• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Rancher

Lt. General
25 Badges
Apr 2, 2010
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Darkest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV
I have only just come back to HOI3 after a long lapse in the wilderness and not playing games at all. Much has slipped my memory but on several of my HOI£ iterations I have two downloads as an example I have "Eye on the Reich" and DWI". Can I double click both or even should I click both.
Imfinding many questions bubbling to th surface from being absent for probably 7 or 8 years. So I hope this will find some of the people who can help.

I've never heard of either, it is likely those mods have been long abandoned and will not be okay for the latest patches.

DWI has played fairly well at the moment Eye on the Reich is not right as you get blacked out counters it seems, Have you heard of FNLB it was a mod that was concentrating on Italy or Downfall . another one mainly concerned with Germany. EOTR allowed divisions of 15 units and the HQ unit were built separately in the build queue
what are the latest Mods or perhaps the most used. I am very pleased to see that people are playing HOI3 and everyone hasn't decamped to HOI4. A game I just couldn't get into

• 1Like
Reactions:
One of the best mods in my book is BICE.
There are even submods to it like TRE/UTR/GGA/TDW which, if all added, make up a great game, for me that is, YMMV as they say. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Fox & Lion: Battalions is still around, as is Downfall. I've played both. I haven't heard of EotR.

FNLB does some rather drastic things with division design which I find very strange, but makes a lot of what I consider to be badly needed corrections, improvements, and additions to the events and decisions for many countries, not just Italy. I'm not fond of most of the changes to the divisions, but the other aspects of the mod are excellent in my opinion.

Downfall is more of a "better vanilla" than a major overhaul of the game, fixing a lot of minor issues and adding events and decisions.

As for mods such as BICE, that's a VERY drastic set of changes to almost every aspect of the game. The mod is very "railroaded", in my opinion, such as using massive combat modifiers to all-but guarantee a historical outcome at various points in time. I've got very mixed feelings about it, but I've got a lot of respect for the team that did all of the research and effort that went into the mod. Most likely, you'll either love it or hate it.

The Historical Plausibility Project (HPP) was a favorite of mine for the earlier expansions, but I don't like the direction they've taken it since then. Originally, it made it a bit harder to go "off the rails", but responded very well to changes in the situation if/when it did. Rather than being more "plausible", the recent changes primarily seem to be for multi-player balance and less freedom of action, with the single-player aspects suffering badly as a result. There were some proposed changes last year which looked promising, but not much activity since then.

There's also the Total Realism Project (TRP), which looks like it borrows heavily from HPP, but I ran into several instances where I STRONGLY disagreed with the developer's ideas and implementation, and gave up on it. It does include several very good ideas, however.

• 2Like
Reactions:
AHOI Treasure Chest from @Chromos just got an update few days ago. That one has to be interesting too. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Its great to hear the replies and although things have changed somewhat the basic player interest in the game id still the same , extreme. I would like to know what is regarded as the best route onward probably from TFH. I must say that some mods from my time expanded greatly the composition of the Division . Anything from 8 units to around 15. I guess I am one of those idiots who likes the realism of this type of Division. As I originally said I have been away for a long time and will be bothering everybody for tips and ways to do things so thanks so far and thanks for the future at least until I fall off my perch.

Eye on the Reich is the last reiteration of Divisions of the Deutsche Heere (DDH). Both are mods designed by Bruebottom, Schwabenland and later Pavilonie and must be played with DWI which later became WWII Immersion. Be careful with Eye on the Reich because there is a fatal crash to desktop associated with the "final" version at the time of either Italian entry into the war or the Vichy event. Earlier versions avoid the event-- I current use a DDH version because I could save/find the eye of the Reich early version. WWII Immersion (by Olebouch) works fine by itself though.

Thank you Phantomrider its all coming back to me now. Are DDH and WWII available still as I may need to make some changes or perhaps refreshment of my games. I do remember the warning about Eye on the Reich. could this be avoided in some way save before CTD and reload although writing that makes me think probably no way. Especially it would I think be impossible to forsee the exact time of the crash.
Its good to see people still playing HOI3, I did give 4 a bash but it just didnt seem to click with me. Are there any new developements coming for HOI3? Ive only just dipped into here and not had time to really read everything that is going on yet.
Just one question at this time if DDH is to be used click twice on both when launching.

Thank you Phantomrider its all coming back to me now. Are DDH and WWII available still as I may need to make some changes or perhaps refreshment of my games. I do remember the warning about Eye on the Reich. could this be avoided in some way save before CTD and reload although writing that makes me think probably no way. Especially it would I think be impossible to forsee the exact time of the crash.
Its good to see people still playing HOI3, I did give 4 a bash but it just didnt seem to click with me. Are there any new developements coming for HOI3? Ive only just dipped into here and not had time to really read everything that is going on yet.
Just one question at this time if DDH is to be used click twice on both when launching.

It is always good to hear from old on line friends. I really enjoyed the time when Olebouch, Brubottom, Schwabenland and Pavolini were active and coming up with new and improving versions seeming monthly. The final version of Eye on the Reich had the fatal crash in it and neither Schwabenland or Pavolini had the playable earlier version after the crash was detected (they could not go back). They also were unable to find and fix the crash bug after multiple attempts and finally gave up. In complex programs chaos theory has lots of opportunities to demonstrate the effects of Murphy's Law.

WWII Immersion is available through its web thread on this forum but it has been maintain by Count Blue with a link to a post of his a couple of pages back from the most recent. You can try the DDH thread as well to see if it is available or not. I was able to find an old version that I can play in my downloads section of my computer.

With regard to launching the combined programs you need to go to the HOI 3 launcher and make sure the WWII Immersion box and the DDH box are checked off in the "mods) area. When they are you get a picture of the SHAEF leaders sitting at the conference table instead of Paradox art work in the start up.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks for that info and iyis so good to be in touch again. I have another question now.
I am playing the version with all the brass round the table. Can you tell me do I only get better the MKI and II tanks in '41 with the new division structure as I have Medium tank , all 4 parts up to 1938 which I believe is status 3. but no improvement in Tanks. I have just reached January 1938

Do recall that the standard which is presented in the Research tab is for the next available level of research, not your present level...

You are quite correct in that but I think if I remember correctly the leve of improvement was level 2 but will check that. Thanks for getting in touch

Thanks for that info and iyis so good to be in touch again. I have another question now.
I am playing the version with all the brass round the table. Can you tell me do I only get better the MKI and II tanks in '41 with the new division structure as I have Medium tank , all 4 parts up to 1938 which I believe is status 3. but no improvement in Tanks. I have just reached January 1938

If I recall you need the 1938 level completed for medium tanks before you get the option of Mk III/IV tank regiments for Germany. (It may only be completed armor and gun tech not these plus engine and maintenance). However, there is an event which does not come online immediately after you get the tech advance -- maybe weeks to a couple of months afterward.

Basically you are right I didnt notice an event come up but the III/IV became available in the lists although the divisional build is still not allowed until 1941 .
However Ive found if you delete the earlier Division with the I/II tanks they can be deleted and the later marks substituted. Thanks for the answer. The next one is about HQ's I think.

This one is about HQ's. Which version of HOI3 asked you to build divisional HQ separately. I remember that you had to put them in your build queue at the top and they were built very quickly. When playing DWI the build list has a whole list that I am not using at the moment, should I be using them. I did also notice that when building a panzer division of my own deign, it built with a infantry symbol and had a name based on the HQ. Interesting!

Uhm, HQs aren't a "built" unit, they're created on the map. What version and mods are you playing?

This one is about HQ's. Which version of HOI3 asked you to build divisional HQ separately. I remember that you had to put them in your build queue at the top and they were built very quickly. When playing DWI the build list has a whole list that I am not using at the moment, should I be using them. I did also notice that when building a panzer division of my own deign, it built with a infantry symbol and had a name based on the HQ. Interesting!

in DWI when you build your divisions from scratch you are supposed to include a division HQ unit with them. Even though various corps hq are included in the brigade list that are used for divisions you should not create them this way- I think they may cause the game to crash. For corps and army and army group HQ create them on the map like you do in plain HOI 3 (they appear instantaneously. And yes the type of HQ you pick for your self made divisions will determine the default title given to that division when it appears. On the other hand if you don't like the name you can change it after the division appears on the map.

I just refreshed my memory on a few of those mods.

Loaded up Downfall, playing as Hungary. Unfortunately, when the death of their HoG Gyombos occurs in the latter half of 1936, it forces an election, despite the clear message that "This government does not hold elections". (Historically, Hungary DID have an elected Parliament, although the Head of State was either a King or Regent, and the Head of Government was chosen by the Parliament, not directly by the public). No matter how much I try to support the ruling party, it's simply impossible to overcome the 15+ point lead in Organization and sizable lead in Popularity that the Conservative party has over the ruling Paternal party in so short a time, and the government changes. From then on, there is no way to put the historical party back in power, unless some outside monarchy uses spies to raise that party's Organization. Hungary is also heavily constrained by Neutrality, and Germany and Romania are seeing 28+ Threat from the SU. Hungary, sharing a border with the SU now that they've taken half of Poland and declared war on Finland, and with a rival ideology (no matter which faction wins the 1936 election), is only seeing 9 threat from them, so I'm still forced to pump a fair amount of IC into Consumer Goods, can't join a faction, can't make alliances, and am otherwise locked out of doing anything interesting until at least 1941. Basically, playing HUN in Downfall is not historical or fun.

Tried HPP, and found that in the latest version, no matter which choices you pick in the early events, you either get the historical claims during Munich or in First Vienna, but cannot get Hungary's actual pre-WWI borders or all of Slovakia, the latter being possible in earlier versions. The mod's mechanics prevent you from taking back any of your historical land from Yugoslavia or Romania, other than what was historically granted by Germany. Funny part is, Hungary gets those historical land awards (no more, no less) regardless of which choices you make, so there is no point in playing them: the outcome is pre-determined. Worse, the "different continents" penalties to trade and Threat mean that you can only trade with countries in Western Europe which are either about to be gobbled up by Germany, or part of the Axis and already short on those resources themselves. I quit shortly before "Danzig or War", running critically low on Metal and unable to do anything about it other than drop down to a full civilian economy.

Now I'm looking for a working link to Fox & Lion: Battalions, since the link in their forum thread doesn't seem to go to an actual download.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Wraith11D Its world war 2 immersion (DWI) . I agree that all the versions available at this time you dont need to build HQ's but there was a vrsion some years ago where yo hadto move the HQ to the op of the build list and they were " built" very quickly.
Phantomrider thanks again I am usually using the listed forms in the build list. wish I could remember the vrsion more for interest sake than anything else
Its Good to talk and keep safe