• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Congratulations, your updating pace is even worse than mine! :p :D
But good to see that this hasn't stopped completely. It is an entertaining little story, written in an amusing way as well.
Why did the Spaniards kill the rebels in Tangiers? What the hell were they doing there anyway, do they have access through Morrocco's lands? Were they at war with them?

Hello citizens. I have gone through four different image hosts, count them, four and here is a brief summary of them for those who might be interested:

Pictureposter: What a darling - limited to 50,000KB per day which is totally inadequate for a project of this size. Also they now delete files not accessed for a year or two.

IMGbolt: What a darling - too bad their host hated their bandwidth usage and the webmaster abruptly closed the site without warning. Those watermarks they added in the last days added insult to injury.

Webshots: These guys have a habit of starting great services and then charging for them, which I refuse to do. First there was Webshot's daily desktop, which they then limited to 800x600. Then there was All You Can Upload, which lasted a few months in total (anonymous upload service like IMGbolt). I tried Webshots standard service, but they won't let me post full size links. Fine! Have it your way, Webshots.

Divshare: A big hassle to upload and register, but then, if I learned one thing from IMGbolt it was that an image host ought to be long lived and reputable before one trusts your pictures to them. These guys have a fancy site and have been around two years apparently. They don't appear to want people like me posting full hotlinks, but I found a way to do it. Now...if they'll just cooperate and offer the service they advertise...I won't have to do this again. I will eventually transfer the other hosted pictures here, except for the pictureposter one or two. Pictureposter is my image hosting darling.

@Duke of Wellington
Aye, Bure produces gold. There's another gold province in there somewhere as well (Fez only has Bure). The economy of Fez be great enough to sustain the gold with no inflation.

@Emperor_krk
Hehe.
Tangiers is a coastal province, but in 1.09 Spain also gets a land bridge to Gibraltar. Tangiers is in the grimy hands of the Moroccans, who are in a long pointless war with Spain. However, we have denied military access to Spain to protect Morocco. Now Morocco wants us to be their vassal. Sure, Morocco. Sure.

Remember readers, I intend to finish this. Some year or other.

Haven't been around much myself, but after finally visiting the EU2 AARs again, I'm glad to see this among the updates. The gains against the Ashanti were a great victory for Fez, and another step toward gaining strength in the region to rival Morocco.

BTW, as far as image hosts, I never had a problem with Imageshack and Photobucket when I took part in the Safavid SG last winter. I actually haven't heard of most of the services you've used, so I guess the reviews are useful for future reference. ;)

*ahem* Where was I?

- - -

January, 1515.

We received 40 ducats in tax this year. That be what our new provinces give us, in addition to man power, glory, et cetera. Those ducats add up in ways our first lands' tax could never.

October, 1515.

We have introduced the Fez code of law to Say and Bure. Centralization increased! Technology now be 1% more expensive than if there were no policies.

January, 1519.

We received 42 ducats in tax this year. Bure grew to 10,000 citizens. Bure be a gold province and has enormously increased our research capacity. As evidence of the glorious trade of Fez, no inflation be caused by our royal mines.

January, 1520.

Mali offered us a Royal Marriage, but I had to decline, because I plan on having Fez claim the crown of Morocco. There be few rooms left in Lord Muhammad II's harem.

Now we be recieving reports of religious turmoil in Europe. I know not what they are, but we can now tolerate "Protestants." I care not about these swine, so Fez shall simply be able to stomach the heretic Shiites...to a small, symbolic degree.

July, 1520.

Here be the generals' plan:

5816001-674.jpg

Shortly before our alliance expires, or now, for that matter, we shall end our treaty of military access in Morocco. We will also be claiming the throne in Morocco. At that time, we shall declare war, sweep in, and slaughter the Moroccans who dare to occupy Tangiers. We ought to take those other provinces too, while we're at it, because we don't have eternity to expand.

December, 1522.

5816002-9cd.jpg

Declined!

We have begun our liberation of Morocco. However, the Moroccans be proving to be as agile and slippery as the most malevolent west African snake. When we are victorious in Toubkal, their army simply slithers on to Fez, like a contagion. If we be victorious in Fez, they reinforce their army in their mountain fortress.

Lord Ahkbal Hamid, minister of religion this year informed me that the Moroccans have become pagan heathen, tainted by voodoo from the south, and that our duty as Muslims be to return Morocco to the lord and his messenger.

January, 1524.

"Ahmad the average" now rules Fez:

5816003-841.jpg

There was apparently a coup d'etat in the night. While I slept in the ministers' quarters, an unseemly plot was executed against King Muhammad II. Even so, we cannot complain when Allah provides for us. Notice, however, the desperate struggle in Toubkal whilst Fez be plundered by a rear group of banditry.

February, 1524.

Mali the warmonger, who does not have any casus belli, wants us to attack Benin. We're kind of busy. I dishonour the alliance, seeing as I don't have men standing around doing nothing.

5816004-ac0.jpg

This combat map reveals that we be attempting to assemble an army to attack the Moroccans from their soft, heretical southern side. We shall gut them!

June, 1524.

Moroccan lord Ahmad al'raj just cost me a pile of ducats in Bure. Morocco has done very well considering their disadvantages. Our poor fortune and the incompetency of certain deputy marshals have placed us in a position in which we must outspend Morocco to flood their mountain defenses with believers.

March, 1526.

Now the Moroccans have Songhai [they be at Gao] stabbing Fez in the back, and lord Muhammad II is leading their army! What treachery be this? King Ahmad will not stand for this insult.

Songhai must learn the lesson of the true Muhammad - he who be against a muslim, be against god's army itself. This shall manifest.

Last edited:
The time between your updates seems to be growing exponentially. :p Anyway, nice to see that you still keeps up with leading Fez to greater glory!

It will be interesting to see what you get out of this war. Breaking the fortress at Toubkal might be hard. But I have no doubts that the might solderis of Fez will bring it down.

April, 1527.

After about five attempts, we slaughtered Muhammad II's army and put him in exile.

In mean while Songhai is making life in Fez miserable. We have to simultaneously fight both Songhai and Morocco when we are ill equipped to do so.

July, 1527.

An exceptional reserve of camel milk this year! Fez needs all the ducats it can get.

Be that a Songhai lord leading an army? That appears to be King Muhammad of Songhai. The other day I asked Muhammad, minister of royal affairs, "Do we have to fight every noble in the world?"

5915840-e2c.jpg

February, 1528.

The alliance Morocco struck with Songhai was a brilliant tactical move. I had never even considered Songhai, let alone thought they could be a threat, but they effectively tripled Morocco's fighting power. We were forced to cede Bure to Songhai after their involvement made victory for Morocco apparent. Now Fez must fight quickly before peasants rebel across the land!

5915841-e80.jpg

As you see, I have also arranged a new alliance for Fez. Our holy neighbours to the South, Mali, shalt do us good when dealing with heathen forces in the area.

May, 1529.

With Songhai not harassing us, Morocco quickly capitulated. Songhai made the whole affair difficult and expensive. That be how Fez' wars usually end. We plan on annexing much of Morocco.

August, 1529.

< http://divshare.com/img/5915842-ce4.jpg >

Fez. The war was more expensive and more difficult than it should have been, costing some odd 1400 ducats I believe. We have secured military access through Morocco, for the other provinces we now claim. They will be happy to declare war when Fez attends to Songhai, allied to Morocco. These Arabic states sure hung us out to dry.

Last edited:
Well that really would come as a bit of a surprise to have Songhai turn up. A wise move I think to cede Bure for now and take down Morocco. I trust that you will not forget Songhai's deeds and that they shall pay in the future. But certainly you came out much better after those big gains from Morocco.

Good strategic play there, giving up a little to gain a lot. Looks like a colony and a TP in there to me, so hopefully the 6 BB from the other three provinces won't be enough to grab Spain's attention.

September, 1529.

Mali be asking for war with Songhai. I think we should just get an obscure alliance with Qara Koyunlu or some one so we are protected but don't have to deal with this. Fez be worn from years of conflict and cannot afford petty conflicts. I have advised our lord to refuse to join the war. Fez has more to lose from a war than a few protests in the military.

< http://www.divshare.com/img/6812293-0ea.jpg >

May, 1530.

Fez has reinforced the quality of their armed forces, because we lose many battles due to low morale. Now we shall lose a few less.

July, 1532.

Fez has created its own new alliance with Mali. Mali be stuck with Songhai. This suits us fine. We need a lot of time to gather ducats and develop our infrastructure.

October, 1532.

I have invited Benin to our alliance to keep trouble in check.

< http://www.divshare.com/img/6812294-ab1.jpg >

Mali has been successful in their war with the Songhai and claimed Bure, the gold province, as their trophy. If we ever go after Songhai, we can annex them to Fez.

January, 1533.

Taxes this year are 59 ducats. Unfortunately, with inflation at nearly 30%, that is not more than we have been receiving. Methinks there be corruption in the finance ministry. We have not received our proper contribution of silks for years!

April, 1536.

A pagan ceremony was performed in Timbuktu! We have lost centralization!

< http://www.divshare.com/img/6812295-9c9.jpg >

Last edited:
Wow Fez are still going. One update every three months but still going. I wish I had the persistence to not move on like that. Well done and keep going.

You did it again! Most impressive.

It was a pitty that you didn't have the resources for going to war against Songhai with Mali. Getting the gold from Bure would have been good for your economy. What are you going to do with Morocco? It would be nice to see Fez as one whole empire, and not splitted into two.

Dear Olav,

yes. As you recall, we actually controlled Bure in days past but we were so weak from the Moroccan war that that king, probably yet another Mohammad of Songhai, could have seized all of Fez. We traded the wealth of Bure for Morocco's freedom, and in fact, when convenient, we'll take Toubkal, Gao, and Bure.

The years are flying past now, as Europe develops and Fez...well...we're not expanding too far north!

A few years of peace is what Fez needed. Not quite as much as it does a few lucky deflation events, but it helps. As long as the Europeans stay interested in their own affairs, Fez can make its own way forward. Benin could prove to be good insurance against your African fellows.

And now we return to our featured presentation; here be Fez.

- - -

July 1st, 1537. Commodore Zuwara of the western watch fleet has sent a missive to court, announcing that ships laden with lumber and sheep have departed from the wicked citadel at Morocco. They have run past the watch and departed for the Orient! This be terrible news, for if the Moroccans succeed in their plan, we can't conquer their petty nation in Africa. There be only a matter of time before they succeed.

January 1st, 1538. Taxes this year total sixty four ducats. All the rich Moroccan frontier milk has come to court. If they keep paying us this way, we shalt be able to raise an army again to deal with revots and petty kingdoms.

February 17th, 1538. Commodore Fayoum of the eastern watch fleet has announced that a fresh rebellion began in Al-Djazair. Freedom loving Al-Djazairians wish to submit to Mahomet, not the false prophets of the infidel Spanish.

7934173-fc9.jpg

March 9th, 1538. Two thousand cavalry have been ordered in Kabylia for the inevitable rebel spill over. Rebels are not known for their high intellect.

August 3rd, 1538. The fresh cavalry shalt travel to Aures to encourage the rebels to attack a plains province. If they should not, then the cavalry shalt hold the high ground defending Aures.

November 22nd, 1538. The Qara Koyunlu have taken Azerbaijan in a victory over Ak Koyunlu, Ak Koyunlu, and Ak Koyunlu. We saw the results; we hath a royal marriage to some cousin there.

< http://www.divshare.com/img/7934174-f90.jpg >

December 4th, 1538. According to our eastern scouts, we are victorious in the planned upon defence in Aures...

7934175-f35.jpg

After the battle, Fez enslaved the rebels for their idiocy.

December 8th, 1538. God damn dissidents in Portugal want twenty five ducats right before tax season. The royal treasurer, Hasan al-Jafar, has chosen to pay them, and hopes that we shalt receive more than that for having a stable nation.

January 8th, 1539. Spain has off loaded 13,565 men to siege Al-Djazair. We have helpfully sent the naval watch to port to irritate Spain, if possible. The tax was similar to last year's.

January 18th, 1539. My lord Ahmad has received military passage through the land of Mali, so that we might explore whatever may be in their realm.

7934177-5b6.jpg

There be a possibility that more of Fez's legendary desert sands went missing in that region and must be repatriated with all haste.

June 2nd, 1539. Anti Atlas revolted over a lack of protection from foreign invasion. Since they have no fortress, rebels control the province until the "southern cavalry division" finishes what they are doing.

August 26th, 1539. We have discovered the "Senegal," ruled by Portugal. This be good to know. And now, to slay those rebels pillaging our Sahara province.

April 25th, 1540. Using our combined northern and southern armies (numbering about 5,000 cavalry) we cleansed the Sahara.

September 19th, 1541. We sent a merchant to the infidel citadel of Andalusia, to take their money away for four ducats. There be one slot open. We also belatedly outlawed idols in Timbuktu to increase centralisation by 1. We've been trying to get control there for years!

August 30th, 1542. Mali has declared war on Songhai, claiming that Songhai be obligated to pay a tribute in Ivory to Mali, and hath refused. Benin has decided to abandon us. What can one expect from wicked pagans such as these? The only problem with this scenario be that Songhai be allied to Morocco. Whatever. Fare thee well, Songhai...

< http://www.divshare.com/img/7934178-791.jpg >

As the royal strategists of Fez view this matter, Songhai will quickly be over run, annexed to healthy Fez, and then a great feast shalt be held with all the elders of Songhai and their new masters.

Last edited:
Ali' Mohar Al-Fez frowned. He had been studying the royal ledgers for weeks, but what he saw was incomprehensible to him.

"Mohammad, be this the truth? Hath we truly heard no response from the council of elders for weeks?"

Ali' Mohar checked repeatedly; there was no sign of any reply, any visit to the chambers.

Mohammad Hassan looked down, and replied heavily:

"The elders grow tired of waiting. They want to know what be happening in Fez. With each passing day, they grow more suspicious. There be talk amongst them that the king of Fez has died; that Fez drifts along without leadership, and that no thing of consequence will ever happen here again. That, in essence, Fez be without a leader."

Mohammad reclined and continued his fiduciary checks.

"Mohammad, I value thy counsel above all else; what shalt be done to rouse the council of elders? Their input be essential to the good governance of Fez."

"The sultan, our lord Ahmad does not necessarily agree."

Ali' Mohar shouted, "The needs of great Fez come before the petty desires of the sultan! The annals of Fez must continue, whether the sultan has time for consulting the council of elders or no!"

Mohammad put his ledger aside and rose. He was tired of the constant court intrigue, the pleas, the struggle of the council of elders against the peasantry.

"Careful, mine friend. Throats have been slit for lesser words than those. There be little that we can do to lure the council of elders back. According to these records, the scientifically measured time interval beyond which the council of elders becomes impatient and abandons the sultan lies betwixt three and four months."

"What does it mean?"

"That the council have allied with foreign powers. This time, twenty five ducats or an unstable country side shalt not quell their arrogant worries."

"No! What shalt be done?"

Mohammad Hassan said nothing. He took an orange from a brass bowl and walked out on the wall, viewing Fez, as the breeze went by.

Ali' Mohar called out, "Lose not thy hope! Truly, the council of elders be of Fez, not of any other land. They may go on their foolish jaunts in England, mayhap, but yea, they shalt return and hold council in Fez once again!"

He thought, as he returned to his chamber, that now the waiting must begin.