• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hunter Wesley

First Lieutenant
May 4, 2005
Hello, so any way I find myself with copious amounts of time and a copy of EUII. Thus I will write what I hope will be a halfway entertaining AAR.

I'm not much of a character development person, so this will probably just be a sort of narrated game. I hesitate to touch the august art that this AAR writing has become, but we all have to start some place and well, you know, if you're bored too bad for you.

2011 notice: This is an image intensive thread, and many images have gone off-line since Here be Fez began. Instead of displaying broken images, I have chosen to link to where they formerly were hosted and place that link in carats like so:

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/eu2 2007-10-11 04-02-38-15.jpg >

The picture won't load. If you find any actual broken images, which do not display when you refresh the page, tell me and I can fix them. Please accept my apologies for the lack of pictures on the first few pages.

About me: I've had EUII since ...2003ish, and my, what a museum piece it be. Some games just get things right. I recently checked the new LibrAARy and note the nations which have never been AAR'd in a standard game. I'm rather astonished Fez has never been twisted to this purpose in so many years. So I'm doing it. Probably. Maybe. Or not?

Fez is an unimportant representative of Moors, as EUII says, "can hardly be considered a nation although at times was a power base for various factions." We will change this. We will make Fez better...

Fez, for the informed, be under attack in 1419, apparently some Filthy Spaniards want to reconquer Islamic Lands and assemble an empire. We'll see what we can do about that!

My knowledge of game mechanics be rusty, so we may see some stupid stuff happening.

I will try to make this screenshot intensive. Text AARs are so...bland, IMO. I have ~48MB bandwidth daily to deliver the story of Fez to ye, so shall it be. At about 120KB per screenshot, this gives me 100 impressions per day. Hmph. I really do adore Pictureposter though, they are nearly flawless.

Settings:
1419 Grand
Medium Agressiveness
Medium Speed
Medium difficulty

Here be the starting position.

4863802-aac.jpg

Court song: Falalalan (Hey, that Castillian culture seeped in somehow.)

Fez is moderately stable. We are united against the horrible horrible Portuguese, which, god willing, shall soon be crushed. Depending on the speed of our camels. They need some barley now. This, you doubtless know, be hard to come by in the desert and thus the war.

Our stalwart allies in Granada will be an excellent barometer of success.

Algiers are backing us up!

And we bitterly hate Oman, wherever those heathen may be. If we ever find them, not even god shall have mercy on them for misinterpreting the prophet's words.

We have 99 ducats. (And one "honourable ducat" which resides in the palace, but that's another story, be it not?)

Quickly I adjust our religious settings. We have complete acceptance of the Sunni. Since we may one day rule over Catholic sheep, we must also fully tolerate them.

We have no idea what "Orthodox" are. Forget them.
And the Shiites? Didn't we just say they were revisionist heathen?? Thus are our religious settings settled.

4863803-58a.jpg

Then we must attend to domestic policy. The weak lord of Fez, Uthman III (poor/average/poor) will make the coming years hard. No help at all.

I decide to centralise the nation, because we need better technology, such as...um. Camel stirrups, or whatever we're researching. Alas, the peasants have their traditional ways with their Camels, and protest. The stability be impacted. Behold!

4863804-1e5.jpg

I shall update you when some things happen. I may also link those screenshots to avoid problems later. We'll see.

Last edited:
this looks interesting, but you should place it in the Eu2 subforum.

A good start. Fez should be interesting to watch (and if your head gets cold, you can wear it too.) ;)

Any chance I could get you to size those screenies just a little smaller so it doesn't require scrolling sideways on the page? It's be a big help for my work computer that doesn't have the lovely widescreen.

Good luck!

Oooo Fez! I was wondering whether anyone was going to have a go at my list of un-AARed nations. I also was surprised to notice it had not been written about as it seems to be a very fun part of the world and starts with two reasonable provinces.

coz1 said:
A good start. Fez should be interesting to watch (and if your head gets cold, you can wear it too.) ;)

Any chance I could get you to size those screenies just a little smaller so it doesn't require scrolling sideways on the page? It's be a big help for my work computer that doesn't have the lovely widescreen.

Good luck!

Thanks for moving, I didn't know the EUIIs were now in a sub forum of EUIII.

And well, I don't know what to do about the screenshots. Compressing them produces a terrible looking picture. Should I just link them all?

EDIT - (I linked them, my bandwidth is scarce, in fact I probably have to put these pictures some other place)

Last edited:
Wtbrg said:
Thanks for moving, I didn't know the EUIIs were now in a sub forum of EUIII.

And well, I don't know what to do about the screenshots. Compressing them produces a terrible looking picture. Should I just link them all?

EDIT - (I linked them, my bandwidth is scarce, in fact I probably have to put these pictures some other place)
How about cutting off the bits that are unimportant? As well, I know reducing them in size can mean certain bits are unreadable so how about cutting those out of the screenie and just posting that, like say the diplomatic table or some such. It's no big deal to scroll, but it can take away from the AAR's effect if one has to do it too much. Just some thoughts. I'd actually prefer to scroll that follow a link. ;)

Hope this isn't too boring :p
---

Granada asked us to declare war on Castile. While we are hardly in a position to fight a war, we don't want to be left without allies either. Thus we shall pillage Castile, with emphasis on the pillage!

We just have to get past that Portuguese army in Tangiers first. I have commissioned 10000 men in Fez, which isn't good for our little treasury, but hopefully we can overpower the Portuguese and pillage our way to a balanced budget.

Portugal split their army. We should win...

...but our camels were hot, so we lost.

I also forgot how much better cavalry are in this stage. Oh well. Live and learn. We retreat to Orania!

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/eu2 2007-10-11 04-02-38-15.jpg >

Soon, seeing as we are united, we are at maximum stability and our great green army be fighting in Fez. They should retreat again, methinks. To Orania.

The fighting around Fez be fierce. A naval battle rages off the coast, and large armies be siege Granada and Castile. I note my allies extravagantly promote officials in the time of war. They will be sorry when their armies are vanquished.

We can move in June-July 1419, to slay the 6000 Portuguese in Fez.

One day, while in the Royal Treasury, I notice our ducats have nearly doubled! How can this be? Was allied loot shared? I know not! In any case this be good news for Fez. I commission 4000 cavalry in Tangiers, which has been vacated by the slimy Portuguese.

After finally disciplining the men in Orania, telling them that a weary camel does not justify defeat, and allowing them some fresh camel milk, we march to Fez. This time, the enemy shall not triumph!

July, 1419.

The battle in Fez has begun. The men, furious that the capital be under siege, fight well, and our cavalry outnumber the Portuguese isolated in the desert. The day will be ours!

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/eu2 2007-10-11 04-09-26-65.jpg >

...Unfortunately, our men again were spooked by the Portuguese tactics and fled to Tangiers, with a vastly superior army.

Clearly, this war be all about morale. Our men have no contest with these swine!

An army of 2000 Portuguese remain in the desert. The siege cannot continue. Fez be in shackles until we free it.

My lord Uthman demoted me to Baronet for the loss in Fez. He does not know the nature of combat. We had no choice. Men have deserted our army in the retreat to Tangiers.

The Portuguese, meanwhile, stealthily delivered 5000 cavalry to Fez. The siege continued. We commisioned a galley to begin transport to Portugal...and then, disaster!

The Portuguese have dumped 20,000 men in Fez! I pray that the hot sands will get some of them, or Fez be lost.

The siege Granada has laid on Andalusia goes well.

September, 1419.

Unfortunately, the winter comes and the mild Fez climate has treated the Portuguese well. None of their men deserted. I will have to fight them. The men depart to do battle in October.

October, 1419.

Fez is nearly lost. If we are not victorious in our battle, we will be in dire condition to resist the supercilious Portuguese!

eu22007-10-1104-23-26-58.jpg

My men fought very poorly. Perhaps they feel they have no chance. In any case, 3000 cavalry and 7000 infantry were slaughtered. The Portuguese lost about 1000 infantry.

Tangiers has no more manpower to reinforce the Royal Army with. This may be the end for Fez!

November, 1419.

Fez was taken by the Portuguese. The Portuguese now march on Orania. I have enough cavalry for a siege...

December, 1419.

Portugal unloaded 1000 cavalry to Tangiers. We nearly lost, but in the end the enemy was repelled from the blue shore of Tangiers. Unfortunately, that leaves us with too few men for a siege! We need men now! That accursed galley has been tying up manpower in Tangiers for months! We will not have access to the blacksmith until 1420. We need more time...

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/eu2 2007-10-11 04-30-16-22.jpg >

Late one evening, I was summoned to the tent of Uthman III. He was sweating in a fever, even though the frigid desert night closed around us. His hand trembling, he handed me a declaration...his successor. Uthman III was a broken man, having lost Fez. That night he went to the other side. I pray god shall treat him with mercy, he may not have been accomplished, but our lord was good.

January, 1420.

Finally and at last the new lord of Fez has been proclaimed! He is

'Abd Al-Haqq II.

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/eu2 2007-10-11 04-34-52-72.jpg >

This man was a minister for Uthman III; tragically this means the quality of Uthman's reign is reflected in that of 'Abd's.

These are dim times indeed for Fez.

At long last, in an inauguration ceremony attended by our lord, the galley was completed. We quickly commissioned as many men as we could afford to reinforce our army, for the glory of Fez!

Granada's siege of Andalusia just goes on and on, not to mention Castile's siege of Granada. This war has been harsh, but we may be on our way soon.

Finally. Andalusia is taken.

Portugal unloaded another weak army to Tangiers, which was, with considerable difficulty, dispatched. I realise now that Algiers' navy is protecting their shores from landings.

March, 1420.

Granada made peace with Castile, for the token sum of 20 ducats. However, Granada also made the king sign a document stating that Granada was the rightful owner of "Andalusia and lands beyond." For now, the war with Castile is over. The war with Portugal, however...

Scouts report: Lord Periera is commandng the Portuguese army. So that's why my men were trounced! They have some wily commanders in the field!

June, 1420.

After extensive study, the court has decided to allow merchants to trade abroad. Unfortunately...we can't afford that. In fact, we're nearly broke. We may be forced to take an Islamic Loan.

August, 1420.

The Royal Treasury opened a loan with a local merchant. The siege of Fez is going well, but the Portuguese have captured Orania. They could interrupt the siege.

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/eu2 2007-10-11 04-53-46-48.jpg >

December, 1420.

The lord of Portugal, being distracted by other affairs of which we know nothing has elected not to march on Fez, and we have recaptured it!

January, 1421.

We are finally able to take taxes this year, from Tangiers only. Total changes for this month: -1 ducat. We need more money to repay that loan.

Portugal has decided to bring in the new year by a fresh siege of Fez! This be alarming indeed, so I think we must flee to Atlas, and then we can work on Orania while Portugal be sieges Fez.

Portugal refused an offer I sent of white peace, for Fez alone.

In meanwhile, we can split some fresh cavalry in Tangiers for transport on the galley. Let us pray they are not caught by the mighty Portuguese navy.

February, 1421.

As soon as we took our galley out of the bay, we were ambushed by Portuguese war ships and a transport! The battle rages! Our galley does well in these conditions. Portugal has decided to vacate Orania. This be good indeed, but war loot be wanting.

The court has also decided that taxes are Islamically permissible, thus we may promote bailiffs!

Soon Portugal's navy arrived from Algeria, and though I may risk one galley against 13 war ships, I think that a foolish bet.

I have withdrawn the galley to Tangiers, for a loss, but we keep the galley!

We now be siege Orania.

Portugal unloaded another ineffectual army to Tangiers. I can only hope I have seen the last of Lord Periera.

March, 1421.

Lord Periera's army was unloaded to Tangiers, to do battle with 3500 cavalry...and LOST! They are fleeing to Fez! I shall end the siege of Orania to ensure this swine does not leave Fez alive.

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/eu2 2007-10-11 05-19-46-76.jpg >

After careful study of current trade revenues, I have decided trade is not worth the profit right now. Our traders shall remain in wait.

April, 1421.

My lord 'Abd Al-Haqq II promoted me to Baron for defeating Lord Periera.

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/eu2 2007-10-11 05-23-27-98.jpg >

About a week later, we met Lord Periera in Fez, believing victory was certain. Alas, we lost 2000 cavalry in Fez! Fez is now being sieged by Periera and 10,000 Portuguese.

May, 1421.

My lord demoted me to Baronet. I think him incompetent!

We move to Tangiers in retreat. Now there is an Algerian navy off Tangiers, I may be able to loot Portugal, at last.

Alas, we were caught by a Portuguese navy, and though we had many ships, our morale doomed us to retreat to Tangiers again!

August, 1421.

Our assault to recapture Fez failed. Start - 8000/10000 End - 6000/3000. We will rest in Tangiers and try again. We will slay Lord Periera.

Today a strange man came to court, and declared that, for the greater glory of god, he would establish a colony for Fez with 100 men! I have never before heard of such lunacy...where would he go? The whole world is occupied. Let him travel to Terra Incognita and establish his madness in the desert.

November, 1421.

The struggle with Portugal continues. Even before the heavy reinforcements, Periera's 4000 men easily battered the Army of Fez.

We must again attempt to plunder Portugal.

December, 1421.

The artisan's guild had a dispute with the merchants, so we decided to execute them. We can't afford this nonsense.

March, 1422.

We were victorious in naval combat off of Algarve. This war has to end. This be it:

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/eu2 2007-10-11 05-44-20-45.jpg >

-split-

Last edited:
coz1 said:
How about cutting off the bits that are unimportant? As well, I know reducing them in size can mean certain bits are unreadable so how about cutting those out of the screenie and just posting that, like say the diplomatic table or some such. It's no big deal to scroll, but it can take away from the AAR's effect if one has to do it too much. Just some thoughts. I'd actually prefer to scroll that follow a link. ;)

Really? Well I have two steps then...I think the best thing is to chop a bit off the sides of each screen so they can be wedged in 1024x768, which is what they are taken in. Quite a lot, but between map area and native resolution I think I am stuck there.

And I also need a more heavy duty host to have the pictures up there. Do you have any suggestions? What is easy and non intrusive? :)

Finally I unfortunately don't have time to finish this now, I'll do it tomorrow, maybe. :(

Wtbrg said:
Really? Well I have two steps then...I think the best thing is to chop a bit off the sides of each screen so they can be wedged in 1024x768, which is what they are taken in. Quite a lot, but between map area and native resolution I think I am stuck there.

And I also need a more heavy duty host to have the pictures up there. Do you have any suggestions? What is easy and non intrusive? :)

Finally I unfortunately don't have time to finish this now, I'll do it tomorrow, maybe. :(
I have used photobucket for years and have never had a problem (in fact, I am close to loading my 1,000th picture there.)

April, 1422.

Portugal refused a white peace offer of our diplomat. Barbarians.

May, 1422.

Lord Periera captured Fez again. Fez' finances are in poor condition. We cannot afford the war. We received 20 ducats in loot from Algarve, after defeating some recruits, but we don't have the navy or the men to loot the other provinces. We must return to Tangiers.

I tried to explain the situation to lord 'Abd Al-Haqq II, but he won't listen to me. Fez be going bankrupt, we have two loans and no ducats, and the capital be controlled by smelly Portuguese.

July, 1422.

We were forced to take a third loan. I am building equipment for 4000 cavalry in Tangiers.

We lost a fresh battle in the straits of Gibraltar.

October, 1422.

Lord Periera moved to Tangiers, and we lost that battle. Then our retreating forces lost a second battle in Fez. Then our forces under construction lost the battle in Tangiers. We lost a fourth battle in Orania, which we were fleeing to via Fez.

November, 1422.

Retreating reinforcements lost a battle against a few Portuguese in Fez. Both armies now retreat to Atlas. Perhaps we may win this war by staying in Algeria or Morocco, and let the Portuguese do what they will to the camels and the women.

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/eu2 2007-10-11 06-01-49-17.jpg >

April, 1423.

Algiers marched on Fez from Atlas, and I joined them to slay a Portuguese army. We now be siege Fez!

August, 1423.

We lost a battle with the galley again. The galley is a tool for plunder, and can actually win small battles, but any time that huge navy meets ours, peace negotiations with the Portuguese are just made more difficult.

October, 1423.

We captured, with the aid of our allies in Algeria, our capital. Whether Algeria shall aid us further remains to be seen.

Lord Periera ended the siege of Tangiers! He travels now to Fez, to engage our large army.

Periera routed our great army, benefiting from sublime morale. Now the army be split between Algeria and Fez, and I suspect Algeria shall not help me further.

March, 1424.

Fez be bankrupt. Just what we do not need.

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/eu2 2007-10-11 06-28-06-12.jpg >

April, 1424.

We took a fresh loan. Suuuure, we'll pay you back. No problem!

Lord Periera captured Fez, yet again.

May, 1424.

Lord Periera was slain by an Algerian army in Orania. That is one plague Fez is free of.

September, 1424.

A messenger came to court to proclaim that "Trebizond" had annexed "Dulkadir." We couldn't care less.

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/eu2 2007-10-11 06-34-40-28.jpg >

Algeria is helping us again.

-continued-

October, 1424.

We won two battles, but Tangiers was plundered.

February, 1425.

We recaptured Fez, and for the first time in history, there are no Portuguese on our sands, and none of our provinces are held by the foul Portuguese. We're still broke and at 0 stability though, because my lord 'Abd Al-Haqq II can't calm the peasants about the war, and, having no budget, can not bribe them to be still.

Population of Fez: exactly 5000. Many innocent peasants were slaughtered by the villainous Portuguese. Alas.

-end of installment-

Last edited:
Tough start. Reminds me of many hours i tried to survive as the Duchy of Athens last winter. You must be suffering the effects of war exhaustion by now which will only add to your agony. Hopefully you can get a peace soon enough so you can focus on paying off those loans :p

Screenshots look better too.

April, 1425.

Fez be forced, in order to maintain army and government, to take a second loan. Fez be not so good with economics. Most of our expenses are loan interest. Thus, our wealth shall be tied up for years to pay these loans!

June, 1425.

Portugal unloaded a fresh army to Fez. God willing, they now lack a leader, and Algiers has my forces reinforced there. We were victorious.

August, 1425.

We killed another 16,000 Portuguese in Fez. My, they are rich. We shall ride to Tangiers in an effort to prevent retreating forces from creating trouble.

September, 1425.

We won a battle with the galley!

October, 1425.

Their 1100 infantry defeated 10,000 cavalry on defense. Go figure? We killed 400 of them, and now the whole country be looted. Some day, the Portuguese shall pay for this.

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/EU2 2007-10-12 08-13-02-38.jpg >

November, 1425.

The Portuguese army which had fled from Fez to Tangiers now be too weak to subdue the peasantry. A few of the Portuguese took wives in Tangiers, but most of them fled the province or were killed by angry mobs. Angry Mobs: More effective than the Royal Army.

November, 1425.

We won a fresh battle against a weak Portuguese army in Fez. Eventually these dense Portuguese shall learn they are not making progress, and leave. That be all we want.

January, 1426.

Even though our galley has been stationed off the coast of Tangiers, Portuguese are still landing. Therefore, we deduced they were landing off of Morocco. We moved our galley south, and behold, combat with two Portuguese transports! We won!

...and now have to chase the same two transports north, in a bid to beat them again...

February, 1426.

As the loan interest far exceeds the nation's income, we will be going bankrupt again soon. Fun.

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/EU2 2007-10-12 08-23-46-77.jpg >

March, 1426.

As long as the war continues, the restless peasants will prevent our stability from rising. We thus can never repay these loans while the war persists. Portugal declined another two peace offers. Our bargaining status is at +1. I guess they think they're winning. They aren't doing too bad actually, army or no!

April, 1426.

I would rather expand our weak army than pay our last loaned ducats back the merchants as interest, thus I commission 2000 cavalry in Fez.

May, 1426.

The merchants gave us a fresh loan. Fez can only support 11000 men, so I guess I'll build a war ship or some expensive thing like that. Nah...a galley. They're better, even if they only cost 1/5 as much.

November, 1426.

Fez be bankrupt again. I disbanded men the support limit, but I expect we shall just take a fresh loan in December. We lost a battle off Gibraltar.

January, 1427.

Taxes are 12 ducats. Inflation is 16.2%, monthly changes are -.6d. Now if Portugal would go away I could address this, but, seeing as they continue to refuse all offers, demands, white peace suggestions...

May, 1427.

Fez is now known as "The sick man of Africa."

Aragon requested military access. I refused, because I tend to declare war on those same people centuries later and lose national stability. They will have to explore these lands some other way.

August, 1427.

The people of Fez are restless, they want more Anschluss, they say. I never heard that word before, so I am not sure what they mean. Today they all got together and started clearing out an Oasis. I rushed over to find out what was happening, and they said "We are clearing new land! The removal of this oasis will allow us to build new housing." More tax value, but I am troubled by the note in town which says our capital be overseas and getting 1% of tax value. Err.

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/EU2 2007-10-12 08-53-16-87.jpg >

January, 1428.

13 ducats have been received in taxes. I remember when our treasury was flush with 191 ducats!

February, 1428.

The Portuguese Swine have not attacked us in one year. Fez' war strategy currently is the following: Keep your head down.

Portugal has been blockading Tangiers, which may or may not also affect Fez, for more than that one year. I am constantly paranoid that they will land men and end the brief peace.

June, 1428.

Portugal landed about 1000 men in Fez, which we killed. Damn. No problem bringing the galleys out then.

December, 1428.

Portugal ended the blockade of the nation. Maybe we'll get more taxes this year.Also, outnumbered by Algerians nearly 2 to 1, we slaughtered more Portuguese in Fez. No plundering!

January, 1429.

Taxes are 15 ducats.

April, 1429.

We decided to improve our land technology at the expense of naval affairs. This has caused unrest within our realm, but this be just one more thing for people to cry over, as they are already complaining about the war, threatening revolts, refusing to pay taxes to our lord et cetera.

July, 1429.

Revolt! The peasants have gathered around the palace of 'Abd Al-Haqq II and are brandishing gourds and scythes! Fortunately we have the Algerians to help us.

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/EU2 2007-10-12 09-15-39-00.jpg >

August, 1429.

The finance minister for 'Abd Al-Haqq II mandated that all caravan routes be kept free of dogs, thus improving our tax revenues in Fez.

November 1429.

Have I mentioned that the Algerian army in Fez outnumbers us 2 to 1? It's like we are in a foreign land.

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/EU2 2007-10-12 09-22-43-67.jpg >

Algiers is fortunate their land be not torn by this war and can afford such extravagancies.

January, 1430.

Wow, be this the 30s already? Tax amounts to 4 ducats, so we have to be thrifty this year. We will not be able to pay all the men this December. Algiers now stations men in Tangiers as well as Fez! They act as if they are taking over the country! Still, I am grateful each time they slay a Portuguese.

June, 1430.

Glorious news! Portugal, more interested in what they cryptically refer to as "The new world" than our struggle, have agreed to pay a token indemnity to 'Abd Al-Haqq II and end the war! Fez is FREE! Also, following the custom in this kind of settlement, the king of Portugal signed a statement assuring that Fez merchants would not be harassed in Tago. There were a few lynchings and burnings at the stake I forgot to mention during the war.

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/EU2 2007-10-12 09-29-39-96.jpg >

Last edited:
July, 1430.

A messenger from Granada arrived with tidings of war. Granada has declared war on Aragon. This, I have decided be patently stupid especially as, of all the allies, only sweet Fez be crippled in the great war. Morocco has dishonoured our alliance, and I shall as well - we have nothing to lose but relationships to Granada and Algiers. They will try to seize Iberia. We shall try to seize them!

We have established a new alliance with Morocco.

A messenger from Aragon has arrived, and again asks for military access for that nation. I have refused. I don't want to take sides in this mess. I just want to take their land later. Land, please.

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/EU2 2007-10-12 09-36-22-12.jpg >

September, 1430.

Castile declared war on Granada. This be not exactly surprising. Then, Portugal declared war on the Granada alliance. Algiers declared war on Portugal's alliance. Indeed, I would have been foolish to stay in that alliance. Now I control our destiny. Let the boors slay the moors in Granada.

October, 1430.

Slowly, Fez is returning to life as the exhausted peasants return to their herds.

A messenger from Portugal requested military access for his nation. Far be it for me to refuse, because this discourages war between our lands. I have no ability or need to fight Portugal now, nor in a distant future.

Castile also requested access. I decline; we might want war with them some day. I believe such courts ask for access when they believe the granter is not a threat.

I arranged a Royal Marriage with Morocco.

November, 1431.

Much time has passed. The bankruptcy proceedings are complete.

April, 1432.

I invited Tunisia to our alliance. This could be useful. I fear attempting to improve relations, because of my lord's useless diplomatic skill, and the high cost of introductory letters.

October, 1432.

Granada surrendered Gibraltar to Castile. Now I have a border with them. You all knew the moment Fez stopped distracting Granada's enemies, Granada be doomed. In a way I wish to prevent this, but in a way...Fez shall be better off without that handicap. Castile tends to be weak at home any way, but this being the 1430s, they are still formidable to us.

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/EU2 2007-10-12 10-19-53-66.jpg >

October, 1433.

While strategizing with Moroccan generals, I learned that they had been warned by Portugal. I can scarcely imagine who Morocco could attack any way. Their only neighbour be I in Fez! Thus does Portugal scheme to attack the Royal Alliance of Fez.

November, 1433.

We have requested a map trade with the repressed people of the Hedjaz, under the yoke of the Mameluk lords. They enthusiastically agreed, in the process learning of Europe. We have discovered where the Omani heathen reside, and lands on the edge of the world. This information be not currently germane to the affairs of Fez, but hey, this cost us nothing and Fez may one day profit as a result.

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/EU2 2007-10-13 00-54-57-24.jpg >

A similar offer send to the lord of the Timurid empire was declined. Fez be not surprised by their greed. Islam has really declined. There was a day when the moslems in the east were under the command of the brother of the western moslem commander. Now we fight amongst ourselves while heathen flourish. We are only as holy as our responsibility is stringent.

January, 1434.

Owing to the fact that we have about 75 ducats available and no naval maintenance cost, we are building a third galley. This will one day aid us greatly.

June, 1434.

World affairs: The Ottomans have annexed the Romans in Constantinople. There be a fresh trade center. We have decided to splurge and place one merchant, which, remaining about 5 years, should turn a profit. Stranger things have happened! I hear Fez be quite popular in that land. Well, we are admittedly pretty great.

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/EU2 2007-10-13 01-14-12-60.jpg >

August, 1434.

The merchant failed to establish a business. There goes about 6 months of revenue. Also, the Timurid empire collapsed. Methinks they had that coming.

"Transoxania entered a military alliance with Austria, Bavaria, and Milan." I'll bet their enemies have never heard of their allies.

June, 1435.

We discovered, while exploring Moroccan lands, an ancient map of the east known as "Tadjikistan." They sound all right. We sent an ambassador with a camel to establish relations.

Apparently, the Timurids have moved their capital. I guess they didn't like the old place.

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/EU2 2007-10-13 01-27-20-32.jpg >

July, 1435.

Portugal canceled their military access in Fez. They never used it. I gather we should have granted access to Castile and Aragon, too? There be nothing like destabilising foreign governments for free!

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/EU2 2007-10-13 01-30-39-42.jpg >

Last edited:
I want to see fez a mighty power, good job so far! it must be very hard to survive the Portuguese especially with their leader!

A long road lies ahead before Fez will be sacking the portugese capital, which MUST happen, tis only just after the evil which they subjected fez too :eek:

Oh no, Portugal cancelling that access sounds like them preparing for another war.

The first war was really interesting to follow - and I am sure the next one (I would be amazed if you did not find yourself in another Iberian war) will be equally exciting!

Olav: Inflation does raise the prices of some important things, until we can get rid of it. When we count every ducat, these are significant increases.

deadmeat1471: Haha, you and me both want to see the Portuguese destroyed...some day, maybe.

stnylan: Yes, I agree. So far we have done well in, uh, "distracting" the Portuguese AI from crushing poor Fez.

--------------------------------

January, 1436.

Taxes for this year are 29 ducats. That be one galley and profit for our Royal Treasury. 'Abd Al-Haqq II shall be pleased!

May, 1436.

Our plan is this: Wait for diplomats, which are trained at the rate of one annually, to repair our alliance in 1440. Declare war on Algiers when their alliance expires in 1443. Capture rich lands. Rinse blood, and repeat for the glory of Fez!

June, 1436.

We have learned, due to careless accounting, that there has been corruption in the ministries of lord 'Abd Al-Haqq II. I have decided to execute the scribe and the guards - this shall save us many shining ducats.

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/EU2 2007-10-13 01-42-58-04.jpg >

January, 1437.

26 Ducats in taxes have been added to our treasury. We require 14 ducats annually in fees, and galleys currently cost 11 ducats. Thus we can build a galley this year and have 8 ducats in January, 1438. Let's just hope there be no more corruption or some such unrest in Fez.

May, 1438.

Morocco refused to trade maps with Fez. Even though our maps are superior, they mumbled some thing about dealing with known heathen before looking for more.

June, 1438.

A group of sheiks allied themselves to Castile. I know not what bribe they took.

Fez is becoming a naval power, by virtue of the fact that we can support more ships than men!

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/EU2 2007-10-13 02-02-44-73.jpg >

November, 1438.

"Trebizond" is now allied to "Georgia." When are our brethren going to crush these infidels?

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/EU2 2007-10-13 02-09-33-08.jpg >

June, 1439.

By Royal Mandate all foreign camels must now be registered in a local census office for tax purposes. We centralize Fez.

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/EU2 2007-10-13 02-17-38-25.jpg >

July, 1440.

Our alliance has expired. The time has come for us to set our diplomats in motion to establish a glorious new alliance for Fez!

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/EU2 2007-10-13 02-26-55-92.jpg >

Both nations accepted the invitations. They believe, in spite of the boorish words of lord 'Abd Al-Haqq II, that we are righteous. Excellent. We now have great relations with Tunisia and very good relations to Morocco. If we ever get a competent diplomat, we may one day have closer relations still...

September, 1440.

I have arranged for a Royal Marriage for one of my lord's daughters, to Ak Koyunlu. The purpose be to encourage them to share their maps in October!

December, 1440.

Glorious tidings! The treasurer has completed his reports, and we have had an exceptional harvest this year! So many gourds and so much barley for the goats! Our inflation shall fall, a precious gift, and we now have 100 ducats, an excellent preparation for the coming war with Algeria.

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/EU2 2007-10-13 02-34-24-76.jpg >

I notice we have perfect relations with Granada. I don't really see how Fez could profit, but I believe this could be helpful, if nothing more, to attack Castile. And Portugal. Let us never forget those animals, who shall one day pay for their slaughterings.

January, 1441.

I commissioned two galleys, as we have the funding for this now.

I also remembered to request maps from Ak Koyunlu and they agreed. This was wise, because they gained 166 provinces. We gained about 35. I feel this be acceptable, since we can retrade those maps to some degree to multiple nations.

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/EU2 2007-10-13 02-39-58-22.jpg >

I would continue this, but now that this be done, we should save diplomats for use in the war. You never know when you'll suddenly need 4 diplomats in such a time.

June, 1442.

Tunisia has declared war on the Mameluks. Heathen or no, this be annoying. This could interrupt our plans for Algeria.

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/EU2 2007-10-13 02-52-01-37.jpg >

I accept.

May, 1443.

We are militarily outclassed by the Mameluks, though we can easily control the seas. I think this war pointless.

We also have to deal with Muhammad Al-Rubali. He has declared that camels should have shoes to protect their feet. The nomadic peasants are outraged. Indeed, we must put this heretic to death in order to encourage the narrowminded peasantry.

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/EU2 2007-10-13 03-01-23-26.jpg >

August, 1443.

Surprise!!

< http://imgbolt.com/files/100836/EU2 2007-10-13 03-07-51-67.jpg >

They've gone mad. At least we don't have to suffer instability. Granada even broke a royal marriage, as they are still allied to Tunisia. Our great navy will be of great use now, in protecting the strait of Gibraltar, and preventing landings, and of blockading Orania. Now, will our allies follow?

Our allies have declared war on Algiers and Granada. Now if only we weren't involved in this pointless struggle with the Mameluks - we don't need distractions, and if Tunisia be overrun, we have a problem. We can't loot the Mameluks while we fight the Algerians.

Algeria has a large army. We rely on mobility and, of course, that great navy. We have 16 galleys.

First we shall move the Navy of Fez to the Strait of Gibraltar, and retreat the men to Tangiers. We don't have any intention of fighting on land. Then we may deposit a siege and looting force in Algiers whilst they are distracted by our land, that of Tunisia, and hopefully Morocco shall lend aid.

Last edited: