• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
27 and 22 screenies in the last two updates, It's Amazing! The limit has been set to 20 screenies/pictures per update and we advise you to wait either a few hours or until someone has replied to your update, to post another one. It's all in this here post.

Well, that's a bummer. I definitely wasn't trying to break any rules. And after I looked all through the FAQ for info on a screen-shot limit. Sorry.

(And sorry to the readers, as now I have to edit the already-written further parts for 1082 to conform to the limit. So that will slow things a bit more than I had planned.)

As for the back-to-back posts issue, they're not consecutive game posts, just a reply-to-feedback followed by the update. I suppose I could always incorporate the feedback responses into the post itself. More likely, though, I'll just wait, if that's the idea.

(Note to Qorten: While I'm glad to abide by the "wait between posts" rule, said rule is not, in fact, listed in the post to which you linked. [Unless I somehow missed it.] Just so you know.)

Again, my apologies.

Just read through this, the chapter titles are the best part. Massage in a battle inspired some chortling

Well, that's a bummer. I definitely wasn't trying to break any rules. And after I looked all through the FAQ for info on a screen-shot limit. Sorry.

(And sorry to the readers, as now I have to edit the already-written further parts for 1082 to conform to the limit. So that will slow things a bit more than I had planned.)

As for the back-to-back posts issue, they're not consecutive game posts, just a reply-to-feedback followed by the update. I suppose I could always incorporate the feedback responses into the post itself. More likely, though, I'll just wait, if that's the idea.

(Note to Qorten: While I'm glad to abide by the "wait between posts" rule, said rule is not, in fact, listed in the post to which you linked. [Unless I somehow missed it.] Just so you know.)

Again, my apologies.

The 'wait between post rule' seems to be an advise.

But anyways, the pic limit rule ensures more updates! Huzzah!

Slaughter, cunning, sneakiness, Mstilvals (;)), Vsevelies (;)), ... this AAR has it all... :D

I lol'ed immensively at the name Sharukan :D

I lol'ed immensively at the name Sharukan :D

Apparently there was a medieval Oghuz/Cuman city with that name somewher in Voronezh Oblast as well. They were big Bollywood fans, the Steppe Turcs.

Last edited:
Gleb-zilla versus King Khan.

RGB: After having to write the name "Vseslav Vsevolodovich" over and over (when the Count of Scalovia/Galindia features in this chapter, later on…I respectfully disagree. Any more of this, and Gleb is going to start calling him "Bob", for convenience sake.

Enewald: Yes, the Cumans are annoyingly prolific. And annoyingly persistent.

colep55: Welcome aboard! The "chapter title as bad pun" is again, a tradition going back to phargle and anonymous4401, but I'm glad to follow it. For some reason, puns on song lyrics are a thing of mine. As evidenced by the AAR title, of course. (Not to mention the following reply…)

Murmurandus: "Always look on the bright side of (less) depth", huh? Yeah, it's true brevity may actually improve things.

And, in other good news, I checked through the remaining 1082 chapters, and they have 15, 18, and 21 screenies, respectively. So just a brief edit on part 5, and we're all good. :)

Milites: Welcome, also! Wow, I wish I was more up on my Bollywood! Apparently I've missed a zillion chances for puns, such as the title to this post. Well, I'll find a way, I'm sure.

RGB: I assume the region was named for the Sharu-khan I'm currently having such a problem with. Either that, or someone with *really* good foresight made that Russia to India trip a few centuries before Afanasy Nikitin did. ;)
s
Off to the store (allowing for an appropriate space of time), and an update when I return.

1082 (part 3): All over the plays.

So…

I was in danger of being over-run by the Cumans in Tmutarakan, and the capital was besieged.

108251thanksgrigorii.jpg

Which was why I was very grateful that al-Halwas had bought enough time for Marshal Grigorii to ride to the rescue.

108253perrysaved.jpg
108252saved.jpg

Not only was the capital saved, but the Cumans attacking Tmutarakan proved to have lost their desire to fight through a battle, even though Itlar was killing my troops at an alarming rate. His regiments quit the field at the Fourth Battle of Tmutarakan, before mine broke.

Barely.

108254ynotzyriane.jpg

But a win is a win. (Even if I hyperventilated from the tension and had a fierce bout of the hiccups.) And with the Cumans in retreat, this seemed like a good time to send the Mstislavs (who had been headed west to break the siege, but turned out not to be needed there) north to take Zyriane, which was undefended.

108255feoapawn.jpg

First, Feo's reign as a countess had led her Regency Council to rebel, and now she was being manipulated by the nobles who were raising her. Apparently, she just can't say no to a nobleman…not what a father wants to hear about his girl. :(

108256lotsofstuff.jpg

The March of the Mstislavs began with a quick skirmish as they re-crossed Sugrov, and Father Gabriel continued become more and more skilled.

108258disbandsuds.jpg
108259techcentral.jpg

The Sudovia regiment went home for recruitment, and even more technology arrived in Marienburg. I'd be really proud of how advanced Marienburg was becoming…if it wasn't a constantly-revolting mess of pagans I was trying to get rid of.

108260intersecty.jpg

Lower Don had fallen to Rostislav Hussain! Now he had a county, and we had access to Tmutarakan, via the Sea of Azov. Naturally, we only ge the chance to send help after the threat to Tmutarakan has ended. Of course! So, I sent Rostislav to take Sarkel, and dispatched most of his regiments (chiefly the Smolensk regiment, under my brother Roman) east to assist in Saray.

At which point, they promptly ran into the Cuman troops heading north from Tmutarakan, who were probably trying to stop our attack on Sarkel. Right, because we don't have enough intentional battles, we need to stumble into others by accident. :rolleyes:

108261disbandabkhz.jpg

At least the Abkhazia regiment got a break, as I sent them home for new recruiting. Then I remembered that Abkhazia was still suffering from the smallpox. So perhaps not exactly a "break"…

108264interceptkhopyor.jpg

Why head north to Zyriane, when the Zyriane regiment comes to you? (Okay, so we still have to actually siege the province. But I did find this particular accidental battle ironically satisfying.)

108262try4kasogs.jpg

With the Cumans gone from Tmutarakan, I decided to take my two remaining regiments and make a play for Kasogs, a rich and desirable province. I knew I was temporarily leaving my lovely city unguarded, but Itlar had fled from fighting me, and surely the regiments that had taken Lower Don could batter the retreating Cumans, despite the Cumans' superior numbers. Right?

108266mixedresults.jpg

Wrong. :(

Although at least there was good news from Khopyor, as the Mstislavs beat Zyriane before even reaching it.

108263battleoftheworn.jpg

And speaking of accidental battles, al-Halwas's Trapanids, recovering from their failed attempt to break the siege at Pereyaslavl, came upon the Cumans who had been driven off from Lower Don. Perhaps an equally-exhausted foe was just what the Trapanids needed to regain their winning ways?

108265trappedout.jpg

Perhaps not. Sigh.

Time to throw in some more Mstislavs I suppose...

Samartia, in the Msts of time.

Enewald: Well, Uncle Izyaslav hopes not! Be very embarrassing for him to lose Kiev when he isn't even in this war.

Murmurandus: Just remember, the most prominent Mstislav, the Count of Zhmud, is actually named Mstislav Mstislavich. So double points for that, I say.

Update (after a decent interval) later today.

1082 (part 4): The Quick and the Dread.

Clearly, our troops were becoming as exhausted as the Cumans'. (Do you think that the Ukraine might be just a bit too far afield for the Trapanids? Fair point, I suppose.)

108267mobsambia.jpg

So I mobilized the Sambia regiment.

108269sambrescu.jpg

Even for them, it would be a bit of a journey to defend the capital (from the ragged bunch that had just beaten al-Halwas), but, I hoped, not too far.

108268chasedowns.jpg

al-Halwas sure wasn't having any better luck against his foes in Pereyaslavl than he'd had those same Cumans in Chortitza. Meanwhile, Grigorii was chasing down the original besiegers, who had fled to Lukmorie, and I had reached Kasogs.

108270scrambledattack.jpg

The Mstislavs kept fighting their way north, but the regiments who had taken Lower Don had no luck fleeing back there after their defeat in Tana; Itlar pursued them, and was able to join up with Sharu-Khan. They chased off Mikula and Roman's troops again, and now had over 6000 troops available to retake the province.

It is fortunate that I did not learn of this until later. You really don't want to get the hiccups in high altitudes of Kasogs.

108271grigrescu.jpg

But there was no need to hiccup; mighty Grigorii had caught up! The capital regiment was outnumbered by more than 2-to-1 when he reached the battlefield, but our men were like a single, swift sword, and soon many Cumans had fled, and many others lay dead.

108274quickwingrig.jpg

Okay, so it was many more Cumans fled than Cuman dead. I was still glad of the quick victory.

108272northyeah.jpg

The March of the Mstislavs moved on, ever northward. :)

108273saraywinmaybe.jpg

It looked as though our small force in Saray was actually making progress, too.

108275samestorysarkel.jpg

Could Rostislav and the besiegers of Sarkel do as well against Itlar's demoralized hordes as Grigorii had? After all, they were outnumbered almost 3-1, and where Grigorii led a single, determined regiment, Rostislav was in charge of a motley group of five tiny detachments.

108277rostiwins.jpg

Which, it turned out, did not matter at all. :cool:

108278secondsarkel.jpg

Shortly thereafter, the other half of the Cuman force, under Etrek, fell up on Rostislav, and this time he was outnumbered by more than 3-1.

108279sameresult.jpg

It did not matter! It does not matter at ALL! None can stand against a Russian Arab!! NONE!!!

*ahem* Excuse me. Got a little carried away, there.

108276rebsnliths.jpg

The Mstislavs had reached Bulgar, but had to stop to put down a sizeable rebel force. Meanwhile Igor of Pronsk (whose continued tenure as marshal of the Pronsk regiment must have my father turning over in his grave) drove off the defeated Zyriane regiment, without much of a fight.

108280oops.jpg

al-Halwas's few regiments (with al-Halwas and the Trapanids no longer in command; I think that's the Sugrov regiment now in the lead) got another unpleasant surprise as they tried to, again, reorganize in Chortitza.

Or…did they?

108281heheheh.jpg

No, for with the arrival of both Vsevolodovich's Scalovians and Grigorii's capital troops, it was Sharu-khan who was suddenly in trouble.

108282suckit.jpg

Hahaha. And also, ha!

And also…crap.

108283ohnooleg.jpg

Not only was little Agafia dead (and as the father of two daughters, I could only imagine how much that must have pained Oleg), but her death meant that Oleg had inherited Sugrov from her, and was now gone from my court. His wife would stay, as my Stewardess, but if the children went to Sugrov, I would have no opportunity to make marriages for them. And Mikhail was (after Oleg) my eventual heir.

My entire back seized up at the news. I needed two massages just to be able to sit. Ouch.

Last edited:
Victorious in Battle, at Loss in Life... that's the average medieval way I suppose.

I think some Cumanslaughtering is needed to soften the pain a bit... ;)

Horde-ing the Horses.

Murmurandus: Yes, even though these Rurikovichi actually haven't lost that many kids (relative to the game norm), it still has to hurt, I'm sure.

Enewald: True, even though my troops have more of the "light infantry" (peasants with pitchforks, in other words), I'm surprised to note that I have the advantage (proportionally) with knights and cavalry, and the Cumans are chiefly swordsmen. I guess that "sweeping down from the steppes" stereotype doesn't necessarily hold.

Update later tonight to finish of 1082, and then I have to start writing 1083. The screenies have all been converted to .jpgs and I'm uploading them, so it shouldn't take too long, but there may be a few days' gap. Just so you know.

1082 (part 5): Without Oleg to stand on.

Even though my brother Oleg's departure from the court troubled me, at least the war seemed to be going well. The Cumans may have had more troops than we did, but thanks to our victories, they were a disorganized lot, and as long as we struck quickly and surely, we should prevail, I hoped.

108284backtoperry.jpg

So Grigorii returned to Pereyaslavl (accompanied by Vsevelodovich's Scalovians) to chase off the latest Cuman attempt at a siege.

108285swiftwinandsarkel.jpg

When they arrived, the Cumans promptly fled. Meantime, Rostislav Hussain was about to take Sarkel.

108288mikhailssarkel.jpg

However, as he already had a county, I had him leave separately, and let Mikhail Abdel become the Count of Sarkel. (Another Russian Arab? I never knew we had so many of them. Or is he a Russian Turk, because it's Abdel, rather than Abdul? I confess I'm confused.)

Also, the Cumans were attacking Sugrov again, as Itlar of Sugrov tried to reclaim his home province.

108289savesugrov.jpg

While Count Mikhail stayed behind to administer his new realm, the rest of the army (led by Alexei of Mozhaysk, but with Roman's Smolensk regiment making up the bulk of the troops) went to save Sugrov.

108297sugrovsaved.jpg

Mission accomplished. As at Pereyaslavl, the Cumans were now fleeing at the mere sight of our armies. This certainly made the battles easier. I celebrated the news with a nice warm bath in a local hot spring.

108286fruitsofcrusade.jpg

Pope Crazypants, on the other hand, was not having such a good time of things. His "crusade" continued to founder, as the Genoese lost their home province. (Still better than the other realm to join the "crusade" was doing, though, as the Nubians had been wiped entirely off of the map.)

And yet…this was actually the turning point for the Pope, as this was the event that led Germany and almost all of its Duchies (save Flanders, I think) to join the crusade. Perhaps they reconsidered how important it was to liberate the Holy Land from the Mohammedians. Or perhaps seeing Genoa fall made them aware of what a dangerous threat the Fatimid kingdom could be.

Or perhaps…they realized that Genoa was now possibly theirs for the taking. It is a lovely province; if I was closer and not in the middle of an endless war myself, I would have been interested.

Also, sometime around now, I learned that Irina was pregnant again, a going-away present from Oleg, it would seem. I guess there's nothing like inheriting your dead daughter's county to fire up the old drive! (Really? Bizarre.)

But what of Rostislav Hussain? I had sent him and his Kama regiment to join up with Grigorii and Vseslav Vsevolodovich in the capital. However, he encountered a small problem en route…

108287caught.jpg

Okay, a not-so-small problem. Rostislav had won at 3-1 odds against before, but could he possibly win at 30-1 odds??

108290rostireallyfucked.jpg

Or even worse? Could Rostislav and the brave men of Kama, these hardy warriors who subsisted on a diet of asterisks and ampersands, somehow prevail against a foe more than fifty times their size? Could they?

108295rostiescapes.jpg

Of course not. But almost half the regiment did escape with their lives, and Rostislav was in the lucky half, so I counted that as a win.

108291estatesneeded.jpg

All of this fighting, with three of my demesne regiments constantly under arms, had put me more than 500 ducats in debt. (And the only reason why the Polotsk regiment had been left at home was that the looting in the province had made recruiting difficult.) So when the suggestion of calling the Estates General was made again, I agreed to at least a small contribution. After all, I was already thought of as Arbitrary, and I was willing to risk being called Reckless, as well. (Which is perhaps an example of reckless behavior, so fair point, that.)

As it turned out, I was not thought to be Reckless, and the funds raised not only repaid our debt, but allowed for something else, too.

108292prussiaprince.jpg

I now had the funds to hold a proper ceremony, and be proclaimed the Prince of Prussia! At last.

108294fedorsproblemnow.jpg

Not only was the title prestigious, but it meant that I was free to give the county to little Fedor, the son of my late friend Simeon of Tmutarakan. Even though Vseslav Vsevolodovich thus became Fedor's vassal, not my own, it didn't matter, because I was both Prince of Prussia and Prince of Podlasia now, despite not being Vsevolodovich's direct liege.

(By the way, I've been reading the Feudal Handbook, and I think I discovered how a Count can become the vassal of a fellow Count. Recall that Stepan became Count of Marienburg while leading the Mountain Cheremisa regiment. But my father kept the Mountain[less] Cheremisa regiment in battle, prohibiting Stepan from taking up the leadership of the Marienburgers, and had that regiment, under Vsevolodovich, conquer Scalovia [and, later, Galindia]. As Marienburg was Stepan's sole demesne, its conquests were considered Stepan's, regardless of the fact that Vsevolodovich had carried them out in his absence. [If the Count had been a child, or a Countess, a marshal would be allowed to take lands for himself, but the principle is that an adult Count should always be allowed to consider his own regiment an extension of his power.] So Vsevolodovich would always be a vassal of Marienburg, whether Stepan or I or Fedor ruled there. I was not sure if this situation will survive Vsevolodovich's death, but as it is no longer impeding my attaining the relevant Prince titles, I hardly care.)

(Now that I think on it, I wonder what would have happened if I had given Marienburg to Vsevolodovich? Would the other counties remain his vassals, if he gave them to someone else? Interesting to consider.)

108296sinopereclaimed.jpg

Another long-standing issue was resolved when the Emperor Alexios finally annexed the Principality of Sinope from his rebellious brother, Manuel. (The breakaway Metropolitanate of Armenia had also been reclaimed.) As my father had speculated, perhaps the Emperor had let his brother remain at large for so many years to give impetus for his change to a dynastic succession. And now, after a decent interval, with the dynasty in place, he could retake the lands.

108298crazypantsstrikes.jpg

Apparently, Pope Crazypants felt that it had been too long since he'd justified his nickname, so he excommunicated the King of Hungary. So that's the kings of Scotland, France, Poland, and Hungary, as well as a powerful Dutch count. I've never been much for religion, but I am glad to not be subject to this "pope" and his bizarre whims.

By the way, it seems Pope Crazypants used to be thought of as being Modest. That's crazy talk! In any event, no one calls him that, any more.

108299pereysavedagain.jpg

The latest Cuman attack on the capital led to an actual battle, with both sides fighting hard. But we won, so that was good.

1082100alexeihelps.jpg

Alexei's army had reached Saray, so possibly we could finish the siege at last. However, the Cumans had just levied a large regiment in Manych (their new capital), so we wouldn't be heading there next. (Oh, and Roman's daughter was sick.)

1082101saraytakenthanks.jpg

As we reached late November, I found myself giving thanks that Saray had finally been retaken.

1082102hugostress.jpg

Hugo von Franken was stressed? He's twelve years old, for St. Peter's sake! What does he have to be stressed about??? Guh, now I needed a nap.

1082103alexiewhupped.jpg

So Alexei had moved to Sarpa rather than face the Cumans in Manych. Unfortunately, the Cumans had also moved into Sarpa.

This did not end well. Damn horse archers.

1082104finalmap.jpg

At the end of the year, we had taken Desht-I-Kipchak, Lower Don, and Sarkel, and re-captured Saray. And we'd won four battles for Tmutarakan, and at least that many in Pereyaslavl.

But still it was a long and grinding year, and as I look to the future, I wish to wrap up the war as soon as possible. Questions abound:

I see that the Cumans are attacking Tmutarakan again…can I finish my siege in Kasogs before I must return home to defend it? Or can some other units be brought down to save Tmutarakan in my place?

The Mstislavs had almost taken Zyriane; could they return to play any part in the coming battles?

And I also see that another offensive has been launched against Sugrov. Could I beat them back? Should I? Losing the county would be the best chance I have of bringing Oleg (and Mikhail) back into my court.

Questions, questions and more questions…you can see why I hope to spend most of 1083 in bed. Taking a very long nap.

A couple of notes from the map, above. Cousin Vseslav is at war with both the Tribe of Sames and the Tribe of Ural. It isn't going well, with the Sames having taken Orsha (and sieging Jacwiez) and the Ural having acquired Minsk. But Vseslav has taken Veliky Usitg and is sieging Hlynov and Syrj, so it's probably too soon to tell.

Also the Turkmen are at war with the Pechenegs, and have snuck in and grabbed Belgorod, forcing the Pechenegs to move their capital to Pereschen.

In International News not already mentioned, Sevilla conquered Cordoba. Castille went to war with Mallorca, taking Almansa, Denia, and Zaragoza before signing a peace treaty. And Poland and Kiev had been at war, a consequence of Uncle Izyaslav having backed the rebellious province of Vladimir Volynsky when it briefly declared independence from the Poles. That didn't last, and it cost Uncle Izyaslav a fair amount of ducats in peace agreements. And I apparently missed where Ragusa became independent again last year. They were able to make peace with Croatia, but then Serbia reabsorbed them.

So ends the longest and most grueling year of my life. To those who read this, I wish you peace, blessed peace.

31st December 1082
Gleb Svyatoslavich, of the House of Rurikovich
Prince of Pronsk, Ryazan, Cheremisa, Smolensk, Podlasia, and Prussia (finally!)
Count of Pereyaslavl, Tmutarakan, Polotsk, and Smolensk. (And NOT Marienburg, praise Heaven.)​

Pope Crazypants is as convincing an argument for Caesaropapism and at the very worst, Autokephaly, as any may hope.

Nice to see how Rus is getting Glebified... :D