• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Now I'm looking for a working link to Fox & Lion: Battalions, since the link in their forum thread doesn't seem to go to an actual download.

Here you go.
I believe its not the latest version but it should work as far as I remember.
Link

Its from my mod vault. From 2016.

Wraith11D Its world war 2 immersion (DWI) . I agree that all the versions available at this time you dont need to build HQ's but there was a vrsion some years ago where yo hadto move the HQ to the op of the build list and they were " built" very quickly.
Phantomrider thanks again I am usually using the listed forms in the build list. wish I could remember the vrsion more for interest sake than anything else
Its Good to talk and keep safe

Also for Wraith 11 D- In all versions of DWI (Deutsche Wehrmacht Immersion) or WWI (World War II Immersion) feature more detail divisions than are available in vanilla HOI 3. (Up to 15 subunits which range from company to battalion to regiment/brigade size) so you can build rather detailed divisions (and also maximize combined arms bonuses) rather than the 4 or 5 subunit limit for vanilla HOI3. You can also build subunits separately and then assemble them on the map after they are built if you want as well. In that case I think a typical HQ unit for a division builds in about 1 week and each individual sub unit (infantry, artillery, antitank, supply, armor) take much longer 2-4 months. Almost all the time I typically use either the standard models provided when I build units and wait for the whole division to be completed (time is the build time of the slowest component or if I build non standard units (I use a lot of militia division to keep the AI from behaving badly -- If you leave ports ungarrisoned the AI tends to launch amphibious operations to capture them but the AI doesn't have enough strength to keep a second front going and as Germany you can wipe out 10 western allied divisions every 6-12 months with a wack a mole reaction force easily.) I do similar light divisions to counter partisans as well-- You don't need front line full divisions for this. One caution though is that while you can see higher HQ (higher than division level) in the build que don't build them in the production control tab -- I think they crash the game. Build them on the map as you would in HOI3 vanilla.

Reactions:
Thanks for that info. I guess building "light" divisions is better in many cases or defence against that sort of attack and the revolts you get. These light divizions need not be so detailed and concentrate on quick build action units. I dont know if the more second line units have that much effect within the various units. Do you build many of the bodebstang Divs,, garrison units.

Thanks for that info. I guess building "light" divisions is better in many cases or defence against that sort of attack and the revolts you get. These light divizions need not be so detailed and concentrate on quick build action units. I dont know if the more second line units have that much effect within the various units. Do you build many of the bodebstang Divs,, garrison units.

For a long time I built bodenstandig divisions (1 per port) and they did the required job of keeping the AI in line with random invasions. However, militia divisions are cheaper (militia infantry reg/brig are much cheaper in industrial capacity than bodenstandig even though the manpower is the same- use the bodenstandig template and take out the infantry reg/brig and put in the same number of militia infantry {LS}). It also makes some sense since in the game Germany is overpowered and over resourced in terms of manpower to "tax" it in terms of manpower and industrial capacity to have a few personnel stuck managing all the real estate they gain. At least that was my rationale.

Where can I find the save games on the computer, Im using windows 10. I have found that I have reached June 939 and am occupying France having defeated them . Have left Denmark, Belgium, Holland.
I cannot now save game. I must have hundreds o saves and am wondering if there is just no more room I click on save game move down to save and It starts but quickly goes to the little blue circle and crashes to desk top.

Where can I find the save games on the computer, Im using windows 10. I have found that I have reached June 939 and am occupying France having defeated them . Have left Denmark, Belgium, Holland.
I cannot now save game. I must have hundreds o saves and am wondering if there is just no more room I click on save game move down to save and It starts but quickly goes to the little blue circle and crashes to desk top.
Saves are located in your Documents folder, under Paradox\HOI3\tfh\saves. Note the tfh sub-folder, because the base game has its own \saves folder, which is probably empty in your case. Mods will have their own sub-folders within the \tfh sub-folder to store saved games.

As for the previous topic about garrison units, MIL makes a reasonably cheap generic defense unit, which the AI will give the same consideration to as a regular INF unit, so it's usually enough to prevent the AI from launching an amphibious assault on your port. If the AI does decide to attack anyway, in spite of the garrison, MIL are significantly less effective on Defense than GAR, so 2xGAR has about the same ability to hold against an attack as 3xMIL, and are cheaper in terms of IC. The 3xMIL will still use less Leadership than the 2xGAR, but the GAR will use less Manpower in that case. If 2xMIL is sufficient, then MIL is clearly cheaper. GAR is also better for holding occupied non-core territory, since it has a Suppression value, and MIL does not, but GAR is too slow to go chasing after Partisans, so you need to support them with at least one reasonably mobile unit in the general neighborhood. MIL and GAR both have their uses, but there's more to consider than simply cost. My own preference is to use MIL in regions with bad infrastructure, and GAR in major ports and critical high-value and VP cities, as well as to ease supply constraints by reducing Revolt Risk in occupied bottleneck areas. I normally assign several GAR to a Corps, and then add either MIL or INF to the HQ to chase down partisans.

Saves are located in your Documents folder, under Paradox\HOI3\tfh\saves. Note the tfh sub-folder, because the base game has its own \saves folder, which is probably empty in your case. Mods will have their own sub-folders within the \tfh sub-folder to store saved games.

As for the previous topic about garrison units, MIL makes a reasonably cheap generic defense unit, which the AI will give the same consideration to as a regular INF unit, so it's usually enough to prevent the AI from launching an amphibious assault on your port. If the AI does decide to attack anyway, in spite of the garrison, MIL are significantly less effective on Defense than GAR, so 2xGAR has about the same ability to hold against an attack as 3xMIL, and are cheaper in terms of IC. The 3xMIL will still use less Leadership than the 2xGAR, but the GAR will use less Manpower in that case. If 2xMIL is sufficient, then MIL is clearly cheaper. GAR is also better for holding occupied non-core territory, since it has a Suppression value, and MIL does not, but GAR is too slow to go chasing after Partisans, so you need to support them with at least one reasonably mobile unit in the general neighborhood. MIL and GAR both have their uses, but there's more to consider than simply cost. My own preference is to use MIL in regions with bad infrastructure, and GAR in major ports and critical high-value and VP cities, as well as to ease supply constraints by reducing Revolt Risk in occupied bottleneck areas. I normally assign several GAR to a Corps, and then add either MIL or INF to the HQ to chase down partisans.

Thanks Kovax-- I might add that while I still play HOI3 I always do it with the mod DWI or WWII Immersion so my units can be more complex than the base game (and get combined arms bonuses for things like artillery). Militia also move a little faster than garrison but I definitely agree with the need for some mobile troops in spaces like south France or the Soviet Union and even Poland to wack a mole on the partisans. Mobile mini divisions of one or two regiments/brigades of mobile infantry plus some other stuff do the trick quite nicely, are a lot cheaper than full motorized divisions or line infantry divisions and can also in a pinch move into real combat situations without doing too badly (depending on the other stuff supplementing the motorized infantry).

Thank you I deleted a few saves although I didnt find as many as I thought, and it worked. My next save was OK. Many thanks also for the info on occupation divisions

ref the deletion of saves. There are far more saves when I get as far as deciding which one I want to use to actually start the game. Have you any idea where these are stored as I found none of them when looking. Cant find them on computer memory . If I right click to see if any info regarding where they are there is no reaction whatsoever. Would they be saved within the game memory? but if that is so where do the saves I found and deleted come from.I have a feeling there maybe a glitch that prevents saving now and again . Fortunately it doesnt happen every time. Perhaps Im not following the "proper" game story line. Defeated France without invading Holland , Belgium or Denmark. in fact those countries are drawing closer to me without much interference. Russia next?

As for saves, unless you're storing saves to cloud storage via Steam (I don't do Steam, so I'm not sure how it works), they should all be from the same location. Just in case, you might want to check all of the "old" locations from before the TFH expansion. First, the original location was a Saved Games folder in the HOI3 folder. The second location would be in a Saved Games folder in the tfh sub-folder within the HOI3 folder. The third and current location, as I mentioned earlier, is in a Saved Games folder within the tfh folder which in turn is inside your HOI3 folder (possibly within a Paradox folder) within your Documents folder. If it's a Steam setup, then that may add another layer of folders, and you'll need to ask a Steam user for further details.

