Heir doesn't want to die in 1.12

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Axxa

Recruit
6 Badges
Jul 31, 2009
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
I remember that in earlier versions killing a heir was not that big a problem. However in 1.12 I haven't yet found any way to kill my lovely son. Have sent him into battle vs rebels leading two mercs stack for about 100 times .. he returned alive from all the battles. What could be the best way to kill a heir in 1.12 ?

Damn gotta respect that tenacity.

Especialy when they are sunk in the middle of the pacific and 0-0-0 derpson manages to swim all the way to the palace.

Reactions:
Damn gotta respect that tenacity.

Especialy when they are sunk in the middle of the pacific and 0-0-0 derpson manages to swim all the way to the palace.

Ship sunk in the middle of the pacific.
Derpson manages to swin all the way back to the palace.
Derpson become the new king.
Dies 3 months after with a 0 years old heir thus triggering a 15 Years 0/0/0 regency.

You can't escape the fate...

Reactions:
This is why I always try to become a republic

Reactions:
If you want to kill a ruler/heir it is better to put them into battles that will be close calls and that will last a while also have them lead sieges. 1k stacks into hopeless odds doesn't work.

Reactions:
Let the rebels or some OPM siege a fort. Put Henry the 4th as the commander of the siege with a stack that is too small to advance it. Congrats, you have now doubled his chances of death.

Reactions:
If you want to kill a ruler/heir it is better to put them into battles that will be close calls and that will last a while also have them lead sieges. 1k stacks into hopeless odds doesn't work.

Yeah, I think you want the maximum battle ticks you can get, not 1 round auto-wipes.

There's one more problem with rebels. My vassals tend to kill them all pretty fast and take back all my forts. I suppose that I have to take an island to make it work..

Last edited:
Old trick but still works: let heir do an assault on a fort each month. That adds a third death roll. One age, one general, one assault roll.

Unless they changeed it.

Reactions:
The tactic of sending an heir to lead a doomed stack is actually counterproductive because death chance is only increased during days in battle, and if you're just sending suicide stacks your battles will be short...

Reactions:
If you play the colonial game you can consider colonising a province in africa and puting an army there to defend the settlement lead by your heir. Native rises pretty often there and your son will have to automatically fight a lot of battles (work less as the game goes because natives do not tech up...).
Just put smaller and smaller stacks

In EU3, making your heir\ruler a general and then *not* assigning them to an army somehow made them die sooner, in my experience. You could try that. Or plonk his army on a bunch of transports and send them on a journey across the world.

The tactic of sending an heir to lead a doomed stack is actually counterproductive because death chance is only increased during days in battle, and if you're just sending suicide stacks your battles will be short...

Thanks. I'm pretty new here but it's really nice to have the devs pretty active at the forums. Especially when it comes to little insights about game mechanics like this that I hadn't thought myself.