Help needed with translating an obnoxiously self-aggrandizing title into French

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Xnaop

Colonel
133 Badges
Nov 18, 2009
  • Rome Gold
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • March of the Eagles
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Cities in Motion
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis III
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
Power has gone to François' head, and he has recently styled himself:

Emperor of the French, King of Great France, of Little France of Hercules, of Little France of London, of Little France of Poland, of New France of the North, of New France of the South, of New France of the Sea, of New France of the Orient, of Burgundy, of Provence, of Savoy, of Genoa, of Navarra, Duke of Aquitaine and Calais, of Orleans, of Liege, of Auvergne, of Bourbon, of Alsace, of Lorraine, Hereditary Emperor of the Romans, Sole Sovereign Lord over all the nations and all the people of the world, France himself, François II

:eek:

I'd like to translate this into French, but I barely barely barely know French. So, here's what I've got:

L'Empereur des Français, le Roi de Grande France, de Petite France d'Héraclès, de Petite France du Londres, de Petite France de la Pologne, de Nouvelle France du Nord, de Nouvelle France du Sud, de Nouvelle France de la Mer, de Nouvelle France de l'Orient, de Bourgogne, de Provence, de Savoie, de Gênes, de Navarre, le Duc d'Aquitaine et Calais, d'Orléans, de Liège, d'Auvergne, de Bourbon, d'Alsace, de Lotharingie, l'Empereur Héréditaire des Romains, le Seul Souverain Seigneur sur toutes les nations et tous des gens de la terre, la France lui-meme, François II

Is that wrong?

A few specific questions:

Initially, I was thinking things like "de la Provence", but noticed that French titles seem to always instead be like "de Provence". Right?

But at the same time, "de Petite France de la Pologne", right? Because he's not king of (Little France) and of (Poland); rather, he's king of (Little France of Poland).

And "la France lui-meme" - perhaps should be "elle-meme", since France is feminine, but I wanted to stress that the importance is on him, not on France, and so "France himself" (referring to the man embodying France), not "France itself" (referring to France embodied by the man), so "lui-meme" rather than "elle-meme", right? Or is that completely unnatural?

And would it be like I have it -- "le Roi de X, de Y, de Z" -- or instead "le Roi de X, le Roi de Y, le Roi de Z"? Or perhaps "le Roi de X, Y, et Z"?

I didn't think "le Roi de X, Y, et Z" because I wanted to stress that X, Y, and Z were separate things, and he is the king of each, i.e. he is the (king of X), (king of Y), and (king of Z), rather than that he is the king of (X, Y, and Z).

This is as opposed to "le Duc d'Aquitaine et Calais", where "Acquitaine et Calais" is a single unit, with a lone ducal title between them (at least in this universe).

And yes, I realize that this is a phenomenally ridiculous thing to be wasting my time on. :(

Thanks in advance for any help.

Whoops - I forgot the Kingdom of New France of Africa and the Kingdom of New France of the Pacific. So "de Nouvelle France de l'Afrique" and "de Nouvelle France de la Pacifique"?

All I can say is... what.

OK, so it should go like this:

Empereur des français, roi de la grande France, de la petite France en Hercule, de la petite France de Londres, de le petite France en Pologne, de la nouvelle France du Nord, de la nouvelle France du Sud, de la nouvelle France des Mers, de la nouvelle France en Orient, de Bourgogne, de Provence, de Savoie, de Gênes et de Navarre, duc d'Aquitaine et de Calais, d'Orléans, de Liège, d'Auvergne, de Bourbon, d'Alsace et de Lorraine, empereur héréditaire des Romains, unique seigneur souverain des nations et des peuples du monde, la France personnifiée, François II.

You could also group some titles like this:

roi de la grande France, des petites France en Hercule, Londres et Pologne, des nouvelles France du Nord, du Sud, des Mers et d'Orient ...

And you should put his dynasty name at the end (like François II de Valois).

But seriously man, you're lucky I had nothing better to do ;-).

Now that's a title ! :rofl::cool:

Having recently made the Papal States officially acquiesce to the fact that they are and always have been vassalized to him, and having proclaimed the Statute in Restraint of Appeals, he has now recognized this by adding "Pope of Popes" to his title.

"Pape des papes"?

Mais je parle/comprend seulement un peu de français, et je ne parle/comprend pas bien.

Je n'ai pas demandé que cette, uhh... thread... est mis en cette, uhh... forum.

Thread, on dit souvent "topic" en français. Et forum, c'est du latin, donc on garde!:D
Mais c'est masculin, donc "soit mis dans ce forum".

Sinon la traduction de lamer fait bizarre mais ça devrait aller, je pense.:)