantly watching by night and by day, he was diligent and clever in devising plans for the subjugation of the city. For there was one whom they called in the city Kutrigo, a turbulent and thievish fellow; this man was very daring in all kinds of attacks upon the Persians, and he used to make raids and snatch away from them cattle and goods; so that they also, being accustomed to hear the men on the wall crying out, used to call him Kutrigo. Kanarak observed this man and perceived that he went out by the aqueducts adjoining the Tripyrgion, and snatched up spoil, and went in again. And for a time the Persians let him accomplish his will, marking and examining his actions, and they ran after him and saw the place from which he came out and where he went in.
But it happened on that night on which the city was subdued, that there was darkness, and a dense cloud sending down soft rain; and a certain man gave a friendly entertainment to the monks who guarded the Tripyrgion, and he gave them wine to drink late in the night, and consequently sleep overtook them, and they did not watch diligently upon their guard, according to their usual custom. And when Kanarak and a few soldiers came up, pursuing Kutrigo, and drew near to the wall, the monks did not cry out nor cast stones; and the man perceived that they were asleep, and he sent for scaling-ladders and for his troops; and his followers went in by the aqueducts, and climbed the tower of the monks, and killed them. And they took the tower and also the battlement; and they set up the scaling-ladders against the wall and sent to the king.
But when those who were in charge of another tower, their neighbors, heard it, they cried out, and tried to come to the monks who were being killed, and were not able; but some of them were wounded by arrows from the Persians, and died. And when the report reached Cyrus the governor, and he came up and torches were held close to him, he was easily struck by an arrow from the Persians, who stood in the darkness and were themselves unhurt by the archers; and he withdrew wounded. But when it was morning, and the king and his army reached the place, they set scaling-ladders against the wall; and he ordered his troops to go up; and many of those who went up perished, being wounded by arrows and by stones, and driven back by spears. And those who through fear turned and fled down the scaling-ladders were killed by the king's command, as cowards and fugitives from the battle. Whereupon the Persians took courage and set themselves either to gain the victory by conquering and subduing the city or being smitten in the actual conflict to escape reproach and slaughter from 'their king; for he was near and was a spectator of their struggle. But the citizens tried to loose from beneath the keystone of the arch of the tower in which the Persians were, and they were engaged in loosening the supports ; and while this was taking place, another tower was subdued, and another and another in succession, and the guards of the wall were killed.
But Peter, a man of huge stature, a native of 'Amkhoro, being clad in an iron coat of mail, held the battlement of one side alone by himself; and did not allow the Persians to pass, and repelled and hurled back with a spear those who assailed him from without and within, holding his ground and standing like a hero: until at length, when five or six towers on another side were subdued, he also fled and was not killed. And the Persians first got possession of the whole wall and held it; and they spent a night and a day and the following night in killing and driving back the guards. And at last they descended and opened the gates, and the army entered, having received the king's command to destroy the men and women of all classes and ages for three days and three nights. But a certain Christian prince of the country of Arran pleaded with the king on behalf of a church called the Great Church of the Forty Martyrs; and he spared it, being full of people. And after three days and three nights the slaughter ceased by the king's command. And men went in to guard the treasures of the Church and of the great men of the city, that the king might have whatever was found in them. But the order also was given that the corpses of those who were slain in the streets and of those whom they had crucified should be collected and brought round to the northern side of the city, so that the king, who was on the south side, might enter in. And they were collected, and they were numbered as they were brought out, eighty thousand; besides those that were heaped up in the taverns, and were thrown into the aqueducts, and were left in the houses. And then the king entered the treasury of the Church (…).
But the gold and silver belonging to the great men's houses, and the beautiful garments, were collected together and given to the king's treasurers. But they also took down all the statues of the city, and the sun-dials, and the marble; and they collected the bronze and everything that pleased them, and they placed them upon wooden rafts that they made, and sent them by the river Tigris, which flows past the east of the city and penetrates into their country. But the king sought for the chiefs and great men of the city; and Leontius, and Cyrus the governor, who was wounded by the arrow, and the rest of the great men, were brought to him; but the Persians had killed Paul Bar Zainab the steward, lest he should make known to the king that they had found a quantity of gold in his possession. But they clothed Leontius and Cyrus in filthy garments, and put swine-ropes on their necks, and made them carry pigs, and led them about proclaiming and exposing them, and saying, "Rulers who do not rule their city well nor restrain its people from insulting the king, deserve such insult as this". But at last the great men, and all the chief craftsmen, were bound and brought together, and set apart as the king's captives; and they were sent to his country with the military escort which brought them down. But influential men of the king's army drew near and said to him, "Our kinsmen and brethren were killed in battle by the inhabitants of the city", and they asked him that one-tenth of the men should be given to them for the exaction of vengeance. And they brought them together and counted them and gave to them in proportion from the men; and they put them to death, killing them in all sorts of ways.
But the king bathed himself in the bath of Paul Bar Zainab, and after winter he departed from the city. And he left in it Glon the general as governor, and two Marzbans, and about three thousand soldiers to guard the city, and John Bar Habloho, one of the rich men, and Sergius Bar Zabduni, to rule the people.

As you can see, out of the three accounts, the one by the Pseudo-Zacharias of Mytilene is the longest and more detailed one. Both him and Joshua the Stylite were strictly contemporary to the events, while Procopius and Caesarea wrote his works towards the middle of the VI c. CE or slightly later. The great familiarity with the events and with the city of Amida hints at the Pseudo-Zacharias being from some nearby location, for he furnishes plenty of detail absent from the other two accounts. Other than that, there are no important discrepancies between the three accounts with respect to the events at Amida: the city resisted firmly, until the Sasanian besiegers found some sort of tunnel that allowed them to slip undetected into the city and open the gates from within. But there are important differences regarding other events.

diyarbakir_harput_gate_inscr1.jpg

Amida was returned to Rome in the Second Peace of Nisibis in 363 CE. Emperor Valens rebuilt then its walls, that with some minor repairs and modifications are still the same that can be seen today. This Latin inscription at the Harput Gate mentions the augusti Valentinian, Valens and Gratian.

As you can see, the invasion caught the Romans completely by surprise, and utterly unprepared. Theodosiopolis in Armenia, which was the main Roman fortress between the Euphrates and the Black Sea, fell quickly and probably without resistance. Procopius says nothing about it, which strongly hints that he wanted to skip over some embarrassing fact (he had an official position in the imperial bureaucracy, and was writing in Greek in Constantinople; he clearly styled himself as an “imperial historian” and so he had to take care about what he wrote), but the other two sources offer some details that don’t leave the Roman defenders in a very good light. Both Joshua and the Pseudo-Zacharias agree that Theodosiopolis fell quickly into Kawād I’s hands, but they disagree about almost everything else. According to Joshua, it was the commander/governor of the city Constantine who surrendered it to the Sasanians, who then looted the city and slaughtered its inhabitants, while Kawād I rewarded Constantine by giving him a post in his army. The Pseudo-Zacharias does not specify how did Theodosiopolis fall, and that afterwards Kawād I treated its inhabitants “mercifully”. This seems to imply that the city offered no resistance; otherwise the normal procedure would have been to let his army loot and burn the city at will. The Pseudo-Zacharias also differs from Joshua about Constantine’s fate, and says that he was carried as a prisoner with the invading army. Both accounts state that the Šāhān Šāh left a garrison in the city, although Joshua adds the detail that the Roman commander Eugenius later retook the city while Kawād I besieged Amida. This could have been the same Eugenius who defeated the Lakhmids at Sergiopolis a few years earlier; the fact that he was able to act both in Mesopotamia and Armenia implies that he was a high-ranking commander, perhaps the Magister Militum per Orientem himself. But as you will have doubtlessly noticed, the Roman Field Army of the East is completely absent from the operations report and avoided any direct encounters with the invading Sasanian army, which hints strongly at a considerable disparity in forces.

There are two important points that appear only in the account by Joshua the Stylite: the role of the imperial envoy Rufinus and the depredations of Kawād I’s Arab allies.

The degree of unpreparedness of the Romans can be ascertained from the role played by Rufinus. Kawād I invaded in August, late in the campaign season, probably after having conducted a thorough gathering of his forces and received Hephthalite reinforcements. The court of Constantinople was possibly informed about the Šāhān Šāh’s plans too late to try to organize a military response, and so they sent Rufinus to the East with an unspecified amount of money, and orders to try to buy the Sasanians off only if they had not crossed the border yet. That the reaction of Anastasius I came extremely late can be inferred from Joshua’s account: by the time Rufinus reached Caesarea in Cappadocia (modern Kayseri in Turkey), Kawād I had already taken Theodosiopolis and was marching towards Amida, laying waste to Roman Armenia. But for some reason, upon learning this, Rufinus left the money in Caesarea and went to meet anyway Kawād I anyway to try to convince him to accept the money in exchange for a retreat; according to Joshua he ended up as a prisoner of the Sasanian king (either Anastasius I’s bribe was too small or Kawād I was fed up with the Roman augustus).

The other important point in Joshua’s account that is lacking from the other two is the tale about the exploits of the Lakhmids under their king al-Nu’mān II. The Arab auxiliaries of both sides were mostly employed for raiding, foraging, reconnaissance/screening and similar tasks. While the main Sasanian army was besieging Amida, Kawād I ordered al-Nu’mān II to carry out a large-scale raid to the south, and the Roman attempt to intercept it ended in a complete disaster, with the infantry being abandoned by the cavalry in its flight and massacred (despite Joshua’s comment that they formed in a “testudo” formation, a proof that this old Roman tactic was still known and employed by Late Roman infantry during the VI c. CE). We do not know what force the Romans deployed for this task, and how large it was, although obviously it was no match for the Sasanians. From Joshua’s text we learn that it included not only the Arab allies of Kawād I, but also “Huns”, probably all or part of the Hephthalite contingent included in the Sasanian army, and perhaps even other forces. Later in the century, the Lakhmids alone were able to raise 10,000 men for a single raid, so this could have been an exceptionally large force for a pillaging expedition. It also gives an idea of the magnitude of Kawād I’s army: on top of the Iranian forces, it included his Arab allies, an Hephthalite contingent and forces from other vassal territories (notice the reference to “a prince of Arrān” [Caucasian Albania] in the account by the Pseudo-Zacharias). This level of effort was possible because there was peace in the Central Asian borders of Ērānšahr, as this expedition had been undertaken practically on the Hephthalites’ behalf. The raid reached Edessa and Carrhae and notice how Joshua states that the defenses of Edessa had been neglected, and the Roman authorities had to improvise and repair and improve them on the spot with what they had at hand. Another telling sign of the Romans’ complacency was that despite the fact that the Sasanian army had invested Amida (which was not that far from these cities) the raid took them completely by surprise, and no effort was made to force the villagers to abandon their settlements and seek refuges in the fortified cities; hence the great number of prisoners taken by al-Nu’mān II.

Erzurum_1717.jpg

View of Erzurum/Theodosiopolis according to an engraving published in Paris in 1717 in the “Relation d’un Voyage du Levant” by Joseph Pitton de Tournefort. The extension and shape of the city in the early XVIII c. was still very much the same as it would have been in Late Roman times.

The siege of Amida is described in similar terms by the three sources, although Joshua and the Pseudo-Zacharias offer considerably more detail than Procopius, with the Pseudo-Zacharias’ report being the most detailed of the three. In Procopius’ account, it is noticeable his favorable view of Kawād I, as he is described as a fearless warrior who stood under the walls encouraging his men to escalate them (and menacing those who tried to flee, which incidentally confirms that the Sasanians were still as harsh in their treatment of deserters and “cowards” as they had been under Šābuhr II). The defense of Amida was carried out in terms similar to what happened in 359 CE, with the defenders making use of sophisticated war machines that were more effective than the ones used by the Sasanians, and the latter resorting to building a ramp to assault the walls, the tactic which had finally been successful 150 years before, but which now failed due to the effective countermeasures taken by the defenders. But in the end, according to Procopius and the Pseudo-Zacharias the city fell due to carelessness, with the Sasanians managing to sneak into one of the towers by night through an unguarded tunnel, and latter managing to seize the neighboring towers against the spirited defense of the garrison and the citizens (Joshua though blamed the fall of the city to an assault with ladders). It is interesting to notice that the tower seized by the Sasanians was defended by monks from a nearby monastery, which gives an image of these “holy men” a bit more warlike than what we are used to. Also notice how the Sasanian success in holding this tower and seizing the neighboring ones was due to their archery, a war craft in which apparently they still surpassed the Romans.

Like in 359 CE, Amida was taken by assault, and the city suffered the usual fate reserved for such occasions; and Kawād I allowed his troops three full days for looting and slaughtering, although Procopius twists this grim reality to offer a more favorable image of Kawād I; but the Pseudo-Zacharias gives a more plausible (and bloody) account. Both Joshua the Stylite and the Pseudo-Zacharias of Mytilene offer the same number for those slaughtered by the Sasanian army at Amida: 80,000 people; and that coincidence is remarkable in itself, but barely credible. It is difficult that a small city like Amida would have been able to lodge 80,000 people within its walls, even if all the villagers of the area had tried to seek refuge inside. But still, it would be fair to imagine that most of the civilian inhabitants were massacred, while the rich people and the Roman officials were made prisoners (and some were delivered to the Iranian noblemen who accompanied the king as a reward, perhaps a sign that Kawād I still had to thread carefully with his nobles). Most of the captives taken by the army of Kawād I in the Roman Empire were transported to Pārs and settled in the city of Arrajān, which was rebuilt and renamed by this king as Vēh-az-Āmid-ī Kawād (in MP “the better Amida of Kawād”)

The accounts by Joshua the Stylite and the Pseudo-Zacharias of Mytilene are also quite critical of the behavior of the commanders of the city. Joshua accused them of arrogance and of allowing a mocking and boastful behavior by the people of Amida unbecoming of good Christians, but the Pseudo-Zacharias of Mytilene offers a more credible account. According to him, after the first failed assaults, and due to the lateness of the season, Kawād I sent them a message saying that if they paid a rescue for the city, he would spare them and abandon the siege. But the leaders; whom the author names: Cyrus the governor [presumably a Roman official], Leontius the chief councilor (head of the city council, βουλή [boulé] in the Greek-speaking part of the Empire) and Paul Bar Zainab the steward, refused and even dared ask the Šāhān Šāh for compensation for the destruction brought by his army to the territory of Amida. This was a reckless act given the inaction of the Roman field army, and a plain insult to the Sasanian king, who of course now had to take the city at whatever cost, or lose whatever prestige he had left in front of his subjects (let us remember that he had already been dethroned once).

After the fall of Amida, with his army loaded with booty, Kawād I retreated back to Ērānšahr, as it was already mid-January. To make things worse, he left a garrison of 3,000 men commanded by a “general” called Glon by the Pseudo-Zacharias and Glones (the Hellenization of Glon) by Procopius, together with two marzbāns and having appointed two of the surviving “leading citizens” of Amida to lead what was left of the municipality. The detail about the two marzbāns must have been particularly alarming for the court of Constantinople, as these were not mere military officials, but they also had a territorial and administrative jurisdiction; i.e. this hinted that Kawād I harbored the intention of carrying out territorial annexations.

The balance of this “blitzkrieg” could hardly have been more disastrous for Rome: in five months and a half (August 502 CE to mid-January 503 CE) Kawād I had taken two of the most heavily fortified cities of the Roman East (one of them probably by treason after its commander Constantine had sided with the invaders), unhinging its defenses, had looted and pillaged a wide strip of land from central Armenia all the way south to Carrhae and Edessa, had captured thousand of prisoners who had been transported back to Ērānšahr, and had thoroughly humiliated Roman arms: the Field Army of the East had cowed in front of the invaders, and when a Roman force had tried to intercept the raid led by al-Nu’mān II, it had been almost completely destroyed. And as a personal humiliation to Anastasius I, his envoy Rufinus had been made a prisoner by the Šāhān Šāh after the latter refused to accept the “bribe” he had offered him in name of the augustus. The only redeeming fact was that Eugenius had been able to retake Theodosiopolis while Kawād I was busy besieging Amida. Now, Anastasius I would need to mobilize all the resources of the Roman Empire to counterattack and at least recover the lost territory.

Solidus_Anastasius-I_Rome.jpg

Gold solidus of Anastasius I. On the obverse: D(-ominus) N(-oster) ANASTASIVS P(-ius) F(-elix) AVG(-ustus). Reverse: VICTORIA AVGGG(-usti). Struck in Rome under the Ostrogothic king Theoderic.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Lol, "The better Amida of Kawad" :D What a troll, hillarious.

It was a repeat of what Shapur I had done in the 250s CE after capturing Antioch and deporting its population to Khuzestan. And Xusro I would again do it in the middle of the VI c. CE.

• 2Like
Reactions: