• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(40328)

Corporal
Feb 20, 2005
I created extensive custom events for Ireland and its minor states about four years ago, and they worked beautifully with AGC. After a very long hiatus, I've just returned to EU2 and AGC looking to complete these event files.

I'd saved the custom event files but nothing else from my prior EU/AGC installation. I threw them into the current version AGC event folder, overwriting the Irish files in the process, and discovered that none of my events were firing.

I feel like I'm missing something simple to get them to operate as before. I may be overlooking something with the AGC database files, though I searched for information on whether I needed to change anything there and came up with nothing (so the DB files are completely unmodified right now).

All the event ids are in the 555000 range. I checked the master list sticky-ed above and it doesn't seem to conflict with anything AGC official.

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

You copied your events into one of the event files of one of the irish minors?
There were no errors starting the game after that such as mentioning duplicate event ID´s?

Perhaps you could post one of your events as an example what they should do and to look why it did not fire in your game?

You copied your events into one of the event files of one of the irish minors?
There were no errors starting the game after that such as mentioning duplicate event ID´s?

Perhaps you could post one of your events as an example what they should do and to look why it did not fire in your game?

I didn't copy the events into the preexisting files. Instead, I overwrote each Irish minor file and the Ireland file with my custom files (each named precisely after the file it was replacing).

There were no errors starting the game at all. The game worked fine except for ignoring the events I'd created.

Here's a sample event from my Connaught file. As you can see, it should fire exactly one year into the game, but it doesn't. I never figured out the proper way to do the "desc =" part, so you'll see that I inserted the event description straight into the file (I don't know that that is allowed anymore in the current AGC version, though it worked fine in a prior version).

Code:
#More Irish Than the Irish#

event = {
id = 555500
	random = no
	country = CON
	name = "More Irish Than the Irish"
	desc = "The Old English lords (really a collection of Anglo-Norman, Welsh, French, Breton, and Flemish invaders with a loose allegiance to the English king) steadily supplanted native Irish rulers after Robert de Clare successfully invaded in 1171.  They were expected to promote English dominion and remain a breed apart, but as time went on, the Old English lords adopted the Irish language, culture, religious traditions, and took pure Irish spouses.  The Old English were eventually known to be 'more Irish than the Irish' as the saying goes.  Though nominally subjects of the Lord of Ireland, who happened to be the King of England, the Old English staunchly resisted any real integration into the English feudal hierarchy, and thus the English king only held real power in 'the Pale' (Dublin and its small hinterland).  The coercion of the Old English into the Irish culture only increased as native lords steadily reconquered their old lands, and about half of Ireland had returned to native hands by 1420."
	style = 1
	date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1420 }

action_a ={
		name = "OK"
		command = { type = domestic which = aristocracy value = -1 }
		command = { type = domestic which = serfdom value = -1 }
		command = { type = domestic which = mercantilism value = -1 }
		command = { type = breakvassal which = ENG }
	}
}

An identical event (each iteration having its own ID number) should also fire for the other Irish minors, but they don't.

I didn't copy the events into the preexisting files. Instead, I overwrote each Irish minor file and the Ireland file with my custom files (each named precisely after the file it was replacing).

There were no errors starting the game at all. The game worked fine except for ignoring the events I'd created.

Here's a sample event from my Connaught file. As you can see, it should fire exactly one year into the game, but it doesn't. I never figured out the proper way to do the "desc =" part, so you'll see that I inserted the event description straight into the file (I don't know that that is allowed anymore in the current AGC version, though it worked fine in a prior version).

An identical event (each iteration having its own ID number) should also fire for the other Irish minors, but they don't.

You used a pure txt format when you created the events, not some word document that you then copied to the existing event file?

You replaced the event file in the event folder of the AGCEEP subfolder and not some event file in the event folder of the main EU2 game? That one happened to me once :)

CON actually exists at the time the event should fire and is not already annexed by someone?

I know that extremely long text descriptions directly in the events desc can cause problems. That is one of the reasons to use the text.csv file for the text. But I don´t know if that is the reason your event doesn´t trigger.

Edit: According to Harvard the "style" part of the event structure isn´t used in EU2 so you can remove that line
http://home.broadpark.no/~havmoe/EU/events.htm#_Toc531616604

Last edited: