- Aug 8, 2017
Heróis do Mar - Chronicles of the Portuguese EmpireA nation of conquerors. A country of pioneers. A kingdom of heroes. For seven long centuries, the Portuguese had been fighting for their homeland in the Wars of Christian Reconquista, struggling to expel the Moors from the Iberian Peninsula. First, as vassals to the Kingdom of Asturias, then to Léon, and finally, as the independent Kingdom of Portugal as founded by Afonso I, the Conqueror, in 1139. Quick to organize themselves as a coherent fighting force and a strong State, the Portuguese were the first in Iberia to restore their homeland, reaching the Algarve by the mid-13th century.
A Portugal Narrative AAR
A Portugal Narrative AAR
Having been defending against Moorish aggression for centuries, Portugal was finally able to launch an offensive for God and country. The target was Ceuta, an important trading entrepot along the North African coast. Its position was of paramount importance to the control of trade that flowed from Africa into Europe, it was a key outpost to protect against Muslim attacks, and also a major flanking position should Portugal find itself at odds with its powerful neighbor: the Crown of Castile.
The Conquest of Ceuta in 1415, however, had far greater repercussions for it was the starting point to the Portuguese Empire. Sandwiched between the End of the World and the Castilian kingdom, Portugal had little hope of survival but to launch itself into the unknown. The occupation of the Azores and the island of Madeira proved to the Portuguese crown that the discovery and colonization of overseas territories was not only a possibility but a profitable one. The gradual decline of the Greek empire to the east and rise of the Muslim Turks meant that it was even more of a priority to skip the middleman and go search for the lucrative Indian spice trade directly at the source. Funded by an alliance between the rising middle-class, a powerful Crown, and the Catholic Church, Portugal underwent a maritime rebirth that would launch the Kingdom into the greatest enterprise the world had ever seen: the Age of Discovery.
Portugal would no longer be the End of the World. It would be the beginning of a New One.
- This is my first ever AAR and I am very much hoping to see if it will work out. Any support is appreciated.
- As a non-native English speaker, I am sorry for any mistakes and/or weird sentence structure and welcome any advice.
- Even though I know there are probably many Portuguese AARs on these forums, I chose the country for my first AAR because of my familiarity with its history and because I enjoy its gameplay.
- I will be attempting a narrative/history AAR alternating between descriptive text and some other flavorful formats, like letters, diaries, etc.
- This AAR will be written from the POV of Early Modern Age Portugal and as such the characters' opinions and points of view do not correspond to my own. I do not endorse in any way the atrocities carried out by the real Portuguese empire on their colonies.
- My main goal for this AAR will be to have fun with the game and think of cool narratives for its events. I will try to colonize the African Coast, Brazil, and maybe the La Plata Region, while also reaching and establishing colonies in India and Southeast Asia. Anything else will come along as the game goes.
- The title of the AAR is Portuguese for "Heroes of the Sea", the first line of the Portuguese national anthem.
- Hope y'all enjoy it!