If you've got a lot of small trades with Belgium, the Netherlands, etc., to boost Relations, then it's not unusual for them to drift toward you once France is gone. In a couple of GER campaigns, I went through the Maginot Line without declaring war on the low countries, in one game declaring war on YUG instead of POL, which meant that about a week later the UK declared war on GER, raising their own Threat level. In one game, the low countries remained as trading partners throughout the war. In another, however, Belgium began drifting back the other way and joined the Allies right before the Soviet Union collapsed....not a brilliant move. Keep a handful of divisions nearby in case that happens, and to put down the inevitable occasional revolt in France.

Last edited:
Hello again can anyone tell me the way to swap to another country . really just spying on them. One thing I do remember is that the game must be paused when doing this. Personally I believe that when doing the spying you should not make any changes to the enemy dispositions or production etc. Thats cheating. Its always niggled me a bit that even when not fighting there is no intelligence info.. it seems to me that many decisions were made due to the close proximity to one another tther should be knowledge gained about enemy dispositions and certainly when fighting going on between you.
Thanks in advane, as far as I remember there is a list of 3 letter identifiers for each country plus a computer key (CTRL?)

The tilde key "~" opens (and closes) the console. Don't use the shift key to capitalize it, it's actually the " ` " that opens the console, but the key is generally called "tilde".

The command to switch countries is "tag <NAME>", as in "tag GER", without the quotation marks and with the 3 letter country code capitalized. As you are aware, starting the clock while switched to another country will allow the AI to make changes in the country you were running before, and the AI can (and probably will) make a mess in under a second which might take you 6 months to undo. I ALWAYS save the game before attempting a tag switch, in case something goes wrong. If you don't know your target country's code, it's buried in a couple of the data files somewhere, viewable with a text editor, or you could just ask here. Good luck.

Many thanks again I used to have all countries written down but not sure where they are now. Actually wikipedia rings a bell

Hello again can anyone tell me the way to swap to another country . really just spying on them. One thing I do remember is that the game must be paused when doing this. Personally I believe that when doing the spying you should not make any changes to the enemy dispositions or production etc. Thats cheating. Its always niggled me a bit that even when not fighting there is no intelligence info.. it seems to me that many decisions were made due to the close proximity to one another tther should be knowledge gained about enemy dispositions and certainly when fighting going on between you.
Thanks in advane, as far as I remember there is a list of 3 letter identifiers for each country plus a computer key (CTRL?)
I can reinforce what Kovac said about just "looking" and not allowing time to advance because the AI will screw the country up that you are playing given any chance at all. If you want to spy, save the game you are playing exit, restart the game, select the save game you just left and at the start up menu click on the country you want to "spy on" and then restart the game and you will now be playing as the country of interest and see everything they have.

Thank you both and yes I did forget to pause at one time and in the end I just gave that game up.

To what degree do the Artillery units help within the division and also I have some independent artillery units to what degree are they useful?

Artillery is always good to have in a line division (ie, a regular Infantry or, with SP-Arty, in a mechanized formation (Infantry (mot), Infantry (Mech), or Armored)). Less helpful in units that are special tasks, such as Mountain or Marine, unless you're willing to accept the penalty for their use in the terrain. Absolutely unhelpful in Paratrooper formations, and worthless alone.

Artillery has relatively high firepower (growing stronger with each tech level relative to other units), but considerably less durability than a line brigade. Putting in ART instead of another INF produces a division that hits significantly harder, especially as the war drags on, but is a bit more brittle, and saves a considerable amount of Manpower compared to the alternative. From what I've seen, a 3xINF+ART will destroy a 4xINF division due to its higher firepower, but a 2xINF+2xART will run dangerously low on ORG in the process under the same conditions; even though it inflicts even more disproportionate casualties, its durability is significantly lower.

As said by Wraith11B, you don't want it in a division that's designed for special terrain, because its steep penalties in such situations will hamper the division at its primary task, even though it would make it more effective as another "generic" division.

Support units such as ART, AT, AC, AA, ENG, and so on (containing 1000 men instead of 3000) CANNOT fight without a line unit of some type (INF, CAV, MOT, ARM), and will auto-retreat from combat if attacked. That also applies to unaccompanied HQs, which is part of why many players attach line brigades directly to the HQ.