• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mad Mac

Sergeant
37 Badges
Jan 10, 2003
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • 500k Club
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
Let me set the stage for you...

It's mid-42, I (as Germany) was hell-bent on total European domination (as all good-little dictators are) :D

Poland - gone in 39 (no problem)
France - gone in 40 (again, no problem, they really are a bunch of cheese-eating surrrender monkeys)
Vichy France - for what they're worth they're my allies
Republican Spain - won the SCW and are part of the Comintern (damn reds)
Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Romania, - all in the axis family. (I've given them techs which brought up their infantry org to respectable levels)
Italy - In the family, but require massive amounts of assistance. (more on that later)
All of Scandanavia - Neutral
US - Neutral (elected right and became isolationist) well that changes as you'll read
USSR - Neutral (just wait)
Japan - Slogging through China

I've been building my massive Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe to begin a delayed Barbarossa, I have good subs that patrol the English Channel and the seas around Denmark to ensure no nasty surprises bite me on the ass. The only offensive operations that I'm participating in are in the Grecian Isles to head off any UK landings. (Using combined Germany and Bulgarian/Romanian forces) Yep, everything is looking good for the Fatherland. Until a few weeks ago that is, when all hell breaks loose. Firstly, the UK stage a massive amphib landing in Sicily and the southern end of the Italian mainland. I re-deployed 2 armeegruppe (18 x Infantry) and 2 Luftflotte wings (9 x tac/div, 3 x fgt), to push them back into the sea. Since the Italians were rather inept in Africa, I was hoping that they'd pick up the slack in the defense of their homeland. I was wrong. I took significant casualties in the defense of Italy, but was finally able to push them back. With the limited MP that Germany has, I'm still in the process of reconstituting my forces. Thinking that I could get back to Barbarossa, the UK (being the consumate pains in the ass that they are) decides to reinforce Greece. So now, I'm rushing those troops that fought in Italy to the Balkans.

Then things get worse. Next, the Japanese (not in the Axis) declares war on the US and allies (goes for Australia first), the US takes command of the Pacific front, joins the allies and therefore puts us in their crosshairs (all this despite the fact that their political leanings are decidedly in the fascist corner), so now I have US warships in the English channel, no troops yet, but its only a matter of time. Then like clockwork, the Soviets declare war on us, and my plans for a Barbarossa Offensive are dashed. So now I'm in a defensive mode in the East, its only a matter of time before the US/UK see how thin my defenses are in Northern France, Republican Spain is making headway into Vichy France (yet another area of operation where I am diverting eastern front troops to) and Japan won't join the axis to take some of the heat off me by engaging the Soviets. (although they're soon going to have their hands full with the US/UK in the Pacific)

The only good options that I can see are:
1. Reduce the amount of territory that I will be forced to defend. Shorten the lines in the west (thereby sacrificing my gains in France), shore up the Balkan defenses, and pray that my 50+ mech and panzer divisions will make the Soviets think twice about launching any major offensives.

or

2. Launch Barbarossa immediately (I have 3 x armeegruppe with 12 inf/mech divisions each, 4 x armee with 9 inf/mech divisions each, 5 x Panzerarmee with 9 x 50mm Med tank divisions each, and approximately 6 Luftflotte wings with a ton of div/tac bombers and a good number of fgts). Thereby forcing the Soviets to defend and hopefully getting to Bitter Peace before the Western Front implodes.

Any suggestions from more experienced players would be greatly appreciated. As a side note, this has been the best HOI game I've ever played, Super AI makes it all worthwhile.

Yes, I agree in your situation attack the Russians.

but in your next game i would suggest the following:

1. Always give the Italians as much tech/doctrines as possible as early as possible. You might be suprised at how much they are able to accomplish if you do this. I normally give techs initially to [in order] Italy, Rumania and Japan, then the rest as DI are available.

2. Divide your fleet [build more transports and destroyers] and station a fleet in the MED before War breaks out [get Military access from Italy]. This means that you will be able to help them out by Taking Gibralter and Malta. The Italians will normally be able to take Suez if you have done Point 1. By taking Gibralter, Malta and Suez no allied convey/fleet [excludes submarines] are able to enter the Med, this also frees up garrison forces in German occuppied Yugoslavia/Greece/former Vichy France and means that the Sicily/Greece landing do not occur, but you will have to Garrison the Casablanca area though, as the Yanks like to drink in Ricks Cafe.

3. When the SCW breaks out temporarily convey SUPPLIES to the Fascist Nationalists, and seriously consider sending 2-4 infantry divisions with good commanders [taking them back after Nats win]. As well as giving some of your Generals experience, this ensures that the Communists do not have a foothold in Spain [very important]. I have a theory that the Nats lack supply and this is why they do not win normally.

4. Have Fun.

regards

Trelling