HELP! Need guide to Tactics with Amazons (+Xenoplague?)

HELP! Need guide to Tactics with Amazons (+Xenoplague?)

• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

The Grumpy Buddha

Captain
20 Badges
May 31, 2016
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
So, long time 4X player, zero time X-COM, etc. player here ... looking for some help.

My first 3-4 games were with the Dvar, and by the end, between Purifiers and Tanks, it was pretty easy to walk into an ~even match (or, maybe with a minor advantage) and walk out with no lost units (as you're supposed to). Earlier on, with Trenches, Bulwarks, etc., the story was the same, esp with the awesome Purification mod.

I'm trying out Amazons now, and getting my ass handed to me even when I'm walking in with a 25% advantage in forces. I can't seem to end a battle without losing at least a unit or two.

Suggestions as to the best build/best mods early on, and then later? The Amazons seem so ... squishy!

Bookthief

Private
48 Badges
Sep 15, 2019
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Knights of Honor
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka 2
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • The Kings Crusade
  • King Arthur II
  • Impire
  • Gettysburg
  • Crusader Kings II
So amazon's are a bit more squishy in the early game. Have to ask are you primarily focusing on amazon troops or the xenoplague side of things? Either way I recommend grabbing the xenoplague parasite mod for your units and then infecting the opposition as much as possible. Enemies who are infected take a whopping -200 morale hit, which increases the chances of fumbles greatly.

Grabbing the first or so mod of the bio tree helps burn down heavy armor units by melting it with hits. What are you fighting alot of? If possible i recommend making heavy use of the basic archer's ability to stagger and blind enemy units.

The Grumpy Buddha

Captain
20 Badges
May 31, 2016
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II
So amazon's are a bit more squishy in the early game. Have to ask are you primarily focusing on amazon troops or the xenoplague side of things? Either way I recommend grabbing the xenoplague parasite mod for your units and then infecting the opposition as much as possible. Enemies who are infected take a whopping -200 morale hit, which increases the chances of fumbles greatly.

Grabbing the first or so mod of the bio tree helps burn down heavy armor units by melting it with hits. What are you fighting alot of? If possible i recommend making heavy use of the basic archer's ability to stagger and blind enemy units.
Thanks -- do you know what the names of those mods are?

I'm going to have to worry about the insect-folks soon, I think, in order to expand.

For troops, what are the best Amazons to build? The guys that can cast Sleep seem awesome except that it has a pretty decent chance of not working (20% - 40% it seems). Building up Lancers and those guys right now, but I am thinking of whether to try Xenoplague stuff. Again, this is my first playthrough with units of either type so anything that accelerates the learning curve is *fantastic*. (I'm old, I don't have time to play them 50 hours just to start to get good with 'em! :) )

Bookthief

Private
48 Badges
Sep 15, 2019
  • Knights of Honor
  • BATTLETECH
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka 2
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • The Kings Crusade
  • King Arthur II
  • Impire
  • Gettysburg
  • Crusader Kings II
I'm no expert, but amazons really benefit from a combined arms setup. The mods are acidic composite and xenoplague parasite. Biomancers are great support, particularly for their scan Catalogue ability which helps you hit harder and have debuffs hit more reliably. Lancers go off the laser weapon tech of which the tier 1 mod ignition module ups damage a decent amount, the tier 2 mod is actually a defensive one which is real nice. It grants a bonus to shields and ups the stagger of attacks with that weapon.

Should have the grounding harness which helps your units avoid being stagger. The thing about fighting the Kirko is they have biochemical and psionic damage types right off, that last one is important as Psionics damage ignores armor.

TrebortheTall did a series of videos on planetfall that might help. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsRIJ5hQUGEl_pEDIj8EfWORTiaa1Jz9Q This is also what i've been using as a quick reference. https://minionsart.github.io/aowp/Pages/Units/AmazonUnits.html

Reactions:

FerrokenFibrous

Second Lieutenant
20 Badges
Dec 29, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris
  • War of the Roses
Promethean in general is really good at keeping your units alive due to Purification Field and the Aegis operation. I've had similar experiences to your Promethean Dvar when I've played Promethean Amazon, just wrecking face with full stacks of Lancers and T-Rexes without losses.

Lancers with Grounding Harness and the Amazon detector/flanking immunity mod are your best friend and should be the bread and butter of your army, use them. A lot. They're surprisingly tanky when they have those two mods especially since they have high health for a T2 combined with having the shields up defence mode. But you can't just have a few of them in your army, you need to have a lot of them, as they work best when you have at least six Lancers and/or Lancer Heroes. Combined arms approach is optional since Lancers are just so dang good, and an all Lancer/Pustule/Destroyer army lets you keep mobility on the world map, but throwing a few Biomancers and Arborians in there doesn't hurt (Huntresses are optional, they're decent units, but I don't use them much myself).

For their third mod, either Hard Light or Xenoplague muscles work best. The former helps with survivability due to the shields bonus, but the latter is good for helping you create more Pustules and Destroyers to supplement the Lancers. Don't worry too much about the damage though, even with no damage mods, Lancers can still hurt for a lot thanks to flanker + charge, especially if you assign them to Commanders/Heroes with the Infantry Commander skill.

Also, since you're playing Xenoplague, energy sectors get higher priority regardless of whether the terrain grants bonuses to energy because you'll need it for upkeep.

• 2Like
Reactions:

The Grumpy Buddha

Captain
20 Badges
May 31, 2016
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II
Promethean in general is really good at keeping your units alive due to Purification Field and the Aegis operation. I've had similar experiences to your Promethean Dvar when I've played Promethean Amazon, just wrecking face with full stacks of Lancers and T-Rexes without losses.
I sooooo miss Purification Field, ugh ... so, so strong!

Evil_Fishy

Corporal
7 Badges
Aug 3, 2019
  • Age of Wonders III
The first three xenoplague mods (Xenoplague Parasite, Plague Pods, Xenografted Muscles) are pretty great for early melee units like the Lancer. It's important to remember that plague pods heal units that are xenoplague units or have xenoplague parasite, so you can really get in the thick of things and throw plague pods on a mix of enemy units and your units to brutal effect.

If you want more survivability focus, I'd potentially drop Xenografted Muscles for the Grounding Harness mod.

Draxynnic

General
15 Badges
Jan 8, 2008
  • Majesty 2
  • 500k Club
  • BATTLETECH
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
Huntresses are, ironically, probably best against enemy ranged units. Hit'em with Flash Arrows, and if the Blind goes off (which it usually will against early-game units) you've substantially reduced their threat potential for the next couple of turns unless they have area attacks. That's usually enough to get enough of an advantage to carry you through if the battle lasts longer than the Blind. Against melee attackers, though, the Amazon starting stack is often reliant on using your hero, you're starting animal unit, and/or your starting secret tech unit to occupy the enemy's attention. Huntresses and Biomancers are both pretty squishy, and don't have Overwatch to punish a melee rush like Troopers and Indentured can. Keep them safe in a second line, though, and they'll pump out lots of damage and supporting effects, respectively. In the long run, though, Amazons are less able to rely on their core infantry unit than some other races. Flash Arrow is always useful to have, but expect Huntresses to end up falling into more of a support role rather than being the tip of your proverbial spear. Depending on how aggressive you are with getting Xenoplague units to spawn, however, this might be a problem that naturally solves itself.

And yeah, combining Plague Pods with xenoplague melee units (whether they're Xenoplague units naturally or through a mod) is pretty strong. It works particularly well with Pustules since Pustules don't naturally have a ranged attack.

FerrokenFibrous

Second Lieutenant
20 Badges
Dec 29, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris
  • War of the Roses
Honestly, Lancer spam is much more potent overall than Huntress spam since they can be tough af with Grounding and Primal Awareness and they can pin down enemies with melee overwatch, not to mention they do serious damage with just Flanker + Charge + Infantry Commander (or even just Flanker + Infantry Commander, they can still di). They're a bread-and-butter unit against both melee and ranged and can do reasonably well even against fliers. Also, like you said, Huntresses eventually end up falling off and being more of a support unit in the mid-late game, in which case, I think Lancers, Tyrannodons and Xenoplague units with Dazzling Systems are gonna end up doing their blinding schtick a lot better.

People assume Huntresses are the backbone of the Amazon army, when in truth, it's the Lancers. Kinda like how people initially assume you should spam Frenzied as Kir'ko when you should be amassing Hidden instead. Though in comparison, at least Huntresses are generally more useable in most cases than Frenzied.

Last edited:
Reactions:

Aargh

Corporal
85 Badges
Sep 20, 2011
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • 500k Club
  • Knights of Honor
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • BATTLETECH
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders
  • Crusader Kings III
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Prison Architect
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
People assume Huntresses are the backbone of the Amazon army, when in truth, it's the Lancers. Kinda like how people initially assume you should spam Frenzied as Kir'ko when you should be amassing Hidden instead. Though in comparison, at least Huntresses are generally more useable in most cases than Frenzied.
I agree with this. Some factions can rely a lot more on their T1 units than others. Vanguard Troopers, Syndicate Indentured and Dvar Trenchers can last well into midgame and even lategame with the right mods/support, but other factions like Amazons or Kir'Ko tend to do a lot better if they skip straight to T2 as much as possible.

Reactions: