• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
mercader1941 said:
i need some help.

first ever game, as the USA..well after my hands-off game as bali and some belgium playing around to learn the ropes :).

i was doing reloads here also btw.

1)should i expand my industry into all sectors, or only concentrate on specific major industries? also what indsutries should these be?
No not in all sectors, Small Arms, Artillery, Explosives, canned food etc. are not profitable in the early part of the game. What I usually do is first of all, buy a liquor factory since it will raise your tairiffs :), then I usually go for glass and steel, those are the kind of factories you should start with. Later you can start building clothes and furniture factories.
mercader1941 said:
2)what techs should i research first? (industrial/military/commerce?)
As any country I always start with Idealism if it's available. Otherwise I tend to go for Industrial until I get Clean Coal which will help you as USA significally.
Then ofcourse you can't afford to lag behind in army tech.
Naval is not important unless you're planing on taking on Britain really early.
mercader1941 said:
general things also..capitalists? i didnt seem to have any of these in my game, though at some points i was the 4th strongest industrial nation, that kind of worried me.
I for one never promote national culture clerks into capitalists since I just don't see the benefit from them.
mercader1941 said:
also in order to keep corruption problems low should i maintain a constant strong crime fighting fund? because after my 2nd war with mexico i decided to vanquish the corruption that was all over the USA..it took effect slowly, but was very expensive and was interrupted by the outbreak of civil war.
Crimefighting will just prevent you from industrilizing and dominating North America, I never pay for it, not before 1880 atleast ;)

thanks for the replies m8 ;)

um, more questions :).

1) as france i industrialiased to the point of having 210 points in about 1850, 2nd most powerful behind britain.

i was unable to drive my income up very high at all, this was a massive inhibitor on my ability to recruit divisions, etc.

i realy basicaly would love to know how to push up my budget surplus, i dont earn nearly enough money, should i go and sell in the world market for the most?

note i do this..49.22% all taxes, 0-50% crime, 100% education, 0% naval, 50%army, 50% defense spending.

in peace time is that a good option, or not, after all in peace time i should be focusing on gettin max amounts of cash, so when i am at war i can drive up defense, and army spending, and have a surplus of cash to get me through without going broke.

i also expirienced my first bloody nose in war :) DoWing austria when seeing them get beaten up by britain and switzerland, without noticing that prussia, and all the german minors then would DoW me also, in a defensive treaty, which hadnt got them involved in war v swiss and brits o_O :) i got white peace treaties..but it crashed my economy :D.

Last edited:
Hello, iv noticed recently a strange thing. When i change "political parties" setting from "right to ban" to "free parties", those who were banned are still in this state after the reform. Its a bug or something ?

Normal

Czulu said:
Hello, iv noticed recently a strange thing. When i change "political parties" setting from "right to ban" to "free parties", those who were banned are still in this state after the reform. Its a bug or something ?

I've seen this is normal. It happened to me and I thanked a lot, because I didn't want the stupid Caramuru Party of Brazil being allowed.

It's a little strange, but imagine the following: you are a dictator, and can imprison anyone one wish. Then you send a guy to jail, with the right to do it. Now you cannot imprison anyone. That guy cannot be freed, because the law allowed you to do that. It's not retroactive.

I am not a lawyer.

mercader1941 said:
i was unable to drive my income up very high at all, this was a massive inhibitor on my ability to recruit divisions, etc.

i realy basicaly would love to know how to push up my budget surplus, i dont earn nearly enough money, should i go and sell in the world market for the most?

note i do this..49.22% all taxes, 0-50% crime, 100% education, 0% naval, 50%army, 50% defense spending.

in peace time is that a good option, or not, after all in peace time i should be focusing on gettin max amounts of cash, so when i am at war i can drive up defense, and army spending, and have a surplus of cash to get me through without going broke.

I was facing the same problem with Ukraine, from my converted game from EU2. It was like the Russian Empire in size.

To earn money, I drop military spending to zero in peace time. Taxes 70% for poor, and the rest is as yours. For wars, I rely on mobilization (have a few regular divisions). I bet my foes without troubles. Due to the very large manpower, I can fund military at 40% and poor taxes at 80% during wars. Important: short wars.

You can focus on high revenue industries and export their production. Or you can trade technologies.

I have only played with Ukraine and Brazil. When I see screenshots of cash more than £500.000, I think they have cheated :)

Czulu, "Right to Ban" just means that you can ban any party NOT in power. This changes the polls alot in a two-tier or free party system, unless that certain party received few votes.

I'm not too sure, you could phrase your question better but I think you may have to ban them again after they ahd that freedom.

T'ung Dynasty said:
can anyone tell me how to cure war exhastion?
If you have a high war exhaustion and you win a war it will get reduced, even if it's a colonial war against an unciv. Don't think it will happen if you annex though.

T'ung Dynasty said:
but i tried stopping the war for a while but when i restarted it again the war exhastion continue from the previous percentange of 46.8%???
Stop war and don't restart. Then check WE.

Edited Title. Use This thread if you are playing with a version of Victoria pre-1.4 (ie 1.00-1.03C). A new thread for 1.4-based help has been started.

BrazilianHetman said:
I was facing the same problem with Ukraine, from my converted game from EU2. It was like the Russian Empire in size.

To earn money, I drop military spending to zero in peace time. Taxes 70% for poor, and the rest is as yours. For wars, I rely on mobilization (have a few regular divisions). I bet my foes without troubles. Due to the very large manpower, I can fund military at 40% and poor taxes at 80% during wars. Important: short wars.

You can focus on high revenue industries and export their production. Or you can trade technologies.

I have only played with Ukraine and Brazil. When I see screenshots of cash more than £500.000, I think they have cheated :)

It's quite easy to reach 500,000 with a large country or later in the game when your industry is developed. Average country by 1890's should be exporting over 3,000 a day which -imports(under 100 if you pay attention to what your industry need and take colony that has that) then with your social reform, education, and military paid off out of that 3,000 you should be making 500-1,500 depending on what your taxes set at. 360 days in a year x 1,000 is 360,000. By the end of the game at 1920 average money in the bank could be a few millions unless you spent it all on a HUGE military- like over 1,000 or more units at least, or buying land. You can buy half of India for a few millions. Especially in 1900's as your exports increase when your industry builds auto, tanks, and aeroplanes. Even in 1880's as Italy with taxes at 33% middle and lower and rich at 40% income last game was close to 400 a day.

Just manage your industry well and attract immigrants or conquor lands with factories. level 2 fabric staffed full can support level 4 regular clothes which can support even more luxury clothes if you have the silk in your empire. Build towards the high end goods with only diversions some industrial factories you need to make more factories and claim buildings, steel, cement, machine parts.

Last edited:
hello, Ive been playing Victoria for the last few days or so and ive found that Vickywiki is great, But my main problem is that i think there are too many regions on the game, I was playing as the USA and found it very tiresome keeping up to date with what i was doing, Now what i mean?

Im a totally noob to this game and site, And was wondering if someone made a mod to my liking; a game with say half the current regions or maybe just states inside of cities?

I'm a keen player of the total war games, So maybe its due to that but i do find it very hard to control my state :mad:

Its a wonderful game but i do get very bored, Now what i mean?

If this is wrong topic, Im sorry..

SirPatrickSpens said:
hello, Ive been playing Victoria for the last few days or so and ive found that Vickywiki is great, But my main problem is that i think there are too many regions on the game, I was playing as the USA and found it very tiresome keeping up to date with what i was doing, Now what i mean?

Im a totally noob to this game and site, And was wondering if someone made a mod to my liking; a game with say half the current regions or maybe just states inside of cities?

I'm a keen player of the total war games, So maybe its due to that but i do find it very hard to control my state :mad:

Its a wonderful game but i do get very bored, Now what i mean?

If this is wrong topic, Im sorry..

Not much way around this... some mods have changed the regions a bit but not over the whole world. If you don't enjoy managing the huge countries like USA then try playing a smaller country like Belgium or release the Republic of California and play that.

Ichon said:
Not much way around this... some mods have changed the regions a bit but not over the whole world. If you don't enjoy managing the huge countries like USA then try playing a smaller country like Belgium or release the Republic of California and play that.

Thanks, That was when i first started to play this "Great" Game!!

I understand how the play much better now :rofl: