• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It should be removed all together, because it makes absolutely no sense. Trade leagues aren't merchant republics. Not even close. This just seems like a lazy way to implement something new just for the sake of implementing something new.

Whatever you think about the idea it's better than the old setup where lubeck was given to mecklenburg for absolutely no reason whatsoever...

Okay, I like this government type, but changing to it with a non-starting state is glitched, unless there's something someone can explain that I'm doing wrong. For example, I'm playing as Italy (genoa and venice have been assimilated) and I have an Admin. Republic. I have a National Decision with all requirements but one met allowing me to convert to a Merchant Republic, except it says I require 20 active merchants. I have six monopolies, and alltogether about 50 active merchants in different COTs, five of which are owned by me. Is there something wrong with the code where it doesn't recognize the fact that I have 20 active merchants or does that refer to something else?

Okay, I like this government type, but changing to it with a non-starting state is glitched, unless there's something someone can explain that I'm doing wrong. For example, I'm playing as Italy (genoa and venice have been assimilated) and I have an Admin. Republic. I have a National Decision with all requirements but one met allowing me to convert to a Merchant Republic, except it says I require 20 active merchants. I have six monopolies, and alltogether about 50 active merchants in different COTs, five of which are owned by me. Is there something wrong with the code where it doesn't recognize the fact that I have 20 active merchants or does that refer to something else?

The decisions is bugged in 4.0. Register you EUIII base game and you can download the 4.1 beta patch from the tech support forums, which (I thinK) fixes the bug.