Help keeping the game interesting!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I mean, if Mods are in play, there's your answer right there. There are plenty of things in the workshop that adjust the play experience sufficiently to maintain interest long-term, if only out of novelty value.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Except that you have to play without mods, which means dealing with all the bugs and the sub-standard vanilla UI. To me this is worse than a trip to the dentist.
Bugs and design choices that can be modded and very dubious balance issues... But so much this quote!

200 hours and I've not encountered any gamebreaking bugs - and I'm pretty happy with the UI.
You don't consider losing the game because your liege decided to give away all your land to a peasant revolt without any ability to stop it on your part game breaking?

You are happy with having to select the same filter options over and over again in the character finder?

• 2Like
Reactions:
You don't consider losing the game because your liege decided to give away all your land to a peasant revolt without any ability to stop it on your part game breaking?

You are happy with having to select the same filter options over and over again in the character finder?
Never encountered the former once in 200 hours. The latter isn't ideal and I hope they add saved filters in a future patch - but it's a fairly small annoyance in the grand scheme of things.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Never encountered the former once in 200 hours.
Surely you have read about others of us dealing with it on these same forums, and can understand why we might feel this is game breaking.
The latter isn't ideal and I hope they add saved filters in a future patch - but it's a fairly small annoyance in the grand scheme of things.
It's small only in that it is one of the many UI deficiencies vs its predecessor. Death by 1000 cuts, straw that broke the camel's back, insert your own personal favorite cliche here. As I said before, I'd rather go to the dentist than play CK3 unmodded because of how painful its UI is.

Also, what is most annoying about it to me ( and insulting, frankly ) is that so many of these UI issues were not present in CK2. PDX purposefully chose to create and release a UI for CK3 with less features than CK2.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Also, what is most annoying about it to me ( and insulting, frankly ) is that so many of these UI issues were not present in CK2. PDX purposefully chose to create and release a UI for CK3 with less features than CK2.
Less features... But more notifications though. And they always come back. Always. They're like that stalker girlfriend meme.

As far as the UI goes, I can't play this thing without Clear Notifications, Easier Realm Management and Knight Manager. These are some greats mods that I feel could seamlessly be absorbed into the game. Just real QOL stuff that saves thousands of clicks.

I would say the options are.

1: Roleplay. Take decisions based on your characters traits, a humble shy King wouldnt be interested in conquering all the land around them, a lustful King would want to seduce every women he finds attractive etc. Roleplaying kinda naturally limits yourself.
2: Chase achievements.
3: Play in a different region of the world (Africa, Middle East, India etc.) if you usually just play in Europe.
4: Play a bit differently. Limit yourself to a dejure Kingdom or Empire and rather than conquering land outright try to play the diplomacy game and spread your dynasty across the world as independent kingdoms.
5: Play with some mods. There are total overhauls for changing the setting which can be fun to play, but theres also plenty of mods that add new religions, decisions and events etc. to the base game.
6: Take a break and wait for some DLC. The game is great but if nothing else works take a break and come back when there is new content for you to enjoy.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Which ones in particular?
There are so many mods available that no one will be able to suggest some particular ones because it all depends on what you want. Do you want to totally overhaul the game and play in a fantasy world? Well then there are mods like A Way of Kings and Godherja as will Princes of Darkness. Do you want to overhaul teh game but still play in the historical setting? Im pretty sure alot of these types of mods are still in development but there is Dieu Et Mon Droit. Do you not want an overhaul and instead just some small additions? Well then there are literally hundreds of options there, RICE adds new decisions and events for some smaller cultures/regions, VIET adds a whole load of new events, Community Flavor Pack adds new cosmetic options such as hair styles and clothing, theres Rhomaioi which overhauls the Byzantine Empire to make it more historical and interesting, and mods like The Once and Future King provide new narrative opportunities with decisions, events and more.

If your interested in mods just have a look through the steam workshop or mod forums and see which ones strike your interest. The only difficulty is in figuring out things such as load order and which mods are compatible with one another but that only really becomes a problem if you are like me and play with 80 - 100 mods at a time.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Surely you have read about others of us dealing with it on these same forums, and can understand why we might feel this is game breaking.

I've never read of anyone encountering that specific "bug" on the forums tbh. From what I understand from your comment, your liege lost a peasant revolt and the peasant revolt took your land, giving you a game over? That sounds like Crusader Kings working as intended rather than a bug to me. It's always been perfectly possible to get a game over through being unlucky in war when you're still quite small.

Even if I'm misunderstanding and it is a bug of some kind, if it's something that's so rare as to not come up in 200 hours of play, I wonder how big a deal it really is. It certainly doesn't seem to be an issue large enough that "you have to play without mods" to fix it (which is what you originally claimed).

It's small only in that it is one of the many UI deficiencies vs its predecessor. Death by 1000 cuts, straw that broke the camel's back, insert your own personal favorite cliche here. As I said before, I'd rather go to the dentist than play CK3 unmodded because of how painful its UI is.

As I said, I'm fairly happy with the UI. It feels like a big step up from CK2 on most fronts to me. Sure there's the odd thing that's annoying that I hope they fix (like the issue we discussed above and few other things) but, overall, I feel the UI is a net improvement on CK2.

Reactions:
I've never read of anyone encountering that specific "bug" on the forums tbh. From what I understand from your comment, your liege lost a peasant revolt and the peasant revolt took your land, giving you a game over? That sounds like Crusader Kings working as intended rather than a bug to me. It's always been perfectly possible to get a game over through being unlucky in war when you're still quite small.

Even if I'm misunderstanding and it is a bug of some kind, if it's something that's so rare as to not come up in 200 hours of play, I wonder how big a deal it really is. It certainly doesn't seem to be an issue large enough that "you have to play without mods" to fix it (which is what you originally claimed).
It's not peasant revolts that do it, it's populist revolts. What happens is that an ultimatum is presented to the top liege, and if he gives in the populists get everything they want. Including pieces of your land, without you having any chance to resist.

We could argue whether this should be considered a bug or bad design or what not, but it's clearly not good - the player should be able to resist, and not risk having 90% (or however much) of his lands stripped without any options. If we had been given a chance to fight, lost the war, and thus lost our lands that would have been fine with me. :)

Reactions:
It's not peasant revolts that do it, it's populist revolts. What happens is that an ultimatum is presented to the top liege, and if he gives in the populists get everything they want. Including pieces of your land, without you having any chance to resist.

We could argue whether this should be considered a bug or bad design or what not, but it's clearly not good - the player should be able to resist, and not risk having 90% (or however much) of his lands stripped without any options. If we had been given a chance to fight, lost the war, and thus lost our lands that would have been fine with me. :)
Ah, that's clearer. Agree that it seems like you should be able to resist.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Another game-breaking bug if you play ironman: Intrigue plots getting stuck in "ready". You cannot cancel the plot, and it will never progress. So you might be unable to use any intrigue for 40-50 years, until you or your target dies. Like i said, game breaking, it has ruined some of my ironman games. If you havent seen this, then lucky you.

And the UI, while it has some very nice things, the complete lack of customization (what kind of alerts you want to get and which ones you dont) can be very annoying. On one side having new alerts every 1-2 minutes telling that you can declare a war, and having a list of 50-60 possible wars that updates every minute or so, can be quite frustrating. On the other hand, lacking notifications when your court physician dies or leaves your court, knights dies or leaves, a grandson needs education focus.... can be also quite frustrating. Something that could be very easily solved if we could customize it, like we do in many other paradox games.

Anyway, for me mods are one of the best ways to keep the game interesting, until it gets a bit more content with updates/dlc.

• 1Like
Reactions:
As I said, I'm fairly happy with the UI. It feels like a big step up from CK2 on most fronts to me. Sure there's the odd thing that's annoying that I hope they fix (like the issue we discussed above and few other things) but, overall, I feel the UI is a net improvement on CK2.

So, tell me, in what areas do you feel the CK3 UI is a step up from the CK2 UI. My criticisms of the state of the CK3 UI are already well documented.

Reactions:
Linking to a bunch of complaints you yourself made does nothing to prove you are right.
Rather than posting a massive wall of text to point out the areas where I feel the CK3 UI is inferior to the the CK2 UI, I instead linked to them. Also, since the poster I was responding to ( @johnty5 ) said they felt like the UI was a big step up compared to the CK2 UI, I asked a serious question ( 'in what areas is the CK3 UI a step up' ) and then followed with the sentence documenting areas where I felt it was not.

As for proving I am right, that is not the goal. How does one prove to someone else that an opinion is 'right'? Both @johnty5 and I expressed our opinions regarding the UI differences, and I have provided some examples of reasons why I feel that way. I have now asked for him/her to exchange some areas where they feel the CK3 UI is better, so that I might better understand why they feel that way.

You are also welcome to point out any areas where you feel the CK3 UI is better so that I might understand your point of view on the matter. I'll start. One area where the CK3 UI is better IMO is the granting of titles. Before you got a massive list of titles with no idea of hierarchy or location, now you can see the parent/child titles to an extent as well as the location on the global map of the title you are granting away. This is a big improvement over CK2. But overall, I spend a lot more time in the character finder looking for people than I do granting titles, so overall the CK3 UI feels like a step backwards to me, even with this improvement.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I have to say, some of these suggestions on different ways to play the game are awesome! I personally like the idea of treating it like 'historical Sims'; just like there are a lot of playthrough challenges for the Sims games, there are lots of weird or quirky rules and restrictions you could impose on yourself to mix up the gameplay.

A recent example; I am trying to breed albinism in to my dynasty. As it's not a super common trait, it's actually proven to be quite a bit of a challenge. If you want a tougher version of this, try in a female-led culture. If you want a potentially quicker attempt, start with a ruler designer character that has albinism. I have a playthrough going like that right now, and despite starting with an albino ruler, so far I'm 2 generations in and no other albinos in the family!

If anything, this helps explain why the game is so bland in the political department. The devs wants to play a Medieval Sims Genetic simulator. Jokes aside, It's fine if this is what people want. I just really hope to see some more interesting mechanics where I can use influence to change the course of the realm without having to go into a civil war for it. I'd love to have different things to do if I'm sitting my liege's council or focusing on peace and prosperity.

• 1Like
Reactions: