• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Heero

Sergeant
26 Badges
Jun 11, 2003
Visit site
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
I feel as tho I had to fix this issue at some point years and years ago. Its minor as its only the sprites, but still...

I dont want to see WW1 tanks rolling round the map!

Any panzer division with a medium tank division has this sprite, despite my tech level being at 1940+ for med tank divs.

Any suggestions on how to fix?

Are you playing the Vanilla TFH game with all sprites packs? There are issues with sprites of Hungary and a few other countries looking like huge "potatoes", but your bug has not been reported. Even if you got a false sprite for your armours, the sprites are purely cosmetic. You can use the embedded NATO symbols instead.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have the Hungary potato soldier issue, as well.

I bought the game w/ all expansions and sprite packs on Steam (probably the 3rd time I have bought it over the years). So everything should be installed.

I feel as tho I have seen this issue previously and been able to fix it. Is there some fix anyone knows of?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have done all the steps in this topic:

Hungarian Potato soldiers are now fixed. However, my panzer divs are still cruising round in WW1 tanks.

besttank.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Right? Maybe those Nazi hipsters like vintage tanks.
In true absurd fashion, all of the techs start out at WWI levels as a base, and although most countries already start with some techs researched, for many things that 1918 level must be researched just to bring your country up to the end of WWI....in 1936. When you unlock a new tech, it initially gives you the pre-1918 level of the tech, and far too often, the associated sprite for late WWI. For some countries, it rapidly jumps to the other extreme, so Germany, researching 1940(?) Anti-Tank guns around the outbreak of war, will display a late-war (WWII) gun that didn't see production until somewhere around 1943-44. Meanwhile, Hungary, which historically was building Bf-109 fighters for both Germany and its own small air force, will continue to show post-WWI biplanes as its current fighter until practically the end of WWII, despite the player keeping the techs up to date.

The selection of images leaves a lot to be desired.

Reactions:
Nothing I do seems to fix this issue. It may be an issue with the Steam version.

I am going to waste my money and buy it on Gog. I thought I owned it on there, but apparently not. Oh well. My curiosity is outweighing my inhibition of wasting more money this time. Plus, I am a couple beers in....

I will let you know if this fixes the issue! Save games should still work, theoretically.

Edit: UGH! Gamersgate is where I bought it last. Havent been in there in years!

Last edited:
Ok, so that did not have the expected effect. In fact, I have the Vanilla sprites despite purchasing from GoG both the base game and the 'DLC Collection'. DLC is obviously installed, but apparently no sprites.

Waste of money (its ok, Ivewasted money on way more worthless things - like those beers I mentioned earlier...). This is why I never purchase these cosmetic things, typically, at least not when they are released and for anywhere close to full price. I supposedly got it, tho, when I bought the Steam version so now I want it! But, of course, we are back to the topic at hand - my 1940 panzers have the sprites of WW1 tanks. Ha ha - total Busch league (get it?) here, Paradox.

Anyway - vanilla sprites are better than the others so Ill play with that!

I also have the A7V sprites. I had never voluntarily played with sprites before, but was curious enough to uncheck the box. I'm also using the Steam version. I can't tell if I have the Hungarian potatoes because I already conquered them, but I would assume I do.

I also have the A7V sprites. I had never voluntarily played with sprites before, but was curious enough to uncheck the box. I'm also using the Steam version. I can't tell if I have the Hungarian potatoes because I already conquered them, but I would assume I do.

Ha, somehow I am glad it isnt just me!

Imagine paying $9.99, or whatever these things go for, for a sprite pack to make your panzer sprites more accurate only to see WW1 tanks preparing to invade Russia!

I know, I know, this all probably worked at some point pre-Steam and bundled DLCs. But still!

Ha, somehow I am glad it isnt just me!

Imagine paying $9.99, or whatever these things go for, for a sprite pack to make your panzer sprites more accurate only to see WW1 tanks preparing to invade Russia!

I know, I know, this all probably worked at some point pre-Steam and bundled DLCs. But still!

It would suck. While I'm not laughing at the bummer you're experiencing, I have to admit I cackled madly watching my feared A7Vs rolling into the Soviet Union. Who cares about your T-34s, Tovarishch Stalin! Cringe and scrape before my awesome mess tents! It could be worse, though. What if your strategic bombers showed up as zeppelins?

My own complaint about the Collection off Steam is that it so rarely plays the earlier HOI music. Andreas Waldetoft just does a fantastic job with the musical scores and for me that was the big incentive. Something about Kriegsgewitter...

Wasn't there some issue with the DLCs being made for FtM, and not being fully compatible with TFH? That could explain a lot of the wonkiness.

Reactions:
Wasn't there some issue with the DLCs being made for FtM, and not being fully compatible with TFH? That could explain a lot of the wonkiness.
I thought that it was the sprite packs being even before that and basically getting broken by FTM, and certainly by TFH.