• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Gaute65

82 Badges
May 22, 2001
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
Hi, and welcome to the board. This will give some advice and point to threads where there are some useful hints. If you like the game, tell all your friends. The more people who are buying Vicky, the more money Paradox gets, and the better games we get.

Remember, this is a game not real life. Johan's word: "Its a game.. Its supposed to be fun... I'd add in Pink Elephants Batallions commanded by the Great Lord of the Dark himself if it would make the game more fun."

I will not update this page anymore. For game information about Victoria see rafikis Camp Victoria.

The basics

1. Read the rules for the board, remember that we are a friendly board. We don't like trolling or flame wars. Read the stickies. Download the latest patch. Read the FAQ

2. If you find bugs or have a support problem, go too support forum or the bug forum.

3. Criticism is fine, if you see anything wrong with the game, say so. But be polite and come with suggestion to improve the game. Remember, Johan ( the lead programmer) is on this forum every day.

II First things first

1. Yes, Vicky is a complicate game. No doubt about it. Tutorial for newbies will help you through the first questions. My first advice is to read the manual. :)

2. If you want to be victorious in Vicky, you have to understand the economic model and the world market

3. You also have the understand what POPs are and what consciousness and plurality are

4. A discussion of good nations to start with.

5. In the AARs forum you can get good tips about how to play.

6. Whyamihere's interface guide thread and web page.

7. Raifiki's Camp Victoria .

III Charts

1. Raifiki'sIndustrial overview for Victoria and comment thread

2. Rafiki's techtionary for Vicky and comment thread

3. MadViking popneeds, GC industry levels and resoures group. Link to downloadable pdf popneeds, popoverview, resource, production guide, G.C. nation comparison and buildings overview.

4. Leader traits

5. Panther II production variables. Read this if you want a high factory output.

IV Discussions,tips and how to

1. To avoid micromanagement, use hotkey's and use right clicks. Use your ledger :)

2. Changing intellectual establishment

3. Discussion about democracy and elections. Peter Ebbesen is offering his advice off the day.:)

4. Pro and cons of auto trade

5.Xiechennou*s summary. Gives info about prestige, diplomacy. military, technology and population

6. Army unit morale and problem with attrition and rebels discussion.

7. Why is there no saved game loading option?

8. Population growth too high discussion.

10. How to play a "hands off" game. PressF12, type handsoff.:) Hawaii is a good handsoff country.

11. Where does the money come from discussion.

12. Clerk and craftsmen ratio.

13. Peter Ebbesen's land & morale FAQ.

14. Valisk's Nations of Victoria a brief guide

IV Modding

1. If you want to mod Vicky, go to V.I.P.. They need more people with ideas.

2. Working with Victoria by Havard is a must if you want to write events and understand how Victoria works. It's not completed yet, give feedback in this thread.

3. DIY bug fixing mods-use at your own risk. Take a backup off your files before editing!!

4. Victoria user made scenarios and mods

ps
Anyone who wants to add advice and links to advice, feel free. You can also send me a PM:)

Spelling/grammar help from Cagliostro

Last edited:
Originally posted by Gaute65
First advise, read the manual.

Second advise: Once you have read the manual, please feel free to use it to wipe your behind. My personal favorite page in the entire manual is on page 33 (Industrial development):

For an exhaustive listing of production and needs for all factory types, see the "Factories with descriptions" table in the appendix.

Huh? Appendix, haha, you guys are funny. What bloody appendix? Do you mean the one I made myself after making some nifty files in Excel? I wish somebody in the computer industry could reach the same level as the manuals for games by Sid Meier. Ah, Civilization 1, those were the days. Nice big fold-out tech tree, full unit and terrain charts in color, etc etc.

Originally posted by MadViking

Huh? Appendix, haha, you guys are funny. What bloody appendix? Do you mean the one I made myself after making some nifty files in Excel? I wish somebody in the computer industry could reach the same level as the manuals for games by Sid Meier. Ah, Civilization 1, those were the days. Nice big fold-out tech tree, full unit and terrain charts in color, etc etc.

IIRC, the none existance of the appendix is a mistake from the publishers part.

Johan was quite suprised when he heard that it wasn't included in the Panvision version.

Second advise: Once you have read the manual, please feel free to use it to wipe your behind. My personal favorite page in the entire manual is on page 33 (Industrial development):

For an exhaustive listing of production and needs for all factory types, see the "Factories with descriptions" table in the appendix.

As always polite and helpful... Thank you!

ref1.jpg

ref2.jpg

Btw, there is an error in the file above. Mountain is listed twice but it should be march or swamp instead (don't remember which one and I only had the draft version here at home!

Patric

Originally posted by Patric
As always polite and helpful... Thank you!

Uhm, sorry for the harsh comments about your manual. :(

I guess I am just a bit disappointed to pay 400 SEK and finding out that the Victoria manual isnt much better then the HoI manual (that one was not made by Patric though, but by some Mark Walker person). It just realy hurts to have such an amazingly fun (and complicated....) game with a not so good manual. I was not aware that the appendix was ommited due to failuers form the publishers. Seems you guys like the Sid Meier's type charts as well.

But thanks for posting the missing appendix stuff! <bows down in respect to the Lord of the Manual>

Btw, I have a few suggestions:

1) At the top of the main Victoria discussions page or at the top of the FAQ page make a new sticky called "Updated manual and charts" or something like this.

2) Make a seperate .pdf document of the pictures you just posted (they are realy too small to look good on most printers) and add them to that page.

3) I have been working on various charts as well (mainly lists/tables of POP demands, POP conversion model, unit costs, GC starting industries, and a rudementary tech tree chart). I would gladly post these on the above suggested thread in the shape of a .pdf document.

I can see if you dont want to do this due to any copyright problems or equivalent, but at least post the missing appendix in a larger (=printable) format.

See you already made such a sticky. How about making the pictures a bit bigger (looks bad when I print it, then again I dont have a very good printer).

About the name of that thread "MadViking memorial thread"....I take it that means I'm banned or something? Yikes man, guess your not allowed to criticize the manual the way I did. Sorry. Oh well, I guess I'll go back to playing Metroid on my good old 8-bit Nintendo or something. This realy blows....

Since you can still post, you're probably not banned.

But, about the manual, I'm guessing that, unless lightning strikes twice, we will get this appendix in the NA version?

See you already made such a sticky. How about making the pictures a bit bigger (looks bad when I print it, then again I dont have a very good printer).

About the name of that thread "MadViking memorial thread"....I take it that means I'm banned or something? Yikes man, guess your not allowed to criticize the manual the way I did. Sorry. Oh well, I guess I'll go back to playing Metroid on my good old 8-bit Nintendo or something. This realy blows....

You are not banned at all. It's just that the way you post your critique is a bit out of line. And Gaute65 actually tried to put together a newbie guide in this thread and you could not resist posting your take on what to do with the manual.

The images are the correct size but as they are in jpg format and only 72 dpi they look fuzzy.

Patric

Thanks Patric keep up the great work:D

Patric: Again, sorry for the derogatory comments on your manual, and thanks for not banning my sorry butt. At least this meant that you posted the missing appendix content. Also, if you send me those graphics files in .tif format (or equivalent) I would gladly make a nice .pdf document what would have printer-quality pictures. Btw, I've worked 12 years with DTP, and have made several hundred magazines/brochures/manuals, so I guess that is why I can be a bit picky about these things at times. :)

Gaute65: Sorry for hijacking your thread. Here are some of the Victoria charts I have made so far (working on a tech tree and other stuff, but this will take quite some time):

Grand Campaign industry levels

POP needs

Resource guide

I'll put these up as .pdf files once I get it all done, since this is more printer friendly (I can provide the original .xls files if anybody cares for this).

Patric: Again, sorry for the derogatory comments on your manual, and thanks for not banning my sorry butt. At least this meant that you posted the missing appendix content. Also, if you send me those graphics files in .tif format (or equivalent) I would gladly make a nice .pdf document what would have printer-quality pictures. Btw, I've worked 12 years with DTP, and have made several hundred magazines/brochures/manuals, so I guess that is why I can be a bit picky about these things at times. :)

I'll put these up as .pdf files once I get it all done, since this is more printer friendly (I can provide the original .xls files if anybody cares for this).

Thanks MadViking! I appreciate that! I'll see what can be done when it comes to higher resolution versions. Great work btw!

Please feel free to critizize the work but, please, stop the ass wiping metaphor, ok? That I ( with he help from the rest of the team and the beta testers) wrote the manual was/is not the issue here as I would react the same no matter what the critique was aimed at.

:) Patric

To second Sehnsucht's suggestion to the mods: Sticky this thread :D

It should be taken as a sign when other forumers refer to this thread on a standard basis and even put it in their sig's ;)

:) Rafiki